• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am rather sad that Skill weapons got shafted pretty badly in the DLC... especially since the best of them is locked until wayyyyyyyyy later in the DLC :(

I'm pretty keen to jump into this, but man... wish I had a save of my OG NG character.

I'm on NG+, up to Amelia, but only at level 95. I'd be underleveled for this DLC on NG+ right? I'm a bit rusty anyway... I went and had a stab at Amelia, and she ate me up. lol.

Dahbomb

I am rather sad that Skill weapons got shafted pretty badly in the DLC... especially since the best of them is locked until wayyyyyyyyy later in the DLC :(
Rakuyo is a nice Skill weapon. Technically the Simon's Bow is also a Skill weapon though it's a hybrid Skill/Blood weapon.

Rakuyo is more balanced than Blade of Mercy. More range, more damage per hit and a variety of moves including some nice pokes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Rakuyo is a nice Skill weapon. Technically the Simon's Bow is also a Skill weapon though it's a hybrid Skill/Blood weapon.

Rakuyo is more balanced than Blade of Mercy. More range, more damage per hit and a variety of moves including some nice pokes.

Yea, Rakuyo is my main target. In my opinion honestly the most badass with the slickest appearance and moveset. It's locked until wayyyy later in the DLC tho :(

I suppose the Saif is cool as well, and the Church Pick ain't bad.... and Simon's Bowblade is cool too... although the Church Pick is locked until rather late as well, with Simon's Blowblade even potentially further away than Rakuyo to unlock.

Maybe it's not the "skill weapon get shafted" that irked me, but more of a "damn it all the cool Skill weapons are locked until wayyy farther into the DLC so I really NEED to be patient on withholding those upgrades till I get those weapons."

Also, an off-tangent remark but: I just realized you're a junior member? I've seen you lots of times so I am a bit surprised o_O

I'm pretty keen to jump into this, but man... wish I had a save of my OG NG character.

I'm on NG+, up to Amelia, but only at level 95. I'd be underleveled for this DLC on NG+ right? I'm a bit rusty anyway... I went and had a stab at Amelia, and she ate me up. lol.

From what I can see, the difference of the DLC between NG and NG+ is staggering, for a lack of better word. One of the reasons I created a new character instead of continuing on with my NG+ character, hahah. Well that... and playing Bloodborne all over again is not such a bad idea :)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Saw a post on leddit saying you can access the DLC for free if you get summoned into someone's world at the hunter's dream with the DLC access item on the ground.

GJ Fromsoft.

e: To clarify, I think this may cause the item to spawn in your world so you have to return and pick it up, not pick up the host's item.

But the Church Pick isn't locked that late.

sheaaaa

What the fuck is up with the
huge harpoon-holding monsters
in the
Fishing Hamlet
?? I figured the one in
the well
was optional but the one near the
second thing that shoots skulls
is absolutely tearing me apart.

konjak

Really? Whenever I spawn into a world and there are already-existing item flames I can't interact with them

vvv I suppose that could happen. Would be funny.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Really? Whenever I spawn into a world and there are already-existing item flames I can't interact with them

Me too, but I think the idea is they spawn in your world as well, so if you get summoned into someone's hunter dream and the access item is on the ground, you can't interact with it, but return to your dream and it should be there?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Indefinite punishment.

Been a member for almost 10 years now.

Yeah I thought so. Sorry to hear that, dude.

But the Church Pick isn't locked that late.

Hahaha well not that late but quite late since I believe you need to grab a key from the research building first before you can grab it?

It really *is* an interesting weapon though. One of the most unassuming, in fact, considering how "exotic" weapons like Whirligig or Rakuyo or Boom Hammer or Amygdalan Arm or Simon's Bowblade---the Church Pick looks very "normal" compared to them, hahah.

How's your experience so far using it? I am assuming you're maining it?

Fireflu

That was hilarious, just managed to stun lock
OoK in place for the entirety of its second phase
with two other random players using the pizza cutter.

Video:
Iv'e beaten each of the DLC bosses numerous times now and each time I discover new tricks and tactics to deal with each phase of the fight
(apart from Laurence, once was more than enough!)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hahaha well not that late but quite late since I believe you need to grab a key from the research building first before you can grab it?

It really *is* an interesting weapon though. One of the most unassuming, in fact, considering how "exotic" weapons like Whirligig or Rakuyo or Boom Hammer or Amygdalan Arm or Simon's Bowblade---the Church Pick looks very "normal" compared to them, hahah.

How's your experience so far using it? I am assuming you're maining it?

Yeah I love it. The move set is great. I don't have top tier gems so I can't comment on how damaging it is compared to others and I'm sure Rakuyo twirl out damages it but I like it a lot.

That was hilarious, just managed to stun lock
OoK in place for the entirety of its second phase
with two other random players using the pizza cutter.

Video:
Iv'e beaten each of the DLC bosses numerous times now and each time I discover new tricks and tactics to deal with each phase of the fight

lol. Triggered at the length of that stamina bar.

Fireflu

in the
Fishing Hamlet
?? I figured the one in
the well

The true final boss, seriously those things are utter hell to fight. If you really get stuck on him you can
run past and cheese him from inside the lighthouse hut with the lantern inside
. Probably the safest way to deal with that particular one.

Welp, playing this on New Game++ was a mistake. My stats are such that levelling 20 levels to 170 isn't going to increase my damage or survivability enough to make a difference. Ludwig is completely trashing me like a chump. I thought I was getting his shit down but his reaction speed is just so inconsistent that he can chump change me with quick attack changes so fast that I can't recover. His lifepool is way too fucking large, I've never gotten him down past 40% of his life. His jump attack is kinda bullshit.

I'm on try 25 right now and that's not even like...inconsistent with some of my main game attempts (first time Amelia was 43, first time SoYs were 30-something) but I am feeling more irritated than I was during the main game for some reason. I think it's because of how long each attempt gets, due to not having a consistent damage output like with other bosses.

From what I can see, the difference of the DLC between NG and NG+ is staggering, for a lack of better word. One of the reasons I created a new character instead of continuing on with my NG+ character, hahah. Well that... and playing Bloodborne all over again is not such a bad idea :)

I guess I should roll a new character! These games are always easier your second time through anyway. Hehe.

Best strat I have for Laurence (at least for his second phase) is baiting his fire breath and performing a hit and run. Makes that part of the fight pretty trivial.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to make a second character at this point. Try 28 wasn't particularly fun as I hadn't gotten hit once until 70% life then he jumped, hit me and fucked me up then did his bucking attack and I just kinda sighed and turned the game off.

Rakuyo is great. My alternative to the Blade of Mercy. The range is nice but the BOM is faster and the R2 and L2 attacks in two handed mode is hard to beat. Also I'm just really used to them.

Fireflu

Best strat I have for Laurence (at least for his second phase) is baiting his fire breath and performing a hit and run. Makes that part of the fight pretty trivial.

When I did finally beat him the fight must have lasted a good 20-30 minutes all in all. Its an incredibly deceptive fight as the first phase encourages the player to be very aggressive and get lots of hits in, while the second phase is a real game of patience and timing. I found the only safe time to attack at all was during his fire breath, otherwise he would just continuously swat me away and instantly kill me. At least Valtr is a champ at tanking hits!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I guess I should roll a new character! These games are always easier your second time through anyway. Hehe.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to make a second character at this point. Try 28 wasn't particularly fun as I hadn't gotten hit once until 70% life then he jumped, hit me and fucked me up then did his bucking attack and I just kinda sighed and turned the game off.

All of us the "Roll New Character Gang" should team up every once in a while, hahaha.

I am currently around level 28, going through the Witch Hamlet. My PSN is LaughingBanana.

Anyone else, feel free to add me as well. I have a high level NG+ character but for a while I want to focus on this new character first.

Dahbomb

Rakuyo is great. My alternative to the Blade of Mercy. The range is nice but the BOM is faster and the R2 and L2 attacks in two handed mode is hard to beat. Also I'm just really used to them.
BoM isn't that much faster in the first 5 hits compared to the Rakuyo 2h form, it's after that where the speed really kicks in. Plus the speed advantage is nullified by the fact that Rakuyo does more damage per hit. A lot of the times you won't reach that speed break point with BoM.

The moveset with BoM is nice. The dash into R1 attack is really good with BoM too. That's like my most used move with BoM.

The advantages of Rakuyo I feel are:

*Excellent backstab animation (long range) in 1H farm
*L2 move in 2h form is great for damage and crowd attack (it's like a more powerful BoM R2)
*R2 attack transform string has a high stun value.
*R2 attack in 2 hand form is an excellent ranged poke that is quick and can be hit multiple times to keep the distance while poking. Excellent poking move, among the best in the game.
*Running R1 with 1H form is nice, nice area of effect good against running into multiple enemies. Where as running R2 is great for range poke while trying to chase something down/close the distance.
*Backstep R2 in both forms is an excellent counter poke move.
*You can imbue it with an effect like the Shell/Papers unlike the BoM (which has built in Arcane damage)
*Solid overall balance between damage and range with a great variety in moveset.

My only issue with the weapon is knowing all the moves and sometime confusing the moveset of the two forms. That doesn't happen to me with the BoM.

Manu

Aw yiss.
Laurence
down. My hands are shaking.

Looks like I'm missing a weapon (or more) since I didn't get that trophy.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

in the
Fishing Hamlet
?? I figured the one in
the well

Run straight to the priest and kill him so he is no longer shooting purple skull magic at you, then RUN and get away from the Harpoon Fish Shark. Best use hit and run tactics if you manage to get to the house after them the Fish Shark will generally walk back and have his back to you.

Maaaan. That last area just seems like a homage to Junji Ito xD

And just reached
Orphan of Kos
. I don't have the energy to fight him after doing the other two bosses so I think I'm going to call it a night. Not going to even bother wtih
Laurence
lol.

Koobion

Any tips on
Laurence
? I keep getting two shotted by swipes with fire resist gear on. I can get him low but it seems to depend on him not using these two swings he uses when I'm hitting him from behind.

So how did you guys avoid the
Living Failures meteor attack
?

When they start channeling the WHOLE GODDAM UNIVERSE; HOLY SHIT ITS NIGHT BABY phase try to kill one as fast as you can if you can just roll to your sides or run forward without stopping, the meteors just move forward.

TheGrue

Is there anything about The League stuff that makes co-op with a friend any easier? I've got a friend who never got past Ameila on his first run and I'm on NG+ and just killed Amelia to unlock the new area. Need to get to the new Covenant guy as well, but really I want to co-op with him to get him through the game. Do I just use the password mechanic to do it?

Manu

Any tips on
Laurence
? I keep getting two shotted by swipes with fire resist gear on. I can get him low but it seems to depend on him not using these two swings he uses when I'm hitting him from behind.

Just summon Valtr to tank him for you during his first stage.

Once you see his second stage you won't feel bad about summoning.

So how did you guys avoid the
Living Failures meteor attack
?

When they start casting it, I just backstabbed one of them and then visceral. You're invulnerable during the entirety of the animation.

sheaaaa

Run straight to the priest and kill him so he is no longer shooting purple skull magic at you, then RUN and get away from the Harpoon Fish Shark. Best use hit and run tactics if you manage to get to the house after them the Fish Shark will generally walk back and have his back to you.
The true final boss, seriously those things are utter hell to fight. If you really get stuck on him you can
run past and cheese him from inside the lighthouse hut with the lantern inside
. Probably the safest way to deal with that particular one.

Glad to see Im not the only one having problems with this guy. Okay I guess running away is a good plan. I'm guessing the one in the
well
with the other asshole and what I'm assuming is the
frenzy singing brain woman
is crazy hard. I got that harpoon dude down to a third of his health but when both come at once I'm fucked.

All I'm missing is OoK. Damn fine DLC. I will add some arcane/bloodtinge to my character to make it use other weapons I have been unable to try.

Kinda wish it was spread out in difficulty so that we could get some of these weapons in NG with more ease from the beginning.

Dahbomb

Any tips on
Laurence
First form or 2nd form?

I can tell you my strategy. I don't know if it's the most optimum one but it worked for me.

1st form:

I basically keep my distance and just looked for a few attacks to come in and hit him. When he jumped really high and came down, you can come in to attack him. When he does the triple ground pound ending with a double hand pound. You can also attack him during his 4 string attack (turns into 5 string attack when he's around half life) by first staying out of range of the first 3 attacks then going in and dodging into the 4th attack so you are in position to hit him. He also does a few grab attacks that you can hit him after he whiffs. Play it extremely safe. You can hit him after all of his attacks but there's always risk in it especially since he has a bunch of ways to hit around him if you stay near him for too long.

Positioning is key in this fight. You always want to be just outside of his swipe ranges but not too far away because then you will just corner yourself faster. You cannot let yourself get cornered in this fight, as soon as you get close wait for an attack and then run past him.

2nd form:

The 2nd form is essentially a fight that tests only two things: patience and positioning. You always want to be on the opposite side away from him (so if he's on your left then you should be on the right side of the screen). This is so that you have room to move after he does his lava attack. You want to keep maximum distance from him in this fight because it will make him do his lava vomit attack during which he is completely open to attack. Just let him do the lava attack and move around the lava attack to get to his side and hit him a few times and back off. He has very limited mobility and the only way he can close the distance is by doing this multiple strike attacks that move him forward which is IMO his deadliest attack in this form because it can stunlock you or trap you in a corner. This is why positioning is important, if you maintain distance and watch your back/corner then you won't get trapped by this move.

If you don't get greedy in this form it shouldn't be a problem. If you are at a long range you don't have to worry about his swipes. If you have the Simon Bow or some powerful ranged attack then it's the perfect time to use them on his 2nd form.

If you are using Ludwig then you can ignore most of this advice and just go aggressive on his first form. He can get staggered a lot by the Ludwig. You can trade hits in a few cases. The 2nd phase though you still have to use the strategy I listed above.

zsynqx

Just beat
Maria

Took longer than it should have as I reached her 5 days ago but wasn't able to play again until now. Pretty sure she has the same voice as the
doll
but I am sure most of you realized that already. Was a great fight and reminded me of Gherman mixed with Allant.

The entrance to the next area was awesome,
how the clock tower opened
up to reveal it. Just rested at the first lamp after that creepy figured walked past chanting about
Byrgenworth and Kos.
Honestly, this has already topped Artorias for me, really amazing job by From.

Only slight disappointment so far was the second boss which wasn't terrible, but just not that fun to fight and went on for a bit too long. I also never figured out a reliable way to dodge the
rocks they summon from the sky.

Top Bottom