• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

tizaffy

Neo Member
is there any in depth guide on how new weapons scale? In bloodborne not all A B C scaling was equal. there was a varying range.

Even with str/skill with the right gems the Moonlight is better

Build is largely strength (35) with some arcane (21)

I went heavy Skill (50) with about 24 Strength and 24 Arcane and, with the gems I have, Ludwig's was MUCH more powerful.

So, after this DLC I'm pretty in the souls mood and want more of it. Never got too far in Dark Souls 1 because I lost my save 15ish hours in, and never played DS2 because I didn't finish DS1.

Thinking about starting up Dark Souls 1 today. When I played it originally, I did a ranged soul arrow build which is what I did for Demon Souls, but after playing Bloodborne and absolutely loving the intense melee action of dodging/parrying/getting close slash slash slash, I'm thinking about trying melee in Dark Souls 1 this time.

How does the melee compare to Bloodborne? Is there anything quick, successive damage, like the short-form saw cleaver? I remember Demon/Dark souls melee being big slow swords sort of like Ludwig 2H which is why I never went melee in those games. I know DS1&2 are gonna feel a lot slower coming from Bloodborne, but are there build types that will make it closer to Bloodborne's melee?

It's slower but if you use a short sword it should be similar to the short sword form of Ludwig's/Kirkhammer. You won't be dashing about like Bloodbone though.

OoK
is kicking my ass gloriously, hahaha.

I decided to go for visceral attacks strategy on him (don't ask why cause I have no idea how did I came to that conclusion lol) and he just killed me over and over and over again.

After what felt like a hundred tries I finally came to my senses and went back to my usual play style, and what do you know? My first try and I was one charge attack away from killing him when he one shoot me.

Ah, I think I'm done for tonight. I'll get him tomorrow.

demonkaze

Looking for some help on the first boss on NG+, can get it down to the second phase but he keeps killing me, using the GAFHUNT password.

Looking for some help on the first boss on NG+, can get it down to the second phase but he keeps killing me, using the GAFHUNT password.

I'l be outside the boss room in a min
ok ringing bell
password GAFHUNT

Thanks that was fun!

Sure was :)

Actually, how can you help someone? Is there some other bell that you have to ring or is it the same bell but you have to do something else?

The person looking for help rings the bell of beckoning and the person who wants to help rings the resonant bell

SRTtoZ

Took out the optional boss on my 2nd attempt. Damn he has a crazy 360 moveset that's slightly annoying but still fun none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tl6wLpZJqI

Actually, how can you help someone? Is there some other bell that you have to ring or is it the same bell but you have to do something else?

To help someone you need the small bell from the insight vendor. The bigger bell that you get in the beginning of the game lets you summon help, the small bell lets you help people.

Finally I managed to beat
Lawrence
. He actually isnt that bad. His last phase is a lot easier than the earlier ones. All I did on his last phase was
keep close and strafe as he was strafing moving left
. I am sure on the next New Game plus I will struggle a lot more.

Now remains the "true" last boss in that well, you know what I am talking about. Apparently
the last weapon is in the well with those two giant fish

still looking for help with laurence.

Password GAFHUNT

I can help. He is the most fun boss on the DLC and the one I spent more than a day to beat.

I FUCKING DID IT

After trying countless times since Tuesday morning, probably 12 hours or more, 1st boss is dead as fuck (NG+, level 102)

Awesome. Now to struggle with the next

zma1013

So, after this DLC I'm pretty in the souls mood and want more of it. Never got too far in Dark Souls 1 because I lost my save 15ish hours in, and never played DS2 because I didn't finish DS1.

Thinking about starting up Dark Souls 1 today. When I played it originally, I did a ranged soul arrow build which is what I did for Demon Souls, but after playing Bloodborne and absolutely loving the intense melee action of dodging/parrying/getting close slash slash slash, I'm thinking about trying melee in Dark Souls 1 this time.

How does the melee compare to Bloodborne? Is there anything quick, successive damage, like the short-form saw cleaver? I remember Demon/Dark souls melee being big slow swords sort of like Ludwig 2H which is why I never went melee in those games. I know DS1&2 are gonna feel a lot slower coming from Bloodborne, but are there build types that will make it closer to Bloodborne's melee?

Keep your armor under 25%, use smaller faster weapons, not giant great hammers and other big slow weapons, don't use a shield so you are then forced to dodge attacks then yeah it can be like Bloodborne for sure. As for pure speed comparison you obviously won't be darting around as fast since the roll is just slower but that doesn't make the fights any less interesting or challenging. There's plenty of bosses and enemies that will make you drain your stamina and sweat bullets.

After 3 hours on NG+++ on my lvl 143 hunter I think I might throw in the towel on
Ludwig
for now. I can actually now get him to phase 2 most of the time and read phase 1 pretty well but because I'm so used to phase one and he is basically an entirely new boss, my timing is totally off. Then he has retarded tracking on a couple of his moves and sword swipes that hit all around him. I got close a couple of times but I dunno.... I'm tired lol.

I'lThe person looking for help rings the bell of beckoning and the person who wants to help rings the resonant bell
To help someone you need the small bell from the insight vendor. The bigger bell that you get in the beginning of the game lets you summon help, the small bell lets you help people.
Thanks guys. I think I might get this one tomorrow as well and help a few people in DLC. Some of those boss fights are really fun.

After 3 hours on NG+++ on my lvl 143 hunter I think I might throw in the towel on
Ludwig
for now. I can actually now get him to phase 2 most of the time and read phase 1 pretty well but because I'm so used to phase one and he is basically an entirely new boss, my timing is totally off. Then he has retarded tracking on a couple of his moves and sword swipes that hit all around him. I got close a couple of times but I dunno.... I'm tired lol.

143 on NG+++? I think you are severely under leveled for the DLC. I'm currently lvl 160 on NG+ and I'm still having some trouble getting through some later areas.

Ludwig
Hot tips that may help you with phase 2:

- Stay close and dodge in the direction from which he swings
-Seriously stay close that ranged stuff is bullshit
- Back off when he does the sword in ground AOE
-Sword raised does the same size AOE as in ground, followed by mega ultra room filling bullshit wave. Avoid the AOE, then get close and dodge to his left (or right if you're more comfortable with that) as soon as he does his grunt sound cue to swing
-His typical three swing combo: first two can generally be avoided, third will track the living fuck out of you. Wait to dodge until he actually starts the swing, otherwise you will be insta-rekt (ate that shit so many fucking times) However, upon dodging his third swing, you have time to heal if needed. Otherwise slash slash slash slash
-Attack his belly, that will stun him for the visceral (same place as well, he dips his head but don't be fooled, you're in the right place) Try to get a few more hits in while he's stunned, but obviously you only have so long of a window to actually visceral

143 on NG+++? I think you are severely under leveled for the DLC. I'm currently lvl 160 on NG+ and I'm still having some trouble getting through some later areas.

oh im totally underleveled technically. but the actual stat advantage i would get from those extra levels is relatively tall. Anyway its totally possible at this level. Got him to about 10-15% twice but then the wall got in the way.

Hot tips that may help you with phase 2:

- Stay close and dodge in the direction from which he swings
-Seriously stay close that ranged stuff is bullshit
- Back off when he does the sword in ground AOE
-Sword raised does the same size AOE as in ground, followed by mega ultra room filling bullshit wave. Avoid the AOE, then get close and dodge to his left (or right if you're more comfortable with that) as soon as he does his grunt sound cue to swing
-His typical three swing combo: first two can generally be avoided, third will track the living fuck out of you. Wait to dodge until he actually starts the swing, otherwise you will be insta-rekt (ate that shit so many fucking times) However, upon dodging his third swing, you have time to heal if needed. Otherwise slash slash slash slash
-Attack his belly, that will stun him for the visceral (same place as well, he dips his head but don't be fooled, you're in the right place) Try to get a few more hits in while he's stunned, but obviously you only have so long of a window to actually visceral

Yeah i stick close as possible and essentially dodge behind but
he has a couple of swings that track you like crazy and the swing starts behind him so unless you get that dodge perfect its most your life gone lol. If I could just go straight to phase 2 I could practice it but going through phase one everytime is getting old. I got that phase down and it feels great dodging all his attacks now. but he has a butt load of health in NG+++ and the fight is taking forever lol.

Its cool I will prob just go through NG+ with my alt sometime and do it all again solo with him. Pretty satisfying just mastering phase 1 to be honest.

one amusing thing about this dlc is that all other bosses in the game seem stupidly easy in comparison. Just wrecked gehrman to take my alt into NG+.

Zemm

Just beat OoK on my fifth NG+ attempt. Just like Ludwig and Laurence (40 attempts and counting), these fights just end up scrappy and button-mashing. Unlike most souls fights, there seems to be a huge element of luck, crappy camera, and dubious i-frames playing a key role in all of my victories.

Great DLC, but souls combat never felt like this :(

Apart from Maria and to a lesser extent OoK none of the bosses have that flow to them I like. That feeling where you're two people fighting but it looks more like a dance. Stuff like Artorias is a good example. Bloodborne is just weak on the boss front, great game but I hope they move away from huge bosses in small square shaped rooms in future and make more boss fights like Maria, Artorias, etc.

Also, fucking get rid of bosses jumping in the air and the camera losing them, just awful.

Ferr986

Welp, all trophies got. Fuck you Miyazaki, you almost got me!

I'm gonna help people at coop and I'll do lots of NG runs but Im sure as hell I won't return here at NG+ lol

Neoweee

All bosses down with a fresh character. 18 hours total, like 5 or 6 outside of the DLC and rest in the DLC. Boss attempt #s: 7, 2, 7, 4, (2). There's no reason why the third should have given me such a hard time, and #1 would have taken a lot more if I hadn't left the DLC to do Woods/Wyrth/Yahar.

Great DLC. Some quibbles, but good stuff, and if it is anything like Dark Souls 1/2 DLC it will set the stage for the sequel. Great new weapons, too.

NOW, is there any good way to progress through the Chalice dungeons quickly? Ritual Blood farming is the single worst thing in the entire series. Any way to skip right to Loran or Isz chalices?

Top Bottom