• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Kiyo

So I breezed through the game in my second playthrough 6~ months ago and ended up at level 96 with 40 points into Arcane and now I'm trying to do the first boss of the DLC in NG+ with my only +10 weapon (Blade of Mercy, bad idea) and getting completely destroyed. I don't seem to have a problem dodging his attacks and I can survive a while, but I do die in 2 hits to anything he does to me and I feel like I'm doing no damage to him at all. Haven't even gotten him to... even 70% once.

Am I just underleveled? Is it my weapon? A combination of a ton of points being in a useless stat (for now) and the other stuff? Maybe I just need to get better? Any advice?

At this point I'm thinking about just starting a new game or using one of my other guys with more "standard" builds.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Finally killed the first dlc boss at level 4 (Spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_F4e319gI

This literally makes no sense to me. I'm assuming that this is from a new game? I'm on new game++ and me and Henriette can't do shit do Ludwig! While the summon is inflicting damage, I'm beating the shit out of Ludwig with my maxed kirkhammer and my build is 50/50/50/50/23/27. The dude takes less damage from me than what you are dealing out and in a war of attrition, he's beating my ass. This guy is the first boss that made me resort to summoning a phatom and that still does jack shit. The weapons should scale with every newgame+ because this is ridiculous.

I'm fucking Soul Level 198 man! This shouldn't be happening to me! Fuck you From, made me waste 20 bucks!

myco666

Yeah I mean the system is kinda good in the early parts of the game where a blood vial is almost a full heal - then it's kind of suspenseful when you get low on them and it's like "ahhh I got to do this with 3 only vials!?"

But later when it takes 3 or 4 vials to recover from a single wrong move, there are really no options when you're out of them - you just have to farm. It's not like if you're dying repeatedly to a hard boss you're going to all of a sudden be like "alright no vials, but let's DO THIS!" No. You're just going to have to go farm if you want to proceed, there is no getting around it.

I guess it enforces taking a healthy break if you're banging your head against the wall, but after a certain point the vials just come and go so fast that they're not really even a resource that matters anymore. You just get used to having 20 and then suddenly you're out. Then you go and farm and buy another 200 or whatever. There would be more of an element of resource management if it functioned like Estus.

Vials always recover certain percent of your health. You should be able to heal fully from 2 vials throughout the game. Problem with Vials is that everyone uses them like Estus even though they don't work like Estus. You are not supposed to use 20 Vials everytime you try a boss since they don't replenish like Estus. That being said I would prefer Vials to be like Estus.

Sayad

Yeah I mean the system is kinda good in the early parts of the game where a blood vial is almost a full heal - then it's kind of suspenseful when you get low on them and it's like "ahhh I got to do this with 3 only vials!?"

The amount of HP blood vials heal scale with your full HP, they always heal the same percentage wither you're level 1 or 100!

Mman235

But later when it takes 3 or 4 vials to recover from a single wrong move, there are really no options when you're out of them - you just have to farm. It's not like if you're dying repeatedly to a hard boss you're going to all of a sudden be like "alright no vials, but let's DO THIS!" No. You're just going to have to go farm if you want to proceed, there is no getting around it.

I guess it enforces taking a healthy break if you're banging your head against the wall, but after a certain point the vials just come and go so fast that they're not really even a resource that matters anymore. You just get used to having 20 and then suddenly you're out. Then you go and farm and buy another 200 or whatever. There would be more of an element of resource management if it functioned like Estus.

The effect of blood vials scales with your Vitality, so from "zero" (as close as you can get) health it always takes three vials to get back to full. So your overall vial intake never really goes up unless you brick wall on something, and the Vit stat is borderline overpowered for most of the game as a result.

Edit: beaten

CHC

Vials always recover certain percent of your health. You should be able to heal fully from 2 vials throughout the game. Problem with Vials is that everyone uses them like Estus even though they don't work like Estus. You are not supposed to use 20 Vials everytime you try a boss since they don't replenish like Estus. That being said I would prefer Vials to be like Estus.

The amount of HP blood vials heal scale with your full HP, they always heal the same percentage wither you're level 1 or 100!

Hmm I didn't actually know that. On all my attempts at Ludwig it took 3 vials to top myself off after near death, but I usually would do 2 just to be conservative. I guess it's just more a case of later bosses hitting you harder, so your relative vial use goes up as the game goes on. Well, unless you're stacking vitality to the ceiling that is....

Either way, there really is no alternative to healing on a boss that you haven't mastered yet. I know they're not supposed to be like Estus, but if you get injured there aren't any other options (well on regular mobs you can use rally / heals from visceral attack rune, which I do). On bosses, trying to heal via rally is usually the worse option since it can get you hit again, often fatally.

(Anyway I've complained about the blood vials enough. It's a momentary inconvenience when you run out, but it's still annoying. The rest of the game is so fucking great that it's not a major dealbreaker or anything.)

burgerdog

So what exactly did they change about the chalice dungeons with patch 1.07? I've beaten the queen twice and I wouldn't mind going in a third time with my new character if it's easier to get into the dungeons now. The farming aspect is what would keep me out of them.

So what exactly did they change about the chalice dungeons with patch 1.07? I've beaten the queen twice and I wouldn't mind going in a third time with my new character if it's easier to get into the dungeons now. The farming aspect is what would keep me out of them.

Between both shops, you can buy every ingredient now. I'm not sure if you have to acquire one first or what, though, because everything is already cleared on my character.

CHC

I'm REALLY liking the introduction of more speaking NPCs in the DLC. Things feel a bit more diverse / alive now. There were a decent number in the main game, but still less than in the other Souls games. I also dig NPCs like the
guy cursing Byrgenwerth at the Fishing Hamlet
and the
patients moaning about Maria
.... characters which aren't explicitly helpers or enemies.

Finally killed the first dlc boss at level 4 (Spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_F4e319gI

806.gif

Amazing

I'm REALLY liking the introduction of more speaking NPCs in the DLC. Things feel a bit more diverse / alive now. There were a decent number in the main game, but still less than in the other Souls games. I also dig NPCs like the
guy cursing Byrgenwerth at the Fishing Hamlet
and the
patients moaning about Maria
.... characters which aren't explicitly helpers or enemies.

Yeah this is a big thing I like about the DLC as well

Can anyone else use beckoning bell? Trying to get it going for the orphan, I can be summoned into people's but mine isn't finding anyone. Worldwide and password off? WTF

burgerdog

Between both shops, you can buy every ingredient now. I'm not sure if you have to acquire one first or what, though, because everything is already cleared on my character.

I read about this and I checked the shop with both of my characters that have cleared the dungeons but I didn't see materials like bastard of loran in there. I'll have to double check when I get home, then.

Just got to the first boss.

Are any of the old hunters weapons missable for the trophy?

One that I know of is the Bloodletter.
Don't kill the Harrowed Hunter (guy near the shortcut at the start, say nightmares intrigue you). He'll show up at the lamps as you progress and you gotta talk to him. At the last lamp you'll get Simon's Bowblade and the key to the room where you find the Bloodletter

Mafro

For some weird reason every time I warp to the Research Hall I immediately get 610 souls as if an enemy has just died.

Auctopus

Don't kill the Harrowed Hunter (guy near the shortcut at the start, say nightmares intrigue you). He'll show up at the lamps as you progress and you gotta talk to him. At the last lamp you'll get Simon's Bowblade and the key to the room where you find the Bloodletter

Thanks. Wasn't planning on doing that anyway.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Holy shit I have died to one of the first hunters so many times.

The guy with the fucking flaming hammer? Fuck that guy so hard jesus.

Mr Git

I've helped other people beat
OoK
but not on my own game yet :c

People farming blood vials - why? Souls are so frequent and plentiful in this game it's easier to just buy them if you're running low.

Congrats man, i'm still struggling to finish him in phase 2...
Haven't had time to learn it c:
Also phase 1 takes alot longer for me, since i aim to only hit him when his chance of punishing is 0%, you seem to rush him down and he get's staggered i might try that!

edit: i just watched your ludwig progress video, its almost identical to mine, except mine takes 4 times as long!
double edit: er how is your damage so high? mines like half of that, i assume the saw cleaver bonus is double damage
TRIPLE edit: for reference this is my terrible damage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2O0AMlPb7k

I've helped other people beat
OoK
but not on my own game yet :c

People farming blood vials - why? Souls are so frequent and plentiful in this game it's easier to just buy them if you're running low.

There are no souls in Bloodborne.

[*loudly sips empty soda can through a comically long straw*]

BeeDog

Pretty sure people have confirmed no weapons are missable.
I believe that if you (accidentally) kill him, the key should show up in the Fisherman's Hut later on anyway. Haven't confirmed that myself though.

Nothus

Guys quick question. The last time I played Bloodborne was literally just after I finished the game for the third time (to get all endings). So this technically means my character is now on NG+++ going forward.
So if I was to buy the dlc, does that mean I'd be playing through the dlc at NG+++ difficulty as well?
Is my only option to start a completely new character? Not something I want to do tbh...

demonkaze

So just got the moonlight blade and want to upgrade it but I haven't played the game in a long time so I can't remember the best farming spots. Where is the best place to get twin blood shards from?

MilkBeard

There must be so many people needing help at OoK. I spent a few hours helping people and getting summoned almost instantly. But now that I'm trying to summon, no one is showing up.

BeeDog

So just got the moonlight blade and want to upgrade it but I haven't played the game in a long time so I can't remember the best farming spots. Where is the best place to get twin blood shards from?

You're better off farming blood echoes in Chalice dungeons (suggestion: do the co-op) or in high-level areas and just buy them (10,000 each).

Ok, just started the game a few minutes ago, second experience with the Souls series after trying Demon Souls and finding it boring. Interesting so far, but I'm still shaking my head that they
do not give you a weapon to begin with
. Seriously?

Top Bottom