• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Is anybody else disappointed with the stats on all the new armor sets? They all look cool, but none of them give better stats and anything else. The only piece that dethrones a previous piece is the Constable Gloves.

I min-max my Fashionborne, so I'm not one to wear something if the stats aren't good. A lot of combinations give almost equal stats, but none of the new pieces seem to shake that up at all.

A lot of them seem to give huge defenses to fire and blood at the expense of other stats.

Derpot

Is anybody else disappointed with the stats on all the new armor sets? They all look cool, but none of them give better stats and anything else. The only piece that dethrones a previous piece is the Constable Gloves.

I min-max my Fashionborne, so I'm not one to wear something if the stats aren't good. A lot of combinations give almost equal stats, but none of the new pieces seem to shake that up at all.

I think the Harrowed Set has very good stats, except against Frenzy ?

Grimløck;186991808 said:
i was doing chalice dungeons with it to farm gems and i killed things much faster with my chikage. the bow is good for chip damage from afar, though

I see it more as a secondary weapon to the chikage, than actually a replacement. Can't wait to get it.

Does anyone has a list of all weapons?. I thought I got them all, but seems I missed something...

Finalow

Really? I dunno. When you see the stats and scaling, it kinda looks op, no ?

I tried the Saif a little more and I'm starting to love it, actually !
the bow can be useful for pve (and pve only) but the blade is quite terrible, if you have a skill build you should just stick to other weapons.

myco666

I'm too salty to be crazy D:
Old Hunters bosses sure are really difficult, nothing to do with the main game.

Really? I dunno. When you see the stats and scaling, it kinda looks op, no ?

I tried the Saif a little more and I'm starting to love it, actually !

I really don't like the blade moveset and arrows don't do enough damage. Much rather have Evelyn or RP + melee options at the same time rather than having to pick either or. Need to test it out more but first round through Central Yharnam left me disappointed.

That works great until the second form, then being far away is bad, at least it was for me. Had to get in close and just spam attack a lot.

Worked fine for me, did the whole fight with two characters just by baiting attacks and parry with gun or Augur. If I have a fight saved I'll post it.

krakov

First dlc boss is probably my favorite soulsborne boss already, that second form cutscene and music is beyond amazing. Really wish I went in completely blind but I knew about the boss/sword already.

Simons bowblade is the biggest disappointing piece of garbage, i was so hyped for bow only run, but it doesnt feel satisfying to use at all

Agreed on the bow part, the blade's not bad but, considering I went skill for this playthrough with the sole intention of using it, I was disappointed.

Then I discovered the Rakuyo...

laxu

I'm really starting to feel that NG+ is shit in so many ways. I'm now something like level 160 with a +10 Ludwig and I still have serious trouble with all bosses and even normal enemies seem to take as much hits to kill than in NG with something like a +5 weapon.

Maybe I'm just really crap at this game.

storafötter;186992615 said:
My mistake, I know the place well but I had to die at that gatling gun dude :p. Pretty stupid. I am on the 4th floor so not sure if I am able to join you again.

Yeah, I'm wondering that myself. Just ringed it again, don't know if it works.

Ferr986

Something I noticed in the last arena, lore spoilers maybe

if you hit Kos's corpse, she has red blood and not white. Should her blood be white, as a Great One?

Also, sucks that the weird sun
dissapears after finishing the DLC, it looked really cool.

I'm really starting to feel that NG+ is shit in so many ways. I'm now something like level 160 with a +10 Ludwig and I still have serious trouble with all bosses and even normal enemies seem to take as much hits to kill than in NG with something like a +5 weapon.

Maybe I'm just really crap at this game.

NG+ is supposed to be harder than NG. I'm confused what the problem is?

if you hit Kos's corpse, she has red blood and not white. Should her blood be white, as a Great One?

Since she had a kid, instead of having to look for a surrogate mother like any other great ones, is possible that she was an ascended human, just like you in that ascending ending

Derpot

the bow can be useful for pve (and pve only) but the blade is quite terrible, if you have a skill build you should just stick to other weapons.

I really don't like the blade moveset and arrows don't do enough damage. Much rather have Evelyn or RP + melee options at the same time rather than having to pick either or. Need to test it out more but first round through Central Yharnam left me disappointed.

Simons bowblade is the biggest disappointing piece of garbage, i was so hyped for bow only run, but it doesnt feel satisfying to use at all

Aaaw D:
I didn't try it in PvP, but maybe it could be useful for a surprise attack lol

RiggyRob

Would be a suicide go to that zone and not beat Vicar before

It's doable - she's already managed to kill the hunter with the Strength version of the Threaded Cane, and it'd be fine if they didn't
respawn
, but yeah, she's tackling more of the story first.

The Witch of Hemwick video is a bit behind, she's already managed to kill Vicar Amelia and Darkbeast Paarl, but I promised myself I'd upload a video a day instead of spamming all of them on this thread and the OT++++ in one go.

Contrary to popular belief, is no significance to blood color in Bloodborne.

laxu

NG+ is supposed to be harder than NG. I'm confused what the problem is?

I feel it's badly balanced. Any weapon that is not a +10 or +9 seems pretty useless and I've hit the STR stat cap and skill is about 43 while still not doing anywhere near as much damage as you did on enemies at much lower level character and weapons in NG.

It's doable - she's already managed to kill the hunter with the Strength version of the Threaded Cane, and it'd be fine if they didn't
respawn
, but yeah, she's tackling more of the story first.

The Witch of Hemwick video is a bit behind, she's already managed to kill Vicar Amelia and Darkbeast Paarl, but I promised myself I'd upload a video a day instead of spamming all of them on this thread and the OT++++ in one go.
I had to pepper a heavy amount of chalice dungeons across my NG character just to get past the first god damn boss of the DLC. I don't want to beat the game almost but she's going to tackle that dlc later. I had to be level 93 to beat the first dlc boss.

I feel it's badly balanced. Any weapon that is not a +10 or +9 seems pretty useless and I've hit the STR stat cap and skill is about 43 while still not doing anywhere near as much damage as you did on enemies at much lower level character and weapons in NG.

Is your weapon broken?

I'm on NG++ and I one or two hit every common enemy with a +10 Holy Blade.

2H mode does 750 damage with R1. What are you hitting?

And yes, of course weapons that aren't +8 are going to be useless. It's NG+. The game assumes you are using a +8 weapon at least. Why wouldn't you be?

myco666

Aaaw D:
I didn't try it in PvP, but maybe it could be useful for a surprise attack lol

Tried it again just now and the blade moveset was actually pretty good and fun to use. I just don't like the Bow part. Damage seems to be around the same as Evelyn and RP for regular shots. Charged ones do bunch of more damage. Biggest problem is though that you can't parry with the arrows. It would probably be too OP if you could parry with it but why I would use this when I can use RP+BMA to do huge damage and even get a parry in.

edit.
Grimløck;186993923 said:
how does the beast meter work again?

Take off all clothes and then just hammer away. You gain beast meter by attacking enemies. Higher the meter higher the damage and lower the defense. Basically glass cannon build.

Zemm

I think it's time they added a boss selection mode to these games once you've beaten them all. I really want to run some of these bosses again but obviously can't without going through the whole game. I'd still do multiple playthroughs but sometimes I just want to try and master a boss.

Derpot

Maybe you need to equip better blood gems?

Ferr986

Contrary to popular belief, is no significance to blood color in Bloodborne.

Oh, I though the blood color made the difference. Maybe I was wrong then.

Btw, I found you can cheese the 2 well fishdudes easily, I saw a message saying to try proyectiles on the floor before droping to the area where they are and yep
go where the Winter lanterns are, kill them. Now aim a poison knife to the guy, kinda hard to do but it's possible. He would rush to you but because you are up there he can't hit you but you can. Be wary that it may clip and still hit you, but its stupidly simple this way.

Derpot

Tried it again just now and the blade moveset was actually pretty good and fun to use. I just don't like the Bow part. Damage seems to be around the same as Evelyn and RP for regular shots. Charged ones do bunch of more damage. Biggest problem is though that you can't parry with the arrows. It would probably be too OP if you could parry with it but why I would use this when I can use RP+BMA to do huge damage and even get a parry in.

Yeah, I was also disappointed that you can't parry with the arrow. You can still backstab by shooting a charged arrow tho.

Oh, I though the blood color made the difference. Maybe I was wrong then.

Btw, I found you can cheese the 2 well fishdudes easily, I saw a message saying to try proyectiles on the floor before droping to the area where they are and yep
go where the Winter lanterns are, kill them. Now aim a poison knife to the guy, kinda hard to do but it's possible. He would rush to you but because you are up there you cant hit him. Be wary that it may clip and still hit you, but its stupidly simple this way.

Yeah. People have picked up that Great Ones have white blood and everything else has red blood. But lots of Great Ones have Red Blood and normal life forms change have white blood. Lots of enemies also bleed both.

Take off all clothes and then just hammer away. You gain beast meter by attacking enemies. Higher the meter higher the damage and lower the defense. Basically glass cannon build.

Taking off all your clothes would be a bad idea as armor increases your Beasthood stat. Durja's set is a pretty good set for high Beasthood.

What? Yes there is. Certainly not a gameplay significance, but blood indicates the differences in Beast, Kin, and Great Ones. It isn't just a random design choice.

This isn't true, though.

Ebrietas bleeds red and white.
Rom bleeds red and white.
Blood-starved Beast bleeds red and white.
Amygdala bleeds red.
Mergo's Wet Nurse bleeds red.
Provost Willem bleeds white.
The Doll bleeds white.
The slime students bleed red and white.
The Moon Presence bleeds red.

There is no consistency at all.

This isn't true, though.

Ebrietas bleeds red and white.
Rom bleeds red and white.
Blood-starved Beast bleeds red and white.
Amygdala bleeds red.
Mergo's Wet Nurse bleeds red.
Provost Willem bleeds white.
The slime students bleed red and white.
The Moon Presence bleeds red.

There is no consistency at all.

There's definitely an explanation, from that lore thesis. I'm too lazy to look it up however. 90 pages is a lot. :p

Murkas

DLC done, Bloodborne back to 100%.

I raged against the optional boss so much I switched weapons and made the buzz saw my main after hours and hours of Burial Blade use. Really liking the saw, will be sticking with it.

Really good piece of DLC, Artorias of the Abyss level. NG++ made it really challenging.

End DLC boss spoilers.
So that's the actual body of Kos? Looks like one of those flying manta rays from Demon's Souls.

Spoo

I'm at the end boss now, so I feel like I can more directly comment on what I feel is wrong with this DLC.

First, I started on NG+3, which is essentially unplayable for me. It's probably not unplayable for those who have stuck with the game since launch, but coming back in I felt relatively unskilled, and attributed most of my failures early on to that. But BB is kind of like riding a bike, and within a day or two I felt like my abilities came back to me. But it really wasn't enough -- if you're playing NG+* modes, the expectation is that you can deal with 1-shots; and as good at the base game as I was, there's a design philosophy here that doesn't much compare.

I then restarted on an underleveled character who was a fresh start. Strength build, axe, around level 70 or so. I went into the DLC with that character, and found it to be a completely different experience. No more 1 shots; it felt distinctly balanced. My recommendation for those who are in my position and absolutely must play the DLC, do it on a fresh character, and come in at around level 70. If you want things to be smoother still, make that 80.

But I think the Bloodborne DLC is, well, not very good. It has its moments, to be sure, but the first stage is rather uneventful. Other than a really neat new character (who has many variations) to fight against, it's pretty familiar -- maybe too familiar, considering where it takes place. Up to the first boss, you might find yourself face to face with more moments of "gotcha" than the base game -- these are moments where you will likely perish because of annoyingly placed traps. I really dislike this kind of thing, and felt like it wasn't very frequent in the base game.

The first boss is not a fun fight. It looks visually spectacular, and I don't discount peoples experiences having fun with it, but the boss has a pretty annoying move set, and very few real weaknesses. It's easily harder than any boss in the main game. And therein I think lies the design philosophy of this DLC which I kind of don't care for: make the bosses the hardest bosses From has ever designed.

Depending on who you are, this is either a really great thing, or not a really great thing. I'm not really interested in arguing over it, but just to say that I think all of the bosses in the DLC are less interesting, and less fun to play against because of it. They *may* be more rewarding defeat, though; if you are chasing the heart-pounding of being on the very edge of loss and succeeding, then you'll find that here. But I think you'll only feel that because of how much the deck is stacked against you; not because the fights themselves are particularly fun.

The areas get better the further you get. (spoiler for # of areas):
The first area is pretty pedestrian, the second area is much more unique and creepy, and the final area of the game is extraordinarily impressive. Probably the best I've seen across the base game, and any DS game I've played.

That said there's a bunch of "dumb" encounters that threaten to rip the fun out of the experience of the later stages. Unlike the relatively well designed hunters who demand better play, but feel fair, there's stuff out there (you see the words "those fuckin' sharks" a lot here!) that just feel like out-of-place encounters meant delay and enrage you. I ended up cheesing some of them because their AI isn't too good -- but only because I felt like I couldn't beat them in a fair fight. They contrast poorly with the other enemies who are so easy to defeat they may as well not be in the game.

I like the new weapons and stuff I've played with, but the gear here is underwhelming. More often that not, the weapons I want to play with I can't because my character isn't built to take advantage of them. One thing I think FROM should have introduced here is maybe a one-time use respec item.

I think the Old Hunters makes the core Bloodborne game better. The additions are nice, and helpful for people who need them.

I think the expansion is solid. To me, it's a A+ world (once you get into it), contrasted with a B- design philosophy which is more for the extraordinarily hardcore players, and less for those people who want "harsh but fair." If difficulty is what you want, the package is worth it, but I feel like the balance isn't here -- exploration of the world is either extremely easy, or extremely hard, contrasted with the base game that has a somewhere-in-the-middle design philosophy. I went through BB multiple times -- I don't think I'll replay this expansion once I finish it, and I don't think I'll remember it horribly fondly. As I said, I think it's solidly put together, but the balance is so off that I begrudgingly come back to it because of my love for the core experience present both here and the base game. :\

Obviously, YMMV and this could be exactly what you want from the expansion. If so, you'll find it. It's a bit much for me personally, even though I've found myself able to overcome most of its challenges, I never really had the same kind of fun doing it as I did in the base game.

Top Bottom