• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

FYI if anyone is having a hard time with certain bosses you can tank them pretty easy using the whirligig saw R2 attack and lead elixir. You may need to equip the rally potential rune.

You cant get knocked down with lead elixir and the R2 attack is like life on hit. Just make sure you have enough vit so you dont get 1HKO (or dodge when you see it coming).

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wow 10% drop rate on the Guidance ruin from the crows in the Research Hall and I got it first time.

Nice.

Neoweee

Poor Maria. A great boss completely undermined by ranged parrying. At least she has great music.

Like a bunch of fights in the game.

I feel like the minority here, but parrying & viscerals (and backstabs) need to be cut from the series. They cheapen some otherwise great fights.

Like a bunch of fights in the game.

I feel like the minority here, but parrying & viscerals (and backstabs) need to be cut from the series. They cheapen some otherwise great fights.
I've been playing the series since dark souls 1 and I still haven't gotten the hang of parrying entirely. I had a lot of fun with the Maria fight though!

Neoweee

I've been playing the series since dark souls 1 and I still haven't gotten the hang of parrying entirely. I had a lot of fun with the Maria fight though!

Parrying in BB is different. Since you don't need to be in melee range, you can fish without risk until your timing is perfect.

Alright, I haven't played the original game yet (just picked it up on BF), but I have a quick question about this DLC. Is it the type of DLC that would be best to buy right away and play alongside the main game for the first time or should I hold off on getting it until a NG+ playthrough?

Alright, I haven't played the original game yet (just picked it up on BF), but I have a quick question about this DLC. Is it the type of DLC that would be best to buy right away and play alongside the main game for the first time or should I hold off on getting it until a NG+ playthrough?
This is something you do right before you beat the final boss in my opinion or at the very least right before the final area.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

You can unlock it quite early but you'll probably be too low level to tackle it at that point. There's not really a reason to wait until NG+ though.

I'd say in the latter portions of the game is the best time to go through it, at a time when you have a lot of optional things to do before completing the first NG cycle.

Lol the two homies after 1st boss

I know what I have to do but it's so easy to get caught in their BS

Killer atmosphere though. As twisted as "Nightmare" locations are in the game I don't find the aesthetic nearly as pleasing as some good ol fashioned corridors

Kinda old post but I'm advancing with my Moonlight build and I agree that weapon.

I mean, the arcane beams can do great damage (especially if you conect the hit with the beam) but that's pretty much it, and god luck doing that against bosses that keep moving and don't let you charge the attacks.

The regular (R1) damage is below the Ludwig's unless you level up everything the 3 stats a lot (forget about caping at 100-120 if you like that). Add that no one in PvP will even eat the L2/R2s and you're left with a weapon that only is useful for coop sessions (so you can do the Arcane attacks while the boss is facing another player).

I think the weapon should be like the Chikage, 1h STR based and 2h ARC based. The split damage hurts the viability of the weapon. You can pull pretty numbers but overall is not as useful.

Of course, this probably changes when you say "fuck it" and level up STR , SKL and ARC to 50.

EDIT: That being said, there's some good weapons in the DLC. The pizza cutter is just crazy. Even with just 25 STR it destroys shit. I liked the Church Pick in my SKL build too.

Today I started using the Moonblade a lot more in the chalice dungeons and I must say that it isnt that bad but as you said 2H hits really hard if the beam and sword connects together. However it does not help once you fight a boss who resists Arcane.

I do want to try the pizza cutter or Katanas next. I still havent gotten the one from the well yet. Unfortunately most of the time I stick with Ludwig since its the best and most versatile even if its range sucks big time. I couldnt do the fire wolf in Chalice without using another weapon. So I need to find a new favourite that has longer reach.

My build is pretty much maxed now that I got Bloodtinge at 50 (finally!) I can experiment with Chikage, and other Blood related weapons.

Off to bed now, but tomorrow ill be able to assist people like as a tank since I got almost all of the best runes (FINALLY!) from Chalice dungeon (only missing to pick up the 15% health rune). Stacking them all should keep me alive as human shield :). I am surprised I havent gotten burned out on Bloodborne again like it was this summer. I guess the DLC really helped me get back into the game.

Should I be putting these suffering things out of their misery?

I honestly regret doing so since the game is quite lonesome without unique dialogue. "Splish Splash Splish Splash". I wish we could actually find that doods eyes by the pool! At least I spared the ones in area 3.

CHC

Jesus the NG+ difficulty level is really starting to fray my fucking nerves here. There's an ideal "Souls difficulty" level that this just so far surpasses. Obviously I don't mind dying many times over, but I'm gettting sick to death of spending 3+ hours on every boss (aside from Failures, that is). Maybe I should just save this shit for later because it's very frustrating alloting myself a 2 hour break from working only to accomplish literally nothing other than failure.

I love the series and I've been through some hard shit, but this is really starting to get to me here.

I'm on Orphan now and I can easily pass phase 1 by parrying and backstabbing him, it's not really a problem. But phase 2 is just horseshit, 75% of the time I can't even see where he is then I get comboed from across the entire arena as soon as I realize which direction he leapt in.

You can unlock it quite early but you'll probably be too low level to tackle it at that point. There's not really a reason to wait until NG+ though.

I'd say in the latter portions of the game is the best time to go through it, at a time when you have a lot of optional things to do before completing the first NG cycle.

This is something you do right before you beat the final boss in my opinion or at the very least right before the final area.

Alright, thanks for the info!

Fhtagn

So, is there a soundtrack cd available for the DLC tracks? or iTunes?

There are youtube uploads of the songs but I'd like to acquire legit copies for my collection.

Is the cd that comes with The Old Hunters japan edition the new tracks?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I found
Ludwig
's second phase to be easier than his first, it seems the attacks are more telegraphed and easier to dodge consistently.

So, is there a soundtrack cd available for the DLC tracks? or iTunes?

There are youtube uploads of the songs but I'd like to acquire legit copies for my collection.

Is the cd that comes with The Old Hunters japan edition the new tracks?

Laurence OST is amazing right after I hear it on youtube. didnt payed attention cuz i was fighting for my life

CHC

Well, after 20 or so tries I got Ludwig to his second form.....

...then promptly got my ass kicked lol. I'm starting to lose hope...

Second form is definitely easier than the first. His sword attacks go in pretty obvious directions and dodging isn't too hard. When he raises the sword above his head and begins to charge it up, SPRINT behind him and unload the pain while he slams it down in front of him. Eventually you can provoke a visceral attack by damaging him enough, and by that point the end is in sight.

Good luck!

Croc

Banned
Man,
OoK
was a ridiculous fight. Was co-oping and got pretty owned first time with a friend. Think we made it barely to second form and both got taken out with the same move. We tried once more and he ended up dying right before the second form started, and I somehow managed to finish the fight that second time totally on my own. I ended up having 0 blood vials left though and I was soooo on the edge of my seat. Totally didn't think I was going to beat him.

Definitely one of the most intense fights in the game. I felt like I could have been killed at any second, all the time. He's so aggressive!

I think the only thing left I have to do in the DLC is the optional fight. Might get to it tonight.

Top Bottom