• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

Wait what? Is this before or after Maria? Cause I don't think I got a key.

Before. Just explore it more thoroughly. I always just stumble upon it so can't really instruct you on how to get it. It is in one of the rooms on the left side of Research Hall when looking from the lamp.

edit.

Fuck M
aria's
got damn fire trails. Died to that bullshit on a perfect parry. Fuck this.

That is some bullshit I agree. Getting hit after parrying earliest possible moment is really dumb and I almost never get Viscerals because of it.

Before. Just explore it more thoroughly. I always just stumble upon it so can't really instruct you on how to get it. It is in one of the rooms on the left side of Research Hall when looking from the lamp.
Did you raise the stairs after getting it or can you still find it after raising the stairs? I don't even know if I can can even get to every room after raising the staircase. I like the level and hate it at the same time cause I've lost an ungodly amount of souls because I've fallen off of numerous staircases or fallen during combat on a stair case.

RiggyRob

I think you're in Central Pthumeru and not the Lower one. Lower should be Bloodletting Beast for the final boss, with Pthumerian Descendant being the final boss in the Central Pthumeru chalice. That fight was rough, wow, at least she won. Having the co op partner greatly helps cause at least the guy isn't fully focused on Pimmsey. Though I don't think every stage gets a co op partner for the boss though.

Right you are! Edited the description.

You're right, not every boss gets a co-op partner - Martyr Logarius was one of the hardest for her, but it was pretty epic IMO. That video's coming in a couple of days, I still have to upload Shadow of Yarnham where the NPC summons break the fight's difficulty in half (in thirds?).

You're right, not every boss gets a co-op partner - Martyr Logarius was one of the hardest for her, but it was pretty epic IMO. That video's coming in a couple of days, I still have to upload Shadow of Yarnham where the NPC summons break the fight's difficulty in half (in thirds?).
rom was made super easy if you summon the mensis guy

myco666

Did you raise the stairs after getting it or can you still find it after raising the stairs? I don't even know if I can can even get to every room after raising the staircase. I like the level and hate it at the same time cause I've lost an ungodly amount of souls because I've fallen off of numerous staircases or fallen during combat on a stair case.

You can get the key after raising the stairs and you should be able to get to every room even after raising the stairs. The area is just a freaking labyrinth where atleast I get lost really easily.

The underground cell key? After raising the staircase, go to through the shortcut on the elevator. You take the staircase from there to the floor with the key. You can actually see it inside the door.

Akara

Banned
Serious question for those who beat Ludwig
that guy banging on the gate, he's an NPC and I know he's important for something, I cooped with someone and it showed him as transparent (like most other NPCS that can't be hit by coopers that are important) HE HAS SOME IMPORTANCE, LET'S FIND OUT WHAT IT IS!!!!

The underground cell key? After raising the staircase, go to through the shortcut on the elevator. You take the staircase from there to the floor with the key. You can actually see it inside the door.
My god I need a video walkthrough of that demented hell hole. I have a love hate relationship with that place. I love the design and atmosphere, but hate walking though it cause of the severe fall hazard and hard hitting enemies.

Lower Pthumeru might be a bit rough. Granted Rom and Bloodletting Beast you get partners, but not for the first two. I don't remember what the first boss is, but the Undead Giant there is a patience trier. You really have to get good with managing your space around him because it's really easy to hit the end of the arena while trying to dodge. Luckily she's using the cane, whip form helps a lot and as long as she pays attention to the delay between attacks and attack pattern she should be reasonably ok. Though she shouldn't bother putting bolt papers on until she's get a really good grasp of the pattern and spacing.

Does anyone have any starategies for Darkbeast Paarl?

That boss is a shitshow of electric effects and aoe moves and seems almost impossible on NG+

Bait his claw attacks by staying in front of him approximately one dash-length away. From this position, he is likely to use three: a triple-swipe combo=, a delayed single slash, and a lunging slash telegraphed by him leaping forward. Your response to any of these attacks is to roll forward and smack his head once or twice. He'll very likely lower his head afterwards, which is your signal to run the hell away to avoid his AoE explosion. Then position yourself one dash-length away again and repeat the process.

If he doesn't use his AoE, then he might do a 180 degree spinning slash. Roll under this and continue smacking his head. He may also back away entirely without attacking, in which case re-position yourself and try again.

If he tries any other attack and you think you can punish him, go for it. Otherwise, play it safe.

The key here is to crumple-stun him. Once you do that, stay on top of him. Attack relentlessly, never retreat unless to heal. If he recharges, you'll have an opportunity to attack his legs and head for about 3-4 seconds. Take advantage of it to try and crumple-stun him again. Throw on Fire Paper and keep walloping him with the weapon of your choice.

In a perfect world, you'll be able to keep him in a weakened state for the remainder of the fight. Good luck, and if worse comes to worst, do feel free to summon. :)

Serious question for those who beat Ludwig
that guy banging on the gate, he's an NPC and I know he's important for something, I cooped with someone and it showed him as transparent (like most other NPCS that can't be hit by coopers that are important) HE HAS SOME IMPORTANCE, LET'S FIND OUT WHAT IT IS!!!!

He drops me 5 blood vials everytime I kill him. That's his importance, lol.

That makes him the only NPC type guy that actually respawns after death. (apart from the doll, but let's not count that. duh)

Auctopus

What's everyone's thoughts on the design of the Research Hall? That's my lasting memory of the DLC so far.

Great but I really struggled with the enemies which sort of dampened the experience for me. MF were a pointless boss and it should've gone Research Hall > Maria.

Manu

What's everyone's thoughts on the design of the Research Hall? That's my lasting memory of the DLC so far.

I loved it but I didn't like the green lamps.

They weren't on any of the released trailers or screenshots and I think the area looked better without them.

Akara

Banned
Great but I really struggled with the enemies which sort of dampened the experience for me. MF were a pointless boss and it should've gone Research Hall > Maria.

I struggled to with those enemies to the point I was just spamming blue elixir to avoid the F out of them since they were able to hit me faster then my threaded cane in whip form and it kept on bouncing off of walls @.@. Loved the design though, super eerie and creepy.

Amazing area that translates labrynthine level design to a vertical zone. It has a terrific horrifying atmosphere as well, a good NPC quest and some cool secret locations, and caps off with a great boss fight (after a mediocre but still kinda cool other boss fight). It's the high point of the DLC, and one of the best areas in the main game as well.

I'm not going to play BB again for a while but when I do I'll be going for Bloodtinge build. Anyone here has gone balls deep experimenting with the Gatling Gun? Is it viable in PVE over something like Evelyn?

"Lady Maria, I'm a robin..." Place is so damn creepy. I love it and hate it. Love the atmosphere, hate the enemies, hate falling off the stairs while fighting shit on them.

p3n

Finally got all but one DLC weapon to +10. Tested them in the chalice dungeons with BIS blood gems:

- MLGS is the new king, much more versatile than LHB
- Rakuyo is nice against groups of enemies but shit against bosses and big mobs, Chikage outperforms it by so much it isn't even funny
- The Whirligig L2 "one-shots" Rom (beast pellets, yo)
- Bowblade is utter crap (even against Amy's head), sad they nerfed it from ARC to BLT
- Boom Hammer has ridiculous AR (almost 1200!!!) but doesn't do any damage without L1 ignite, clunky because only charge R2 makes good use of the single hit ignite
- Saif is the better Saw Blade even without the hidden beast bonus, that moveset is sublime
- Amy Arm, Beast Cutter, Bloodletter and Church Pick are neither here nor there, they have way too limited move sets and don't excell in damage

Maybe I am missing some weird, unintended gem setup for some of the weapons (arcane Gun Spear says hi).

Now the only things left are the Beast Claws (with rune) and the Parasite (with rune)...then some PVP.

It scales to the NG level you're on, if you're having trouble with BSB, you're not going to have fun with the DLC bosses.

---

In other news, L
aurence
phase 2 might be the worst designed boss in Souls history. I love how he can decide nah, I'm going to keep doing this chasing ground pound until you either run out of stamina or places to run. Not.

*PRO TIP

DON'T.TRY.TO.RUN.AWAY

I learned this the hard way, but you can perfectly evade the chasing attack, by strafing in circles to your left. Like seriously, I was doing that (running away) and it always ended on a painful death, decided to have luck with strafing and killed him right away, in second phase you have to keep it as close as phase one. You will still have to dash around a few of his attacks but is a much better tactic.

It contains L
ady Maria
, it's GOAT-tier.

- Rakuyo is nice against groups of enemies but shit against bosses and big mobs, Chikage outperforms it by so much it isn't even funny

Does that depend on Bloodtinge?

*PRO TIP

DON'T.TRY.TO.RUN.AWAY

I learned this the hard way, but you can perfectly evade the chasing attack, by strafing in circles to your left. Like seriously, I was doing that (running away) and it always ended on a painful death, decided to have luck with strafing and killed him right away, in second phase you have to keep it as close as phase one. You will still have to dash around a few of his attacks but is a much better tactic.

I shall incorporate your advice into my strategy, thanks!

I thought I was ready for the DLC... but maybe not. I'm going through a lot of blood vials each time I have to face regular enemies in the first area, like the boomhammer hunters and the big axe-wielding tentacle man that opens the grand cathedral gate. My character:

Level 93, not ng+
VIT 30
END 20
STR 10
SKL 50
BLD 25
ARC 8

Chikage +6 (waiting for the DLC weapons to spend my bloodstone chunks on)
-Phys ATK +18%
-Phys ATK + 12.1%
-Add phys ATK + 6.9
-ATK + 9.1%

Should I proceed some more in the main game (currently at nightmare of mensis or upper cathedral ward) or just get good? I'd like to start the DLC as early as possible so I have some time to play with the DLC weapons in the regular game too, but... it's tough out there.

ScribbleD

Since some people might not be aware, hopefully a few folks will find this random tip helpful: you take increased damage outside of the i-frames of a roll or dash. So if you're spamming to evade instead of carefully timing your dodges, you might be doing yourself much more harm than good.

Okay, so I'm coming up on 50 SKL soon and I'm wondering where to dump points next, Arcane or BT?

Are there any useful/good weapons or reasons to start going into Arcane on a skill character? Or should I just go BT to take advantage of Simon's Bow and Chikage (which I never got around to use previously)

dralla

Finally got all but one DLC weapon to +10. Tested them in the chalice dungeons with BIS blood gems:

- Bowblade is utter crap (even against Amy's head), sad they nerfed it from ARC to BLT
- Boom Hammer has ridiculous AR (almost 1200!!!) but doesn't do any damage without L1 ignite, clunky because only charge R2 makes good use of the single hit ignite
- Saif is the better Saw Blade even without the hidden beast bonus, that moveset is sublime
- Amy Arm, Beast Cutter, Bloodletter and Church Pick are neither here nor there, they have way too limited move sets and don't excell in damage

Maybe I am missing some weird, unintended gem setup for some of the weapons (arcane Gun Spear says hi).

Now the only things left are the Beast Claws (with rune) and the Parasite (with rune)...then some PVP.

How are you getting so much blood rock? I'm assuming chalice. The DLC weapons are all worthless to me because I can't get them to +10 which is what I need since I'm on NG++. Which is such a bummer as I'd really to try some of them out.

Okay, so I'm coming up on 50 SKL soon and I'm wondering where to dump points next, Arcane or BT?

Are there any useful/good weapons or reasons to start going into Arcane on a skill character? Or should I just go BT to take advantage of Simon's Bow and Chikage (which I never got around to use previously)

Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade, scales (lightly) with ARC and the bowblade with BT, since the later seems to suck I recommend going ARC, because you get a couple of very useful items to use on battle with just 15 ARC.

Aside from that, all SKL weapons in the DLC are pure SKL weapons, so is a matter of preference really.

IMO unless you plan to go 50 BT and use a Chikage, I'd say pump some points into ARC.

What is the best strength build weapon in the DLC? I have a limited number of shards and want to know which one to dump them in. Also, unless there is a blood rock in the DLC I'll only be getting one more for this character so I need to pick my last +10 weapon.

What is the best strength build weapon in the DLC? I have a limited number of shards and want to know which one to dump them in. Also, unless there is a blood rock in the DLC I'll only be getting one more for this character so I need to pick my last +10 weapon.

There is a blood rock in the last zone

fastmower

I think the Chikage is only better if you are a BT build.

There's a blood rock in the DLC.

I have yet to get around using my STR character, but I saw the Whirligig destroy several bosses and looks fun too.

Dynedom

That is some bullshit I agree. Getting hit after parrying earliest possible moment is really dumb and I almost never get Viscerals because of it.

I can deal with the added range (even though that's also dumb) but that flicker of damage is BS. You're right too: I got knocked back from about 2 viscerals because of that.

Top Bottom