• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Just got to fight the boss at the top of the clocktower (the one after the boss in the flower area)....

1408.gif

"Only a honest death will cure you now.
Liberate you, from your wild curiosity."

myco666

Yeah fuck OoK. I'm never going to beat this solo on NG+3 and since matchmaking doesn't work I guess I'm never going to beat this fucking DLC.

Matchmaking works just fine. Its just that not many play at NG+++ and there are more people calling for help than there are helpers when the game is new. I get summoned almost instantly to any boss.

edit.
Does it deplete health like the chikage?

Nope. It takes small chunk away everytime you transform it to bloodmode. You can keep it on bloodmode at all times unless you want to use gun. Transformed L2 though
causes frenzy build up and it is pretty much guaranteed frenzy. The move is fantastic otherwise.

ubiblu

Just beat OoK on my fifth NG+ attempt. Just like Ludwig and Laurence (40 attempts and counting), these fights just end up scrappy and button-mashing. Unlike most souls fights, there seems to be a huge element of luck, crappy camera, and dubious i-frames playing a key role in all of my victories.

Great DLC, but souls combat never felt like this :(

Despera

Banned
Yeah fuck OoK. I'm never going to beat this solo on NG+3 and since matchmaking doesn't work I guess I'm never going to beat this fucking DLC.
I'm currently fighting him as well on NG+3. It aint easy, but I'll try going for visceral attacks and see how that goes.

silva1991

Just stumbled onto the
Living Failures
fight. How the fuck am I supposed to kill four amped up Celestial Emmisaries at the same fucking time!!!!!

Separate them and the attack the spell casters. and when the use the meteor attack hide behind the tree and use the new dlc shield.

Phenomena

Damn! I managed to beat OoK on the first try despite playing kind of sloppy. Really was a tense fight.

So there's one optional boss left? I'm guessing it has something to do with the
sleeping Cleric Beast that's on fire in the beginning of the DLC
?

Soriku

Just stumbled onto the
Living Failures
fight. How the fuck am I supposed to kill four amped up Celestial Emmisaries at the same fucking time!!!!!

Hit and run. Separate them and get whatever hits in you can. Remember their HP is shared, so it doesn't matter who you hit. During the meteor attack stay on the left side (your left, from the door) of the plant as most meteors will just hit it instead of you. Just watch out for their lasers.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can be there. Just beat lawerence.

I'm next to the lighthouse lantern with GAFHUNT as pw if you want to try to jump in.

I'm currently fighting him as well on NG+3. It aint easy, but I'll try going for visceral attacks and see how that goes.

Does that work on phase 2? Because I've got phase 1 down pretty reliably, but phase 2 is ridiiiiiculous

I'm currently rocking a Bloodtinge build (chikage is bae), but I wanted to start building towards something else now that my Bloodtinge is at 50. What's the best DLC weapon and how should I build my dude?

Lucario

Just stumbled onto the
Living Failures

1: You can backstab them. It's really easy after
their head-floor attack
or when they
start casting spells.

2: When they do their
fucking bullshit final fantasy meteor attack, hide behind the tree. You can also backstab at the very beginning of it, but it's really risky and I only pulled it off once.

3:
For the most part, only one of them will cast magic at a time, and the rest will follow you and stay in melee range.

silva1991

Do those things have high arcane resistance? I swear my hits buffed with the phantasm shell and the MLGS buffed wasn't doing much to them.

Where's the shield? I clearly missed some things.

In the research hall on a balcony in one of the higher floors.

just go to the highest floor and look at the area from above you should be able to locate it.

I'm next to the lighthouse lantern with GAFHUNT as pw if you want to try to jump in.

Does that work on phase 2? Because I've got phase 1 down pretty reliably, but phase 2 is ridiiiiiculous

In the lighthouse hut, ringing bell, do make sure you're on worldwide

In the research hall on a balcony in one of the higher floors.

just go to the highest floor and look at the area from above you should be able to locate it.
I honestly do not like exploring this place and I think I raised the stairs before I could find the first batch of brain fluid so hopefully I'm not locked out of that yet.

Soriku

What's the shield good for? Read it doesn't work for physical attacks so does it block everything else?

It's more effective for elemental attacks yes. But if you're fight a boss like the Flaming L, you might block his attacks, sparing your HP, but you'll lose most or all of your stamina momentarily. So you have to decide if that's really worth it.

a harpy

Just beat OoK on my fifth NG+ attempt. Just like Ludwig and Laurence (40 attempts and counting), these fights just end up scrappy and button-mashing. Unlike most souls fights, there seems to be a huge element of luck, crappy camera, and dubious i-frames playing a key role in all of my victories.

Great DLC, but souls combat never felt like this :(

I don't think this is a fair assessment of these fights. I think their style just isn't meshing with yours. This very thread has multiple examples of people that got the fights on their first or second try, or that were able to "figure the boss out".

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
In the lighthouse hut, ringing bell, do make sure you're on worldwide

I CANT BELIEVE IT WORKED!

I'm ringing the bell again if you wanna help me give it another go. Second phase is brutal, one combo and you're done.

Spoo

I don't think this is a fair assessment of these fights. I think their style just isn't meshing with yours. This very thread has multiple examples of people that got the fights on their first or second try, or that were able to "figure the boss out".

I mean, this thread also has examples of people who feel the fights themselves just aren't very good. Amazing designs, music, etc., which make people want to love them, but the core design philosophy behind them seems to be "no weaknesses; tanky; powerful." Which, depending on what NG* variant you're playing on can range from "doable" all the way to "soul-crushingly ridiculous."

Whether you like them or not, they are divisive and, I think, not in the style of the base game, design-wise.

lol, the reactions to this thread are so great! Getting hyped. I'm finishing a bunch of my backlog before I move on to the DLC and pick up BB again (Thomas Was Alone, TR, Great War, Velocity, Guacamelee) but man, can't wait to jump back into this and share the experiences....

Looks like a worthy expansion a worthy contender for GOTY.

myco666

I mean, this thread also has examples of people who feel the fights themselves just aren't very good. Amazing designs, music, etc., which make people want to love them, but the core design philosophy behind them seems to be "no weaknesses; tanky; powerful." Which, depending on what NG* variant you're playing on can range from "doable" all the way to "soul-crushingly ridiculous."

Whether you like them or not, they are divisive and, I think, not in the style of the base game, design-wise.

All of the DLC bosses have weaknesses. The health pools are little bit too high mostly because I think this should be more manageable early so that you could get new weapons early. They should drop them to same range with main game healths though. Also I really don't understand the complaining about how in NG++ and beyond these bosses are one hit kills etc when the main game is similiar. Reason why it feels much harder is that you are learning the fights with the most punishing difficulty right of the bat and not on easier difficulty where everyone learned strategies they could apply to NG+ runs making those runs easier. If everyone started Bloodborne at NG++ everyone would complain how cheap, tanky etc the bosses are.

a harpy

Alright, that's fair. Personally, I think they're fine, but you're absolutely correct and there's been plenty of back and forth about them. I might not think his assessment was fair, but my opinion is no more valid than his.

I do not think the bosses come off as tanky and powerful without weaknesses. I think a large part of the disdain for the bosses is that you can access them much sooner than you should be able to, and some of the early bosses in the DLC you are able to bruteforce down by getting lucky or having a good summon with you, which only exacerbates the issue. If you go into the DLC in regular NG at ~level 75, it seems on par with the rest of the game to me. As others have mentioned, NG++ has stuff that can kill you in a single hit in the base game. The DLC, which is end-game difficulty, is going to be no exception.

Bebpo

Banned
So, after this DLC I'm pretty in the souls mood and want more of it. Never got too far in Dark Souls 1 because I lost my save 15ish hours in, and never played DS2 because I didn't finish DS1.

Thinking about starting up Dark Souls 1 today. When I played it originally, I did a ranged soul arrow build which is what I did for Demon Souls, but after playing Bloodborne and absolutely loving the intense melee action of dodging/parrying/getting close slash slash slash, I'm thinking about trying melee in Dark Souls 1 this time.

How does the melee compare to Bloodborne? Is there anything quick, successive damage, like the short-form saw cleaver? I remember Demon/Dark souls melee being big slow swords sort of like Ludwig 2H which is why I never went melee in those games. I know DS1&2 are gonna feel a lot slower coming from Bloodborne, but are there build types that will make it closer to Bloodborne's melee?

Ringing bell

Chalice dungeons, level 5 bosses should give you a blood rock and there are a few specific dungeons that have blood rocks in the treasure rooms

Hmmm that's what I feared. I've only gotten the blood rock from the campaign but never wanted to bother with the chalice dungeon stuff

Have a +9 moonlight blade now and it may stay that way

Top Bottom