• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

How long is DLC for someone who has end-game cleared data file?

Should not be too hard if you're not in NG+. But it depends if you want to explore and get all items. I'd say it can be rush in 5 hours or so if you don't know the bosses, less if you're good. But I've spent something like 20 hours in it (NG++, all weapons/armor, coop), and I feel like I'm still not done with it, I'd like to play some more coop because all boss fight are too good in this DLC :p

I don't understand people who are having issues with the large shark enemies with hooks. Most of their attack's can be parried easily and the flailing move it does can be dodged by rolling inwards to the side and the rest of his flails will miss. Heck even that flailing move can be parried. I got Rakuyo on my 2nd or 3rd attempt.

All round I think the bosses and enemies are well balanced and provided a lot of variety.

Playing this dlc pushes bloodborne ahead of dark souls for me before I used to have them on equal levels but this dlc just adds so much.

Ngl tho camera can be a bitch.

Hypron

I'm 182, I thought I was high enough. I'll look up where I should be at, I don't want to make it too easy on myself.

182 should be more than enough I reckon. You need high vitality, decent stamina and a high damage output (so a decently high value in one or two other stats).

I'm 182, I thought I was high enough. I'll look up where I should be at, I don't want to make it too easy on myself.

On NG+++ I don't think you can make it to easy on yourself lol. Stats get soft and hard capped at certain points. Anything over 50 hardly adds anything per level, except endurance which hard caps at 40.

You will also get about 1? physical res. Per level to.

oh man, is the church pick as awesome as it seems? I just picked it up and I might use it to replace the threaded cane until i get Rakuyo

I can confirm that the Church Pick is every bit as awesome as it seems. So is the Rakuyo. I still can't decide which one I like more.

Playing this dlc pushes bloodborne ahead of dark souls for me before I used to have them on equal levels but this dlc just adds so much.

Bloodborne used to be my third favorite Souls game, but I'm beginning to feel this way too. Vanilla Bloodborne was lacking in a variety of ways, but I think this DLC really completes it - stands to reason, when you consider that Bloodborne was the shortest game in the series and The Old Hunters is by some measure the longest piece of DLC. I'm hesitant to say I like the game more than Dark 1, but at this point that's pretty much just the nostalgia talking.

konjak

These two
whale enemies
are like a horrible joke. I can't even get started whatsoever fighting one of them before I'm dead, because my biggest weakness is anything with a slow anticipation. Can I parry them? If not, I have no idea why I'd want to suffer them for one item.

MilkBeard

I honestly don't see myself playing the DLC ever again. The locations and amount of content was great, but the bosses (and those fuckheads with anchors in the hamlet) were solely included to piss people off. At least with souls you feel like you have a chance to play strategically. This was pure button mashing and praying.

Not impressed Miyazaki. DS3 better not be like this.

I have to say, there is a lot of complaining going on. Each boss has a specific strategy you need to use to win. It's pretty simple. The only thing is that instead of having one Ornstein and Smough, this DLC has several bosses on that level of toughness. If you study them enough, they all have a specific moment of weakness. Same with the Fish Giants. Each of their attacks you can dodge, it's just know when to be able to utilize the invincibility frames. Same as any tough Souls enemy.

I'm actually convinced that Bloodborne has made people soft in a lot of ways. Just my observation.

EDIT: See below post:

I don't understand people who are having issues with the large shark enemies with hooks. Most of their attack's can be parried easily and the flailing move it does can be dodged by rolling inwards to the side and the rest of his flails will miss. Heck even that flailing move can be parried. I got Rakuyo on my 2nd or 3rd attempt.

All round I think the bosses and enemies are well balanced and provided a lot of variety.

Ngl tho camera can be a botch.

And to add, if you get behind the sharks, they are slow and you can stun them with several hits. The key is to not stand in front of them whatsoever.They are designed to be able to hit you even if you dodge backwards. However, if you stick to the side/back, they will likely miss, and then you can get two hits on them easily. Rinse and repeat.

These two
whale enemies
are like a horrible joke. I can't even get started whatsoever fighting one of them before I'm dead, because my biggest weakness is anything with a slow anticipation. Can I parry them? If not, I have no idea why I'd want to suffer them for one item.

Shaman Bone Blade.

myco666

These two
whale enemies

You can parry them and backstab them. The delayed attacks are really hard to learn since they are so delayed that you dodge too early everytime.

HORRORSHØW

oh man, is the church pick as awesome as it seems? I just picked it up and I might use it to replace the threaded cane until i get Rakuyo

i like it better than the rakuyo so far. it's gotten me through the first three dlc bosses in one try with it on ng+++.

gonna level up the rakuyo to +10 and stick some gems in it and see how it compares

konjak

Imru’ al-Qays;187048649 said:
Shaman Bone Blade.

"I can't get past one of them" implied I don't get to the part I assume it jumps down :)

I have the bone blade ready, since I already knew

TP-DK

These two
whale enemies

Keep a distance to them, their charging attack is easy to parry.

myco666

Grimløck;187048685 said:
i like it better than the rakuyo so far. it's gotten me through the first three dlc bosses in one try with it on ng+++.

gonna level up the rakuyo to +10 and stick some gems in it and see how it compares

Church Pick is fantastic weapon and now I am regretting upgrading Rakuyo to +9 since I much prefer the Pick over it.

MilkBeard

Church Pick is fantastic weapon and now I am regretting upgrading Rakuyo to +9 since I much prefer the Pick over it.

I decided to upgrade the Rakuyo and the Saif, next playthrough I will try some other weapons like the Church Pick. It looks cool.

So for my weapons currently I have the HMS at +10, the LHB at +9, the Rakuyo, Boom Hammer and Saif at +8. All this is doable within the main and DLC games without going into NG+ (I still haven't gotten the Blood Rock from the main game yet, for example). They give you enough to be able to bring up several weapons to usability so you aren't too limited. Fishing Hamlet has a billion Chunks hiding in it, I swear.

The HMS wrecks everything right now. It's a beast at +10.

sappyday

Ah the good ol frustration. I haven't felt that in a while.

Just started the DLC. The big enemy at the beginning was kicking my ass. Then that short hunter afterwards kicked my ass when I had it down to basically 1 HP. Turned the game off there. Will come back to it later when I feel fresh and ready to go. Just wanted to see how it is.

myco666

Grimløck;187048886 said:
okay. this tells me it's not worth it to upgrade the rakuyo then. hm..maybe i'll upgrade the saif instead.

Well test the moveset. It is not bad weapon by any means but I just prefer the Pick moveset over its.

edit.
I decided to upgrade the Rakuyo and the Saif, next playthrough I will try some other weapons like the Church Pick. It looks cool.

So for my weapons currently I have the HMS at +10, the LHB at +9, the Rakuyo, Boom Hammer and Saif at +8. All this is doable within the main and DLC games without going into NG+ (I still haven't gotten the Blood Rock from the main game yet, for example). They give you enough to be able to bring up several weapons to usability so you aren't too limited. Fishing Hamlet has a billion Chunks hiding in it, I swear.

The HMS wrecks everything right now. It's a beast at +10.

Almost all DLC weapons are something I like a lot. Only ones that I don't really care are Simon's Bowblade and
Kos Parasite
. Have to do bunch new characters now.

konjak

Alright, I overstated the difficulty of them. With parries it was fine, hah. Thanks for tips.

EDIT: Is this new weapon basically just
Blade of Mercy but half the attacks have longer reach? Kinda disappointing if so since I have +10 Mercies, like the Saif being a reverse cleaver.

Mutombo

shit guys, I've finally found the Beast Claw, only to find out it's more of a STR than a SKILL weapon...

I've got 8 str at level 105.

I've already invested 50 points in VIT and SKILL, 35 in endurance, so the only way to go is sort of go arcane/bloodtinge or str anyway...

Plus, scaling is so bad for the beast claw that it hardly matters anyway.

Grimløck;187048886 said:
okay. this tells me it's not worth it to upgrade the rakuyo then. hm..maybe i'll upgrade the saif instead.

Saif is my least favorite of the three skill weapons. Big form is just too slow, and the damage isn't that much higher than the Church Pick.

Grimløck;187049021 said:
yeah, i didn't like it too much but i thought maybe the superior scaling would make it worthwhile

Saif's skill scaling is only slightly better than the Pick's, and it has worse strength scaling, so it's pretty much a wash.

Tingle

I have to say, my favorite weapon in the DLC is definitely the
Kos Parasite.

Running around
as an alien
doesn't get old. Its attacks feel too slow, and it doesn't feel strong enough to me, but that won't stop me at all. I've been helping people online and using it in invasions with good results.

konjak

shit guys, I've finally found the Beast Claw, only to find out it's more of a STR than a SKILL weapon...

I've got 8 str at level 105.

I've already invested 50 points in VIT and SKILL, 35 in endurance, so the only way to go is sort of go arcane/bloodtinge or str anyway...

Plus, scaling is so bad for the beast claw that it hardly matters anyway.

My build was similar to yours for the first DLC run so I couldn't use most weapons I found there at all, hah. Pretty silly.

Wookieomg

I mostly feel the same regarding this DLC.

It's really a shame that Laurence is partially recycled from the cleric beast, but honestly the difficulty make it looks like it's a totally different boss. Also I want to know, since I'm heading to NG+++, what attacks can 1 shot you ? The one thing that kill my with 1 hit was the "big cleave" (the one that's not followed by another cleave), also the charge in P2 killed me a couple of time (I'd get stuck in the boss).

And I wish they could add a feature where you can make enemies/bosses respawn without having to go in a NG. I soooo want to fight Maria again, she died on my 3rd try and I feel the need to fight her again :( And since the boss is kinda easy, there is almost no coop here...

I'll continue to keep this with spoiler tags so as not to spoil people about bits of the DLC they may not know or want to know.
I agree with you really. My initial reaction to the boss was "Cleric Beast 2.0, really FromSoft? Jeez..." But then I died to it like 40 times or some shit and yeah, it does have some unique attacks and phases so it sort of redeems it but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after experiencing the other bosses, most of which are godtier.

Which boss are you asking about? For reference, I had 40 Vit the whole time, and I'm sitting around level 187 or so. I booted up Bloodborne Monday night and realized I was at the beginning of NG+++, so I hauled ass through Cleric Beast, Gascoigne, and Amelia, then went straight to DLC so I'm a bit underleveled for the NG level I think. I'll list some things that one-shotted me with >80% health (Just a bit of variance from having full health cause I wasn't always aware of my health pool when instantly dying lol. I just knew I was very high and wasn't concerned about having to use a vial.)

Ludwig's charge attack
Ludwig jumping and falling on top of me

One of Maria's phase 2/3 power attacks.. Can't remember which, but it happened once to my surprise. (Otherwise her attacks were doing like 40-60% damage per hit, which was already pretty brutal.)

I don't remember any of the Living Failures attacks 1-shotting me.

Orphan's phase 1 leaping slice attack sometimes 1-shotted me from ~80% health or more.

Laurence had a few. His opening atttack, that fist slam on the ground that explodes? That 1-shots if it hits you, even before the explosion. If he jumps and lands on you, that 1-shots you. I'm fairly certain if he grabs you, it does enough to kill you even at full health.

Hope that helps! It's very difficult but sooo rewarding once you defeat them. :D Oh and I totally agree with you, I wish there was a boss rush mode or a boss select mode like customizing chalice layer bosses or something. That would be AMAZING. :O

Edzi

It's gotten to the point where
Laurence
and OoK are making me consider dropping NG+++ and starting over. It's no fun slowly whittling down massive healthbars only get die after screwing up a dodge to a OHK attack.

I have to say, there is a lot of complaining going on. Each boss has a specific strategy you need to use to win. It's pretty simple. The only thing is that instead of having one Ornstein and Smough, this DLC has several bosses on that level of toughness. If you study them enough, they all have a specific moment of weakness. Same with the Fish Giants. Each of their attacks you can dodge, it's just know when to be able to utilize the invincibility frames. Same as any tough Souls enemy.

I'm actually convinced that Bloodborne has made people soft in a lot of ways. Just my observation.

Eh? So since people don't like bosses having multiple one hit kill moves + huge health pools, that means they've gone soft? You do realize that a lot of the complaints are coming from people who are playing on harder than normal difficulties, right? I think it's been established that it's fine on NG, but I genuinely feel like the balance on NG+++ is all over the place.

I get that some people like having bosses that have OHK moves that you have to memorize, but Souls has never really been about that.

myco666

I have to say, my favorite weapon in the DLC is definitely the
Kos Parasite.

Running around
as an alien
doesn't get old. Its attacks feel too slow, and it doesn't feel strong enough to me, but that won't stop me at all. I've been helping people online and using it in invasions with good results.

What kind of setup you have for it? The slowness is putting me off and I don't have enough Arcane gems for it but if it is actually decent with some setups I might go for it.

edit.
Eh? So since people don't like bosses having multiple one hit kill moves + huge health pools, that means they've gone soft? You do realize that a lot of the complaints are coming from people who are playing on harder than normal difficulties, right? I think it's been established that it's fine on NG, but I genuinely feel like the balance on NG+++ is all over the place.

I get that some people like having bosses that have OHK moves that you have to memorize, but Souls has never really been about that.

Okay I have hard time believing that bosses have OHK moves on NG+++ when I can survive from getting hit from first DLC boss charge attack and jump attack on NG++.

Tingle

Yeah, I agree with you.
Laurence
reminded me of the "challenge areas" in the Dark Souls 2 DLCs. Those were pretty blatantly poorly designed to encourage co-op, and are actually the low point of the Souls series to me. Anything which even remotely reminds me of them is very, very bad :p

The person who you responded to even mentioned Orstein and Smough- but I feel as if he missed what made them an excellent fight- and it certainly had nothing to do with a large HP pool and certainly nothing to do with one hit kills. Fights are better without those, in Souls games or otherwise.

Tingle

What kind of setup you have for it? The slowness is putting me off and I don't have enough Arcane gems for it but if it is actually decent with some setups I might go for it.

Basically I just gemmed in Arcane % ups. The game will tell you you have a lower damage value than Arcane Attack+'s, but make sure you ignore that. You can even test it out, its one hundred percent wrong.

Other than that, 50 arcane is a must. The scaling virtually stops afterwards, except maybe for the L2 explosion attack.

Yeah, I agree with you.
Laurence
reminded me of the "challenge areas" in the Dark Souls 2 DLCs. Those were pretty blatantly poorly designed to encourage co-op, and are actually the low point of the Souls series to me. Anything which even remotely reminds me of them is very, very bad :p

The person who you responded to even mentioned Orstein and Smough- but I feel as if he missed what made them an excellent fight- and it certainly had nothing to do with a large HP pool and certainly nothing to do with one hit kills. Fights are better without those, in Souls games or otherwise.

Don't know what all the fuss about
Laurence
is. On NG he's a perfectly fair fight, and if he has one-hit KOs I didn't experience them - not even the hardest boss in Bloodborne (defiled Watchdog and Amygdala are far worse), to say nothing of the series.

EDIT: See below post:

And to add, if you get behind the sharks, they are slow and you can stun them with several hits. The key is to not stand in front of them whatsoever.They are designed to be able to hit you even if you dodge backwards. However, if you stick to the side/back, they will likely miss, and then you can get two hits on them easily. Rinse and repeat.

In all honesty the only thing I feel feels off about 3 of the bosses in this game is how much health / armour 3 of them have. Their move sets are more challenging to learn but that's good, that's actual difficult. But making the take twice as long to kill as anything in the main game is artificial difficulty. A thing I hate. Like halving your health in the defiled dungeon. It's a lame way to create a challenge.

After getting all trophies I took my NG alt to finish gehrman and killed him in about the same time it took to get
Ludwig
out of phase 1. And the first area is recommended lvl 65.

If you like a game being difficult via larger health pools and bigger damage output then the game has NG+ for that. If you want an easier time it has summoning.

I don't believe anyone can look at those three bosses and say they fit in naturally with the rest if the game.

I actually think all bosses accept the optional one are really awesome fights. But when it takes as long as killing any other boss just to try and learn
ludwigs
phase 2 it feels a tad out if place. It's basically 2 bosses back to back without a save point in between.

The videos where they take alot less time to kill are clearly over powered chars built up moths ago when they first played the game.

So yeah, those bosses move set are fine, just the health / armour is totally out of place.

For reference I started dark souls 2 last week and the first 4 bosses in that make cleric beast look insane hard by comparison.

Edzi

edit.

Okay I have hard time believing that bosses have OHK moves on NG+++ when I can survive from getting hit from first DLC boss charge attack and jump attack on NG++.

I have 50 points in Vit, and I get routinely killed by single hits from bosses and enemies alike. L
udwig
's rush, jump attack, and the wide swipe would all kill me. OoK has a couple at least, as does L
aurence
. The giant shark enemies also have certain moves that can kill.

Mutombo

In co-op I've successfully beaten Ludwig a couple of times now, on NG. When I help others on NG+ we hardly make it to the second phase.

1upsuper

Laurence is the first real roadblock I've ever hit with a souls game. I've spent 3 hours on him now. It's especially annoying since he's by far my least favorite of the 5 bosses. I much would have preferred the 3rd boss, whose design and moveset are the most interesting, to have been stuck on. Oh well, I saw the doc earlier and he proscribed me some "Git gud".

This for me too. Except replace there hours with like, six, haha. This is the most I've struggled in BB for sure. I actually feel like I'm getting worse at the game.

Derpot

When I saw L
aurence, I was like "Oh it's just a Cleric Beast on fire. Cleric Beast is, like, the weakest boss in Bloodborne. It's not gonna be that hard, right."
WELL, I had a very bad time after that. It's as if the game was mocking me.

I maxed my Evelyn, Rakuyo and Simon's Bow Blade, and I have 2 Blood Rocks left.
I'm still thinking about maxing the Saif and the Church Pick.
Also have a Chikage, but since I don't use the "Blood mode" very often (even if I know, it's reeeeaaaally powerful, I don't like the fact that it drains HP), I was thinking about using Rakuyo as a replacement.

It is tough to make a choice. The new weapons are so cool !

Tingle

Imru’ al-Qays;187049576 said:
Don't know what all the fuss about
Laurence
is. On NG he's a perfectly fair fight, and if he has one-hit KOs I didn't experience them - not even the hardest boss in Bloodborne (defiled Watchdog and Amygdala are far worse), to say nothing of the series.

I was very over leveled for the DLC, so perhaps my impressions were wrong. All I really know is that he did a huge percent of my health (which is 1900) while I was only on NG+. He didn't actually one-hit me though, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I was over leveled.

myco666

In all honesty the only thing I feel feels off about 3 of the bosses in this game is how much health / armour 3 of them have. Their move sets are more challenging to learn but that's good, that's actual difficult. But making the take twice as long to kill as anything in the main game is artificial difficulty. A thing I hate. Like halving your health in the defiled dungeon. It's a lame way to create a challenge.

After getting all trophies I took my NG alt to finish gehrman and killed him in about the same time it took to get
Ludwig

If you like a game being difficult via larger health pools and bigger damage output then the game has NG+ for that. If you want an easier time it has summoning.

I don't believe anyone can look at those three bosses and say they fit in naturally with the rest if the game.

I actually think all bosses accept the optional one are really awesome fights. But when it takes as long as killing any other boss just to try and learn
ludwigs
phase 2 it feels a tad out if place. It's basically 2 bosses back to back without a save point in between.

The videos where they take alot less time to kill are clearly over powered chars built up moths ago when they first played the game.

So yeah, those bosses move set are fine, just the health / armour is totally out of place.

For reference I started dark souls 2 last week and the first 4 bosses in that make cleric beast look insane hard by comparison.

I agree that the boss healths are way too high. Saying that lvl65 is recommended for the DLC when first boss has 2000HP more than
Gehrman
is really weird and for that boss recommended level is 75. Otherwise I thought the DLC bosses were fine with challenging moves etc.

I have 50 Vit, and I get routinely killed by single hits from bosses and enemies alike. Ludwig's rush, jump attack, and the wide swipe would all kill me. OoK has a couple at least, as does Laurence. The giant shark enemies also have certain moves that can kill.

Do you press dodge or attack when you get hit? If yes then you get hit with a damage bonus and it actually wouldn't be OHK. I buffed my weapon with fire paper and got hit with the charge attack at the same time and lost little bit over half of my health on NG++ with 50Vit.

Personally I don't believe they have large health pools in fact 4/5of the bosses I think have perfect amount of health. The only one I feel needs more health is M
aria
. I never once felt like shit I'm not doing damage. I still haven't beaten L
aurence
tho. Fighting him really freaks me out.

myco666

Personally I don't believe they have large health pools in fact 4/5of the bosses I think have perfect amount of health. The only one I feel needs more health is M
aria
aurence

Well you were probably overleveled when compared to the recommended levels. I thought the HP was fine but I played with characters that are 20 levels over the recommended level. I would like them to be lower mostly because I want to do them as early as possible so that I could get new weapons really early but I highly doubt I will beat the first boss at 30 with +3 weapon.

Tingle

aria
aurence

I feel like M
aria's
issue isn't health- its that she flinches if you so much as look at her direction. She needs at least a small amount of poise, or some hyper armor on her attacks.

MilkBeard

Not really, the complaints that I'm hearing are from people who are going into a fight and not analyzing and trying to find the weaknesses. For example, the giant sharks. They have a normal health pool and have big weaknesses, they just seem really crazy and OP at first.
I can't comment on NG +, as I'm only on NG. I'll find out when I make my second playthrough. But I should be fine. I started the DLC at around 70-ish, and now I've leveled to 100 already.

Edzi

Do you press dodge or attack when you get hit? If yes then you get hit with a damage bonus and it actually wouldn't be OHK. I buffed my weapon with fire paper and got hit with the charge attack at the same time and lost little bit over half of my health on NG++ with 50Vit.

Honestly, I'd still consider those OHKs since if you're getting hit chances are you were trying to dodge. But even without the extra damage from failed dodges, certain attacks from bosses/enemies will still kill me if hit head on.

MilkBeard

Ludwig

ludwigs

Yeah, one thing I agree specifically is that
Ludwig
has a ton of health, and his difficulty is higher than later bosses after him. The balance is a bit off in that aspect. But even he goes down if you stand under his hind legs an swing away. I've cooped with a group of people who take him down in like 2-3 minutes because they know exactly what to do.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Alright went through the DLC 4 times on 4 different builds to try weapons. Whirl Saw, Church Pick, Parasite and lastly Bloodletter.

Bloodletter was the most bland for me, but I loved the others. Parasite and Church Pick are probably my favourite weapons in the game now.

Tingle

Yeah, one thing I agree specifically is that
Ludwig
has a ton of health, and his difficulty is higher than later bosses after him. The balance is a bit off in that aspect. But even he goes down if you stand under his hind legs an swing away. I've cooped with a group of people who take him down in like 2-3 minutes because they know exactly what to do.

I feel like FromSoft knew
Ludwig
was a bit harder than he should have been. They probably wanted the first boss to come in with a bang.

Top Bottom