• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

CHC

The two creature encounter in the well is so abysmally cheap and terrible. I thought From worked shit like this out of their system in the Dark Souls II DLC....

MilkBeard

The two creature encounter in the well is so abysmally cheap and terrible. I thought From worked shit like this out of their system in the Dark Souls II DLC....
I dont agree. Its an optional choice for you to go down there and fight them....kind of like, yeah, there are these crazy things in the well... try it, if you dare.
I managed to kill one, but when one is left, i end up dying. I managed to get the item though.

By the way, as people have said before, use the shaman bone. They will start attacking each other. Its a pretty cool scenario, in my opinion. Not to mention you could probably cheese them from a distance, as you can dind your way to the ledge later on.

Beat the secret boss, and got all the achievements in the dlc. I want to play it again though on another character, need to make a bloodtinge character and make a bow build. How is the gatling gun? I don't have the STR to use it, but if it's pretty awesome, I might pump some STR on my new character to give it a go.

CHC

I dont agree. Its an optional choice for you to go down there and fight them....kind of like, yeah, there are these crazy things in the well... try it, if you dare.
I managed to kill one, but when one is left, i end up dying. I managed to get the item though.

By the way, as people have said before, use the shaman bone. They will start attacking each other. Its a pretty cool scenario, in my opinion.

It's just that the enemies themselves are complete horseshit. They have 100% perfect tracking and they are just clumsily designed and spammy as all hell. Plus the whole "but wait there's ANOTHER one" gimmick is just so far below From's usual standard. It's a cheap trick to add difficulty that isn't clever or interesting at all. Obviously I don't expect these games to be easy, nor would I want them to be, but there are different kinds of difficulty and this is of the kind that doesn't match the rest of game's quality.

MilkBeard

It's just that the enemies themselves are complete horseshit. They have 100% perfect tracking and they are just clumsily designed and spammy as all hell. Plus the whole "but wait there's ANOTHER one" gimmick is just so far below From's usual standard. It's a cheap trick to add difficulty that isn't clever or interesting at all. Obviously I don't expect these games to be easy, nor would I want them to be, but there are different kinds of difficulty and this is of the kind that doesn't match the rest of game's quality.
Again, i disagree. If you are careful you will notice the other one hanging on the ceiling. I saw it when i was coming down. They dont have perfect tracking either. You have to time your dodge a little bit after they start swinging. Stick to its back and keep cool, and you can stun it with a big weapon in two to three hits. You can also parry them somehow, as i saw another gaffer discover. At half health, slash the first with a shaman blade and watch them go to town. They are also weak to molotovs. Honestly, they are just like other big enemies in the game. You just have to play smart and keep cool.

p3n

Beat the secret boss, and got all the achievements in the dlc. I want to play it again though on another character, need to make a bloodtinge character and make a bow build. How is the gatling gun? I don't have the STR to use it, but if it's pretty awesome, I might pump some STR on my new character to give it a go.

Still not sure if bone marrow ash is counting for the whole duration of the channeling fire mode with the gatling. I got it to +10 with a +33% BLT gem and 25 bullets worth of channeling with consumed ash varies between 8000 and 12500 damage.

Edit: Compared to +10 Evelyn the damage is lower (~1400 per ashed Evelyn shot) but it is much much faster and you probably just need one ash instead of 10.

They've been doing that since Demon's Souls.

GorillaJu

Sorry Unwritten, I trapped myself in the corner and couldnt dodge that :( I thought I was OK but he rotated 45 degrees and smacked me with it.

We can skip cutscenes btw I've done this before just not on such a low level char with weak weapons.

Edzi

I honestly don't think this DLC was meant to be played past NG++. On NG+++ there are just too many cheap one shot deaths.

Wookieomg

Got a question about co-op via password.. Does it matter which NG level I'm on compared to someone else? I'm working on killing
Laurence
on NG+3, and when I'm done with that I wouldn't mind helping other peeps out, but I'm not sure if I can join up if we're on different NG difficulties.

Lucentto

Banned
Anyone need help fighting Ludwig? I have been helping dozens of people fight this boss. People seem to be having a lot of trouble.

SRTtoZ

Got a question about co-op via password.. Does it matter which NG level I'm on compared to someone else? I'm working on killing
Laurence
on NG+3, and when I'm done with that I wouldn't mind helping other peeps out, but I'm not sure if I can join up if we're on different NG difficulties.

Nope. If you use a PW it doesnt matter, and if you don't use a PW only the level matters, not NG or +++++

Wookieomg

Nope. If you use a PW it doesnt matter, and if you don't use a PW only the level matters, not NG or +++++

Awesome, that's great to hear! I'll keep slamming my head against this boss till I hopefully beat it soon. Managed to get him down to ~15% and ~20% a couple diff times respectively, so maybe I'll make it all the way one of these next few times!

Still not sure if bone marrow ash is counting for the whole duration of the channeling fire mode with the gatling. I got it to +10 with a +33% BLT gem and 25 bullets worth of channeling with consumed ash varies between 8000 and 12500 damage.

Edit: Compared to +10 Evelyn the damage is lower (~1400 per ashed Evelyn shot) but it is much much faster and you probably just need one ash instead of 10.

I see, I guess some testing needs to be done for it and BMA. I know the flamesprayer and rosmarius BMA only lasts for like 1-2 seconds per channel before it needs to be reapplied for the buff, But if it retains the whole channel that would be really awesome.

zma1013

NG+ and above seems to only be feasible if you have very high VIT. I have 50 and 3 of the bosses could consistently one shot me on NG+5.

I'm on NG++ with 50 vit plus 10% HP rune and none of the bosses seem to have any attack that 1 shots me, although I don't think I tested against the first bosses running charge because I don't think he ever hit me with it in my game. The largest hits I've took at the most have done about 70% of my health.

Yeah I think the fishing hamlet unfortunately has the weakest level and encounter design in the DLC (and is probably a lesser one from that standpoint in the base game as well). It's a bummer because the atmosphere and story behind the place is top notch. I just don't think the enemies are very enjoyable to fight and nothing's as taught or interestingly designed as the two preceding areas. It's really short to get through too, especially since you can ignore half the map to get to the boss (and there doesn't seem to be anything interesting in that section that I've found yet, besides maybe a couple blood chunks?). The anchor wielding shark guys are crap though. If they were the weaponless variant it would be ok. Luckily the boss of the area, and final boss of the DLC I assume, seems pretty legit from the one attempt I made on it.

Super bummed that we're not getting any more DLC, or that this one isn't 1-2 areas longer. That's not to say I'm dissapointed with the DLC (far from it, I think it's amazing and has some of the best content of the game), but it's so good and I still have more questions I want answers to that it sucks we may never get any more follow up unless they make a Bloodborne 2.

Edzi

lol, those shark guys are straight up broken. That rush attack is a OHK that tracks you, and their limbs clip into you while trying to dodge so you barely move and get hit anyway.

Is there a thread to discuss the expansion at large, or is this the thread? I feel like lengthy write-ups will get lost in the commotion with pages upon pages of back-and-forths with everyone griping or asking for help with specific bosses.

This DLC is, for me, even better than Artorias of the Abyss, which was already way up there. I completely skipped Dark Souls 2's DLC because the base game was so disappointing, but I'm at the last boss of this and it's been amazing from beginning to end.

I agree that it is good. By the way, you might want to give DS2's DLC a second go, because I thought that it was by far the best content in the entire game.

lol, those shark guys are straight up broken in NG+++. That rush attack is a OHK, and I frequently get caught in their models when trying to dodge.

They go straight from the absurdly hard to dodge and powerful lock-on rush/slide, to an immediate 3 strike combo with the anchor that's also really hard to dodge. It sucks fighting them lol. I just ran past the one you have to fight with the caster dude because it's just no fun and there's no reward for fighting it. Now the well....ugh, that's gonna be a bitch.

Man, I can't believe the final boss of this DLC comes so early. It's like, I just started getting into it and finally beat that Cthulhu axe asshole and got the patterns of the Hammer guys down and it's like "You've had enough fun, time's up." I really did like that they never took control away from you and you have to play the whole thing out against impossible odds and just watch as you get wrecked horribly. It's much better than a cutscene in which you just lose, it really made the experience more visceral.

I'll never forget you Last Boss of Old Hunters; Stupid Fucking Cainhurst Ticks in the Blood River.

Top Bottom