• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
doesnt seem to work with it

Unfortunate. If I want to do ranged damage, all of my bullets are reserved only for Repeating Pistol only then.

Actually I am interested to know whether 10 fully BMA powered shots from Repeating Pistol can still produce more damage than 10 BMA powered Evelyn shots + 10 charged Bowblade shots... hmmmm.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
All three of the zones in this game are among the best in Bloodborne. Top-tier stuff.

valkyre

Finished the expansion saturday, got all trophies as well and 100% on everything.

A great expansion even if I feel that it is a tad bit overpriced. I also dont believe Miyazaki when he says that this is 2 expansions fussed into one.

This certainly feels like one expansion with a clear beginning and end.

A great expansion even if I feel that it is a tad bit overpriced. I also dont believe Miyazaki when he says that this is 2 expansions fussed into one.

First thing I thought after finishing the DLC yesterday. This should have been two expansions?
No, not really...

Akara

Banned
Finished the expansion saturday, got all trophies as well and 100% on everything.

I feel it, from the first expansion being
New Cathedral Ward up till Maria and second being Fishing Hamlet with Lawrence

I'm not sure, I feel like I got my money's worth :), currently tinkering with new bow build and ama arm. Sad that this is the last expansion, totally wanted a pure arc weapon that didn't make me look so ugly haha

myco666

I thought it felt like one and a half expansion.
First DLC is up to Maria and second DLC starts at Fishing Hamlet but it would have been either bigger area or there would have been a second area after it.
It still has pretty much third of the content when compared to main game so 20€/20$ is a fair price.

valkyre

Dont know guys, this felt more like 15 euros worth of content to me and perhaps 1.5 expansion like a friend above says.

I am not making a fuss over this though, I still enjoyed the hell out of this game and its a strong GOTY contender for me. By far the best PS4 exclusive this gen.

Mutombo

Dont know guys, this felt more like 15 euros worth of content to me and perhaps 1.5 expansion like a friend above says.

I am not making a fuss over this though, I still enjoyed the hell out of this game and its a strong GOTY contender for me. By far the best PS4 exclusive this gen.

I, and from what I've heard plenty of others, got a bit fatigued at the end of bloodborne with playing bloodborne.

In Dark Souls, after 40 hours, you still felt like you were just at the beginning of it. And you didn't want it to end, either.

In blood borne you pretty much ask for the end to come by the time you hit 2/3rds of the game. That's how I experienced it anyway.

The DLC for me takes this away. I wasn't that stoked at first, but I decided to buy it anyway because I pretty much bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, but it really kickstarted that feeling you get at the beginning of Bloodborne. I've already spent a whole sunday at the game, I'm at the 2nd boss now, I've done more in co-op than ever before, so that's a whole new experience for me too. I've pretty much soloed through every Souls game until now.

I can really recommend the DLC for anyone who's still on the fence because they got fatigued playing Bloodborne as well. I just wish you could have more time with the new weapons, instead of finding them near the end.

konjak

In Dark Souls, after 40 hours, you still felt like you were just at the beginning of it. And you didn't want it to end, either.

In blood borne you pretty much ask for the end to come by the time you hit 2/3rds of the game. That's how I experienced it anyway.

Just chiming in with the opposite opinion, and I haven't heard many thinking Bloodborne dragged on. I love the games, but I've never finished the DLC portion of Dark Souls because I had already spent 80 hours on one playthrough at that point, and couldn't take any more, hah. I did play all of the DLC in DS2, though, because they had unique level designs where the DS1 DLC felt more about only the bosses.

Bloodborne is short for me in comparison. I've played through it a bunch of times, before the DLC, because it feels so compact and satisfying. My favorite. And this DLC had more bosses and items than I expected.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The amount of a content in the Dark Souls 2 DLC versus the quality of what was there is kind of staggering, in hindsight.

myco666

I, and from what I've heard plenty of others, got a bit fatigued at the end of bloodborne with playing bloodborne.

I had the exact opposite experience. With Dark Souls I got the Lordvessel and stopped right there and didn't touch the game for months. I came back to it finished it and got the platinum trophy but after that I've barely touched the game. Pretty much the same with Dark Souls 2 but I had the pause between finishing the game and release of the DLC.

With Bloodborne, well I can't get enough of it. I have around 7-8 characters at the final boss and one NG++ character at the final boss and I will probably roll out a new character soon enough. I had hard time stop playing BB and try other games as I always just started BB to play for few minutes that turned into few hours everytime.

edit.
To be fair that Dark Souls 1 fatigue might have something to do with the fact that I've just had finished Demon's Souls before starting it.

MilkBeard

Its really hard to put a price on dlc with expansive content, as some people pay like $3 for a costume. In this sense, if you look at the sheer number of weapons, and the you factor in the area and bosses, it is a lot of content. 20 dollars for a finite amount of progression, but then you have really well designed weapons and transformations that alter the playstyle of the main game greatly.

Not only that but the design is top tier From Software stuff. In my opinion that alone makes it worth it.

Bloodborne is short for me in comparison. I've played through it a bunch of times, before the DLC, because it feels so compact and satisfying. My favorite. And this DLC had more bosses and items than I expected.

Bloodborne is definitely quick to go through and I feel like it's the shortest of the Souls series. There aren't any half finished Lost Izalith type levels and is quite compact as you say.

Regarding the DLC, it was well worth $20 as I was stuck on a couple bosses for a couple of hours heh

Styles

I've definitely got my money's worth. There's just something so meticulous about Bloodborne that I can't find in any of the games that I've played this year. Just moving in Bloodborne feels good.

valkyre

Its really hard to put a price on dlc with expansive content, as some people pay like $3 for a costume. In this sense, if you look at the sheer number of weapons, and the you factor in the area and bosses, it is a lot of content. 20 dollars for a finite amount of progression, but then you have really well designed weapons and transformations that alter the playstyle of the main game greatly.

Not only that but the design is top tier From Software stuff. In my opinion that alone makes it worth it.

While I dont necessarily disagree with the general point of your post, I do find the 3$ costumes a bad example.

We shouldnt be using such metrics, because if we apply the same on main game material also, then a developer could go out and claim things like: "hey some people charge 3$ for dlc costumes, and my main game has 30 different costumes for you to use. Hence maybe I should charge the game for a price of 100$".

That ofcourse cant happen right now, but I just want to point out that just because some people want to sell costumes/skins for 3$, that should not mean that it is a good practice. In fact it should be condemned. There is a truckload of overpriced DLC material out there and perhaps this has affected our judgment as to how much some things should actually worth.

All the above ofcourse arent in any way hinting that Old Hunters is a bad example of DLC or something, I just felt that it perhaps was a tad bit on the pricey side. Perhaps I was hyped that it was supposed to be 2 DLC packs, and I thought it was going to be quite lengthy content-wise, especially considering Souls games.

I think £15.99 is perfect .
So overall the dlc gives us:

The Old Hunters Locations:
The Hunter's Nightmare
Research Hall
Fishing Hamlet
Astral Clock Tower

The Old Hunters Bosses:
Ludwig, The Holy Blade
Orphan of Kos
Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
Living Failures
Laurence, the First Vicar

The Old Hunters NPCs:
Brador
Old Hunter Yamamura
Saint Adeline
Simon the Harrowed

The Old Hunters Items:

Caryll Runes
Guidance - Caryll Runes
Beast's Embrace - Covenants & Caryll Runes
Milkweed - Covenants & Caryll Runes
Consumables
Delayed Molotov
Delayed Rope Molotov

The Old Hunters Weapons:
Amygdalan Arm
Beasthunter Saif
Beast Cutter
Bloodletter
Boom Hammer
Church Pick
Holy Moonlight Sword
Kos Parasite
Rakuyo
Simon's Bowblade
Whirligig Saw

Firearms: (off-hand)
Church Cannon
Fist of Gratia
Gatling Gun
Piercing Rifle
Loch Shield

Hunter Tools:
Blacksky Eye
Accursed Brew

The Old Hunters Armor:
Butcher Set
Constable Set
Old Hunter Set
Decorative Old Hunter Set
Yamamura's Set
Maria Hunter Set
Harrowed Set
Brador's Set
Enlarged Head

Really awesome. I do agree it doesn't feel like 2 expansions together, more like one and a half. Bloodborne is the most I've played out of all the soulsborne's games.

I finally started this, and I'm deep in NPC shenanigans again.

I beat Ludwig, backtracked, met the Harrowed Hunter, talked to him, made the first choice, exhausted his dialogue options, teleported back to the Ludwig boss room, where he's supposed to appear next. Except he isn't there. I've quit the game and restarted, he still isn't there. Am I missing something?

I decided to go really slow with my last run of Bloodborne,
made a new character in preparation for the DLC, but this time my intentions were to observe the game's environment and level design.
I made a lot of discoveries I have not noticed before playing normally, instead of speeding through I'd clear an area and then go through each one with my trusty torch and monocle.
It really heightened the immersion and made me appreciate the game more.

Then I reached the top of the Astral Tower.

Seriously, I'm going to do this more often with all my games now.

Bloodborne is short for a Souls game but I thought it was just the right length. It's a simplified and streamlined Souls game, it makes sense for it to be shorter. In Dark Souls you have a very varied world, many different builds to try out, tons of gear and weapons, different types of magic, there are way more options to change your playstyle. You can be a magic caster, a melee or ranged fighter, an agile fast fighter, or a slow tank type character etc. Bloodborne, oth, is very „samey“, samey world design, not much gear, not many weapons, very little magic, thus it's easier to get fatigued if the game is too long IMO. I really had no desire to go back to the game after finishing it, since playing with different weapons doesn't feel all too different in this game. I did love this DLC though, much more than the base game. I went back and fought some of the bosses several times as a summon because I liked them so much.

I beat Ludwig, backtracked, met the Harrowed Hunter, talked to him, made the first choice, exhausted his dialogue options, teleported back to the Ludwig boss room, where he's supposed to appear next. Except he isn't there. I've quit the game and restarted, he still isn't there. Am I missing something?

He doesn't appear in Ludwig's room. He appears again at the next lamp.

myco666

He won't appear there at anypoint of the game. Once you hit the second boss he should appear next to fourth lamp.

edit. Beaten like the Beast Patients at start of the DLC.

Gbraga

Major spoilers for an optional boss. Not sure if glitch or waking world progression:

After I got Laurence's skull, I decided to go check on the Doll and Annalise (Gehrman is dead in this save file already), none of them gave me anything new, so I decided to go check the waking world's Grand Cathedral, just in case, before I went back to the sleeping Laurence in the first Grand Cathedral of the Hunter's Nightmare. To my surprise, his skull was interactible, so I pressed X, and it just played the same adage cutscene again, and now it's nighttime again. I can't seem to notice any difference. Is it a glitch, intended just to confirm you that Laurence's skull in the waking world is indeed Laurence or is there some waking world progression tied to the DLC, and I need it to be night time again in order to do it?

Anyone tested going back there as well after getting the skull? What about before that? Is it just downloading the DLC that triggers the cutscene again, and not having his skull in your inventory? I'm very confused now. I feel like I'll have to revisit every area in the game after I beat Laurence in the DLC.

By the way, I'm getting a loooot of playtime for my money, it's just to fun to pay attention to every detail and try to connect the little dots, analysing your environments and such, I'm still on my second boss fight, and I think I'm almost 20 hours into the DLC. Absolutely loving it.

My one disappointment (at least so far, maybe it'll change with more descriptions) is that
the lore on Ludwig is kinda lacking. Feels more like an excuse to give the player the Moonlight Greatsword than an actually fleshed out character like Artorias.

MilkBeard

He actually appears in front of the next area in the DLC. If you want the item, there are two ways I believe you can get it.

The DLC for me takes this away. I wasn't that stoked at first, but I decided to buy it anyway because I pretty much bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, but it really kickstarted that feeling you get at the beginning of Bloodborne. I've already spent a whole sunday at the game, I'm at the 2nd boss now, I've done more in co-op than ever before, so that's a whole new experience for me too. I've pretty much soloed through every Souls game until now.

I can really recommend the DLC for anyone who's still on the fence because they got fatigued playing Bloodborne as well. I just wish you could have more time with the new weapons, instead of finding them near the end.

Heh also the opposite for me. Completed DS one and a half times and then I was done. Great game but I had my fill.

Bloodborne I have completed 4 times now. I just love it. It feels so well designed. No filler and it all controls amazingly. I get kinda addicted to the game so I'm stopping now I have done all DLC trophies and wrapped up the platinum yesterday.

I've definitely got my money's worth. There's just something so meticulous about Bloodborne that I can't find in any of the games that I've played this year. Just moving in Bloodborne feels good.

Yeah its pretty funny as I'm playing DS2 for the first time and it controls terribly. Movement is just floaty and horrible and there are huge dead zones when trying to move in anything but a straight line. Where as in bloodborne the character controls so well and is super responsive to every little thing you do.

That and I have fought 7 bosses and they are all a joke to beat. I'm kinda bored by it to be honest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
He won't appear there at anypoint of the game. Once you hit the second boss he should appear next to fourth lamp.

edit. Beaten like the Beast Patients at start of the DLC.
He does appear in that room if you choose a dialogue option that prevents you from getting an item directly. He then provides said item.

MilkBeard

Major spoilers for an optional boss. Not sure if glitch or waking world progression:

After I got Laurence's skull, I decided to go check on the Doll and Annalise (Gehrman is dead in this save file already), none of them gave me anything new, so I decided to go check the waking world's Grand Cathedral, just in case, before I went back to the sleeping Laurence in the first Grand Cathedral of the Hunter's Nightmare. To my surprise, his skull was interactible, so I pressed X, and it just played the same adage cutscene again, and now it's nighttime again. I can't seem to notice any difference. Is it a glitch, intended just to confirm you that Laurence's skull in the waking world is indeed Laurence or is there some waking world progression tied to the DLC, and I need it to be night time again in order to do it?

Anyone tested going back there as well after getting the skull? What about before that? Is it just downloading the DLC that triggers the cutscene again, and not having his skull in your inventory? I'm very confused now. I feel like I'll have to revisit every area in the game after I beat Laurence in the DLC.

By the way, I'm getting a loooot of playtime for my money, it's just to fun to pay attention to every detail and try to connect the little dots, analysing your environments and such, I'm still on my second boss fight, and I think I'm almost 20 hours into the DLC. Absolutely loving it.

My one disappointment (at least so far, maybe it'll change with more descriptions) is that
the lore on Ludwig is kinda lacking. Feels more like an excuse to give the player the Moonlight Greatsword than an actually fleshed out character like Artorias.

As for the skull thing, I didn't get a new scene. Perhaps you never touched the altar in the first place? Seems like a glitch, maybe.
As for Ludwig, I think there is already a bit of Lore on him. He was the first Hunter of the Healing Church, who also crafted the weapons. There is also some speculation that LHB is actually the MLS in some way. And his dialog options after death are interesting. I thought it was a nice touch.

silva1991

Interesting I might check put grand cathedral next time I turn on my PS4.

also fuck
Ludwig
on skill builds characters.

Sayad

This happened to me with Dark Souls due to how awful the last third of the game is, on my second run, I just couldn't stand the game anymore after beating Ornstein and Smough. It's the only Souls game that I've yet to complete a NG+ run of.

Bloodborne's Chalice stuff was such a turn off after(and during) the first run too. But somehow I managed to pull through it with 3 different characters for the sake of gem farming.

Gbraga

As for the skull thing, I didn't get a new scene. Perhaps you never touched the altar in the first place? Seems like a glitch, maybe.
As for Ludwig, I think there is already a bit of Lore on him. He was the first Hunter of the Healing Church, who also crafted the weapons. There is also some speculation that LHB is actually the MLS in some way. And his dialog options after death are interesting. I thought it was a nice touch.

No way, I'm at the end of the game, just Moon Presence left to beat, I had to touch the skull to get the adage and get access to the Forbidden Woods.

About Ludwig, yeah, sure, but it's nothing compared to Artorias' story, his sacrifice to protect his friend, his legend only telling half the story, being taken by the Abyss and even the new Sif cutscene. Ludwig just wasn't anywhere near as much of a character as Artorias.

also fuck
Ludwig

Haha, fought him with my Skill character. It was definitely very challenging, but I loved it. And please check it, it'd be nice to know.

myco666

also fuck
Ludwig

I thought he was fine with my Reiterpallasch build. Might have been little bit overleved but still.

he gives you the Moonlight Great Sword if Ludwig doesn't

MLS
. I think From just wanted to make sure that you get the item no matter what option you chose.

Ahh nothing too interesting then. Will check it out on my next character.

Fighting
Ludwig
with +10 Moonlight Greatsword is awesome. Feels great to shoot the same glowing projectiles back at the boss, reminds me of fighting Ganon in Ocarina of Time. And the music is phenomenal. One of the best bosses in the entire series. The transition from phase one to phase two is so cool.

MilkBeard

No way, I'm at the end of the game, just Moon Presence left to beat, I had to touch the skull to get the adage and get access to the Forbidden Woods.

About Ludwig, yeah, sure, but it's nothing compared to Artorias' story, his sacrifice to protect his friend, his legend only telling half the story, being taken by the Abyss and even the new Sif cutscene. Ludwig just wasn't anywhere near as much of a character as Artorias.

Haha, fought him with my Skill character. It was definitely very challenging, but I loved it. And please check it, it'd be nice to know.

In some ways I understand, but I think the cutscene and dialogue was pretty telling of his character and seeing Ludwig go crazy and being attached to his creation, how he almost seemed really calm, but at the same time is really insane when you fight him; probably the most insane boss in the game in my opinion. I think there was a lot of character in those small touches. Especially when you talk to his head afterwards. There is a dialogue option where he asks you a question and I think this simple scene gives him a ton of character. But that's just how i see it. I didn't really feel that way about Artorias, although I didn't complete that DLC, I simply beat the boss himself. But that DLC was named as Artorias for a reason.

In fact, I would say that Ludwig has some of the most character I've seen displayed in an actual cutscene/interaction in the Souls games, in my opinion. Every other character I can think of is mostly lore, and when you fight them they are just crazy.

Despera

Banned

Killing Ludwig after he becomes an npc
will make
Simon
appear at that location and make a few very interesting comments.

It's not necessary for you to interact with
Simon
when he appears in this location to complete his side quest however.

Edit: Actually, he might appear at
Ludwig's head regardless of what you do if you reload that area before going into the research hall.

Show me your stats and what kind of build you have in mind

Is your vitality too low? Is your damage lacking? Just your level doesn't say much.

It's pretty tough in NG+. I've seen a suggested starting level of 130 mentioned a few times for the NG+ DLC, and to be honest that seems about right.

I am level 150 or thereabouts and I'm still finding it a lot harder than the vanilla game on NG+.

I think you need him for one of the weapons, which you need for a Gold Trophy. Did you get any loot?

Level 112
VIT 31
END 34
STR 31
SKL 37
BT 12
ARC 17

The only thing kinda saving my ass is 2handing the great sword... At least it staggers the hunters

Sayad

Level 112
VIT 31
END 34
STR 31
SKL 37
BT 12
ARC 17

The only thing kinda saving my ass is 2handing the great sword... At least it staggers the hunters
VIT is way too low, END too high and the lack of commitment to a single damage stat means your damage is low. Despite the level, your build is a bit under powered for NG+ DLC.

OK, let's talk my weapon options.

LVL 190. Primarily a SKL user (Threaded Cane) but willing to try out other options.
All my stats are at their soft caps except STR which is at 48/50 atm.
Currently upgraded the
Moonlight Sword
to +9 and Pizza Cutter(TM) to +6.
Would
Maria's weapon (Ryuko?)
be a good choice for SKL build? Any thoughts?

myco666

VIT is too low, END too high and the lack of commitment to a single damage stats means your damage is low. Despite the level, your build is definitely under powered or NG+ DLC.

Not really. I managed NG++ with 35 Str 30 Skill with +10 LHB just fine. Vit is way too low on that build though for NG+.

edit.
OK, let's talk my weapon options.

LVL 190. Primarily a SKL user (Threaded Cane) but willing to try out other options.
All my stats are at their soft caps except STR which is at 48/50 atm.
Currently upgraded the
Moonlight Sword
to +9 and Pizza Cutter(TM) to +6.
Would
Maria's weapon (Ryuko?)
be a good choice for SKL build? Any thoughts?

I would go for Church Pick over Rakuyo. It has less swag but the Church Pick moveset is way better.

Fighting
Ludwig
with +10 Moonlight Greatsword is awesome. Feels great to shoot the same glowing projectiles back at the boss, reminds me of fighting Ganon in Ocarina of Time. And the music is phenomenal. One of the best bosses in the entire series. The transition from phase one to phase two is so cool.

Ayyyy this music. I agree, this is one of the best boss fight I've done in a Souls game. I'm playing Dark Souls 2 now, and it feels so hollow... I hope Dark Souls 3 will have bosses at the same level as L
udwig
and M
aria

Top Bottom