• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Adaren

Yeah, the whole spy thing also made me think that Iosefka's Vial in the Nightmare was a hint that she was from Mensis, but I still don't see how that would be relevant, what difference that makes to anything, you know? Iosefka was just helping dudes, from what I understand, it's fake Iosefka that's actually relevant to the lore, but that vial in the Nightmare definitely makes me think Iosefka is supposed to be very important as well. We need more info on her :C

The Hunter's Dream is based on a "real-world" place (Abandoned Workshop) and pulls in a lot of elements from it. Could the same be true for the Nightmare of Mensis? Could Iosefka's Vial have been "pulled in" from the clinic?

Pregnancy...clinic...doctor...wet nurse...baby...

This doesn't really make sense, but it's kind of a funny connection.

Gbraga

In other languages, amygdala are also called "tonsils", and are the things in the sides of your inner mouth.

Which makes me think the whole interpretation as the "part of the brain that causes fear" is wrong.

In brazilian portuguese, Amígdala means Tonsil.

I was thinking... the real iosefka isn't as kind and gentle everyone think she is if she is from the choir. She refuses to open the door because of her patients but we never saw any of the patients in there except for that celestial on the table. And we did see all the dead bodies being dumped through the hole while we ascend the ladder from the forbidden woods and just so happens we see celestials in the woods which is connected to the clinic.

Well, we start our journey in her clinic, unharmed. And the Blood Minister was the one who gave us the contract, so it seems like people could indeed enter there freely when it's not the night of the hunt.

But you're correct that, if she's indeed from the choir, she's ok with shit like experimenting on orphans, and also ok with the preemptive hunters that kill people before signs of sickness even manifest themselves, so she can't really be that nice.

I don't really have anything new to add but I just wanted to say I am absolutely in love with the lore of this game. It has captured me in a way few if any games ever have. I just read that 90 page lore document and it was a great read.

Miyazaki is a man among boys when it comes to world design.

ElFly

Amygdala just means tonsil in Greek (and almond). It's still a real part of the brain that was named that due to how it looked. The part of the brain called the amygdala does in fact control fear, amongst other things.

But to be transported to the nightmares by the amygdala, you need the Tonsil stone, which suggests its real reference is the tonsil, and not the brain part.

Gbraga

I don't really have anything new to add but I just wanted to say I am absolutely in love with the lore of this game. It has captured me in a way few if any games ever have. I just read that 90 page lore document and it was a great read.

Miyazaki is a man among boys when it comes to world design.

Miyazaki is an old Great One among men when it comes to game design.

Edzi

So why does it seem like so many people don't consider Ebrietas a 'real' Great One? Her title is "Daughter of the Cosmos", so doesn't this imply she's from space?

So why does it seem like so many people don't consider Ebrietas a real Great One? Her name is "Daughter of the Cosmos", doesn't this imply she's from space?

Honestly, I'm not sure why people started thinking this. She is most definitely a Great One. Like...no bones about it. Even if she used to be human, Rom became a Great One so it's not like we know it's impossible; we know it is, in fact, very possible.

Tonsil Stone image search shows some disgusting calcification growths on tonsils. The item description said that it "appeared useless" which does sound more like mouth tonsils that people used to routinely remove rather than brain "tonsils" that mitigate fear. I'll go with both and still throw in a meteorite.

also, Daughter of Koz, Kozm, some say Cosmos?

Gbraga

I really don't think Ebrietas used to be human, I feel like she's as much of a legit Great One as one could be.

Left behind, but still legit.

ElFly

So why does it seem like so many people don't consider Ebrietas a 'real' Great One? Her title is "Daughter of the Cosmos", so doesn't this imply she's from space?

The name is just an exaggeration; just before Ebrietas, you have to fight the Celestial Emissary, but turns out he is just a mutated human, not an alien ambassador from space.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't think Ebrietas used to be human, I feel like she's as much of a legit Great One as one could be.

Wait, I thought Ebrietas was a captured "Kin" or alien?

Edzi

The name is just an exaggeration; just before Ebrietas, you have to fight the Celestial Emissary, but turns out he is just a mutated human, not an alien ambassador from space.

Right, Celestial Emissary. I took that to mean that it was what the Choir used to communicate with the Great Ones up in space.

Agreed, I'm not sure where the ideas of her being anything less than that are coming from.

Gbraga

Wait, I thought Ebrietas was a captured "Kin" or alien?

The sky and cosmos are one. She's an alien, but that's pretty much what Great Ones are.

Ebrietas was left behind? Where did we get that info? o_O

Augur of Ebrietas:

"Use phantasms, the invertebrates known to be the augurs of the Great Ones, to partially summon abandoned Ebrietas."

I guess I should be saying "abandoned", it's just that the several mentions of "clear signs of the left behind Great Ones" made me use them interchangeably.

I never thought the Celestial Emissary was from space, on the contrary, to space. Our emissary to communicate with them, basically. It even drops Communion.

Edzi

I like to think he is the guy they use to talk to Ebrietas.

Sure, that works too. Ebrietas is a true great one, and the Emissary was what the Choir used/created to communicate with Her/Them.

Their proximity to each other could also support this.

On the subject of the importance of names, the interview in the guide devotes an entire paragraph to Miyazaki answering about the naming process and that he is a "naming nerd" who ultimately chooses every name in all of his games also pointing out that he takes into consideration word origins, the sound in expressions, and regional considerations. Meaning that hunting for lore clues in names is likely a valid pursuit.

Gbraga

Sure, that works too. Either way, it works with what I'm saying. Ebrietas is a true great one, and the Emissary was what the Choir used/created to communicate with Her/Them.

Yep, also fits the timeline of "shit, Willem was right, using blood is no good, let's try different things."

And then the Choir and Mensis basically go back to Byrgenwerth, but using different methods to approach their ideas.

On the subject of the importance of names, the interview in the guide devotes an entire paragraph to Miyazaki answering about the naming process and that he is a "naming nerd" who ultimately chooses every name in all of his games also pointing out that he takes into consideration word origins, the sound in expressions, and regional considerations. Meaning that hunting for lore clues in names is likely a valid pursuit.

I wonder if there are any clues in the song lyrics. We do have dungeon music now, they could hold some significance.

I don't understand what happens in the third ending. I beat Moon presence, Nightmare slain, then boom cutscene with a slug. Did I become the slug? Why did I need to defeat MP to become a slug? Why do I become a slug at that moment and not when I consume the cords or from some sort of ritual?

Edzi

I don't understand what happens in the third ending. I beat Moon presence, Nightmare slain, then boom cutscene with a slug. Did I become the slug? Why did I need to defeat MP to become a slug? Why do I become a slug at that moment and not when I consume the cords or from some sort of ritual?

Read the trophy description, you totally became an infant Great One. As for the "why", I think that's the biggest question mark left. The Moon Presence's motivations are the most baffling thing left to figure out.

Gbraga

Yes, you became a true great one. No idea. Beckoning the moon presence is the ritual.

From the Lecture Hall:
"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

"Three third cords."

From Iosefka's Clinic:
"Seek Paleblood to transcend the hunt."

Of course, that's just my interpretation, and many people will disagree with me in this thread.

I wonder if there are any clues in the song lyrics. We do have dungeon music now, they could hold some significance.

I'd certainly be interested. He didn't mention the lyrics specifically but he did say that the one exception to his naming prowess was the actual game titles and that he was terrible at that.

Gbraga

I'd certainly be interested. He didn't mention the lyrics specifically but he did say that the one exception to his naming prowess was the actual game titles and that he was terrible at that.

Whaaat. Demon's Souls may be questionable, but Dark Souls and Bloodborne are great game titles, imo.

ElFly

I assume Ebrietas is the equivalent of Rom in old Pthumeru; Rom's corpse in her arena may be a discarded carapace after evolving further.

As for the "daughter of the cosmos" moniker, it may mean one of two things

-that, like Rom, it was ascended by the Kos, some say Kosm, but unlike Micolash, the choir already knew that Kos meant Cosmos -Micolash only realizes it during your fight-. Rom herself is not named "Rom, daughter of the Cosmos" because she was named by Willem.

-they are taking some blood or other substance from Ebrietas, which is transforming people into Celestials, unlike the regular blood ministration that creates beasts. For whatever reason they think the Celestials have something to do with space, and they go with her moniker.

I mostly favor the first interpretation, Ebrietas -also a female- is Pthumerian Rom.

Sure, that works too. Ebrietas is a true great one, and the Emissary was what the Choir used/created to communicate with Her/Them.

Their proximity to each other could also support this.

Bingo bango, got it in one.

I assume Ebrietas is the equivalent of Rom in old Pthumeru; Rom's corpse in her arena may be a discarded carapace after evolving further.

Yo hold on, this may be the only interpretation of the spider on the altar that I can kinda get with. Since the spider is OBVIOUSLY NOT ROM (don't know why people still believe this) it being a discarded carapace might make sense if she is, in fact, an ascended human.

That is of course assuming you believe she was an ascended human. Which I still do not, since there's not enough to really back that up for me.

Gbraga

Yo hold on, this may be the only interpretation of the spider on the altar that I can kinda get with. Since the spider is OBVIOUSLY NOT ROM (don't know why people still believe this) it being a discarded carapace might make sense if she is, in fact, an ascended human.

That is of course assuming you believe she was an ascended human. Which I still do not, since there's not enough to really back that up for me.

I think the one thing that makes that fucking carapace so intriguing is the Altar of Despair effect on the Queenly Flesh. If you couldn't interact with that, no one would give two fucks about it.

hofisfnlknjdklnjdklgdj

Miya-chan, pls, give ENB a couple more interviews.

Ferr986

I always said the slug transformation is weird as fuck. You get transformed into it out of nowhere, even though you look fine after defeating the MP. And you're not even in the same place when you're a slug.

They probably didn't think about it much when making that particular scene.

As for the "daughter of the cosmos" moniker, it may mean one of two things

-that, like Rom, it was ascended by the Kos, some say Kosm, but unlike Micolash, the choir already knew that Kos meant Cosmos -Micolash only realizes it during your fight-. Rom herself is not named "Rom, daughter of the Cosmos" because she was named by Willem.

-they are taking some blood or other substance from Ebrietas, which is transforming people into Celestials, unlike the regular blood ministration that creates beasts. For whatever reason they think the Celestials have something to do with space, and they go with her moniker.

I mostly favor the first interpretation, Ebrietas -also a female- is Pthumerian Rom.

hmm. I'm not convinced the Chalice dungeons are canon. Kinda weird having multiple Roms, Ebrietas, etc...
Im ok with the carapace on the Altar, but I don't seecarapaces being sentient beings like the one in Phtumeru.

ElFly

Well we don't really know, but it seems all the Great Ones are descended from humans or humans ascended into Great Ones.

Ebrietas was probably found in the dungeons -if that was what "granted audience with Ebrietas" means-, but it is unknown if she had her current form at that point, of if she was Rom-like. I assume the later, and that her traffic with the choir made her evolve for some reason. The other explanation is that Ebrietas wouldn't move without her old corpse because ??? and the choir just dragged it along.

The whole "granted audience" is repeated with Mergo and the Mensis school, so I am not sure it is an actual physical meeting.

I have no theory for the altair of despair use in resurrecting the queen.

I think the one thing that makes that fucking carapace so intriguing is the Altar of Despair effect on the Queenly Flesh. If you couldn't interact with that, no one would give two fucks about that.

Yeah. That whole revival thing REALLY makes everything surrounding the altar super mysterious and confusing which is why we're all probably over-examining it so much.

Gbraga

I always said the slug transformation is weird as fuck. You get transformed into it out of nowhere, even though you look fine after defeating the MP. And you're not even in the same place when you're a slug.

They probably didn't think about it much when making that particular scene.

Yeah, I also think it's more likely an oversight than some hidden meaning.

ElFly

hmm. I'm not convinced the Chalice dungeons are canon. Kinda weird having multiple Roms, Ebrietas, etc...
Im ok with the carapace on the Altar, but I don't seecarapaces being sentient beings like the one in Phtumeru.

They are canon in the sense that they are mentioned in the story, but yeah, some of the duplicated bosses -Rom, Ebrietas, Blood starved Beast- are questionable. It is possible that duplicated Rom and Ebrietas are just old pthumerians that got ascended, and your hunter interprets them as the same bosses he already fought.

Considering that Yharnam herself is there, they are necessary to the plot.

Adaren

Agreed, I'm not sure where the ideas of her being anything less than that are coming from.

Like many other things in Bloodborne, you can interpret the evidence in a multitude of ways. There's no hard answer.

Let's go off of the assumption that the Moon Presence and Mergo's Wet Nurse are "True" Great ones.* What does that mean? I'm not really sure, but the common interpretation is that they are "natural" Great Ones who were never human. Let's look at some of the things that have in common:

- "Nightmare Slain" when they die
- Each associated with a dream world
- Each closely associated with an umbilical cord third**
- The player is not given their true names. Keep in mind that the boss names in Bloodborne seem to be "word of God" (e.g. the player never hears "Vicar Amelia", but they know her name. Same goes for the Shadows of Yharnam, etc.). Even the descriptions of the nameless-bosses seem to be "word of God" (e.g. I, for one, wouldn't have labeled the creepy invisible reaper as a "Wet Nurse"), so it's REALLY unusual that they aren't given names.***
- Neither is a Chalice dungeon boss: their battles are unique.

None of these things are true for Ebrietas. So the question becomes: why is she different? Why was she "left behind"? Who was she left behind by? Why is she ALSO present as a Chalice dungeon boss? The same question goes for Rom.

Ebrietas means "drunkenness" in Latin. The only other reference to alcohol is in the Pungent Blood Cocktail, which describes blood as "intoxicating". Ebrietas also vomits blood as one of her primary attacks. Ebrietas is closely associated with the labyrinth. Could Ebrietas have once consumed a great deal of blood, much like the Pthumerians? Could that have been related to a possible evolution from a Pthumerian to a Great One? It seems possible.

* Oedon is a bit of an odd duck here, as usual. He/she is closely associated with an umbilical cord fragment, and it isn't clear whether Oedon is the creature's true name or a name given by the Church to the mysterious incorporeal force that lies within the blood. And, of course, Oedon doesn't get explicitly associated with a dream world or deliver the player a death message. Nonetheless, the "formless" nature (not just invisible, but without ANY physical embodiment. Oedon is a concept with a motivation. Isn't that creepy?) seems to be about as far as you can get from the more "grounded" Great Ones.

** Rom also fits all of these bullet points except for this one. She is one degree away from Master Willem, who has his own umbilical cord. This cord has references to Master Willem's dreams of evolution but none to Rom herself, unlike the cords of the other Great Ones. I'd be inclined to say that Willem's cord is of a different sort of origin than the other three cords.

*** Aside: Miyazaki said in the guide interview that he puts a great deal of care into each name he puts into the game. Take that as you will.

Ferr986

They are canon in the sense that they are mentioned in the story, but yeah, some of the duplicated bosses -Rom, Ebrietas, Bloodletting Beast- are questionable. It is possible that duplicated Rom and Ebrietas are just old pthumerians that got ascended, and your players interprets them as the same bosses he already fought.

Considering that Yharnam herself is there, they are necessary to the plot.

Oh yeah, of course, part of it it's canon, like the existence of the dungeons themselves, the Phtumerians and Yharnam.
I meant more the trek about going down there (or the gameplay/videogamey aspect), finding Rom/Ebrietas clones as such.

Maybe they'll make Ihyll canon, if they require the Yharnam stone on a future DLC...

Ristlager

Sorry for asking in this topic, but I am very short in blood vials, and need help with the one reborn. Can anyone here help me with him? I have ringed the bell for 20 min now, but no one is answering :(
I am level 68 btw...

Ferr986

Sorry for asking in this topic, but I am very short in blood vials, and need help with the one reborn. Can anyone here help me with him? I have ringed the bell for 20 min now, but no one is answering :(
I am level 68 btw...

sure, put a pass and I'll help you now.

Gbraga

Oh yeah, of course, part of it it's canon, like the existence of the dungeons themselves, the Phtumerians and Yharnam.
I meant more the trek about going down there (or the gameplay/videogamey aspect), finding Rom/Ebrietas clones as such.

Maybe they'll make Ihyll canon, if they require the Yharnam stone on a future DLC...

Even though it would be cool to see the Yharnam Stone having actual in-game significance, I'd really be against that choice.

Truth is, Chalice Dungeons are boring as shit. I don't wanna have to go all the way through the mandatory dungeons to beat Yharnam with every single character I want to play the DLC with, that would be such a major pain in the ass that I would never play the DLC more than once, to be quite honest.

Would also mess up the All Bosses Speedruns, and word on the street is that From really like the speedrunning community of their games, no one wins from this decision, it would be so stupid.

Adaren

I posted this a few pages back, but I think the altar-Rom may have been Ebrietas' Pthumerian "friend" who also ascended with her. Altar-Rom died from some circumstance or another, and Ebrietas tries (unsuccessfully) to revive him using the Altar. Why doesn't the Altar work? Dunno; maybe it only works on humans. Where is the Altar from? No idea.

Unlike most of the Great Ones, Ebrietas shows clear emotion: she's crying (see Rosmarinus) at the Altar of Despair. Could Altar-Rom's death be why she's referred to as "left behind", abandoned by her people and her friend?

I like your idea too, but I just figured I'd throw mine out there since I think we're mostly on the same page with regards to Ebrietas' background.

Ferr986

Thanks. How do I turn off the current bell?

just put a password code (like gafgaf) and It will search for me. Im already there ringing btw

Even though it would be cool to see the Yharnam Stone having actual in-game significance, I'd really be against that choice.

Truth is, Chalice Dungeons are boring as shit. I don't wanna have to go all the way through the mandatory dungeons to beat Yharnam with every single character I want to play the DLC with, that would be such a major pain in the ass that I would never play the DLC more than once, to be quite honest.

Would also mess up the All Bosses Speedruns, and word on the street is that From really like the speedrunning community of their games, no one wins from this decision, it would be so stupid.

Yep, didn't think about it, but I agree with you.

I loved Chalices with my first character, but I endend up hating them when I had to redo all of that with my alt.

chalice dungeons would be super fun if it was easy to grab a coop partner and run through them without losing them at the end of every floor

I think Chalices would be fun if they skipped the useless tiers (1-3), grinding materials (later tiers of materials can't be purchased), and not make Defiled obligatory for progression (I know there will be people that will disagree with this one).

Gbraga

I posted this a few pages back, but I think the altar-Rom may have been Ebrietas' Pthumerian "friend" who also ascended with her. Altar-Rom died from some circumstance or another, and Ebrietas tries (unsuccessfully) to revive him using the Altar. Why doesn't the Altar work? Dunno; maybe it only works on humans. Where is the Altar from? No idea.

Unlike most of the Great Ones, Ebrietas shows clear emotion: she's crying (see Rosmarinus) at the Altar of Despair. Could Altar-Rom's death be why she's referred to as "left behind", abandoned by her people and her friend?

I like your idea too, but I just figured I'd throw mine out there since I think we're mostly on the same page with regards to Ebrietas' background.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the reviving part. The Queenly Flesh is alive, the Altair of Despair reverses time so that her body is restored, but it never really revived her. Annalise, the Tsundere Queen was already immortal.

EDIT: Which raises the question, anyone know why she's immortal? I have no idea. I assume it has to do with her being related in some way to Yharnam, and her corrupted blood. But then why is Yharnam also "immortal" in the same way as Annalise? Judging by the Yharnam Stone description.

chalice dungeons would be super fun if it was easy to grab a coop partner and run through them without losing them at the end of every floor

Or if you could just buy every material for the chalices you own, so you can rush to the lever and to the boss without worrying about not having the materials for the next one if you don't explore their shitty level design.

Ristlager

just put a password code (like gafgaf) and It will search for me. Im already there ringing btw

Yep, didn't think about it, but I agree with you.

I loved Chalices with my first character, but I endend up hating them when I had to redo all of that with my alt.

I think Chalices would be fun if they skipped the useless tiers (1-3), grinding materials (later tiers of materials can't be purchased), and not make Defiled obligatory for progression (I know there will be people that will disagree with this one).

Added password now. neogaf

Easy_D

never left the stone age
But to be transported to the nightmares by the amygdala, you need the Tonsil stone, which suggests its real reference is the tonsil, and not the brain part.
So you're pretty much swallowed by the nightmare. Hehe

Adaren

Hmm, I'm not sure about the reviving part. The Queenly Flesh is alive, the Altair of Despair reverses time so that her body is restored, but it never really revived her. Annalise, the Tsundere Queen was already immortal.

Good point! Perhaps that's why the altar doesn't work? Ebrietas made the same mistake I did: the altar can reverse time for the living, but doesn't work on the dead.

*cry*

EDIT: Which raises the question, anyone know why she's immortal? I have no idea. I assume it has to do with her being related in some way to Yharnam, and her corrupted blood. But then why is Yharnam also "immortal" in the same way as Annalise? Judging by the Yharnam Stone description.

Not sure on the first part, but if Ebrietas originated in Pthumeru, then the altar likely did too. Could Yharnam have used the altar to revive and continue her rule? That would have let Ebrietas see how the Altar worked, though she may not have understood that it only worked for certain people.

ElFly

That's a good theory too, because it explains why Ebrietas is looking at the altar, with the head lowered, and makes the altar able to revive other things, but not the Rom-like creature. Also the name "Altar of Despair"; it is Ebrietas who is despairing.

On the other hand, Rosmarinus' description may refer to Yharnam, the Queen, who is seen crying through the game.

Either way, only include the use of the altar, but not its origin. I assume that the Queen's immortality is independent of the Altar; the altar only makes her resurrect during the night of the hunt. Without it, Annalise would have come back after some time.

Ferr986

Isnt the stone description related to the possible embrion that is inside the stone?

You're welcome!

Top Bottom