• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Ahhhh sweet relief! Finally took down OoK. His second phase is such a step up from the first. I was getting through the first part only having to use maybe two or three vials, but after he transforms I would just get pummeled lol. Thanks to the person a couple pages back who told me to use Augur of Ebrietas to parry the second phase leap attack, that helped quite a bit. Playing this on NG++ sure has extended the playtime of this dlc.

Oh and how does the
Kos Parasite
work? My guy just uses his fists.

_Slay

I accidentally aggro'd the first NPC by the shortcut without talking to him and killed him, please tell me he isn't important.

playXray

So I have a level 110 character in NG+ and I'm getting my ass handed to me.

Do I just need to git gud?

It's pretty tough in NG+. I've seen a suggested starting level of 130 mentioned a few times for the NG+ DLC, and to be honest that seems about right.

I am level 150 or thereabouts and I'm still finding it a lot harder than the vanilla game on NG+.

I accidentally aggro'd the first NPC by the shortcut without talking to him and killed him, please tell me he isn't important.

I think you need him for one of the weapons, which you need for a Gold Trophy. Did you get any loot?

_Slay

It's pretty tough in NG+. I've seen a suggested starting level of 130 mentioned a few times for the NG+ DLC, and to be honest that seems about right.

I am level 150 or thereabouts and I'm still finding it a lot harder than the vanilla game on NG+.

I think you need him for one of the weapons, which you need for a Gold Trophy. Did you get any loot?
Yes he dropped his weapon.

konjak

His important item should still spawn without him where he'd appear last, by accounts I read.

EDIT: I just checked because I had a character in that area, and I killed the guy like you did, and the item is there. :)

Only slight disappointment so far was the second boss which wasn't terrible, but just not that fun to fight and went on for a bit too long. I also never figured out a reliable way to dodge the
rocks they summon from the sky.
It's easy to dodge
the rocks from the sky. Just use the central sunflower to position yourself opposite the rocks' direction and you're set. Never got hit (beat the boss in 3rd try).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Interested to see a reliable "speed run" way to get through the first room in the Research Hall.

lol @ all the enemies in the room with the ladder ;_;

Dahbomb

Interested to see a reliable "speed run" way to get through the first room in the Research Hall.

lol @ all the enemies in the room with the ladder ;_;
You can use the other room on the same floor to get up on a different ladder that takes you to the same place. Way less enemies to go through.

Is the best place to farm vials still the Great Bridge run in Yharnam? Fucking Ludwig mayn...

Isn't it faster to just kill some shit and buy a load of em? If you have access to the later chalice dungeons it would be really fast, could even do the lecture building with all the students and some moon runes if you can't do the chalice dungeons yet. Would also load you up on bullets.

HORRORSHØW

Isn't it faster to just kill some shit and buy a load of em? If you have access to the later chalice dungeons it would be really fast, could even do the lecture building with all the students and some moon runes if you can't do the chalice dungeons yet. Would also load you up on bullets.

yeah, that would be best.

the yharnam bridge is only good in the beginning

Shit I forgot that you could buy them lol. Are some chalice dungeons better than others for vials? I've only unlocked through the Lower Loran.

Edit: Or are you talking about quick echoes in the chalices?

Is the best place to farm vials still the Great Bridge run in Yharnam? Fucking Ludwig mayn...
By far the best way to get vials is to actually farm souls and then buy the vials.
Depending on where you are in the game, find a spot where you can get the most souls per run.
For example, in OG I did it in the Lecture Hall where all those squid students are. Great farming spot, IMHO.

Shit I forgot that you could buy them lol. Are some chalice dungeons better than others for vials? I've only unlocked through the Lower Loran.

I'm just talking purely in the amount of echoes you get. So like cursed/defiled/etc Isz root or Great Ph....phoet.....phutiwhatever, even the basic one would net you a lot of echoes real fast by just going around and killing stuff.

Koobion

First form or 2nd form?

I can tell you my strategy. I don't know if it's the most optimum one but it worked for me.

1st form:

I basically keep my distance and just looked for a few attacks to come in and hit him. When he jumped really high and came down, you can come in to attack him. When he does the triple ground pound ending with a double hand pound. You can also attack him during his 4 string attack (turns into 5 string attack when he's around half life) by first staying out of range of the first 3 attacks then going in and dodging into the 4th attack so you are in position to hit him. He also does a few grab attacks that you can hit him after he whiffs. Play it extremely safe. You can hit him after all of his attacks but there's always risk in it especially since he has a bunch of ways to hit around him if you stay near him for too long.

Positioning is key in this fight. You always want to be just outside of his swipe ranges but not too far away because then you will just corner yourself faster. You cannot let yourself get cornered in this fight, as soon as you get close wait for an attack and then run past him.

2nd form:

The 2nd form is essentially a fight that tests only two things: patience and positioning. You always want to be on the opposite side away from him (so if he's on your left then you should be on the right side of the screen). This is so that you have room to move after he does his lava attack. You want to keep maximum distance from him in this fight because it will make him do his lava vomit attack during which he is completely open to attack. Just let him do the lava attack and move around the lava attack to get to his side and hit him a few times and back off. He has very limited mobility and the only way he can close the distance is by doing this multiple strike attacks that move him forward which is IMO his deadliest attack in this form because it can stunlock you or trap you in a corner. This is why positioning is important, if you maintain distance and watch your back/corner then you won't get trapped by this move.

If you don't get greedy in this form it shouldn't be a problem. If you are at a long range you don't have to worry about his swipes. If you have the Simon Bow or some powerful ranged attack then it's the perfect time to use them on his 2nd form.

If you are using Ludwig then you can ignore most of this advice and just go aggressive on his first form. He can get staggered a lot by the Ludwig. You can trade hits in a few cases. The 2nd phase though you still have to use the strategy I listed above.

Thanks! :) Appreciate the time you took to type that. I got him to a sliver of health and died, but I'll get it!
Thanks

Eusis

Is this NG+? I'd honestly just start looking for wherever you can get a ton of souls easily and BUY the blood vials. The time it'd take to get the money for the vials can be far less than getting the drops. This will be especially true in one of the areas shortly after that boss.

I am rather sad that Skill weapons got shafted pretty badly in the DLC... especially since the best of them is locked until wayyyyyyyyy later in the DLC :(

I don't think skill got shafted all that hard - all three of the skill weapons are viable, whereas the more testing I do the more it seems that there's just no reason for a strength build to use anything but the Whirligig Saw.

konjak

Imru’ al-Qays;187254102 said:
I don't think skill got shafted all that hard - all three of the skill weapons are viable, whereas the more testing I do the more it seems that there's just no reason for a strength build to use anything but the Whirligig Saw.

I flippin' love the Boom Hammer. You can get firey combos with R1 -> L1 -> R1, and leap-attacking with fire is so strong and wide (and knocks even bosses like
Maria
on their ass). <3

Problem I found was my first run was NG+ pure skill build and you really don't easily find anything Skill for a while, unless you want a prototype cleaver.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Imru&#8217; al-Qays;187254102 said:

I flippin' love the Boom Hammer. You can get firey combos with R1 -> L1 -> R1, and leap-attacking with fire is so strong and wide (and knocks even bosses like
Maria
on their ass). <3

Problem I found was my first run was NG+ pure skill build and you really don't easily find anything Skill for a while, unless you want a prototype cleaver.

What's the damage on the Boom Hammer like? The move set seemed kind of underwhelming but maybe it's fun to use anyway. Didn't try it out on an actual str build.

konjak

I was mostly just excited to use it, but it did a lot of damage. I kinda doubt it was better than the Whirligig +10 with the build I had that time, but I did give it a fire bloodgem too which was fun. No idea if that made the explosive attacks better on average though.

Its one big annoyance is pressing L1 to relight if you dodged just before, which becomes an attack. But I don't like Bloodborne in general having L1 attacks out of dodges, they always get in the way.

MilkBeard

What's the damage on the Boom Hammer like? The move set seemed kind of underwhelming but maybe it's fun to use anyway. Didn't try it out on an actual str build.

Fire R1 and Fire R2 are great enemy clearing moves. I like the boom hammer a lot, and keep it around to clear large groups of enemies.

myco666

Grimløck;187199511 said:
my stats are 50/50 in str and skill. i'm super over leveled on this playthrough b/c i wanted to test all the weapons.

gems are 2x 27.2 physical and one 26.3 physical

So it should do around 6000-7000 without gems? That damage is really good. Definetily need to get that weapon for some build early.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried to glyph my way into a Blood Rock, and it said I didn't meet the requirements. What requirements?

Jeb

Actually, the starting part to the DLC is the best place, forgot it's name but it's the area where there is a bunch of old hunters and the path leads up to the church.

Mild intro spoilers:
You know when two guys open the Cathedral, and it turns out there is this big monster with the axe waiting at the door, that that big monster drops 6 Vials.

I know he seems tough, but if you don't interrupt the guys that opened the door, the two guys and the monster will fight among each other and the monster will lose a big chunk of health, also you can blind side him when he is fighting those guys

Just make sure to stagger him before he starts magic mode.

Actually the rest of the area drops vials, but focus on that guy

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How's the bloodtinge weapon in the DLC? Seems like bloodtinge really got the shaft this time around, there's like only one significant BT weapon... hope it's good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I burst out laughing at the (Fishing Hamlet spoiler)
giant shark thing that just picks you up and eats you
. This area is incredible.

How's the bloodtinge weapon in the DLC? Seems like bloodtinge really got the shaft this time around, there's like only one significant BT weapon... hope it's good.

There are 2 Bloodtinge weapon : the B
owblade
and the B
loodletter
I've upgraded the first at +10 and I'm quite happy with it. I have 45 BT and it hits something like 350-400 (R1 hit, bow mode)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Bloodletter range is pretty good. The charge R2 has an AOE which is nice.

The Frenzy move is negated by the Frenzy resistance rune but I haven't been using it much anyway. It might change depends on enemies or something but for me it seems to do the exact same amount of damage as the charge R2, just a lot faster and with the frenzy buildup.

myco666

Bloodletter is probably my favorite new weapon. Hits hard and really like the moveset and no health loss like Chikage. Bowblade is good but playstyle with bow form is pretty lame since it is just 'dash away and do charge shots'. No real need to get in on bosses.

HORRORSHØW

for bloodtinge builds, you really want the lost variants because of the circular gem imprints to maximize bloodtinge damage. well, the
bowblade
anyway. i don't think the
bloodletter
has a circular imprint.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There are 2 Bloodtinge weapon : the B
owblade
and the B
loodletter
I've upgraded the first at +10 and I'm quite happy with it. I have 45 BT and it hits something like 350-400 (R1 hit, bow mode)

Can you test whether the Bowblade's ranged attack can be powered with Bone Marrow Ash?

Otherwise I don't see any reason why to use it over Bone Marrow Ash-powered Repeating Pistol, other maybe for ranged stagger which can be fun if you play coop I guess.

after about 40 tries i finally defeated
laurence
in new game++.

wrestling-gif-8.gif

feels sooooo good!

Grimløck;187257858 said:
for bloodtinge builds, you really want the lost variants because of the circular gem imprints to maximize bloodtinge damage. well, the
bowblade
anyway. i don't think the
bloodletter
has a circular imprint.
Where can I find them?

Mutombo

i've seen a spreadsheet for blood gems, but is there a list of weapons with gems that are already tested? So you don't have to tinker half an hour but can just copy the most efficient use of gems?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
don't tell me where, but are there any in-world clues as to where the bell-ringer is in the Hamlet? I made it through the area and must have missed him.

edit: lol, nevermind

Top Bottom