• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Two hours later and still can't get close to beating him. I had no idea he had a second form. I only got to see it once. The problem is he has moves that kill me in one shot. The god damn charge move in particular is what's getting me. The hitbox on that thing is ridiculous. I don't know if it's because I'm in NG++ or what but the difficulty spike this guy has is outrageous.
You can definitely consistently dodge his charge by rolling to the left. His jumping charge is easily avoidable by rolling into it and to the left.

Are they releasing this as a retail bundle, similar to The Taken King for Destiny? I'd love to try out Bloodborne but if they have a GOTY edition I suppose I could just wait until a price drop.

I'm on NG++ with 50 vit plus 10% HP rune and none of the bosses seem to have any attack that 1 shots me, although I don't think I tested against the first bosses running charge because I don't think he ever hit me with it in my game. The largest hits I've took at the most have done about 70% of my health.

You must not have tested counter damage. A mistimed dodge against
Ludwig
Laurence
, and
the Orphan
often resulted in me dying from a single hit.

Man, I can't believe the final boss of this DLC comes so early. It's like, I just started getting into it and finally beat that Cthulhu axe asshole and got the patterns of the Hammer guys down and it's like "You've had enough fun, time's up." I really did like that they never took control away from you and you have to play the whole thing out against impossible odds and just watch as you get wrecked horribly. It's much better than a cutscene in which you just lose, it really made the experience more visceral.

I'll never forget you Last Boss of Old Hunters; Stupid Fucking Cainhurst Ticks in the Blood River.

Run/sneak past em breh. I only faught the ones on the right guarding the cave.

ubiblu

Finally nailed all DLC trophies, and already have the Platinum for the base game.

My review of the DLC:

Fuck Ludwig.
Fuck Orphan.
Fuck Laurence. So fucking hard.

I honestly don't see myself playing the DLC ever again. The locations and amount of content was great, but the bosses (and those fuckheads with anchors in the hamlet) were solely included to piss people off. At least with souls you feel like you have a chance to play strategically. This was pure button mashing and praying.

Not impressed Miyazaki. DS3 better not be like this.

Dahbomb

Those anchor dudes can lick my god damn balls.

Two of them together were legit harder than the actual boss of the area.

I am on OoK but I am going to finish this boss fight tomorrow. I have gotten the first form down but don't have enough experience against the 2nd form. Once I download that it should be easy. It's possible to backstab this boss for good damage although it's really difficult with a low range weapon (which unfortunately all of my leveled weapons are right now). It's best to fight this in close range.

Also WTF is he holding? Looks like a pancreas.

JayEH

Looking for someone to help with laurence. using the code in the OP, waiting by the fog gate. NG ++ btw.

Finally nailed all DLC trophies, and already have the Platinum for the base game.

My review of the DLC:

Fuck Ludwig.
Fuck Orphan.

I honestly don't see myself playing the DLC ever again. The locations and amount of content was great, but the bosses (and those fuckheads with anchors in the hamlet) were solely included to piss people off. At least with souls you feel like you have a chance to play strategically. This was pure button mashing and praying.

i feel the same.

Oh. I'm dumb.

I was having a ton of trouble with a bunch of the DLC until I realized I'm on New Game++. I forgot I beat the game twice. What level should I be at for the first boss? I'm 150

Whoopsiedoodle.

Ah well. I know I can beat Ludwig at this level, I've almost got his attacks down. Just have to figure out the fucking hitbox on his charge

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ludwig is probably must favourite Souls boss. Everything about it works for me (other than his ceiling leap attack).

beast276

Neo Member
Man if From doesn't fix the online matchmaking (I assume I'm not the only one with this problem) I don't know if I'll ever beat this DLC. I just cannot get past
Ludwig.
I'd consider myself pretty good at the Souls series but man I just CANNOT beat this guy! The NPC's are no help at all and if I can't play with other humans who know not to attack constantly instead of backing off and healing, I'll never get passed this guy.

Edzi

Whoopsiedoodle.

Ah well. I know I can beat Ludwig at this level, I've almost got his attacks down. Just have to figure out the fucking hitbox on his charge

Dodge left on that charge, but make sure you're not too early or his back legs might hit you.

Fhtagn

My review of the DLC:

Fuck Ludwig.
Fuck Orphan.

Could not disagree more on Orphan and Ludwig, those fights are total strategy and no mashing. Mashing gets you killed instantly.

Man if From doesn't fix the online matchmaking (I assume I'm not the only one with this problem) I don't know if I'll ever beat this DLC. I just cannot get past
Ludwig.
I'd consider myself pretty good at the Souls series but man I just CANNOT beat this guy! The NPC's are no help at all and if I can't play with other humans who know not to attack constantly instead of backing off and healing, I'll never get passed this guy.

What level and are you on NG or +?

Wagram

My review of the DLC:

Fuck Ludwig.
Fuck Orphan.

No it wasn't and you know it.

Edzi

Could not disagree more on Orphan and Ludwig, those fights are total strategy and no mashing. Mashing gets you killed instantly.

From what I'm hearing, the fights are vastly different depending on which ng+ version you're on. I'd have to agree with those saying some of the bosses aren't very well balanced for my current ng+++ run. Their health pools are too high relative to the amount of damage you can do, and on top of that they have multiple one hit kill moves.They're certainly doable, but just not as balanced as they could be which puts a damper on the fun.

psykomyko

Finished the DLC this evening.

Ludwig, Lady Maria, and Orphan of Kos were amazing boss fights.

I would say this is about on par with Artorias of the Abyss, in my opinion. Really great piece of DLC.

Fhtagn

From what I'm hearing, the fights are vastly different depending on which ng+ version you're on. I'd have to agree with those saying some of the bosses aren't very well balanced for my current ng+++ run. Their health pools are too high relative to the amount of damage you can do, and on top of that they have multiple one hit kill moves.

That is entirely possible; I sure feel like Laurence might have too many hit points in NG+. But on NG+ Ludwig is just fine. I soloed it on my first try after a few co-op attempts. I never got hit by the wide sweep and the stay back, let him combo, dodge and punish pattern of the second half is pretty clear.

It helps enormously to have a lot of VIT so that nothing is a OHKO.

Dodge left on that charge, but make sure you're not too early or his back legs might hit you.

Amusingly, I've found more success dodging to the right. I've got his charge down and now I just need to avoid his ceiling crawling. The dripping gives such a weird, inaccurate view of where he comes down.

I like this boss, but some of the reasons I'm still dying on easy shit to dodge is that the downtime after attacks is inconsistent so it's hard to know when to push or back off. That and the motherfucker has Dark Souls 2 syndrome where half his attacks have a 270 degree swing arc. At least he doesn't overhead track.

I'll prob give him a couple more tries tonight and if I don't win I'll just play through the main game on NG++ tomorrow to level a bit and go back. I need to be doing more damage but those soft caps are holding me down.

Top Bottom