• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Arjen

Hello everyone, I'm trying to reach the DLC and I can't get by the blood-starved beast. I get it down to quarter health and it's fucking impossible. I'm in NG+

First off, I go in with plenty of antidotes and lots of fire paper for my Ludwig's Holy Blade, which is +9. I'm also wearing my most slow poison-resistant armor.

I summon Alfred AND someone online to help and they still go down.

Do the oil jugs help when my blade is on fire? Any other tips? Lots of visceral attacks?

What the hell do I do? I think I've lost 300,000 blood echoes fighting this fuck.

I know all of you are deep into the Old Hunters, I want to get there really badly. Sorry.

Bsb is optional if you have the emblem to open the gate to amelia which you can buy at the messenger bath.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to reach the DLC and I can't get by the blood-starved beast. I get it down to quarter health and it's fucking impossible. I'm in NG+

First off, I go in with plenty of antidotes and lots of fire paper for my Ludwig's Holy Blade, which is +9. I'm also wearing my most slow poison-resistant armor.

I summon Alfred AND someone online to help and they still go down.

Do the oil jugs help when my blade is on fire? Any other tips? Lots of visceral attacks?

What the hell do I do? I think I've lost 300,000 blood echoes fighting this fuck.

I know all of you are deep into the Old Hunters, I want to get there really badly. Sorry.

Pungent Blood Cocktails will help take some of the heat of you for a bit. I used them during the last phase when it's poison was all over the place and took the time to heal and use an antidote. If Alfred is still alive at that point, he'll also distract it.

Very nice. What NG cycle is this on? I wonder if I can cheese him with BT 40... on NG. It's a fun fight though, the more I do it the more I start to enjoy it. Still haven't gotten him lower than 50% on NG+3 solo. It's a test of patience and serious dodging skills.

Man you kicked Ludwig's ass with the pizza cutter. That weapon really tempts me to make a strength build.

It's such a fun weapon. Before the DLC I thought it'd be way too slow and heavy for my liking but it's definitely my favorite out of the new weapons I've played around with (enough to make a judgement) so far. Love the running R2 attack.

It's such a fun weapon. Before the DLC I thought it'd be way too slow and heavy for my liking but it's definitely my favorite out of the new weapons I've played around with (enough to make a judgement) so far. Love the running R2 attack.
The only new weapons I've used so far have been the beast hunter Saif, which I really don't like the moveset of and MLGS, which for some odd reason I just don't use. I have it a +7 and it seems to hit hard, but at the same time it's just too slow to me. When you're using the cane and BoM everything seems to slow and the weapon seems to eat up stamina. I can't see myself using it on Maria I know that much.

Not sure that will help you. Those hunters felt about the same as a lvl 150 on NG+++ with crap gems as it did on my alt doing it on NG with a +10 cane.

All hunter can be beaten with a mix of gun parrying and dodging behind as they attack and countering.

What gems are you rocking?

Here is my spec:

main:
+10 ludwig sword with tempering blood gem 16 (physical atk up +19.5%), nourishing damp blood gem 13 (atk up +15%), tempering damp blood gem 14 (physical atk up +18%)
+9 ludwig rifle with tear blood gem 8 (hp continues to recover +2)

my second:
+10 beast claw with tempering blood gem 14 (physical atk up +12.6%, boost rally potential +2.3%), cursed tempering blood gem 14 (physical atk up +19.8%, atk vs kin down -9.3%), cursed tempering damp blood gem (physical atk up +19.8%, atk vs beasts down -9.3%)
+9 rosmarinus

my runes:
Great Lake, all dmg reduction 4%
Clockwise Metamorphosis, boost max hp10%
Great Deep Sea, resist all +100
Impurity rune

stats:
Vit 50
End 46
Str 50
Skill 50
Bloodtinge 14
Arcane 36

Attire I change based on fight coming up. I favor Cainhurst, Bone Ash and White Choir though.

Anything I can change to make my loadout better, I'm open to any suggestions.

Jinaar

CVE2mZFVAAIvb0W.jpg:large
Done. Time to party.

I was just thinking I'd get wrecked in the DLC. Don't you need to be at a high level to stand a chance or does it scale to your level?

It scales to the NG level you're on, if you're having trouble with BSB, you're not going to have fun with the DLC bosses.

---

In other news, L
aurence
phase 2 might be the worst designed boss in Souls history. I love how he can decide nah, I'm going to keep doing this chasing ground pound until you either run out of stamina or places to run. Not.

myco666

Man you kicked Ludwig's ass with the pizza cutter. That weapon really tempts me to make a strength build.

Str weapons in this DLC are all pretty great. Still need to try out Boom Hammer.

Very nice. What NG cycle is this on? I wonder if I can cheese him with BT 40... on NG. It's a fun fight though, the more I do it the more I start to enjoy it. Still haven't gotten him lower than 50% on NG+3 solo. It's a test of patience and serious dodging skills.

Just NG. Don't know how well that method works on NG+ and beyond but in NG it is really viable way of killing him. I would assume 40 BT is enough to get decent damage out of it. I really hate that fight. Mostly because the stupid OHK and AoEs all over the place. Camera doesn't really help either.

Okay helping people at the first boss is really annoying. Just got summoned five times in a row only to see host getting hit by the jumping attack and dying immediately everytime.

Manu

It scales to the NG level you're on, if you're having trouble with BSB, you're not going to have fun with the DLC bosses.

---

In other news, L
aurence
phase 2 might be the worst designed boss in Souls history. I love how he can decide nah, I'm going to keep doing this chasing ground pound until you either run out of stamina or places to run. Not.

The problem with that phase is the fucking camera. Sometimes he'll get close to you and you can't dodge because you can't see shit.

"Okay, I'm doing fine, I can do thi-- OH GOD NO WHAT IS THIS I CAN'T MOVE THERE'S FIRE AND FUR EVERYWHERE AAAAAAAAAA"

Von Koz

Neo Member
I'm on NG++ Level 201 and the optional boss is tearing me apart. I must have tried almost 40 times by now. Even with Vatr as my companion I can't get past his second form. It seems like Vatr stops healing himself at that point.

Str weapons in this DLC are all pretty great. Still need to try out Boom Hammer.
I want to try to boom hammer as well. I mean my NG++ character has like 35 strength but I'll be fucked using new weapons at that difficulty. I'll stick with my +10 chikage and cane. Same is happening with my NG character though. I just stick with my cane and BoM. I experimented with the MLGS at +7, but it moves too slow for my liking. I mean it's not bad at all, but I need something faster.

komorebi

After playing up to the 2nd area of the DLC I'm reminded how unbelievable this game is. Its far and away my favorite PS4 game, my GOTY (possibly GOTG), and has officially edged out DS1 as best 'Souls' game for me. Its just so good! I can play it over and over and never get tired of it.

CHC

Honestly I think the opening area of Bloodborne is one of the most challenging opening areas of a Souls game. I'd call myself a Souls-veteran and even I struggled a bit when I rolled out a new character in Yharnam for the first time.

I would agree. It's mostly hard just because of what you're working with - scarce resources, weak weapons, and many many foes. For veterans, it presents the additional challenge of breaking old habits as well. The Bloodborne playstyle is somewhat different: faster, riskier, and more aggressive.

So I'm guessing nothing beats LHB. But I hate always using that, what are some other favorites (old or new)? I started using the Beasthunter Saif yesterday and really like the moveset. But I could only get it to +7 which is pretty rough in NG+. I'm looking forward to getting the Bowblade as well.

What are some non Ludwig weapons that people have been successful with? (No blades of Mercy either)

So I'm guessing nothing beats LHB. But I hate always using that, what are some other favorites (old or new)? I started using the Beasthunter Saif yesterday and really like the moveset. But I could only get it to +7 which is pretty rough in NG+. I'm looking forward to getting the Bowblade as well.

What are some non Ludwig weapons that people have been successful with? (No blades of Mercy either)

Rakuyo. Whirligig Saw. Reiterpallasch. Burial Blade.

myco666

I want to try to boom hammer as well. I mean my NG++ character has like 35 strength but I'll be fucked using new weapons at that difficulty. I'll stick with my +10 chikage and cane. Same is happening with my NG character though. I just stick with my cane and BoM. I experimented with the MLGS at +7, but it moves too slow for my liking. I mean it's not bad at all, but I need something faster.

Go get Church Pick. That is really fast and great weapon. MLGS is slow but the damage is really good with high Str and high Arc and shooting magic projectiles is really fun.

Everything beats LHB. From old weapons I prefer Logarius' Wheel and Kirkhammer the most. DLC weapons all seem to be really really good though Bowblade is boring to use. Need to test weapons more to form final opinion but at the moment Bloodletter has been by far my favorite weapon.

HORRORSHØW

before the DLC hit, i never used ludwig's holy blade. i mainly stuck with the stake driver and kirk hammer on my strength character, and the old chikage and evelyn combo on my bloodtinge character.

after the DLC, i really love the moonlight sword in its 1h state. the R2 thrust is quick and deadly. the church pick is awesome, too.

i started another new character and got to the DLC area and picked up the whirligig and beast cutter pretty early so i'm rocking those for now. can't beat ludwig to get the other weapons.

there are so many other weapons i need to toy around with. the only weapon i haven't (couldn't) use was the bloodletter.

the thing that really sucks is you have to redo all the chalices with subsequent new characters if you want the best gems.

Naite

I like the boom hammer but I find little use for it when the saw does more damage more quickly, you have to reignite the hammer everytime, and half the hammer's R2 attacks have such a long recovery time before you can dodge that you'll often end up taking a hit afterwards.

The running R2 attack is great for the larger bosses though. Hit them in the head for visceral attacks. Done it against Laurence and Blood letting beast.

Normal R2 is really good for PvE too. Enemies don't know how to handle it and walk right into the flame.

YES! I beat first boss!

I had extreme difficulties with dodging his at attacks first, but then I tried the same tactic I use with Darkbeast Paarl: charge right in between his legs and spam away with my Blade of Mercy. I will take some hits when he does his "hey someone is under me" -attacks, but they are far less dangerous than his normal attacks.

I one-shot him once I got to phase two, even though I did spend all of my health potions + even one Iosefka's health potion. Phase 2 attacks were telegraphed a lot better and I could time my dodges easier, even if his combos were longer.

A great boss.

myco666

I like the boom hammer but I find little use for it when the saw does more damage more quickly, you have to reignite the hammer everytime, and half the hammer's R2 attacks have such a long recovery time before you can dodge that you'll often end up taking a hit afterwards.

The running R2 attack is great for the larger bosses though. Hit them in the head for visceral attacks. Done it against Laurence and Blood letting beast.

Normal R2 is really good for PvE too. Enemies don't know how to handle it and walk right into the flame.

Can't you use transform attack to reignite it while doing same damage? Kinda like how you use Tonitrus. Also does it scale with Arc also?

I wish there was a way to farm Blood Rocks

Ehh I think 2 is fine considering the low amount of weapons. Chunks could be easier to farm though even if you get a lot of them in Chalices now.

Here is my spec:

main:
+10 ludwig sword with tempering blood gem 16 (physical atk up +19.5%), nourishing damp blood gem 13 (atk up +15%), tempering damp blood gem 14 (physical atk up +18%)
+9 ludwig rifle with tear blood gem 8 (hp continues to recover +2)

my second:
+10 beast claw with tempering blood gem 14 (physical atk up +12.6%, boost rally potential +2.3%), cursed tempering blood gem 14 (physical atk up +19.8%, atk vs kin down -9.3%), cursed tempering damp blood gem (physical atk up +19.8%, atk vs beasts down -9.3%)
+9 rosmarinus

my runes:
Great Lake, all dmg reduction 4%
Clockwise Metamorphosis, boost max hp10%
Great Deep Sea, resist all +100
Impurity rune

stats:
Vit 50
End 46
Str 50
Skill 50
Bloodtinge 14
Arcane 36

Attire I change based on fight coming up. I favor Cainhurst, Bone Ash and White Choir though.

Anything I can change to make my loadout better, I'm open to any suggestions.

With that set up you will prob find it easier on your NG++ char than NG I would say.

My NG+++ char was lvl 151 with worse gems in a kirkhammer +10 (gems were 20, 9, 16.5). I think my damage output was about the same (% of health to boss per hit wise) but he dealt a bit more damage so I had to ace my dodge game more compared to my NG char.

With your set up you should do way better damage per hit than an NG char unless you take him through the whole game and grind for gems before doing it. My NG char was at end game but did no gem hunting so just had what I found in base game (I think it was two 12% and one 6% gems).

After playing up to the 2nd area of the DLC I'm reminded how unbelievable this game is. Its far and away my favorite PS4 game, my GOTY (possibly GOTG), and has officially edged out DS1 as best 'Souls' game for me. Its just so good! I can play it over and over and never get tired of it.

You are me, mate.

I even bought that limited edition Hunter statue for way too much money.

It must be real love.

RiggyRob

Episode 5, Pimmsy vs Pthumerian Descendant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Wp8QyjLrA

He's quite a challenging boss, even if you're overlevelled, simply because he's so aggressive and in your face. I think Pimmsy struggles with aggressive humanoid bosses since she keeps shooting them at the wrong time in the hope it'll stagger them, but she managed to pull through with the Descendant.

It would've been nice to have done a super-cut of the first few Chalice Dungeon bosses since they can be done pretty quickly, but unfortunately it just didn't turn out that way.

Having Tomb Prospector Olek as a summon for the Chalice Dungeons is a real blessing, and my Arcane character could even just leave him to deal with the dungeon itself and heal him with the Choir Bell as needed.

Naite

Can't you use transform attack to reignite it while doing same damage? Kinda like how you use Tonitrus. Also does it scale with Arc also?
I think it's a C with arcane. I currently use an uncanny version and put 2 cursed physical gems and one of the new abyssal heavy gems. One running or jumping R2 usually does 90-100% against most enemies in my playthrough and the transform attack does reignite. I usually use that as my combo, but again that recovery of that R2 attacks makes me eat an attack before or during the 2nd attack.

Go get Church Pick. That is really fast and great weapon. MLGS is slow but the damage is really good with high Str and high Arc and shooting magic projectiles is really fun.
Which impossible boss do I have to kill to get access to that weapon? MLGS is powerful and stat wise it out damages my higher ranked weapons at 18 str and 42 skill with I think 32 or 33 arcane. I think I'm just worried about getting hit while I'm busy winding up the next swing with it. Doesn't seem like a good boss weapon. I'm looking forward to getting Rakuyo though.

dan2026

Does anyone have any starategies for Darkbeast Paarl?

That boss is a shitshow of electric effects and aoe moves and seems almost impossible on NG+

Dame

I'm new to bloodborne and added my name to the spreadsheet. I was wondering if there was anyone willing to start a new game with me and basically babysit. I'm great in souls games with allies, but solo I tend to get crushed late-game. My schedule is flexible.

Episode 5, Pimmsy vs Pthumerian Descendant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Wp8QyjLrA

He's quite a challenging boss, even if you're overlevelled, simply because he's so aggressive and in your face. I think Pimmsy struggles with aggressive humanoid bosses since she keeps shooting them at the wrong time in the hope it'll stagger them, but she managed to pull through with the Descendant.

It would've been nice to have done a super-cut of the first few Chalice Dungeon bosses since they can be done pretty quickly, but unfortunately it just didn't turn out that way.

Having Tomb Prospector Olek as a summon for the Chalice Dungeons is a real blessing, and my Arcane character could even just leave him to deal with the dungeon itself and heal him with the Choir Bell as needed.
I think you're in Central Pthumeru and not the Lower one. Lower should be Bloodletting Beast for the final boss, with Pthumerian Descendant being the final boss in the Central Pthumeru chalice. That fight was rough, wow, at least she won. Having the co op partner greatly helps cause at least the guy isn't fully focused on Pimmsey. Though I don't think every stage gets a co op partner for the boss though.

myco666

I think it's a C with arcane. I currently use an uncanny version and put 2 cursed physical gems and one of the new abyssal heavy gems. One running or jumping R2 usually does 90-100% against most enemies in my playthrough and the transform attack does reignite. I usually use that as my combo, but again that recovery of that R2 attacks makes me eat an attack before or during the 2nd attack.

Shame that it has long recovery. Need to still try it myself though.

Which impossible boss do I have to kill to get access to that weapon? MLGS is powerful and stat wise it out damages my higher ranked weapons at 18 str and 42 skill with I think 32 or 33 arcane. I think I'm just worried about getting hit while I'm busy winding up the next swing with it. Doesn't seem like a good boss weapon. I'm looking forward to getting Rakuyo though.

You get a cell key from Research Hall that opens a cell that has a hunter you need to kill to get it.

Grimløck;187302426 said:
that's awesome! i think the only boss i've beaten on my first try through my first dlc run were the living failures lol. they're hardly a boss, tho.

I killed them at my second try, "that" attack destroyed me XD

Jin

The Beasthunter Saif is my favorite weapon next to the Whirligig Saw. That forward leap you do most of the time catches enemies off guard and follow that up with 2-3 hits then leap out has work wonders. It's like LHB stab but you can follow that up with multi hits that can stun lock people.

Does anyone have any starategies for Darkbeast Paarl?

That boss is a shitshow of electric effects and aoe moves and seems almost impossible on NG+

Don't lock on. That will get you kill. I just dodge towards him and try to stand under him whacking at its legs.

HORRORSHØW

i did some quick, rudimentary testing between a regular bowblade and the lost version. the only difference between the two was the circular imprint.

i just used the R2 charge attack in the bow state.

lost version damage was 1224
regular version damage was 629

also, not the best gems.

Top Bottom