• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Here's what worked for me in phase 2: Keep your distance and keep dodging back to avoid the swipes. The arena is shaped like a rectangle, so make him chase you up one edge, and then turn to the other edge and keep going around. The only time you can safely attack is when he decides to spew his lava breath, and that's when you should quickly strafe/dodge over to his right (your left) and unleash a single charged R2 attack. Just keep that up, and you should be able to take him down with minimal risk.

Oh, and try to equip some HP runes so he can't one shot you, that way you're allowed to make some mistakes while keeping your distance. Just don't get greedy and stick to the plan.

I don't think there's a legit way to cheese him, but he's very susceptible to parries (in both forms) so you can try learning the timing for those.

Interestingly enough, I gave up charge r2ing him when he did the lava because I always got vacuumed in and the lava annihilated me. Will try again.

Edzi

Interestingly enough, I gave up charge r2ing him when he did the lava because I always got vacuumed in and the lava annihilated me. Will try again.

You've gotta make sure you're at his side, and not next to his face. After a couple tries, you should get used to which spot is safe.

ike_

Try it yourself rather than go by an opinion. I think it slaps the hell out of the BoM. So I would make your own judgement.

For a skill/arcane build it seems like it's better than the
Church Pick
. I need an adult.
Y46KySF.png

I dont know if it is because I haven't played for a long time, or if boss scaling is wonky if you're in NG+. I've been stuck on Ludwig for 2 days now. Are all the bosses 2 hit wonders? Do you literally have to play perfectly?

The pizza cutter hands down. S scaling with strength, D in skill and B in arcane. Its L2 is so great against the dlc bosses

You should be fine, honestly. Just parry the Hunters and take it slow. I'm was in NG+ at 140 and had a hard time too. I would recommend you just upgraded your Chikage to at least 9 as you can farm Chunks and you'll get a decent amount in the DLC.

You can also farm gems from the Winter Lantern frenzy beasts in the DLC. There's a spot nearby a lantern where two are. Chalice Dungeons are pretty long and boring if you explore everywhere.

You should really be fine with those stats. Your Vit may cause you some problems, but don't be afraid - just go see how it is.

Thanks, I'll just have to toughen up. And yeah, chalice dungeons do sound tedious, so I've been avoiding them in my playthroughs.

Thanks, I'll just have to toughen up. And yeah, chalice dungeons do sound tedious, so I've been avoiding them in my playthroughs.

I listened to podcasts while playing the dungeons which made them kinda fun. I mean they aren't THAT bad, it's just a lot of the same stuff over and over again and most of the loot you get is to make the next Depth chalice.

drotahorror

Wish I had the desire to number crunch, min/max, and try different builds in this game. The PVP sucks imo and there is no end game for me. The PVE of course is great, but like most PVE content, I really only want to see it once and only have to do it again if there's a need for the end game.

p3n

Personally I think chalice dungeons are like a PvE playground extension of the game. They are a place to enjoy the gameplay, the mechanics and the encounters in a pure way.

I just wish there was a way to skip depth 1 and 2 dungeons because they are just boring and unnecessary.

Vitor711

Soul Level 160 - On NG++

Am I underlevelled for the DLC? I got my ass handed to me by BSB on the start of NG++ so am sort of worried. Amelia also wasn't taking much damage from my +10 Holy Blade.

Most mobs I can deal with in the DLC but the bosses seem like they're above me.

myco666

I dont know if it is because I haven't played for a long time, or if boss scaling is wonky if you're in NG+. I've been stuck on Ludwig for 2 days now. Are all the bosses 2 hit wonders? Do you literally have to play perfectly?

That is how most bosses are on NG+ even on regular game. You might want to get your Vit up so you can take more hits.

Finally got all but one DLC weapon to +10. Tested them in the chalice dungeons with BIS blood gems:

- MLGS is the new king, much more versatile than LHB
- Rakuyo is nice against groups of enemies but shit against bosses and big mobs, Chikage outperforms it by so much it isn't even funny
- The Whirligig L2 "one-shots" Rom (beast pellets, yo)
- Bowblade is utter crap (even against Amy's head), sad they nerfed it from ARC to BLT
- Boom Hammer has ridiculous AR (almost 1200!!!) but doesn't do any damage without L1 ignite, clunky because only charge R2 makes good use of the single hit ignite
- Saif is the better Saw Blade even without the hidden beast bonus, that moveset is sublime
- Amy Arm, Beast Cutter, Bloodletter and Church Pick are neither here nor there, they have way too limited move sets and don't excell in damage

Maybe I am missing some weird, unintended gem setup for some of the weapons (arcane Gun Spear says hi).

Now the only things left are the Beast Claws (with rune) and the Parasite (with rune)...then some PVP.

*shrugs*

I think Bloodletter and Church Pick are best weapons in the DLC. Also I don't like Bowblade but isn't the damage better in a sense that you are not dependant on BMA and can shoot pretty infinitely and do more damage than Evelyn or RP?

I wasn't in NG+ but I frequently got two shotted by Ludwig. I've barely touched the optional boss but it seems like From just decided to put the toughest main boss of the DLC as the first one. The next two are cakewalks comparatively, and the last one is tough, but nowhere near as tough as Ludwig.

Ellite25

I still can't beat Ludwig. Been stuck on him for a few days. Even with 2 co-op partners we can't win. This is getting to the point where it isn't even fun anymore, and I'm a huge fan of Bloodborne and the Souls games.

I still can't beat Ludwig. Been stuck on him for a few days. Even with 2 co-op partners we can't win. This is getting to the point where it isn't even fun anymore, and I'm a huge fan of Bloodborne and the Souls games.

Just stay back and be selective with your strikes while your 2 other cooperates do most of the work.

That is how most bosses are on NG+ even on regular game. You might want to get your Vit up so you can take more hits.

I have 30 points into Vit. How many more am I supposed to have? I think I'm done. DLC bosses feel cheap. I can go play other things and come back later maybe.

Neoweee

What NG/+ are you on, and how much Vitality do you have?

I have 30 points into Vit. How many more am I supposed to have? I think I'm done. DLC bosses feel cheap. I can go play other things and come back later maybe.

Vitality is the best and most important stat in the game by a giant margin. Point-for-point at is better than any similarly-leveled stat.

Honestly, it is essentially Bloodborne's closest mechanic to a difficulty slider. The higher it goes, the easier it gets, and even at 50+, it can still have a meaningful impact (I mostly crushed the Defiled chalice, for example, because I could take hits without dying).

Ellite25

Just stay back and be selective with your strikes while your 2 other cooperates do most of the work.

The only problem is they generally die before me leaving him with a ton of health. And the one time me and a partner were near the end he used that area attack with his sword and it insta killed me when I had full health. A lot of it just seems unfair.

Edzi

Your Vit is way too low. Max it out to around 50 and you should be good to go.

Though I was still getting one shotted by the DLC bosses at 50 Vit in NG+++. I had to equip all three HP+ runes and get my HP to 2000 to survive.

Neoweee

NG+, Vit 27

Yeah, that is very, very low.

I try to have more than that before NG Rom.

Vitality also makes your potions stronger, so you use less of them, which snowballs into more levels because you have to buy them less often.

Oh, and Vitality helps with your hidden encumbrance stat, which influences stamina regeneration.

The game is Vitalityborne. 80% of all remarks about difficulty can be fixed with more vitality.

Do Burial Blade and BoM scale with Arcane without using gems that change it to entirely arcane? Like do both SKL and ARC bump up the damage?

Ferr986

NG+, Vit 27

that VIT is too low for that fight. I had 50 on NG++ and fucker could two-three shot me.

If you want I can help you co-op it.

Do Burial Blade and BoM scale with Arcane without using gems that change it to entirely arcane? Like do both SKL and ARC bump up the damage?

I think the ARC scale only works on the quickstep attacks, and , atleast on the Burial Blade, the scaling is low, not much noticeable.

The only problem is they generally die before me leaving him with a ton of health. And the one time me and a partner were near the end he used that area attack with his sword and it insta killed me when I had full health. A lot of it just seems unfair.

Use the health runes and the damage reduction one. It appears your vitality is way too low especially for NG+. His 2nd form is easier to predict and Dodge imo. You van tell when he's going to do his AoE sword thing when he looks dumb and charges it. Also, never use NPC hunters.

Ellite25

that VIT is too low for that fight. I had 50 on NG++ and fucker could two-three shot me.

If you want I can help you co-op it.

Welp. It's gonna take me forever to level that up lol

I'll definitely take some help. I can set a password of GAFHUNT right now

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol, encouraging him to be a leech?

A few days ago I was helping randoms with some bosses, and one time fighting
Laurence
, I swear I was doing all the work while they just stood back and watched, occasionally throwing in a hit or two. It was pretty hard because the boss had extra defense from the 3 players, and a little annoying, lol.

Then later they invited me to their party chat. It was two friends who were playing the game together. And they were all amazed at the "insane damage" of my whirligig saw (which was only at +9 then) and asked me tons of questions about my weapon, my build, etc. And begged me for more help, so I obliged them. I don't mind helping others, but I just found it weird how they had no problem me being OP and doing all the work (I wasn't that OP, I could still die pretty easily after all; I was about level 100 but they were kind of underpowered at level 70 I think). I feel like that'd ruin the game for me. I even asked them if I should nerf myself with a weaker weapon or something and they screamed "NOOO PLEASE STAY" lol...

dan2026

I think I am starting to get sick of this game.

Been smashing my head into a wall trying to beat that **** Rom in the chalice dungeon.
Got him down to 5% once by pure luck. Then died.

I am sick of this unfair shit.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Yes but IIRC the arcane scaling of B on the burial blade is garbagio and the D scaling in STR provides more AR so I wouldn't increase arcane by much just for that weapon.

myco666

You should have 40-50Vit. They really aren't cheap they are just actually hard. All moves are well telegraphed but they are fast and high damaging.

No, I'm encouraging him to do his best to stay alive cause I'm tired of hosts playing far too aggressive and dying. I'm here to help you, not the other way around and there's a difference between being a leech and being smart. No need for the condescension.

Would also like to mention that what you've experienced seems to be in the far minority, or at least in my experience of the DLC.

A few days ago I was helping randoms with some bosses, and one time fighting
Laurence
, I swear I was doing all the work while they just stood back and watched, occasionally throwing in a hit or two. It was pretty hard because the boss had extra defense from the 3 players, and a little annoying, lol.

I had that too against
Laurence
, This one person just stood back and did jack shit the whole fight, I finished him all by myself on what must have been NG++ or higher, but that was pretty dickish yeah. That said, I don't mind it much that the beckoner is more reserved than the summon(s), but not like that.

Akara

Banned
I think I am starting to get sick of this game.

Been smashing my head into a wall trying to beat that **** Rom in the chalice dungeon.
Got him down to 5% once by pure luck. Then died.

I am sick of this unfair shit.

Some strategies that might be of use for you.

Kill the spiders first and unload on Rom for the first time after, (Rom will just sit there being all cute and shiz)

Second round do the same but be aware of Rom now casting spells and hitting.

Ignore spiders and kill it.

Other strategy, avoid spiders outright and just keep wailing on rom. Both strategies worked for me. The strategy I just mentioned though is RISKY AF but fast.

Afrocious

Don't most? I mean, isn't that the only way to get those 27,something % damage bonuses? At least cursed ones are the only ones I've seen that do that so far, I might be wrong. But I always use them at least.

Other folks second this opinion - to use cursed gems?

p3n

*shrugs*

I think Bloodletter and Church Pick are best weapons in the DLC. Also I don't like Bowblade but isn't the damage better in a sense that you are not dependant on BMA and can shoot pretty infinitely and do more damage than Evelyn or RP?

I think the Church Pick's 1H R1 spam is not very fun and the 2H R1 feels like weaker DPS than 1H mode. The Bloodletter's spammy 2H R1 is cool but you get punished just like with the speed ramp up of BoM. I can imagine the Bloodletter performing great in PVP because of the speed and range it provides if used correctly. But for PVE/Chalice runs? I think there are better options except for pure SKL builds where I would choose Church Pick over everything else.

Also none of these weapons are "bad". They just don't stand out compared to the rest. I still managed to clear a R/F/C Ihyll dungeon with Bow Blade alone (not as a ranged replacement) so even the "utter crap" part works only in context to what other DLC weapons bring to the table in the form of varied move sets or damage output in real boss fights.

There is no other way. Cursed gems with "good" negatives are the way to go (+stamina, -weapon durability if your weapon can take it).

Just beat
Ludwig
in NG+ SL150, first try: I chugged all of my 20 vials though, trying to learn all his moves.

Great boss fight, looking forward to the rest. DLC is amazing so far.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Everyone uses CERTAIN cursed gems because the negative isn't bad enough to counter the damage increase you get. Things like atk vs Kin down or the minor increase in stamina use aren't that bad.

dan2026

Some strategies that might be of use for you.

Kill the spiders first and unload on Rom for the first time after, (Rom will just sit there being all cute and shiz)

Second round do the same but be aware of Rom now casting spells and hitting.

Ignore spiders and kill it.

Other strategy, avoid spiders outright and just keep wailing on rom. Both strategies worked for me. The strategy I just mentioned though is RISKY AF but fast.

Thanks tried of that and its just pure dumb luck.
There are so many spiders you can barely move.
Rom is just spamming aoe attacks constantly.

Its stupid, unfair and unfun. I have spent the last 5 hours trying to kill one boss. What am I doing with my life?

Akara

Banned
Thanks tried of that and its just pure dumb luck.
There are so many spiders you can barely move.
Rom is just spamming aoe attacks constantly.

Its stupid, unfair and unfun. I have spent the last 5 hours trying to kill one boss. What am I doing with my life?

I'll help you in half an hour, my Rosmarinus + 10 with BMA and 99 arcane would like a word with rom

Afrocious

Everyone uses CERTAIN cursed gems because the negative isn't bad enough to counter the damage increase you get. Things like atk vs Kin down or the minor increase in stamina use aren't that bad.

I see. I should check out what cursed gems I have then. I've been ignoring them lol.

Also, I'm guessing it goes without saying I should avoid using gems that drain health or make weapons break.

Ferr986

Grimløck;187326159 said:
ok. i've played through this game multiple times now, and i still don't understand exactly how to trigger some of eileen's quest.

First meet her at Yarham, then meet her at Cathedral Ward after opening the big gate of the plaza (the one that you can open with the badge), then kill Henryk before red moon, and at last, Chikage hunter after red moon.

Fucking finally!!!! lol

Thanks dude! Guess I just needed a solid co-op partner for a change.

you're welcome :) Gafhunt to the rescue!

Top Bottom