• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Jellie

I have one a question that is probably better asked in this thread then the OT, I cleared Iosefka's Clinic from the back entrance and got the Invitation to Cainhurst Castle.

I then got Kidnapped to rescue Adell and kill the Pearl Boss, I then went to Witches Abode or whatever that place is called where I fought the 3 witches Boss.

However this time something went different when I went to the centre and killed those dogs and the 2 Executioners.

I got a cinematic and a carriage appeared, I didn't know what was happening so I I left it alone,was I supposed to take the carriage as soon as possible? or Will it always be there?

I still got some other areas to clear like the forbidden woods and such and I'm just wondering if I stuffed up?(repercussions as far as NPCs go)

Thanks.
that's how you get to the castle

that's how you get to the castle

Oh yeah I know that as I searched on the net, however I cant find anything indicating that I should of went straight away? Can I catch it any time I please at my own leisure? (I cant play for a couple of days due to work)

Will me going now affect NPCs? or will me now putting it off affect NPCs? What I mean is can this lead to a death of a NPC by me putting it off or not?

Thanks.(I really appreciate the quick response I got)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah I know that as I searched on the net, however I cant find anything indicating that I should of went straight away? Can I catch it any time I please at my own leisure? (I cant play for a couple of days due to work)

Will me going now affect NPCs? or will me now putting it off affect NPCs? What I mean is can this lead to a death of a NPC by me putting it off or not?

Take the carriage. There's a lamp right after.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I killed the horses and they still came back :p just go to light the lamp.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So I guess it isn't too late even though I went back to Hunter's Dream after the cinematic, Instead of taking the carriage, phew that Is what I was worried about.

Oh that is good to hear, not the part about killing the horses though :)

be sure to wear something cool though, because you'll get your picture taken for the Achievement ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm assuming that Mergo is the Moon Presence, the product of an ancient Great One contact ritual that predates the events of Bloodborne by quite some time, and was likely a child of Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen, forcibly taken from her as part of the ritual and given to the Mergo's Wet Nurse creature. Or the Mergo the child was forcibly taken from her and murdered as part of the ritual, hence the note that suggests silencing a newborn to grant meeting with the Great Ones. I think the former is more likely.

Tactics18

It'll be interesting to see if someone will find a use for the Yharnam stone.
I checked and it didn't unlock new items at the Insight vendor.

Also, I had the doll recite a poem in my game, which is apparently rare.
"O flora, of the moon, of the dream. O little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients... Let the hunter be safe, let him find comfort. And let this dream, his captor... foretell a pleasant awakening... be, one day, a fond, distant memory..."

I'm assuming that Mergo is the Moon Presence, the product of an ancient Great One contact ritual that predates the events of Bloodborne by quite some time, and was likely a child of Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen, forcibly taken from her as part of the ritual and given to the Mergo's Wet Nurse creature. Or the Mergo the child was forcibly taken from her and murdered as part of the ritual, hence the note that suggests silencing a newborn to grant meeting with the Great Ones. I think the former is more likely.
The moon presence doesn't have a name though!

Plus, where does the cord of the Eye you get come from then?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

"O flora, of the moon, of the dream. O little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients... Let the hunter be safe, let him find comfort. And let this dream, his captor... foretell a pleasant awakening... be, one day, a fond, distant memory..."

did anyone try using it at the Altar of Despair?! Before reviving the queen and all that

test_account

XP-39C²
I noticed that there is a dog outside of the Lonely Old Woman's house when you first get there. If you kill that, it wont appear again, so it doesnt seem to be a normal enemy. I wonder if that was the old woman's dog before it turned into a beast.

I dont think that you can buy Blood (4) before getting the Yharnam Stone.

Neoweee

I noticed that there is a dog outside of the Lonely Old Woman's house when you first get there. If you kill that, it wont appear again, so it doesnt seem to be a normal enemy. I wonder if that was the old woman's dog before it turned into a beast.

I dont think that you can buy Blood (4) before getting the Yharnam Stone.

Funny that I can't progress to even get the stone until I get more Blood (4).

=(

Fuck Chalice progression.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Vaati did his first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRv4a8K8hYQ

It's pretty good about laying stuff out in a chronological fashion. Not sure about Cleric Beast=Ludwig though, I haven't seen any direct evidence of that. I think they'd have given his name if that were the case.

LiK

Vaati did his first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRv4a8K8hYQ

It's pretty good about laying stuff out in a chronological fashion. Not sure about Cleric Beast=Ludwig though, I haven't seen any direct evidence of that. I think they'd have given his name if that were the case.

huh, i'd expected him to make a video after the official guide is out. cuz i'm sure the guide will clarify a lot of theories that are floating around right now.

LiK

I didn't notice it at first but when you go near the area where the little girl is before even finding the window near the plaza, you can hear the music box playing. such a nice little detail.

Moon Presence = Big M. directing the dream. I suppose I'm joking.

the baby is his. he can't truly conceive and birth it without us - the hunters - yeah.

So like, the only real decent folks in the game are like... let me hold up my fingers here and count: Viola, Arianna I guess, and uh.... actually, the Oedon Chapel keeper, and that's it, huh?

Even though the Oedon Chapel keeper is undoubtedly friendly in the game I wounder if there is more of a sinister history to him/her. When/if people start dying in the chapel he seems to be apologizing a lot for a past mistake. At first it sounds like he/she is just taking responsibility for what had just happened but on later ones it sounds like more. Got to find a way to get everyone there and then a way for everyone to die except him/her to check out more of it I guess.

The ragged beast reaching for you is clearly your "bestial" half attempting to overtake you and drive you mad, but it burns to death on contact. There are a couple reasons why this might have happened. Either you repelled it with your own willpower (unlikely, if people like Gascoigne and Amelia succumbed so easily), or the Messengers repelled it for you. I hypothesize that the Messengers are representatives of the Great One, be it the Moon Presence or the Great One possibly gestating inside you.

I think it's pretty obvious what happened to Yarnham in general. Byrgenwerth discovered a "holy medium" in the labyrinth below Yarnham (presumably the chalice dungeons?). Whatever this medium was (I don't think it's ever revealed?), it allowed Laurence to make contact with the Moon Presence. So whatever art was passed on to humanity via the medium, it evolved to miraculous blood healing, being an obvious benefit to everyone. I don't think anyone really knows what's going on at first, but as blood ministration becomes more ubiquitous I believe the Great Ones begin communicating with Byrgenwerth scholars and high-ranking members of the Healing Church telepathically through their dreams.

The two things I can comment on about your statement. Good catch with noticing it was probably the messengers that "take/save" you. Just as when you hear the Doll say "So you have found a hunter" right after it she is probably talking to the messengers. What that means is still beyond me though.

The "Holy Medium" however has some other text relating to it. Alfred mentions that the "holy medium" is venerated in the grand cathedral in one of his topics you can ask him about. I also believe he refers to it as that, "the holy medium" not "a" or some other terminology. The main thing that has a place of worship or reverence in the grand cathedral is the weird beast skull that is on the alter, that some people think is Laurence's. That same skull can be seen in the opening cut scene of the game, if you leave your game running at the start screen for long enough, and it appears to be in some sort of "chalice dungeon" looking area when it is shown, and is being found by some hunter who looks like he is about to be killed.

Things we know about the healing church: It was founded after a Byrgenwerth scholar found "something" in the labyrinth under Yharnam, which is suppose to be the various chalice dungeons. I still don't know what this all means though since it doesn't explain why we see a flashback to Laurence and Willem when touching the skull, other then how the pendent's description tells us to do so to see the cautionary adage that the pendent is suppose to represent to Vicar's of the healing church. If that skull is Laurence's skull then it wouldn't be the "holy medium" that was found and lead to blood healing since Laurence was alive in a world with blood healing. If it isn't Laurence's skull then what is the deal with the flashback? Just don't know.

Auctopus

huh, i'd expected him to make a video after the official guide is out. cuz i'm sure the guide will clarify a lot of theories that are floating around right now.

Since when does Vaati care about fact? He romanticises his lore and is a bit in love with the sound of his own voice. He made up so much random character storylines in DS1 and especially DS2.

ExVicis

Things we know about the healing church: It was founded after a Byrgenwerth scholar found "something" in the labyrinth under Yharnam, which is suppose to be the various chalice dungeons.

Like I had said in an earlier post it's pretty well hinted that Ebrietas, Daughter of Chaos, is the "something that was found. Items like the Augur of Ebrietas mention that Ebrietas was found before the formation of the Choir even. As well another item mentions that Ebrietas was abandoned on our world. So it's probably her they found.

I'm pretty sure it matches the boss theme for Mergo's Wet Nurse, not sure beyond that.

I wanted to try it with a few more things after hearing the music box sounding theme during the ending credits as well. Seems like it has some more use in the game.

If you play the music box in that fight it apparently causes the boss to act strangely. I tried it myself when I fought it, didn't notice any difference but you can see the subtle effect here:

https://youtu.be/OCP_SoYcLTc

Like this. Great find.

JNT

I don't like the whole thing being a dream theory because it undermines the whole adventure really

Not at all. The "you are dreaming" theory is more like a meta-story, where the events inside the dream constitute an "inner story" that can have meaning and gravity in its own right independent from the meta-story. In fact, I believe the dream theory has much more potential for interpretation and symbolism than a more straight-forward interpretation of the story would allow.

Like I had said in an earlier post it's pretty well hinted that Ebrietas, Daughter of Chaos, is the "something that was found. Items like the Augur of Ebrietas mention that Ebrietas was found before the formation of the Choir even. As well another item mentions that Ebrietas was abandoned on our world. So it's probably her they found.

Well, she is also a boss in one of the lowest areas of the chalice dungeons as well, isn't she? Interesting.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Since when does Vaati care about fact? He romanticises his lore and is a bit in love with the sound of his own voice. He made up so much random character storylines in DS1 and especially DS2.

If you stick to "the facts" every lore video would be "it could be this, or it could be that, it's open to interpretation." In order to interpret the game, which is intentionally vague, you need to, y'know... interpret it. It's fine to not like his stuff, don't get me wrong. But interpretation is kind of mandatory with any lore relating to these games.

Gbraga

Give him some credit, at least he's showing the item descriptions he's using to form his theories this time, even if I disagree with them.

And his videos are indeed really really good, even if romanticized. It's his thing, people like it.

It just feels wrong to give someone crap for filling the blanks with their imagination in a narrative style that was created because Miyazaki used to fill the blanks with his imagination.

If anything, people who take everything he says as fact are more to blame than himself for just posting his theories in video form.

ExVicis

Well, she is also a boss in one of the lowest areas of the chalice dungeons as well, isn't she? Interesting.

Yep, it also makes sense since Albert mentions that the people to visit about Blood Healing are in the Upper Cathedral Ward. Assuming the medium is near to them it's probably a reference to Ebrietas since she's the final boss of that area.

Sorry if this has been answered already but what is the connection between the cane/lantern wielding guys in Cathedral Ward ( and one other later area I think) and the students in the lecture building? They both share the same hollow face and I assume that is very much on purpose.
I'm not entirely sure. Someone earlier suggested maybe it's a connection to Pthumerians but I'm not sure about that.

They obviously have some connection though since we find that one Giant guy at the Lecture Hall on floor 2

Obscura

Sorry if this has been answered already but what is the connection between the cane/lantern wielding guys in Cathedral Ward ( and one other later area I think) and the students in the lecture building? They both share the same hollow face and I assume that is very much on purpose.

Gbraga

About the Ludwig = Cleric Beast thing. Hmm, I'm not entirely convinced.

Noticing the beast comes down from the Cathedral Ward was very cool, as well as making the natural conclusion that Ludwig was the hunter chief, but the timeline wouldn't fit, right?

Many things in the game implies it's been generations since the hunts first started, and Ludwig was the first Healing Church hunter, according to his Holy Blade.

There are many things that hint at this happening for generations, like, for example, the Byrgenwerth keepers indicated by Willem, that are both dead and bones now, Micolash (assuming we interact with Micolash to enter the Nightmare of Mensis) being nothing more than a mummy, Laurence (assuming he's the skull) being long gone, Gehrman's apprentice being just an old bone, and, I guess more importantly, Henryk and Gascoigne's partnership, which is already a thing of the past, being cited as the cause for Henryk's tragically long life. I don't think Gascoigne was a really high ranked member of the Healing Church, and if he hunted for many years before dropping off and raising his family, it's hard to believe Ludwig would still be alive. The Cleric Beast is most definitely the Hunter Chief, but after Ludwig's passing, a new Hunter Chief would be chosen, it's logical.

If only the Cleric Beast's drop also got you the Ludwig's Holy Blade... But as it is, I feel like Ludwig is more likely to be the Old Hunter Bone than the Cleric Beast. He is the first healing church hunter, but we know for a fact that Gehrman is actually the first hunter, so, in other words, came before the healing church hunters. He knows Laurence, if we're assuming Laurence founded the Healing Church, it would make sense that he would train Ludwig, who then became the first Healing Church hunter.

But the most likely explanation is a Ludwig of the First Hunt DLC :p

Auctopus

ROFL, brutal!

If you stick to "the facts" every lore video would be "it could be this, or it could be that, it's open to interpretation." In order to interpret the game, which is intentionally vague, you need to, y'know... interpret it. It's fine to not like his stuff, don't get me wrong. But interpretation is kind of mandatory with any lore relating to these games.

Give him some credit, at least he's showing the item descriptions he's using to form his theories this time, even if I disagree with them.

And his videos are indeed really really good, even if romanticized. It's his thing, people like it.

It just feels wrong to give someone crap for filling the blanks with their imagination in a narrative style that was created because Miyazaki used to fill the blanks with his imagination.

If anything, people who take everything he says as fact are more to blame than himself for just posting his theories in video form.

I just think he's spread the idea that the Souls games lore/story are choose-your-own-adventure when there's actually a right answer. I know Miyazaki's inspiration was the stories he read when he was younger where he wasn't given the full picture but the Souls games have a clear story/lore (despite one being weaker and plot-holey than the other) and I just think Vaati doesn't respect that when he talks about 'lore'.

Fisty

So the holy medium... is that Queen Yharnam? Seems like she was carrying a Great One baby... she could be the 'medium' since she was from the race of superhuman Pthumerans.

Also, what was The One Reborn? Some conglomerate of people given Great One blood?

LiK

So the holy medium... is that Queen Yharnam? Seems like she was carrying a Great One baby... she could be the 'medium' since she was from the race of superhuman Pthumerans.

Also, what was The One Reborn? Some conglomerate of people given Great One blood?

A Gaffer theorized that the The One Reborn was a failed attempt at creating a Great One which I found interesting. kinda explains why it's so fucked up.

Top Bottom