• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Afrocious

Finally got all but one DLC weapon to +10. Tested them in the chalice dungeons with BIS blood gems:

- MLGS is the new king, much more versatile than LHB
- Rakuyo is nice against groups of enemies but shit against bosses and big mobs, Chikage outperforms it by so much it isn't even funny
- The Whirligig L2 "one-shots" Rom (beast pellets, yo)
- Bowblade is utter crap (even against Amy's head), sad they nerfed it from ARC to BLT
- Boom Hammer has ridiculous AR (almost 1200!!!) but doesn't do any damage without L1 ignite, clunky because only charge R2 makes good use of the single hit ignite
- Saif is the better Saw Blade even without the hidden beast bonus, that moveset is sublime
- Amy Arm, Beast Cutter, Bloodletter and Church Pick are neither here nor there, they have way too limited move sets and don't excell in damage

Maybe I am missing some weird, unintended gem setup for some of the weapons (arcane Gun Spear says hi).

Now the only things left are the Beast Claws (with rune) and the Parasite (with rune)...then some PVP.

Good post. Thanks for your work.

p3n

Does that depend on Bloodtinge?

Blood attack only applies to transform mode of the Chikage but since the blood damage is ~125 higher than it's physical (S scaling) that helps. Also rapid poison works on most bosses (like bleed in Dark Souls 1).

The Rakuyo version that
Lady Maria
is using would have been much more interesting. Maybe even have it be a blood weapon or a fire weapon depending on gems. But they didn't go for something that interesting here :(

This makes me sad since I'm loving it.

Those of us with skill builds got shafted by the expansion huh.

Pure skill builds are kind of limited to Rakuyo and Church Pick. Both perfectly usable, though. I was using the Bow Blade on my last few cursed/fetid/rotten Amy kills as a back-up for Burial Blade since charged R2 damage is only slightly below a +10 bone marrow ash-ed Evelyn. Just to save me from restocking the ash after every run. You have to decide if that is worth the 16 chunks and one rock.

ike_

Still haven't beaten it yet. The first few bosses weren't bad
4/1/2 attempts respectively
, but those goddamn
murlocs
in that goddamn
well
took like 8 tries. Still pretty salty and heated, but I kind of loved it. Time to see if it is worth swapping +10 blades of mercy for the
Rakuyo

Manu

Pure skill builds are kind of limited to Rakuyo and Church Pick. Both perfectly usable, though. I was using the Bow Blade on my last few cursed/fetid/rotten Amy kills as a back-up for Burial Blade since charged R2 damage is only slightly below a +10 bone marrow ash-ed Evelyn. Just to save me from restocking the ash after every run. You have to decide if that is worth the 16 chunks and one rock.

Well, a bit late for that since I've already upgraded it to +10.

Guess I'll drop some points into Bloodtinge.

The Rakuyo version that
Lady Maria
is using would have been much more interesting. Maybe even have it be a blood weapon or a fire weapon depending on gems. But they didn't go for something that interesting here :(

The Rakuyo is interesting because it's NOT a blood weapon with an HP drain bullshit gimmick. So sick of every katana that's special in From games being based around the "cursed Muramasa swords" thing.

I think it's great and gladly gave up on the Chikage for it, even though I did really like the draw slash functions of Chikage.

- Bowblade is utter crap (even against Amy's head), sad they nerfed it from ARC to BLT

Don't agree with that at all. For ranged attacks, it's the best weapon out there. It changes the game entirely at times. Essentially you're safe to just endlessly kite nearly any boss save for some with some insane gap closers. But damage wise, Evelyn doesn't stand up to it even if you take bone marrow ash into consideration, nor does something like the canon due to its huge bullet consumption. Each standard shot does more damage than any other one bullet type ranged weapon, each charged shot isn't far removed from a BMA empowered Evelyn, but you have to keep into account that you only get 10 BMA shots on any gun, whereas with the bowblade you can just keep firing as long as you have bullets/vials.

Although I would say it's a supplementary weapon alongside a good close ranged weapon, but regardless, it can be a real game changer imo.

p3n

How many blood rock can we get from chalice in 1 NG?

You get 1 from each different "setting" (Pthumeru, Loran, Isz) only once. Advancing to the next NG doesn't reset that. You can "farm" them in Depth 5 dungeons. I get one every 4-6 Amy kills in R/F/C Isz dungeons. No ideaif item discovery helps here or not.

As long you keep making chalices that contains blood rocks? Until you're tired of it.

Hmm I don't know. I did the same chalice twice to loot the blood rock in a chest, but it was replace by a great one's wisdom.

You get 1 from each different "setting" (Pthumeru, Loran, Isz) only once. Advancing to the next NG doesn't reset that. You can "farm" them in Depth 5 dungeons. I get one every 4-6 Amy kills in R/F/C Isz dungeons. No ideaif item discovery helps here or not.

Alright, thanks

Yeah... Circling L
aurence
just meant he left me trapped in a circle of lava... then did his stompy hands of doom when I really had nowhere to go.

Fuck.

Phase.

Two.

p3n

Although I would say it's a supplementary weapon alongside a good close ranged weapon, but regardless, it can be a real game changer imo.

Yup. That is exactly how I've been using it lately. As soon as I am done with the rune weapons I will push the "Lost Bow Blade" I got to +10. It has a circle gem slot so you can get a 33.3% blood damage gem in there. Just need to farm 2 out-of-shape bloodtinge gems. This will be pain.

3x 27.2% physical gems give the normal Bow Blade a x2.05 boost in blood damage.
3x 31% - 33% blood damage gems add a x2.25 - x2.35 boost so it is probably worth testing...potentially pushing it above 700AR

For STR builds, is Whirligig superior to Kirk? What about the Amy arm? I really enjoy the moveset for Kirk as an all-purpose weapon, as both the longsword and hammer modes are viable. However, the "club" for Whirli seems underpowered and fairly bland.

Whirligig seems like a better "burst" weapon where you have the potential to abuse large openings for more damage. Kirk -- however -- can create those openings with its stagger and smash. They both seem pretty viable depending on the circumstance, despite everyone singing praises for the whirli

(fwiw Whirli and Kirk were both +9 as I compared them; stealhy "what should I +10?" post)

Wagram

Yeah... Circling L
aurence
just meant he left me trapped in a circle of lava... then did his stompy hands of doom when I really had nowhere to go.

Fuck.

Phase.

Two.

Half of my deaths in that fight were being corned into a wall and then immediate death by camera. Great fight, but that camera was a mess at times for me.

BeeDog

So, I read somewhere, can't recall where, that the frenzy brains near the final DLC boss are supposedly excellent sources for some of the best gems in the game.

Is this true, does anyone have any experience farming them? If yes, what are the drop rates? Growing bored of Fallout 4 at the moment and might spend some time with Bloodborne again.

HORRORSHØW

Yup. That is exactly how I've been using it lately. As soon as I am done with the rune weapons I will push the "Lost Bow Blade" I got to +10. It has a circle gem slot so you can get a 33.3% blood damage gem in there. Just need to farm 2 out-of-shape bloodtinge gems. This will be pain.

3x 31% - 33% blood damage gems add a x2.25 - x2.35 boost so it is probably worth testing...potentially pushing it above 700AR

Grimløck;187305453 said:
i did some quick, rudimentary testing between a regular bowblade and the lost version. the only difference between the two was the circular imprint.

i just used the R2 charge attack in the bow state.

lost version damage was 1224
regular version damage was 629

also, not the best gems.
both at +10. not the best physical gems. bloodtinge gem was 30% i believe.

the highest bloodtinge gem is 31.5% i believe, not 33%

I have the Lost Bowblade to +10. I'll check my gem to see what I got for a BT boost

Afrocious

So, I read somewhere, can't recall where, that the frenzy brains near the final DLC boss are supposedly excellent sources for some of the best gems in the game.

Is this true, does anyone have any experience farming them? If yes, what are the drop rates? Growing bored of Fallout 4 at the moment and might spend some time with Bloodborne again.

^Seconding this question. I've gotten some high level cursed gems from them, but do people honestly sport cursed weapons?

Without even trying to farm them, I very quickly and easily got 3 blood gems that had around 22% ATK and 2.8~3% stamina increase

The stamina increase is literally no penalty at all, I can't even see a difference with three of them stacked, and they boosted my damage immensely

BeeDog

Without even trying to farm them, I very quickly and easily got 3 blood gems that had around 22% ATK and 2.8~3% stamina increase

The stamina increase is literally no penalty at all, I can't even see a difference with three of them stacked, and they boosted my damage immensely

Good to know, thanks. Yeah, stamina-increasing gems barely make a dent, so rooting I get some of those.

^Seconding this question. I've gotten some high level cursed gems from them, but do people honestly sport cursed weapons?

Don't most? I mean, isn't that the only way to get those 27,something % damage bonuses? At least cursed ones are the only ones I've seen that do that so far, I might be wrong. But I always use them at least.

p3n

Grimløck;187317822 said:
both at +10. not the best physical gems. bloodtinge gem was 30% i believe.

the highest bloodtinge gem is 31.5% i believe, not 33%

Interesting. I'll go get another rock and upgrade the Lost BB to +10 and try it with the mix of physical and the one BLT gem. Although stacking gems should always give better results than splitting.

33% gems are rank 19 and can only be found on layer bosses (rare drop). I got one with 3.3% stamina increase malus in my Evelyn ;)

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Screw Laurence, the First Vicar. I'm not progressing at all on this fight. It really feels unfair.
(NG+, Level 144). I beat the other bosses on my own though. I don't get it.

I'm going after Kos now.

12304429_10207887801571566_1326142415246451551_o.jpg

tumblr_mollm68cgg1rpp2fco4_400.gif

Fhtagn

I made a video showing how to farm them very quickly. They drop a lot of +20.5% phys attack gems, with a variety of downsides.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6KxXpMcGg

If you don't have enough frenzy resist, you can add a sedative into this loop to avoid the frenzy; they drop enough echoes to buy sedatives to make the loop endless.

DukeBobby

Finished.

Beat
Orphan of Kos
on my fifth attempt, which wasn't too bad. It wasn't as difficult as I was lead to believe, although I had to use 18 vials in its second form as I just swung my weapon wildly and hoped for the best. All tactics went out the window at that point.

p3n

Grimløck;187319361 said:
oh man. the grind sounds unbearable lol.

Yeah going with 31% is the sane way. Just like you would never farm Rom for 19.7% nourishing abyssal radials but instead go for the 19.3% gargoyle gems, right?
I did farm Rom...

spliced

Dang I only just found out how to get
brain fluid
long after I killed the thing asking for it. I'm excited to find out what it does my next time through.

Edzi

Yeah... Circling L
aurence

Fuck.

Phase.

Two.

Here's what worked for me in phase 2: Keep your distance and keep dodging back to avoid the swipes. The arena is shaped like a rectangle, so make him chase you up one edge, and then turn to the other edge and keep going around. The only time you can safely attack is when he decides to spew his lava breath, and that's when you should quickly strafe/dodge over to his right (your left) and unleash a single charged R2 attack. Just keep that up, and you should be able to take him down with minimal risk.

Oh, and try to equip some HP runes so he can't one shot you, that way you're allowed to make some mistakes while keeping your distance. Just don't get greedy and stick to the plan.

Getting spanked by ook ... Need some tips to cheese this mother!

I don't think there's a legit way to cheese him, but he's very susceptible to parries (in both forms) so you can try learning the timing for those.

Just beat the 3rd boss last night(first try!). How much content is left? I'm loving the dlc and hate the thought that it might be a few years til a sequel with more fresh content :(

I think people should look at weapons not as "how much dmg they can do" but rather "how fun they are". As much as I love my chikake, rakuyo is several times more fun to use.

I thought I was ready for the DLC... but maybe not. I'm going through a lot of blood vials each time I have to face regular enemies in the first area, like the boomhammer hunters and the big axe-wielding tentacle man that opens the grand cathedral gate. My character:

Level 93, not ng+
VIT 30
END 20
STR 10
SKL 50
BLD 25
ARC 8

Chikage +6 (waiting for the DLC weapons to spend my bloodstone chunks on)
-Phys ATK +18%
-Phys ATK + 12.1%
-Add phys ATK + 6.9
-ATK + 9.1%

Should I proceed some more in the main game (currently at nightmare of mensis or upper cathedral ward) or do I just need to get good? I'd like to start the DLC as early as possible so I have some time to play with the DLC weapons in the regular game too, but... it's tough out there.

Halp. Alternatively, should I try to learn how to chalice dungeon and get some good blood gems? I need to wrap my head around them eventually because I want the uncanny version of the B
easthunter
S
aif

What is the best strength build weapon in the DLC? I have a limited number of shards and want to know which one to dump them in. Also, unless there is a blood rock in the DLC I'll only be getting one more for this character so I need to pick my last +10 weapon.

The pizza cutter hands down. S scaling with strength, D in skill and B in arcane. Its L2 is so great against the dlc bosses

You should be fine, honestly. Just parry the Hunters and take it slow. I'm was in NG+ at 140 and had a hard time too. I would recommend you just upgraded your Chikage to at least 9 as you can farm Chunks and you'll get a decent amount in the DLC.

You can also farm gems from the Winter Lantern frenzy beasts in the DLC. There's a spot nearby a lantern where two are. Chalice Dungeons are pretty long and boring if you explore everywhere.

Top Bottom