• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

It was a rumor spread by some people at FromSoft, id have to dig up where I found it. Also considering they both center around the influence of the "Old Ones" - its not a far stretch.
That's the farthest stretch in the world haha. They have literally nothing in common, and everything they do have in common, they also have in common with Dark Souls.

If they are in the same universe, they're so unconnected it doesn't matter. It's like if they game out and said this was the same universe as Super Mario. So?

So, to start from the beginning - what is the Night of the Hunt? Obviously, there are Hunters hunting the Beasts. From what I've understood, the Night of the Hunt is the special full-moon night where beasts roam freely on the streets. The few remaining uncorrupted people are hiding in their houses behind the incense, while everyone on the streets are basically beasts (or half-beasts anyway), seeking for blood maybe?. On top of that - the area around cathedral is full with clerics (those guys with lamps) and Church Giants. These are not beasts, but still attack you on sight - perhaps assuming that you are infected? Was there any area where you can see both the common (infected or half-beasts) people and church forces? I don't recall, so I gather they are enemies after all.
One thing that is rather unclear to me is why the Old Yahrnam is sealed? The beasts are on the streets anyway, what is the difference here?

So, to start from the beginning - what is the Night of the Hunt? Obviously, there are Hunters hunting the Beasts. From what I've understood, the Night of the Hunt is the special full-moon night where beasts roam freely on the streets. The few remaining uncorrupted people are hiding in their houses behind the incense, while everyone on the streets are basically beasts (or half-beasts anyway), seeking for blood maybe?. On top of that - the area around cathedral is full with clerics (those guys with lamps) and Church Giants. These are not beasts, but still attack you on sight - perhaps assuming that you are infected? Was there any area where you can see both the common (infected or half-beasts) people and church forces? I don't recall, so I gather they are enemies after all.
One thing that is rather unclear to me is why the Old Yahrnam is sealed? The beasts are on the streets anyway, what is the difference here?
I don't thijk the normal mobs were always beasts. They're normal people hunting too, but they're infected so they get bloodlust and attack you, and don't seem to notice they're transformed.

Old Yharnam generates a different kind of beast, and seems to be more of an infection (coughing like gilbert) rather than an effect of blood transmission or whatever I think.

That's the farthest stretch in the world haha. They have literally nothing in common, and everything they do have in common, they also have in common with Dark Souls.

If they are in the same universe, they're so unconnected it doesn't matter. It's like if they game out and said this was the same universe as Super Mario. So?

jim-office-who-cares-gif.gif

Its just a fun thing to think about, that the world that Demon's Souls occurred in is the same one that Bloodborne did as well.

Damn man, I bet you're a blast at parties.

hell yes, Micolash's VA is outstanding, i want him more in future Souls games
Micolash + Doll/Maiden in Black for top tier voice acting.

Honestly, if they brought her back to voice a female character that levels you up every game, I would be extremely happy. I just love her voice.

Everyone in the whole area is influenced by the blood infection except the higher up people - IE the lamp / church guys, the tentacle heads, etc... they are mutations/agents of the Great Ones

Its just a fun thing to think about, that the world that Demon's Souls occurred in is the same one that Bloodborne did as well.

I'm sure it's also fun to think that it's set in the same universe as all of the Lovecraftian novels lol. And every Fromsoft game! And Dark Souls! Just think, maybe Cthullu is in the water somewhere, it just doesn't matter because you'll never see him! And maybe somewhere Doctor Strange is fighting Shuma Gorath, because he traveled into a different dimension! Woahhh

It's stupid haha. If anything it does nothing but take away from the universe, because now it's confusing why Patches is some undying monster and why people with the exact same voice keep showing up to level people up.

Auctopus

Actually, 'fun things to think about' and the has romanticisation and dramatisation of the lore is what has ruined a lot of lore building in Souls. It's the sort of stuff Vaati gets up to.

Sanke__

But what about the aliens?
Isn't it all just aliens?

The living string says that the brain is a great one that micolash brought back but it is an alien
So when they talk about other realms and stuff it is all just aliens

Everyone in the whole area is influenced by the blood infection except the higher up people - IE the lamp / church guys, the tentacle heads, etc... they are mutations/agents of the Great Ones
Ehh, the higher ups are affected though. Church hunters you see have gone mad, and even fake Iosafka is surprised that she's not "just a beast", presumably because she's been using blood ministration as well, which makes you a beast eventually. And I mean... probably Laurence too yeah?

I think the reason those cloaked enemies in particular aren't beastly is because they're Pthumerians. They don't seem to turn into beasts really, the only difference is the Beast-Possessed Soul in one of the Pthumeru dungeons.

Maybe they're like completely brainwashed by the Great Ones, so they can't become base enough to become beasts. The reason squid faces and such aren't beasts is because they have too much insight.

Ehh, the higher ups are affected though. Church hunters you see have gone mad, and even fake Iosafka is surprised that she's not "just a beast", presumably because she's been using blood ministration as well, which makes you a beast eventually. And I mean... probably Laurence too yeah?

I think the reason those cloaked enemies in particular aren't beastly is because they're Pthumerians. They don't seem to turn into beasts really, the only difference is the Beast-Possessed Soul in one of the Pthumeru dungeons.

Maybe they're like completely brainwashed by the Great Ones, so they can't become base enough to become beasts.

Yea thats what I was kind of hinting at - I mean yea there are some high-level beasts, but it seems the brainwashed/tools of the Great Ones kind of maintain their form / sanity (Micolash is a good example)

Yea thats what I was kind of hinting at - I mean yea there are some high-level beasts, but it seems the brainwashed/tools of the Great Ones kind of maintain their form / sanity (Micolash is a good example)
Definitely! It seems like all transformations are caused by great ones, but they have different origins.

Beasthood is blood-based, and you transform when you consumed by your bloodlust and instinct (which gives you extra strength). Blood's instinct ties is why it works as a sedative.

Weird tentacle shit and arcane stuff is associated with the opposite, being able to understand everything for the way it really is. Unfortunately people can't handle that most of the time and they go crazy and shit, which is why they need blood to bring them back down.
(that's probably why Laurence combined the two in the form of the healing church).

So you don't see high-insight/arcane things turning into monsters because they're above that shit. You don't see beasts using magic because they're too reliant on instinct.

LiK

Its beyond an easter egg - Bloodborne is rumored to be in the same world/universe as Demon's Souls. The main protagonist of DeS was a "Great One/Old One"

I know, during development, they wanted it to have connections to Demon's but decided to make it its own thing. ENB talked about it. so it's basically easter eggs now unless there are more connections.

Guevara

Why does Frenzy kill you, though? Shouldn't it turn you into a beast?

It doesn't make sense to the lore AND it's bad game design.

Why does Frenzy kill you, though? Shouldn't it turn you into a beast?

It doesn't make sense to the lore AND it's bad game design.
No, it should do the opposite! Frenzy is when you see more than you can comprehend. It's the exact opposite of beasthood.

It makes your head explode, but thats not the same as embracing instinct if that makes sense.

The church people are not necessarily all infected with the decease - but there are beasts among them for sure - Vicar Amelia is an example of that.
Another thing to note is that when night falls, the kidnappers appear on the streets. They kidnap people (infected or not) for further use in their experiments in Unseen Village.
The Witches of Hemwick are another faction, seemingly not associated with church or beasts. They are also trying to reach the Great Ones with eyes and rituals.

The church people are not necessarily all infected with the decease - but there are beasts among them for sure - Vicar Amelia is an example of that.
Another thing to note is that when night falls, the kidnappers appear on the streets. They kidnap people (infected or not) for further use in their experiments in Unseen Village.
The Witches of Hemwick are another faction, seemingly not associated with church or beasts. They are also trying to reach the Great Ones with eyes and rituals.
I don't know what to think of the baghers. I think they're Pthumerians, but I have no idea why they all die after you kill Rom lol.

I don't know what to think of the baghers. I think they're Pthumerians, but I have no idea why they all die after you kill Rom lol.

They do? Hmm, interesting, never noticed that. That being said - there are plenty of strange beings in Yahrnam. Big guys with bricks, executioners (big guys with axes), Church giants - what are they, I wonder.

WGMBY

How does killing the moon presence make you a great one though? Never understood that. Like transcend the hunt makes sense, but that's not supposed to happen, it's not like the moon presence rewards you for killing it.

And it's not like killing a great one makes you one, because the entire rest of the game contradicts that :p or does it?

I think ingesting the parts of the other great ones allows you to basically usurp the moon presence in the hunter's dream. That's how I read it anyway.

Maybe it only works with the moon presence because you're connected to it somehow? That's if you agree with the theory that the moon presence controls the dream and is using you.

Guevara

No, it should do the opposite! Frenzy is when you see more than you can comprehend. It's the exact opposite of beasthood.

It makes your head explode, but thats not the same as embracing instinct if that makes sense.

I guess I don't get it:

Low Insight/High Beasthood/High Frenzy Resist <----------------------> High Insight/Low Beasthood/Low Frenzy Resist

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Maybe they're like completely brainwashed by the Great Ones, so they can't become base enough to become beasts. The reason squid faces and such aren't beasts is because they have too much insight.
Laurence is most definitely a beast, based on his skull. And someone fucking cracked his face/eye socket for him lol

I guess I don't get it:

Low Insight/High Beasthood/High Frenzy Resist ---------------------- High Insight/Low Beasthood/Low Frenzy Resist
Yeah! So like beasthood is how likely you are to be overcome by your instinct and bloodlust. Insight is how much you know, but humans are meant to be more like beasts so you can't comprehend too much. You're more susceptible to frenzy (basically going insane because your mind can't comprehend stuff) with high insight because you're already full of so much "forbidden" knowledge if that makes sense, so it's easier to push you over the edge.

Gbraga

Frenzy is hardcore without the frenzy res rune at 99 insight.

Ignorance is indeed bliss. I kept as much insight as I could throughout all of my first playthrough, just to see if it unlocked secrets, but now on NG+ I'm gonna spend that shit like there's no tomorrow.

My weapon has arcane damage, so I guess I'll just buy sets I already own to sell them for echoes.

Bizazedo

They do? Hmm, interesting, never noticed that. That being said - there are plenty of strange beings in Yahrnam. Big guys with bricks, executioners (big guys with axes), Church giants - what are they, I wonder.

Yes. Their bodies are several places after a certain point in the game. It's my big unanswered question from the game.

What killed them and why?

Yes. Their bodies are several places after a certain point in the game. It's my big unanswered question from the game.

What killed them and why?

AFAIK the high-tier Great One lackeys look down upon/shun the "beasts" (ogres, werewolves, crows, hybrids, etc...) - Micolash says something to the effect of beasts being a distasteful side effect of the Great One's blood / influence on humanity and the world. Most likely an amygdala or something else killed them.

I think ingesting the parts of the other great ones allows you to basically usurp the moon presence in the hunter's dream. That's how I read it anyway.

Maybe it only works with the moon presence because you're connected to it somehow? That's if you agree with the theory that the moon presence controls the dream and is using you.

I think that theory has to be true - its why when you kill Gehrman the Moon Presence shows up and tries to eat (control) you - to use you as the next Gehrman. When you reject it you end up killing it and taking over the place.

AFAIK the high-tier Great One lackeys look down upon/shun the "beasts" (ogres, werewolves, crows, hybrids, etc...) - Micolash says something to the effect of beasts being a distasteful side effect of the Great One's blood / influence on humanity and the world. Most likely an amygdala or something else killed them.
I don't think the bag dudes are beasts though. They use magic and look like Pthumerians, not werewolves or anything. Compare that to trolls and werewolves who are beasts, and the crows which gorge on blood (are beasts). The hybrids which only exist inside the dream, so I think they're neither here nor there.

I guess it could have been those three hunters, but why? Maybe the bag men are heretics since they cover their eyes... but why do they bring you to a chapel that worships Amygdala then?

Micolash also doesn't say that. He says humans are inherently beastial, and only through eyes (insight) can they rise above that, which is why drinking (human? Old?) blood soothes your nerves and prevents frenzy/why spending insight raises your Beast Bar.

"As you once did for the vacuous Rom, grant us eyes, grant us eyes. Plant eyes on our brains, to cleanse our beastly idiocy."

DSix

Banned
Ok, I'm on team Laurence is the skull, but I was thinking about something while taking a shower, so please, entertain me.

What if Laurence is the Moon Presence?

We know from the Lecture Building 2nd Floor lore notes that Laurence beckoned the "nameless moon presence", and another note in the same room says "three third cords". When you consume three third cords, you not only get an audience with this nameless moon presence, but you have a chance to kill it and become a great one yourself. What if you just become a new nameless moon presence?

Laurence beckoned the moon presence, and was never mentioned again after this, right?

Gehrman's dialogue in his sleep, saying "Oh, Laurence, what's taking you so long", that the current theory I follow explains by him just not knowing that Laurence is dead because he's trapped in the dream (and it makes for such a powerful and sad line, I love it) could also be explained by Gehrman not calling for Laurence, the scholar, but Laurence, the nameless moon presence.

I'm liking that theory a lot. Make sense of why Gerhnam is involved with it and plays along. Too bad the skull is giving troubles tho.

CrovaxPSO

I think of Frenzy as an "insanity" thing and not really a frenzy. I have no idea if this is the intent behind it, but I had been thinking of it as going so insane that your character attempts to kill himself/herself and that's what causes the huge damage. It fits the Lovecraft framing pretty well.

Uthred

I think of Frenzy as an "insanity" thing and not really a frenzy. I have no idea if this is the intent behind it, but I had been thinking of it as going so insane that your character attempts to kill himself/herself and that's what causes the huge damage. It fits the Lovecraft framing pretty well.

Frenzy feels like a poor localisation, they should have just called it Madness or Fugue or anything other than frenzy which is traditionally associated with beastly (no pun intended) behaviour

How does killing the moon presence make you a great one though? Never understood that. Like transcend the hunt makes sense, but that's not supposed to happen, it's not like the moon presence rewards you for killing it.

And it's not like killing a great one makes you one, because the entire rest of the game contradicts that :p or does it?

My initial thought was that, given the cutscene before the true ending, specifically where you're "kissed", that the Moon Presence is a (semi) sentient celestial womb and by eating the umbilical cords we create a full one which allows us to attach ourselves to said womb thus birthing ourselves as a great one infant. Not super sure how beating the shit out of the moon presence ties into that, maybe thats us breaking through the cosmic placenta?

Theres a case to be made for that interpretation I think, to quote myself,

"... And when the Great Ones descend, a womb will be blessed with child."

So a Great One descends, a particular woman is impregnated by it, a woman who has corrupt blood that makes her suitable to carry a "Child of Blood" (and be impregnated by the Great One's emanations it seems, no tentacled turkey baster in sight). This child is lost, which leaves a) the Great One wanting a surrogate child and b) a dead great one infant. The dead infant great one gets us a Cord of the Eye:

"A great relic, also known as the Cord of the Eye. Every infant Great One has this precursor to the umbilical cord."

So we can see that when born (dead) the Great One infant doesnt have a full umbilical cord they just have something that could become one.

"Provost Willem sought the Cord in order to elevate his being and thoughts to those of a Great One, by lining his brain with eyes. The only choice, he knew, if man were to ever match Their greatness." -Iosefka

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream." - Abandoned Workshop

Assuming the Pale Moon is the Moon Presence, the Cord of the Eye seems to be a pre-requisite to getting an audience with the Moon Presence. The Moon Presence is not itself a Great One but seems to be a sentient transformative force (or cosmic womb if you prefer), possibly a servant or avatar of Kos, that can bring about a new Great One, the surrogate child. It would appear that there have been three abortive great one birthing attempts given the reference above to it being the third cord. The reason none of them have worked is that the cord of the eye is only one part of the umbilical cord so those using it coudnt connect proper to the cosmic womb/moon presence. Though its certainlly the key to encountering the pale moon and to uplifting oneself so it seems reasonable to assume the two are synonymous.

Without a full umbilical cord the Moon Presence couldnt give birth to a new Great One so its basically in the process of birthing something (hence the Hunters Moon and the nearness of the Moon Presence). This half born thing is basically a dream without a dreamer (Great Old One). In this case the Hunters Dream, which seems to be both the hub area and the most dominant reality/closest reality to the "real" Yharnam. The Hunter's Dream is the cause of the beasts and they cant be "vanquished" until the reality of the Hunter's Dream is supplanted by someone successfully connecting to the Moon Presence

"Handwritten scrawl: Seek paleblood to transcend the hunt." / "To escape this dreadful Hunter's Dream, halt the source of the spreading scourge of beasts, lest the night carry on forever."

Later the game more or less explicitly tells you to kill some baby Great Ones to get those sweet sweet Cord of Eyes - "Nightmarish rituals crave a newborn. Find one, and silence its harrowing cry."

I feel the "Great One descends -> Corrupted blood woman impregnated -> child lost -> Cord of Eyes available -> call down moon presence for a shot at ascension" cycle is basically right and I think the Moon Presence as a semi-sentient Great One womb works as well. If a Great One always loses their child then it stand to reason that there must be alternate routes to Great Ones increasing in number, which would be using a full umbilical cord to attach to the Moon Presence (the true ending) or having Kos take "mercy" and give you "eyes" (Rom). So the other Great Ones either came about by similar avenues or were fully extra-terrestrial in nature ( Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos, her name implies she is one of the original or "pure" Great Ones birthed somehow from Kos).

I dont really think the theories which the Moon Presence a more active role (or involve it in a series of sinister machinations) hold up , it seems the most mindless of the Great Ones and I dont think theres any in game support of it being a Great One either. I think the Hunters Dream is a proto-great one brought about by Gherman's incomplete interaction with the Moon Presence.

I'm not sure what you meant at the bottom there with the Dream being a great one, but the rest makes a lot of sense considering what happens! Why does Gehrman try to kill you though, then?

Unrelated, but more stuff about beasthood being tied to Loran/being the opposite of Insight/Arcane. Both the beast claw and Beast Roar come from Irreverant Izzy of Loran. He's Irreverant, which makes you think he didn't worship nobody. They're also both from Darkbeasts, and bolt is strong against Kin, suggesting strong beasts can seriously damage the great ones.

Victrix

*beard*
Speaking of the doll, anybody notice when revisiting the dream with 0 insight, the doll is back to being inanimate? Wonder how else the dream is affected by insight. And what is insight? Delusion power?

Insight is equal to the number of eyes on your brain

On my NG+ i totally skipped the Old Yharnam until after i beat Darkbeast Paarl and i was able to do the side-quest.

Even if I say have killed rom and did help her with Henryk?

Ok my bad, i thought Henryk was the machine gun guy at old Yharman.Yes you have to kill Henryk to progress the quest.If you helped her during the fight and didn't kill Henryk,that means that when you left he probably killed her.Go check The Tomb to see if he's alive or not.If he is and Eileen is not there,that means the quest is over.She normaly shows up at the entrance of the grand Cathedral(and after you've opened an entrance with either the key or the Old Abandoned Shop shortcut), after you beat Rom(and having killed Henryk)

What if having Paleblood is a pre-requisite for transcending the hunt? I don't necessarily think Moon Presence = Paleblood, but rather something needed to be part of some sort of lineage?

Just speculation on my part. And thinking back to the opening intro.

What if having Paleblood is a pre-requisite for transcending the hunt? I don't necessarily think Moon Presence = Paleblood, but rather something needed to be part of some sort of lineage?

Just speculation on my part. And thinking back to the opening intro.
The only thing about that is that it doesn't fit with the "What a Paleblood Sky!" note in Yahar'gul, which shows the moon.

Also, who said they thought Celestial Emmisary was a way to contact the beyond, not another way around? I think I'm inclined to agree.

The half human hand on the Iosafka clinic alien
The fact that Imposter Doctor seems to be a healing church member
The fact that C. E. drops Communion, which in its description mentions the healing church's attempts to contact the beyond.

It certainly seems like Choir members are trying to talk with Ebreitas (the left behind one who the Choir garb says they work with) by turning themselves into weird aliens. Doesn't make much sense though without any other info. Maybe it has to do with those berries.

But C.E. is a Great One, doesn't that mean they've succeeded in making their own? I guess communion could go both ways.

The only thing about that is that it doesn't fit with the "What a Paleblood Sky!" note in Yahar'gul, which shows the moon.

Also, who said they thought Celestial Emmisary was a way to contact the beyond, not another way around? I think I'm inclined to agree.

The fact that C. E. drops Communion, which in its description mentions the healing church's attempts to contact the beyond.

It certainly seems like Choir members are trying to talk with Ebreitas (the left behind one who the Choir garb says they work with) by turning themselves into weird aliens. Doesn't make much sense though without any other info. Maybe it has to do with those berries.

But C.E. is a Great One, doesn't that mean they've succeeded in making their own? I guess communion could go both ways.

Ah yes, that note does complicate things. I'm very interested in where this all goes.

GorillaJu

Both in my NG and NG+ she isn't killed (in the Cathedral Chapel).Don't know what triggers it.I didn't recruit Adella and Arriana in NG and i didn't recruit Adella again in NG+.Sent Cannibal in Clinic both times.Haven't managed to recruit the guy nearby Arriana's location to Cathedral.

If you get a bunch of sedatives from her, she'll go out to get some more and won't make the trip back.

If you get a bunch of sedatives from her, she'll go out to get some more and won't make the trip back.

In my playthrough she left to get more (left me a note), and she did indeed come back after another boss or two and continued to give me sedatives. Maybe if you don't go looking for her she comes out alright? No news is good news?

ExVicis

So I think we need to work out this question. Is the Celestial Emissary an Old One that the Church/Choir was able to find and use to contact other Old Ones or was it formerly a human or something that also was elevated like how Rom was? Because that seems like an important detail to figure out.

In my playthrough she left to get more (left me a note), and she did indeed come back after another boss or two and continued to give me sedatives. Maybe if you don't go looking for her she comes out alright? No news is good news?
Oh no, eventually she will even if you don't look for her. Other NPCs will let you know something horrible has happened.

I'm just curious if the sound design for you hearing multiple bosses early in the game was intentional and if there was a deeper reason for it? In central Yharnam when you first climb up the ladder you hear the Cleric Beast's scream which makes sense since it's close by. When I got past the mob and made my way to the fountain area where the ogre banging on the door and the crows are, I heard that cradle lullaby you hear when fighting Mergo's Wet Nurse in the crows' vicinity.

Found the sound design to be clever and subtle foreshadowing.

I'm just curious if the sound design for you hearing multiple bosses early in the game was intentional and if there was a deeper reason for it? In central Yharnam when you first climb up the ladder you hear the Cleric Beast's scream which makes sense since it's close by. When I got past the mob and made my way to the fountain area where the ogre banging on the door and the crows are, I heard that cradle lullaby you hear when fighting Mergo's Wet Nurse in the crows' vicinity.

Found the sound design to be clever and subtle foreshadowing.

It's like the sound is just drained from every area as the game goes on...that's how I've felt.

DSix

Banned

I think the fact that the Church can turn other humans into those is proof enough. The only question lies with the Celestial Emissary being named a Great One. Where is it said that he is one?

Coconut

Banned
Ok my bad, i thought Henryk was the machine gun guy at old Yharman.Yes you have to kill Henryk to progress the quest.If you helped her during the fight and didn't kill Henryk,that means that when you left he probably killed her.Go check The Tomb to see if he's alive or not.If he is and Eileen is not there,that means the quest is over.She normaly shows up at the entrance of the grand Cathedral(and after you've opened an entrance with either the key or the Old Abandoned Shop shortcut), after you beat Rom(and having killed Henryk)

So I didn't help her with henryk never even messed with him or Eileen in fact I never saw henryk and I went to the Tomb twice and I never saw him. So I warp to the Grand Cathedral and Eileen is there and is super aggro. I have no clue why.i have killed like 6 other hunters.

Also I never noticed this but after you kill rom the sound of a baby's cry is mixed into the background. Cheers to that bit of creepiness.

So I didn't help her with henryk never even messed with him or Eileen in fact I never saw henryk and I went to the Tomb twice and I never saw him. So I warp to the Grand Cathedral and Eileen is there and is super aggro. I have no clue why.

Ok If you kill her, you take her badge and you can buy her clothes and Blades of Mercy.You'll only miss a rune (but a good one!),if you helped her before.

Top Bottom