• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

One thing that the DLC has done to shove me right back into the stupid chalice dungeons:

The
Blood Starved Beast in the caves
gave me a rare blood gem, getting me that one elusive trophy. Now all I've got left is the
Bride of Yharnam
in Chalice Dungeons and I've got the platinum.

Once more into the breach!

CHC

From what I'm hearing, the fights are vastly different depending on which ng+ version you're on. I'd have to agree with those saying some of the bosses aren't very well balanced for my current ng+++ run. Their health pools are too high relative to the amount of damage you can do, and on top of that they have multiple one hit kill moves.They're certainly doable, but just not as balanced as they could be which puts a damper on the fun.

I'm playing on New Game + at level 110ish and it has definitely stretched my definition of "fun" at times. Ludwig was a motherfucking nightmare (the charge and the drop were both one hit kills). And the big fish guys down in the well were also terrible - but that's partly just because of the tracking on their moves, they can spin on a dime even though they are supposedly big and clumsy. Maybe I'm just a little rusty but there have been a lot of moments where I just want things to be a LITTLE easier. I can deal with extreme difficulty but when every area is so totally stacked against you, it can become a little fatiguing.

Game4life

Banned
Finished the DLC this evening.

Ludwig, Lady Maria, and Orphan of Kos were amazing boss fights.

I would say this is about on par with Artorias of the Abyss, in my opinion. Really great piece of DLC.

Absolutely amazing stuff. The level design and atmosphere is through the roof. I could stare at every area for days and admire the talent From Software's artists have. Seriously gifted folks at their studio. I cannot wait for DS3 but Bloodborne 2 better be a thing.

zma1013

Something nobody has seemed to mention about this DLC but crows... there's lots of crows. Like Christopher Walken came in during development and said, "Guys... I gotta tell ya... needs more crowbirds"

Jin

Finally nailed all DLC trophies, and already have the Platinum for the base game.

My review of the DLC:

Fuck Ludwig.
Fuck Orphan.
Fuck Laurence. So fucking hard.

I honestly don't see myself playing the DLC ever again. The locations and amount of content was great, but the bosses (and those fuckheads with anchors in the hamlet) were solely included to piss people off. At least with souls you feel like you have a chance to play strategically. This was pure button mashing and praying.

Not impressed Miyazaki. DS3 better not be like this.

I beat all the bosses except Orphan and I agree. I love everything about the DLC except the bosses. I don't think I'll be returning here except to pick up a few items that doesn't require me to fight Ludwig again. It felt like a job to go through. The bosses (and the shark assholes) got too spammy, have too much health, and does way too much damage. This DLC looks like it was made for people who found vanilla BB too easy.

Wagram

I'm playing on New Game + at level 110ish and it has definitely stretched my definition of "fun" at times. Ludwig was a motherfucking nightmare (the charge and the drop were both one hit kills). And the big fish guys down in the well were also terrible - but that's partly just because of the tracking on their moves, they can spin on a dime even though they are supposedly big and clumsy. Maybe I'm just a little rusty but there have been a lot of moments where I just want things to be a LITTLE easier. I can deal with extreme difficulty but when every area is so totally stacked against you, it can become a little fatiguing.

That's the point - overcoming a great challenge. If they ease the challenge, then what do we have? 5 more easy boss fights that offer hardly any satisfaction. The summon system with npcs or humans was designed for those who want a relaxed experience.

I beat all the bosses except Orphan and I agree. I love everything about the DLC except the bosses. I don't think I'll be returning here except to pick up a few items that doesn't require me to fight Ludwig again. It felt like a job to go through. The bosses (and the shark assholes) got too spammy, have too much health, and does way too much damage. This DLC looks like it was made for people who found vanilla BB too easy.

I popped a lead elixir so the one wouldn't stagger me the shaman boned him when i got passed it seamed to help.

Edzi

That's the point - overcoming a great challenge. If they ease the challenge, then what do we have? 5 more easy boss fights that offer hardly any satisfaction. The summon system with npcs or humans was designed for those who want a relaxed experience.

Nah, there's a fair challenge and then there's an unfair challenge. The former is fun, while the latter isn't. Sadly, it seems that for higher ng+ levels this dlc leans towards the slightly unfair type of challenge.

I love this dlc, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had I not used my ng+++ character.

Wagram

Nah, there's a fair challenge and then there's an unfair challenge. The former is fun, while the latter isn't. Sadly, it seems that for higher ng+ levels this dlc leans towards the slightly unfair type of challenge.

Face rolling bosses isn't fun. None of these bosses are unfair in any way (well except maybe that pesky camera at times). These bosses force even the very best of players to adapt.

Zocano

I'd say Crown of the Sunken King is still the best separate piece of DLC though it's slightly hard to compare each Crown DLC to either AotA or Old Hunters because they're of different sizes. All together the Crown DLCs easily beat out AotA and Old Hunters, though. When you have the best fights in the series, it's hard to contest. AotA I'd say is the weakest of any of the separate DLCs, though.

Sunken King so goooooooood

Wookieomg

FINALLY! Finally killed Laurence, and with that, all the bosses of the DLC are vanquished. Phew. My review of the DLC, spoilered in case peeps don't wanna know about areas or bosses:

Disclaimer: I played on NG+3 solo the whole way.

The areas are really well-designed. Even though they cannibalized bits of the world from the main game for the first area, the alterations are superb. The Research Hall is creepy as all hell, and the Fishing Hamlet has this atmosphere that had me feeling very claustrophobic and paranoid.

Enemies? I enjoyed the first area's enemies the most. The hunters were really challenging, and the big Choir monstrosities were like minibosses in and of themselves. The Research Hall's patients were very wild and unpredictable, so they get a plus also. But I wasn't really a fan of the fish-people in the third area. Really bizarre and fucked up to be sure, but enemies like the fish-dogs felt uninspired, and the giant shark fuckers... Brutally unfair. Ugh.

The music was sublime, particularly the boss music. Ludwig's and Maria's themes were godtier. Especially Ludwig the Holy Blade. When that music hits, oh my god the epic scope of the battle is overwhelming. Very excellent stuff.

The weapons are so damn cool!! I plan on continuing the game using the new arsenal at my disposal.. Likely going to try to complete NG+3 with Amygdala's Arm and Church Pick. Really brings a lot of cool innovations to the table and makes weapon selection a LOT more variable, which was something I felt was desperately needed.

Boss-wise, I enjoyed Ludwig and Maria the most, with Orphan only a step behind. Living Failures was a great battle, but it didn't leave me feeling anything more than the usual respect to FromSoft and Miyazaki-san for excellent boss design. Laurence however... Ugh. I'll get to him later.

I spent over 100 deaths on Ludwig due to a) learning his attacks, b) stupid charge-attack zone glitching causing me to be 1hko, and c) perfecting dodges and attacking only at the most opportune moments. It was a grand battle though, especially when he goes into Holy Blade mode. Truly a fight for the ages and one of my favorite bosses of any Souls game.

Maria was PERFECT. I adored her character, her fluid, swift movements, her lethally precise and beautiful attack animations.. Just wow. The whole battle was like a well-choreographed dance. When she goes into phase 2 and phase 3, I went from impressed to awestruck. Just so much amazing design in her encounter. I didn't have much trouble with her; I ended up defeating her my 4th or 5th time. Felt like a well-balanced boss overall.

Orphan was hyper-aggressive, insanely quick, and had some of the most wildly powerful attacks of any boss in the Souls series thus far. I'm a fan of overcast, rainy skies so fighting out on the sea with the gray storm clouds overhead with the carcass of Kos nearby... SO FUCKING METAL. I'm going to dig into the lore after I settle down from my DLC high and try to understand things better but the fight with Orphan felt understandably intense, due to the amount of hatred and rage he was harboring, as his mother had just perished. So damn wicked.

Laurence can fuck off. I was disappointed with this boss the moment the battle started. From all the beautiful and unique boss designs this DLC presents, finishing it off (for me), was this piece of shit. I understand that lore-wise, he is the first Cleric Beast so there's going to be similarities but I mean for fuck sake it's using the exact same attack combos as the Cleric Beast you fight early on, only with minor alterations. Phase 2 is all new, and the lava pools plus its endless onslaught got my blood pressure up, but I came away feeling like this boss could have been something much grander and unique. For being the first Cleric Beast, the alpha, you'd think they'd want to give him a unique creature model.. Meh. Oh well. He's dead. And he gave me lots of grief, something like 30-40 deaths. Not many bs deaths though, most of it was my own error as a player and learning his patterns. The fire really fucked shit up. And his absurdly large health pool didn't make matters easier. :/

Overall I really enjoyed the DLC! Damn near flawless, and definitely on par with Artorias of the Abyss. Thanks for reading :)

Edzi

Face rolling bosses isn't fun. None of these bosses are unfair in any way (well except maybe that pesky camera at times). These bosses force even the very best of players to adapt.

You're right, but some of these bosses on ng+++ aren't about adapting unless your idea of adapting is consistently having perfect runs where you don't get hit once. Having numerous one hit kill attacks isn't my idea of a balanced challenge.

I'd say Crown of the Sunken King is still the best separate piece of DLC though it's slightly hard to compare each Crown DLC to either AotA or Old Hunters because they're of different sizes. All together the Crown DLCs easily beat out AotA and Old Hunters, though. When you have the best fights in the series, it's hard to contest. AotA I'd say is the weakest of any of the separate DLCs, though.

It was really the perfect difficulty, I loved it so much. I'll be honest I gave up on the 3rd DLC, it was just too ridiculously hard, to the point of being annoying. Basically an entire level of those
shark dicks
from the Old Hunters.

sn00zer

For the first time I feel like Im reliant on coop partners. The first and second boss battles are incredibly frustrating on your own, but with a coop partner they are a cinch (well not
Ludwig
, because his fight seems almost entirely dependent on your level).
Maria
seems like the first decent boss battle

Zocano

It was really the perfect difficulty, I loved it so much. I'll be honest I gave up on the 3rd DLC, it was just too ridiculously hard, to the point of being annoying. Basically an entire level of those
shark dicks
from the Old Hunters.

I have a soft spot for the Ivory King because 1) snow/ice 2) THAT BOSS FIGHT THO

I definitely agree it's the weakest in terms of level design but I love the aesthetic too much and it just hits all the right notes for me.
THAT BOSS FIGHT THO

CHC

Uhhh that's not even close to what I asked for, though. I just said that one boss was kinda frustrating and that having the regular areas routinely being extremely challenging was a bit tiring after a while. Dying in like 2 hits from those shitty bandaged patient enemies doesn't really create a great challenge, it's just a pain in the ass after a while. I enjoy challenging bosses and challenging areas, but I was just saying that on New Game + there are a few parts that I found more frustrating than challenging.

For the first time I feel like Im reliant on coop partners. The first and second boss battles are incredibly frustrating on your own, but with a coop partner they are a cinch (well not
Ludwig
, because his fight seems almost entirely dependent on your level).
Maria
seems like the first decent boss battle

Sorry, double post, but the second boss was kind of a cinch. She stuns so easily.

Cocaloch

Laurence is the first real roadblock I've ever hit with a souls game. I've spent 3 hours on him now. It's especially annoying since he's by far my least favorite of the 5 bosses. I much would have preferred the 3rd boss, whose design and moveset are the most interesting, to have been stuck on. Oh well, I saw the doc earlier and he proscribed me some "Git gud".

Wagram

I agree with this. Sunken King was the perfect mix of level design, music, and bosses. I am really high on high boss difficulty, and Sunken King doesn't disappoint here, but Iron King was better in that department. However, Sunken King felt like a DLC that was just the sum of all parts rather than an individual area. Definitely the best DLC FROM has put out imo.

My word, I can't believe how gorgeous this game is. This is the kind of thing I imagined when I was a kid how video games would be. So incredible.

I have a soft spot for the Ivory King because 1) snow/ice 2) THAT BOSS FIGHT THO

I definitely agree it's the weakest in terms of level design but I love the aesthetic too much and it just hits all the right notes for me.
THAT BOSS FIGHT THO

My weapons kept breaking and I never got to the boss. Ah well. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Voidwolf

Haven't been able to beat Ludwig. I think it might have been a mistake starting the DLC on my NG+++ character. But it's the only one that can access it currently without being waaay over-leveled. Other than this frustration I'm having a hell of a time with it so far.

Haven't been able to beat Ludwig. I think it might have been a mistake starting the DLC on my NG+++ character. But it's the only one that can access it currently without being waaay over-leveled. Other than this frustration I'm having a hell of a time with it so far.

"time for grind"

FINALLY! Finally killed Laurence, and with that, all the bosses of the DLC are vanquished. Phew. My review of the DLC, spoilered in case peeps don't wanna know about areas or bosses:
[...]

I mostly feel the same regarding this DLC.

It's really a shame that Laurence is partially recycled from the cleric beast, but honestly the difficulty make it looks like it's a totally different boss. Also I want to know, since I'm heading to NG+++, what attacks can 1 shot you ? The one thing that kill my with 1 hit was the "big cleave" (the one that's not followed by another cleave), also the charge in P2 killed me a couple of time (I'd get stuck in the boss).

And I wish they could add a feature where you can make enemies/bosses respawn without having to go in a NG. I soooo want to fight Maria again, she died on my 3rd try and I feel the need to fight her again :( And since the boss is kinda easy, there is almost no coop here...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Made good progress tonight. Funny enough, I'm out of town spending Thanksgiving with my family. So, after everyone went to bed about an hour and a half ago, I turned on some Blodoborne. I think I'm actually just about at the last boss. I just
defeated this hunter guy three times and unlocked a second "elevator" shortcut in the swamp.

Anyway, the whole swamp area has a really fantastic aesthetic, but it's definitely not one of my favorite places in the game. The enemy encounter isn't terribly thrilling - I feel like it's more a "quantity" area, where you're not really using your brain, you're just trying to kill as many mobs as possible before they overtake you.

THAT SAID, I'm still having a fantastic time. Lots of awesome gear and weapons in the DLC, and I feel we've gotten a great variety of environments and enemies. Overall, absolutely worth $20. Best compliment I can give The Old Hunters is that - if it had just shipped with the vanilla game, it would have fit right in.

I kind of wish it was called "The Hunter's Nightmare" rather than "The Old Hunters" though. Sure, the latter is more lore-based; but it doesn't sound as cool ;p

Anyway, comment about one of the recurring fights in the swamp:
That hunter that reoccurs several times throughout... was the easiest "tough encounter" in the entire DLC, don't you think? I mean, I'm higher level than I should be, but I got fucked by Ludwig and Laurence and the sharks in the well. some of the hunters tricked me up pretty good for a few gos. But this guy felt pretty weak for being so late in the game. I got him in one try each time... after getting FUCKED in the well like 50 times just prior, lol.

Top Bottom