• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

There's definitely an explanation, from that lore thesis. I'm too lazy to look it up however. 90 pages is a lot. :p

I've read The Paleblood Hunt. Redgrave makes the assumption most people make: that white is for Great Ones. Gray is for kin. Red is for normal life forms. Most people make this assumption because they believe somebody who wrote a 90 page thesis is going to be correct. But he is wrong about this.

But as thorough at Redgrave was, he's just not correct. Because the rules he explains are not reflected in the game, as shown above. When it came to actually taking note of the color the known creatures were bleeding, he actually didn't at all.

He used his theory on blood color to suggest The Doll was
a Great One in disguise.
Which, after The Old Hunters,
we know is not true.

So, yeah, Redgrave was wrong on that part.

Okay so I just got the Beasthunter Saif? Do you guys think its worth it to invest in this over the threaded cane for a Skill build? Or should I just power through the dlc until I get the true weapon I want, Rakuyo?

Side note, I'm disappointed to hear in all the bad impressions of Simon's Bowblade. Are the arrows really that weak even with bloodtinge build? I was thinking Simon's and Chikage would be awesome companions for a Skill/BT character, but I may not bother investing in all that if the bow isn't that good.

Something I noticed in the last arena, lore spoilers maybe

if you hit Kos's corpse, she has red blood and not white. Should her blood be white, as a Great One?

Also, sucks that the weird sun
dissapears after finishing the DLC, it looked really cool.

Sometimes some Great Ones and bosses
ooze two different colours of blood. Ebrietas expels red blood and bleeds clear blood. Logarius oozes red and purple blood when you visceral him. The Moon Presence also exclusively bleeds red.

Well, Ebrietas's Healing Blood is not necessarily her blood, but something comparable to human blood, so it's used in transfusions. It's possible a different fluid is coming out when you hit Kos...probably the medium for the Kos Parasites/Vermin. Or they could the same class of Great One as the Moon Presence, which have red blood as opposed to clear or white.

mellow

been consistently helping people with
OoK
successfully today, but in about 7 attempts haven't been able to defeat
Laurence
with anyone or even get to phase 2, definitely seems like that's the boss people are struggling with the most, had to replay
Maria
again a few times because it's just really fun, man, if only the rakuyo had that moveset

I didn't CO-OP much in the vanilla game on release but I noticed my +HP % runes didn't carry over into co-op? I'm guessing that's a thing

ooze two different colours of blood. Ebrietas expels red blood and bleeds clear blood. Logarius oozes red and purple blood when you visceral him. The Moon Presence also exclusively bleeds red.

Well, Ebrietas's Healing Blood is not necessarily her blood, but something comparable to human blood, so it's used in transfusions. It's possible a different fluid is coming out when you hit Kos...probably the medium for the Kos Parasites/Vermin. Or they could the same class of Great One as the Moon Presence, which have red blood as opposed to clear or white.

Or, again, people place much too much emphasis on blood color despite its consistent inconsistencies with the theories people come up with.

Generally, kin have grey or white blood. But almost everything has red blood too, including kin, and there is no in-text validation for this supposed blood color having any significance. You can't say Great Ones bleed white when the Moon Presence bleeds red exclusively, when Mergo's Wet Nurse bleeds red exclusively, and the BSB bleeds white and red too.

This new boss is just another example that the supposed pattern does not and has never existed.

Bloodborne has a lot of subtlety and its lore is there for the player to infer. But the attachment people have on blood color seems, to me, like a mistake. You can't rationalize rules for the blood color without having to make stuff up to fill in the blanks of the logic that is simply not in the game text.

The only real rule is that enemies with white or gray blood are "not natural". Which, as far as the game is concerned, is the only rule you need. Use white blood as an indicator that the species is removed from our traditional notions of nature.

Murkas

been consistently helping people with
OoK
successfully today, but in about 7 attempts haven't been able to defeat
Laurence
with anyone or even get to phase 2, definitely seems like that's the boss people are struggling with the most, had to replay
Maria
again a few times because it's just really fun, man, if only the rakuyo had that moveset

I didn't CO-OP much in the vanilla game on release but I noticed my +HP % runes didn't carry over into co-op? I'm guessing that's a thing

Yeah, your HP is reduced when you're helping other players, you can use the league Carryl rune to reduce the amount by 2% I think but I don't bother.

Ferr986

Gotcha
you're right about Moon Presence, he/she has red blood.

Btw, something unrelated but I just got invaded in Mensis while testing the Rayuko. Dude wanted to drag me to the shadow dudes to make me aggro them. Of course I stand still, waiting for him to come and fight a fair fight. And then he goes away with the silencing bell. Like... why the fuck do you invade people? don't you want to just fight me? do you think I'm really that stupid?

Okay so I just got the Beasthunter Saif? Do you guys think its worth it to invest in this over the threaded cane for a Skill build? Or should I just power through the dlc until I get the true weapon I want, Rakuyo?
I bumped the Saif up to +7 and have been using it instead of my +9 Saw Spear. The regular R1 attacks are phenomenal against groups.

It's a great weapon for playing with range and positioning. The R1 in "short blade" mode dashes you forward, and you can simply tap L1 repeatedly (with correct timing) to trick-switch between "short" and "long". The "short" switch will dash you forward, and the "long" switch dashes backward. The regular R1 attack in "long" mode (the default mode, unlike the other cleavers) is a mostly-horizontal sweep and has a bit less range than the threaded cane (based on eyeballing, not based on rigorous testing on my part). The attack pattern for the "long" mode is fairly similar to the cane, though, and can take care of groups in much the same way. It scales D/B/C in STR/SKL/ARC at +10 for what it's worth.

Very fun weapon, IMO. I think it'll probably be overlooked by most people because it's "just another cleaver-style" weapon and isn't as bizarre or unique as many of the other weapons added in the DLC.

Sifl

Idk the difficulty of NG+ or higher for the bosses, but on NG every boss was disappointingly easy except the last 1, first tried all of them. I was like lvl 80-85 when I did most of them, and idk the suggested lvl for the expansion.

Derpot

I bumped the Saif up to +7 and have been using it instead of my +9 Saw Spear. The regular R1 attacks are phenomenal against groups.

It's a great weapon for playing with range and positioning. The R1 in "short blade" mode dashes you forward, and you can simply tap L1 repeatedly (with correct timing) to trick-switch between "short" and "long". The "short" switch will dash you forward, and the "long" switch dashes backward.

Very fun weapon, IMO. I think it'll probably be overlooked by most people because it's "just another cleaver-style" weapon and isn't as bizarre or unique as many of the other weapons added in the DLC.

Yeah, I didn't really like the moveset at first because it felt weird, but it's actually a good and fun weapon!

Ferr986

Idk the difficulty of NG+ or higher for the bosses, but on NG every boss was disappointingly easy except the last 1, first tried all of them. I was like lvl 80-85 when I did most of them, and idk the suggested lvl for the expansion.

Recommended level was around 70 I think?

Problem with NG+ and higher is that bosses can 2-shoot (3 hits at most) you easily even with 1890HP (50 VIT with runes).

I've read The Paleblood Hunt. Redgrave makes the assumption most people make: that white is for Great Ones. Gray is for kin. Red is for normal life forms. Most people make this assumption because they believe somebody who wrote a 90 page thesis is going to be correct. But he is wrong about this.

But as thorough at Redgrave was, he's just not correct. Because the rules he explains are not reflected in the game, as shown above. When it came to actually taking note of the color the known creatures were bleeding, he actually didn't at all.

He used his theory on blood color to suggest The Doll was
a Great One in disguise.
Which, after The Old Hunters,
we know is not true.

So, yeah, Redgrave was wrong on that part.

I'm pretty sure he said that red was for things that were born, and white for things that were created. Rom bleeds white, meaning he was created. I don't ever recall him bleeding red.

Phenomena

Man those (late game area/enemies spoiler)
Shark giants in the pit
were rough, but I managed it with the usage of Shaman blades. Didn't help that during the whole fight there was an invader running alongside me and just waiting to kill me. Managed to kill him as well, lol.

RiggyRob

I had to pepper a heavy amount of chalice dungeons across my NG character just to get past the first god damn boss of the DLC. I don't want to beat the game almost but she's going to tackle that dlc later. I had to be level 93 to beat the first dlc boss.

Fair enough, I imagine the DLC is a late game area and we haven't really explored it yet anyway. Do you really have to grind that much for it? She has the same disdain for the Chalice Dungeons I did, I don't think she'd be interested in doing them.

Amirnol

I don't know much about how the game saves it states or the PS4's cloud saves, etc, but is it at all possible to revert to a previous save state? I accidentally killed
Adeline
before I was supposed to and now it seems I am screwed out of a very valuable item... Really bummed about that. Anything I can do?

Simons bowblade is the biggest disappointing piece of garbage, i was so hyped for bow only run, but it doesnt feel satisfying to use at all

Huh? Bow form is awesome, fast shooting (especially compared to Souls bows) and good damage with Bloodtinge, only downsides to me are stamina use and that R1 shots should parry since they're the same speed as a gun and cost 1 bullet. And it still absolutely wrecks certain bosses like Amygdala, Ebrietas and L
aurence

A bow only run isn't feasible though as Quicksilver Bullets aren't as stackable as arrows in Souls games. Even with Formless Oedon you'll burn through too many vials making rounds. Gotta use the sword form sometimes, which is fine because it's got a good moveset.

It's a great weapon for playing with range and positioning. The R1 in "short blade" mode dashes you forward, and you can simply tap L1 repeatedly (with correct timing) to trick-switch between "short" and "long". The "short" switch will dash you forward, and the "long" switch dashes backward. The regular R1 attack in "long" mode (the default mode, unlike the other cleavers) is a mostly-horizontal sweep and has a bit less range than the threaded cane (based on eyeballing, not based on rigorous testing on my part). The attack pattern for the "long" mode is fairly similar to the cane, though, and can take care of groups in much the same way. It scales D/B/C in STR/SKL/ARC at +10 for what it's worth.

Yes, the Saif is amazing. It's pretty much become my main weapon.

Korezo

Can't kill final dlc boss, when he shouts and lightning strikes I get comboed and killed. Every where I run it stikes right on me. Only rarely can I avoid the lighting bolts but only because for some reason it sometimes falls on some other location away from me.

myco666

Fair enough, I imagine the DLC is a late game area and we haven't really explored it yet anyway. Do you really have to grind that much for it? She has the same disdain for the Chalice Dungeons I did, I don't think she'd be interested in doing them.

DLC is pretty hard. The first boss has more health than any of the bosses in the main game and its damage output is also really high. If you have 30 Vit and 30+ on your damage stat DLC should be okay but it is really challenging at that low levels.

VinFTW

Can't kill final dlc boss, when he shouts and lightning strikes I get comboed and killed. Every where I run it stikes right on me. Only rarely can I avoid the lighting bolts but only because for some reason it sometimes falls on some other location away from me.
Get behind/close to him. Free hits.

You can sidestep the lightning shockwaves (maybe even with roll) or run afar from where the bolt strikes, since the should be a space without lightning the further you are.

The best way to avoid it, is be agressive and keep near him as much as you can. Seems he barely does it the more you stick to him.

When he starts the lightning move run for the door, it never hits there.

And done, optional boss bitch killed (thanks co-op partner, couldn't have done it without you), and all weapons obtained.

Epic DLC. Worth the asking price just for the first boss.

I read on a wiki page that he is more defenseless on his left side, it is just dodging his 3 strikes and then jump in for an attack while he has his back on you. On the second phase wait for the forth attack where he jumps high. Oddly enough he is the easiest boss for me due to my big damage I can deal with my blade. I struggled with everyone else.

Now I dread that I have the optional boss left.

Ferr986

I don't know much about how the game saves it states or the PS4's cloud saves, etc, but is it at all possible to revert to a previous save state? I accidentally killed
Adeline
before I was supposed to and now it seems I am screwed out of a very valuable item... Really bummed about that. Anything I can do?

the PS4 put your save on the cloud every time you put it on rest mode. So you can download the save on the cloud onto your PS4 again. Consider what you may lose when doing it. When you are about to download the save it shows the date and hour it was uploaded, so it may serve you as a guide.

Are any of the new Trophies missable?

nope.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at the end boss now, so I feel like I can more directly comment on what I feel is wrong with this DLC.

First, I started on NG+3, which is essentially unplayable for me. It's probably not unplayable for those who have stuck with the game since launch, but coming back in I felt relatively unskilled, and attributed most of my failures early on to that. But BB is kind of like riding a bike, and within a day or two I felt like my abilities came back to me. But it really wasn't enough -- if you're playing NG+* modes, the expectation is that you can deal with 1-shots; and as good at the base game as I was, there's a design philosophy here that doesn't much compare.

I then restarted on an underleveled character who was a fresh start. Strength build, axe, around level 70 or so. I went into the DLC with that character, and found it to be a completely different experience. No more 1 shots; it felt distinctly balanced. My recommendation for those who are in my position and absolutely must play the DLC, do it on a fresh character, and come in at around level 70. If you want things to be smoother still, make that 80.

But I think the Bloodborne DLC is, well, not very good. It has its moments, to be sure, but the first stage is rather uneventful. Other than a really neat new character (who has many variations) to fight against, it's pretty familiar -- maybe too familiar, considering where it takes place. Up to the first boss, you might find yourself face to face with more moments of "gotcha" than the base game -- these are moments where you will likely perish because of annoyingly placed traps. I really dislike this kind of thing, and felt like it wasn't very frequent in the base game.

The first boss is not a fun fight. It looks visually spectacular, and I don't discount peoples experiences having fun with it, but the boss has a pretty annoying move set, and very few real weaknesses. It's easily harder than any boss in the main game. And therein I think lies the design philosophy of this DLC which I kind of don't care for: make the bosses the hardest bosses From has ever designed.

Depending on who you are, this is either a really great thing, or not a really great thing. I'm not really interested in arguing over it, but just to say that I think all of the bosses in the DLC are less interesting, and less fun to play against because of it. They *may* be more rewarding defeat, though; if you are chasing the heart-pounding of being on the very edge of loss and succeeding, then you'll find that here. But I think you'll only feel that because of how much the deck is stacked against you; not because the fights themselves are particularly fun.

The areas get better the further you get. (spoiler for # of areas):
The first area is pretty pedestrian, the second area is much more unique and creepy, and the final area of the game is extraordinarily impressive. Probably the best I've seen across the base game, and any DS game I've played.

That said there's a bunch of "dumb" encounters that threaten to rip the fun out of the experience of the later stages. Unlike the relatively well designed hunters who demand better play, but feel fair, there's stuff out there (you see the words "those fuckin' sharks" a lot here!) that just feel like out-of-place encounters meant delay and enrage you. I ended up cheesing some of them because their AI isn't too good -- but only because I felt like I couldn't beat them in a fair fight. They contrast poorly with the other enemies who are so easy to defeat they may as well not be in the game.

I like the new weapons and stuff I've played with, but the gear here is underwhelming. More often that not, the weapons I want to play with I can't because my character isn't built to take advantage of them. One thing I think FROM should have introduced here is maybe a one-time use respec item.

I think the Old Hunters makes the core Bloodborne game better. The additions are nice, and helpful for people who need them.

I think the expansion is solid. To me, it's a A+ world (once you get into it), contrasted with a B- design philosophy which is more for the extraordinarily hardcore players, and less for those people who want "harsh but fair." If difficulty is what you want, the package is worth it, but I feel like the balance isn't here -- exploration of the world is either extremely easy, or extremely hard, contrasted with the base game that has a somewhere-in-the-middle design philosophy. I went through BB multiple times -- I don't think I'll replay this expansion once I finish it, and I don't think I'll remember it horribly fondly. As I said, I think it's solidly put together, but the balance is so off that I begrudgingly come back to it because of my love for the core experience present both here and the base game. :\

Obviously, YMMV and this could be exactly what you want from the expansion. If so, you'll find it. It's a bit much for me personally, even though I've found myself able to overcome most of its challenges, I never really had the same kind of fun doing it as I did in the base game.

This post bottom'd so I don't feel too bad quoting a wall of text just to say that I kind of agree. I think the bosses so far (I'm on OoK) are great except for the first one, who is terrible for all the reasons you mentioned and I'll probably never solo him. This DLC is too hard! Which is a crazy thing to say for a Souls game but even by those standards this is just brutal, and I've played all of them extensively. The thought of going through this several times is not something I'm interested in at all.

By contrast, Artorias DLC had some of the best bosses in the series, and they were all really hard, too - initially. But you can learn those fights and then it becomes a matter of executing, with a decent margin for error. Here, on NG+ and above, there is very little margin for error. It's excessive.

Not to say I don't think it's good, it is, but like Bloodborne in general, it doesn't make me want to go through it on several characters.

VinFTW

I agree that the tuning in higher levels of ng+(3-4 and higher) is horrible.

It's still the best experience in bloodborne but it demands that you be perfect in every fight.

It's rough, but it's doable I guess. Not nearly as fair as dark souls 1.

Laurence
is acutally such a good/not so hard fight.
If not for the few 2 hit combos you just can't dodge if you get hit by the first attack. Fuck that.

If anyone can help me coop him, NG++ here.

I consider this place to be pretty late game, like right before you fight Gherman late game, but that's just me. On another note, I don't know who designed the Research Hall, but this area is god damn fucked up. It's creepy as fuck and fucking dangerous. I spent half my deaths falling off the god damn stairs because they must make me fight stuff on there. Holy shit. What's the lore significance of these people with the bags on their heads god damn they're in so much pain to the point that killing them is the humane thing to do.

Laurence
If not for the few 2 hit combos you just can't dodge if you get hit by the first attack. Fuck that.

I am in the same NG as you, I can help. I want to practice a bit since he is the only boss I have left.

I consider this place to be pretty late game, like right before you fight Gherman late game, but that's just me. On another note, I don't know who designed the Research Hall, but this area is god damn fucked up. It's creepy as fuck and fucking dangerous. I spent half my deaths falling off the god damn stairs because they must make me fight stuff on there. Holy shit. What's the lore significance of these people with the bags on their heads god damn they're in so much pain to the point that killing them is the humane thing to do.

I don't think those are bags...

Laurence

I just beat him twice, i'm busy for 20ish minutes. I'll be happy to help if you still need it.

RiggyRob

DLC is pretty hard. The first boss has more health than any of the bosses in the main game and its damage output is also really high. If you have 30 Vit and 30+ on your damage stat DLC should be okay but it is really challenging at that low levels.

To be fair, she's at 26 Vit/25 End/25 Skill right now so she'd be alright to begin with, and she's exploring Cainhurst at the moment so she'll get Chunks to get the Threaded Cane/Rifle Spear to +9, but as you said the fact the boss has a lot of health could be challenging for her

storafötter;187001090 said:
I am in the same NG as you, I can help. I want to practice a bit since he is the only boss I have left.

cry.gif

Ofc instant combo of death

Really enjoying the DLC so far, but Jesus Christ, the gatling gun hunter in the cave is fucking bullshit. Actually, not a fan of all the hunters in the DLC seemingly having infinite stamina.

Quick question, If i've killed
Gehrman
but not
moon presence
can I still access the dlc, or am I going to have to go into ng+ (late game spoilers)

Top Bottom