• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Dynedom

At level 62 or so on my fresh run so might be okay to hit the DLC now. I think I've got 25 into Vit and Dex too. Been saving all my upgrade materials for the new weapons.

Expecting to die often.

MilkBeard

I feel like FromSoft knew
Ludwig
was a bit harder than he should have been. They probably wanted the first boss to come in with a bang.

Yeah, it seems like he was the one they gave the most character and attention. It makes sense. Progression-wise, though, it's a little strange.

Well you were probably overleveled when compared to the recommended levels. I thought the HP was fine but I played with characters that are 20 levels over the recommended level. I would like them to be lower mostly because I want to do them as early as possible so that I could get new weapons really early but I highly doubt I will beat the first boss at 30 with +3 weapon.

That might be it I still found the bosses challenging.
How overlevelled was I?
Started the dlc (NG+) somewhere between BL130-134 right now on BL 143 with L
aurence
left

Tingle

Yeah, it seems like he was the one they gave the most character and attention. It makes sense. Progression-wise, though, it's a little strange.

Yeah, its also kinda odd because the levels themselves are also much easier than the starting area would lead you to believe. It takes a lot of work to even open up the first shortcut, but after that the levels are smooth sailing for the most part.

myco666

Honestly, I'd still consider those OHKs since if you're getting hit chances are you were trying to dodge. But even without the extra damage from failed dodges, certain attacks from bosses/enemies will still kill me if hit head on.

Need to try NG+++ to see what kills in one hit. Even the optional boss doesn't kill me with anything in one hit on NG++.

That might be it I still found the bosses challenging.
How overlevelled was I?
Started the dlc (NG+) somewhere between BL130-134 right now on BL 143 with L
aurence
left

That isn't supposed to be that much overleveled. I think it was 120 for NG+. I think the health is fine for NG+ since you already have best gems and +10 weapons etc. It is the NG where the health is stupidly high.

I'll continue to keep this with spoiler tags so as not to spoil people about bits of the DLC they may not know or want to know.
I agree with you really. My initial reaction to the boss was "Cleric Beast 2.0, really FromSoft? Jeez..." But then I died to it like 40 times or some shit and yeah, it does have some unique attacks and phases so it sort of redeems it but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after experiencing the other bosses, most of which are godtier.

Which boss are you asking about? For reference, I had 40 Vit the whole time, and I'm sitting around level 187 or so. I booted up Bloodborne Monday night and realized I was at the beginning of NG+++, so I hauled ass through Cleric Beast, Gascoigne, and Amelia, then went straight to DLC so I'm a bit underleveled for the NG level I think. I'll list some things that one-shotted me with >80% health (Just a bit of variance from having full health cause I wasn't always aware of my health pool when instantly dying lol. I just knew I was very high and wasn't concerned about having to use a vial.)

Ludwig's charge attack
Ludwig jumping and falling on top of me

One of Maria's phase 2/3 power attacks.. Can't remember which, but it happened once to my surprise. (Otherwise her attacks were doing like 40-60% damage per hit, which was already pretty brutal.)

I don't remember any of the Living Failures attacks 1-shotting me.

Orphan's phase 1 leaping slice attack sometimes 1-shotted me from ~80% health or more.

Laurence had a few. His opening atttack, that fist slam on the ground that explodes? That 1-shots if it hits you, even before the explosion. If he jumps and lands on you, that 1-shots you. I'm fairly certain if he grabs you, it does enough to kill you even at full health.

Hope that helps! It's very difficult but sooo rewarding once you defeat them. :D Oh and I totally agree with you, I wish there was a boss rush mode or a boss select mode like customizing chalice layer bosses or something. That would be AMAZING. :O

Alright, it's almost like that in NG++. Except that Ludwig's charge attack leaves me at ~5% life if I'm full life.
I was talking about Laurence, and I think I'll have to resort to coop for NG+++ and beyond lol But after helping a few players for this boss, using Rakuyo in P1 and Bowblade in P2, I feel like I have more chances to beat him alone in my next playthrough. We'll see :p
Anyway, thanks for the post. I'll take a short Dark Souls 2 break then get back to it!

That isn't supposed to be that much overleveled. I think it was 120 for NG+. I think the health is fine for NG+ since you already have best gems and +10 weapons etc. It is the NG where the health is stupidly high.

That makes sense, I'll try the dlc with my second character on ng and see the difference.

Edzi

I'm gonna give OoK another go. I've got his first form down, but any tips for his second? I don't really know how to approach, and I die almost immediately.

Derpot

Did some of you guys try the Piercing Rifle? What's your opinion about it?
I don't think it could be more useful than the Evelyn.

Wookieomg

Need to try NG+++ to see what kills in one hit. Even the optional boss doesn't kill me with anything in one hit on NG++.

As I was mentioning to Phoenix944 in our spoilered conversation, I died to 1hko's to multiple bosses. NG+++ is no joke. I'm sitting around 40 vit, around level 187. For reference, these are what one-shotted me:

"
Ludwig's charge attack

One of Maria's phase 2/3 power attacks.. Can't remember which, but it happened once to my surprise. (Otherwise her attacks were doing like 40-60% damage per hit, which was already pretty brutal.)

Orphan's phase 1 leaping slice attack sometimes 1-shotted me from ~80% health or more.

Laurence had a few. His opening atttack, that fist slam on the ground that explodes? That 1-shots if it hits you, even before the explosion. If he jumps and lands on you, that 1-shots you. I'm fairly certain if he grabs you, it does enough to kill you even at full health.
"

It's pretty unforgiving. I'm curious how much it changes on NG+4 when I eventually make it there.

myco666

Did some of you guys try the Piercing Rifle? What's your opinion about it?
I don't think it could be more useful than the Evelyn.

Damage seems to be lower but I remember it does stagger like Blunderbuss making it better if you want the stagger and higher damage.

Has anyone figured out the best place to farm blood echoes in the DLC? I'm short on Vials/Bullets.

Echoes you gain in the DLC is really low. Just equip 3 moon runes and go nuts on Mergos Loft Middle. 70k+ on NG 200k on NG++.

edit.
As I was mentioning to Phoenix944 in our spoilered conversation, I died to 1hko's to multiple bosses. NG+++ is no joke. I'm sitting around 40 vit, around level 187. For reference, these are what one-shotted me:

"
Ludwig's charge attack

"

It's pretty unforgiving. I'm curious how much it changes on NG+4 when I eventually make it there.

Need to see it myself to believe it since as I said on NG++ I didn't get OHK at any time with 50Vit.

First boss charge attack
First boss jump attack

Derpot

Damage seems to be lower but I remember it does stagger like Blunderbuss making it better if you want the stagger and higher damage.

I saw that Piercing Rifle does more damage but the scaling is weaker. Problem with Piercing Rifle is that it's not good for counter attack.
Maybe I should upgrade it a little and try it more on some enemies to forge a proper opinion.

MilkBeard

If you are really overleveled, try co oping for other people and see if you get pulled into the next NG level up. If I go back to the main game I get pulled into a higher NG level for sure. Then you can test to see what the difficulty is like.

Derpot

If you are really overleveled, try co oping for other people and see if you get pulled into the next NG level up. If I go back to the main game I get pulled into a higher NG level for sure. Then you can test to see what the difficulty is like.

Yep, that's I'm doing at the moment. The problem is very often when I coop against Ludwig I die for bullshit like this:

dl_pCE.gif

Lingitiz

Just beat the final (mandatory) boss.

Overall this DLC delivered a much needed kick in the ass that the second half of BB really lacked outside of a few optional bosses, as well as some weapons I'm looking forward to messing with in the future. As an endgame section it reminded me how scary and tense the early hours were, and how good it feels to triumph over a boss after dying over and over. Souls games like having that first half struggle, followed by somewhat of a victory lap in the back end. Having a DLC round that difficulty curve out and ramp the challenge back up is really nice.

It just really cemented in my mind how damn good of a game Bloodborne is. It may have some stripped down aspects in comparison to the Souls games, for better or worse, but man if it isn't sublime in level and encounter design. Fantastic DLC for a fantastic game.

Well fuck, I was in the middle of fighting the gatling hunter, and he got stuck in some geometry and glitched out of the map! I guess he eventually died, because I got his gun a short time later. Sort of anti-climactic though. I'm curious, is he tough?

So far the beast hunter and those executioners are kicking my ass. I can't imagine what lies ahead....

Facism

Loved Maria and kos. From is at their best when they do human sized bosses. Intense fights that kept you engaged and strategizing.

Not like giant, cheapo lock-on combo shyte Laurence. What a chode of a boss on ng+

IKizzLE

Fought
orphan of kos
and on my second try got him down to a sliver of health. Lost because I used up all 20 vials. Not as hard as Ludwig but he hits hard so your gonna run out of vials quick.

Ringing bell right now!

MilkBeard

Well fuck, I was in the middle of fighting the gatling hunter, and he got stuck in some geometry and glitched out of the map! I guess he eventually died, because I got his gun a short time later. Sort of anti-climactic though. I'm curious, is he tough?

So far the beast hunter and those executioners are kicking my ass. I can't imagine what lies ahead....

He's pretty tough, yeah. I eventually tried different weapons and found the LHB small form was best, and I just stunlocked him until I ran out of stamina, then backed off, then repeat. Also parrying with gunshots helps. He heals himself which pissed me off a number of times.

idonteven

so uhm... im doing the dlc on a new build and now after l
udwig
and the 2 hunters i cant get the lift to work ? what did i miss that i did right the first time ?

MilkBeard

udwig
and the 2 hunters i cant get the lift to work ? what did i miss that i did right the first time ?

There's a place you forgot to explore, it is rather large and has a menacing fatty in front of it.

I cooperated in a fight against the
Failed Experiments,
I knew I was over leveled for most of the DLC in NG but tried there because it seemed like the easiest boss that people would be flocking around and I wanted a Vermin. Am sure I got summoned into either NG++ or above, there were 3 of us and the boss had a lot of health, a lot more than I expected as I hacked away and I have to admit, I kind of went in haphazardly and died prematurely in some of the summons I had prior to that one.

Man I killed one but the second one whooped my ass lol

Wait until you get the 2nd one to jump down, use the shaman blade and watch them Duke it out like

giphy.gif

Then finish off the last one

udwig
Did you go to the grand cathedral where
Laurence
is and get what was on his hand?

He's pretty tough, yeah. I eventually tried different weapons and found the LHB small form was best, and I just stunlocked him until I ran out of stamina, then backed off, then repeat. Also parrying with gunshots helps. He heals himself which pissed me off a number of times.
Damn, sounds challenging. And yeah, I've found the LHB small form to be best for most hunters to counter their speed and aggression. Do you know if he respawns?

pronk420

Does anyone know how to fix the 'game data still installing can't load save' error? I tried deleting and reinstalling it and waiting for the patch to download before booting it, but it still does it. Also tried starting new game and getting to the first bonfire.

Is it actually installing in the background or something or is it a bug?

cheesekao

Does anyone know how to fix the 'game data still installing can't load save' error? I tried deleting and reinstalling it and waiting for the patch to download before booting it, but it still does it. Also tried starting new game and getting to the first bonfire.

Is it actually installing in the background or something or is it a bug?
Based on other people's experience,it is likely to be the former.

Started the expansion yesterday on NG+.
NG+ completely mopped up before starting the expansion.

lvl 186 platinum hunter. :D

It's gorgeous. Clever way of asset reuse (basically, the nightmare is a mashup of various locations from original game).

I'm a bit overpowered, I think, but I found some good challenge along the way.

So far managed to kill
Ludwig
. Now I'm fighting that
black/white duo.

Haven't upgraded any new weapons yet? Any recommendations?
Currently rocking my Tonitrus +10, Threaded Cane +10, Blades of Mercy +10 and Burial Blade +10.

Yopis

So what level on ng+ difficulty is recommended for this? Finished the main game not long after launch. Never went back for ng+ run. Sitting at lvl 84 I think.

Jesus,
OoK's second form
feels absolutely impossible. People say to hug him close but he's flailing and jumping all over the place and I can get any bearings on him. Seems to have insane tracking in the air as well, or at least I haven't figured out how to not get completely annihilated by it. Any particular strategies I need to know? NG+4 lvl 183 and I can't find a single one to summon even though that was never a problem prior to this part. At least I figured out how to get him to 2nd phase without losing too many vials... But damn, this is testing my patience and my vial stock

Reyben

Jesus,
OoK's second form
feels absolutely impossible. People say to hug him close but he's flailing and jumping all over the place and I can get any bearings on him. Seems to have insane tracking in the air as well, or at least I haven't figured out how to not get completely annihilated by it. Any particular strategies I need to know? NG+4 lvl 183 and I can't find a single one to summon even though that was never a problem prior to this part. At least I figured out how to get him to 2nd phase without losing too many vials... But damn, this is testing my patience and my vial stock

I was in the same situation yesterday, except i'm in ng+5 so it's even more bullshit...
During phase 1 i guess you just wait for him to jump over you and backstab him with R2, right?
In phase 2 i managed to riposte him several times but everytime i walked up to him the game wouldn't let me use a visceral attack for some reason so i decided to just summon someone and be done with it.

Can anyone help with the 2 giants in the well in the fishing hamlet?

Use shaman blade on the first as soon as the second one appears.

I was in the same situation yesterday, except i'm in ng+5 so it's even more bullshit...
During phase 1 i guess you just wait for him to jump over you and backstab him with R2, right?
In phase 2 i managed to riposte him several times but everytime i walked up to him the game wouldn't let me use a visceral attack for some reason so i decided to just summon someone and be done with it.

Use shaman blade on the first as soon as the second one appears.

Its too hard to do on NG+4.

myco666

So what level on ng+ difficulty is recommended for this? Finished the main game not long after launch. Never went back for ng+ run. Sitting at lvl 84 I think.

lvl100+ is recommended. What I would recommend is to get Vit to 30-50 range and damage stats to 50. You pretty much need a +10 weapon with the +18% gems you get from Mensis.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

I'm around 130 and it feels about right here. The first could comfortably hand my ass to me in a few shots, but I there was still potential to succeed.

Top Bottom