• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

DukeBobby

Just beat
Laurance
after a few attempts. Definitely the easiest boss after LFs in the DLC (he wouldn't even be a harder boss in the base game). Idk why people had so much trouble with him.

Now just the fucking well.

It took me about 15 tries to beat him, yet I cleared the well on my first attempt.

It's funny how this game works, isn't it?

Edzi

Just beat
Laurance
after a few attempts. Definitely the easiest boss after LFs in the DLC (he wouldn't even be a harder boss in the base game). Idk why people had so much trouble with him.

Now just the fucking well.

I'm guessing you were on NG or NG+? He has insane amounts of HP in NG+++ and can easily one shot you in both forms. It's understandable why so many have trouble with him.

Hmmm... It seems like my
Living Failures
fight isn't triggering. I just grabbed the new tool and killed all the common enemies and now all is quiet.

Do I have to kill
Maria
first?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue? I gave the brain fluid as seen in the video in question but received no key...

This happens the after the second brain fluid.

Hmmm... It seems like my
Living Failures
fight isn't triggering. I just grabbed the new tool and killed all the common enemies and now all is quiet.

Do I have to kill
Maria
first?

Huh? You can't fight her without beating LF first.

CHC

Fuck Laurence. But more importantly....

Fuck the fact that he is a recycled boss in a recycled room. That is the lamest, most disappointing trash ending of the expansion that I could imagine. One of the most talked about characters in all the lore and he's just a fire version of the first boss in the game. Really bad.

spliced

I was fooling around in the first area and I love that the big guy at the top of the stairs will go after lots of enemies and visa-versa. I had the bell lady close by and I got him to kill her, I also lured him down more stairs and got that shooting hunter to kill him lol.

It took me about 15 tries to beat him, yet I cleared the well on my first attempt.

It's funny how this game works, isn't it?

It's not funny because I hate this well so so so much 😭😭😭

I'm guessing you were on NG or NG+? He has insane amounts of HP in NG+++ and can easily one shot you in both forms. It's understandable why so many have trouble with him.

Ah gotcha, I'm on NG. Still wouldnt the other bosses be comparatively harder on NG+++ as well though? Most of his attacks in his first two forms will miss if you just hang out in his crotch, and then the last form you just roll past the swipes get a hit and and roll away from the lava and recoup.

Fuck Laurence. But more importantly....

Fuck the fact that he is a recycled boss in a recycled room. That is the lamest, most disappointing trash ending of the expansion that I could imagine. One of the most talked about characters in all the lore and he's just a fire version of the first boss in the game. Really bad.
Isn't he supposed to be the first Cleric Beast? Makes sense then that he's a variation. And his second form is completely new.

p3n

Imru’ al-Qays;187328577 said:
Not sure I agree with some of these. MLS doesn't have a quick form, unlike LHB, so I'm not sure how you can call it the more versatile of the two.

And the Rakuyo and the Chikage aren't really comparable weapons, in spite of the fact that they're both katanas. The Chikage is an explicitly overpowered weapon in PvE: a 50-bloodtinge Chikage will outdamage every other weapon in the game at comparable levels of stat investment, not just the Rakuyo. The real question is: how does the Rakuyo compare to other skill weapons at 50 skill? Specifically the Blade of Mercy, Burial Blade, Reiterpallasch, Threaded Cane, Rifle Spear, Beasthunter Saif.

Church Pick seems like the quickest halberd-style weapon in the game at the moment, and it should at least outdamage the Burial Blade, which is its only (much slower, less stamina-efficient) skill competition.

2H R1s are weaker DPS than 1H R1s pretty much across the board. The advantage of the two-handed form (especially for halberds) is single-strike damage and range, not DPS. Compare to the Hunter Axe and Burial Blade, which both do more DPS in 1H form than in 2H form.

Church Pick actually works best with a skill quality build as opposed to a pure skill build, due to its relatively high strength scaling.

I think the ML(G)S doesn't need a fast "spam" form. The non-transformed R2 poke is plenty fast and outdamages most 2/3hit combos of other weapons. Non-transformed charge R2 with follow up R2 is north of 4000 damage in super short time with 1st hit stagger and 2nd hit scoop. Let's not start on the transformed L2. It is a very safe, almost cheesy, weapon to use in PVE. It is only lacking in terms of overhead strikes as the only reliable way to pull them off is jump attacks.

Burial Blade, Church Pick and Saif are what I consider quality weapons because of the added strength scaling compared to the pure skill scaling weapons or the skill/bloodtinge range combo weapons (spear, reiterpallasch). I just think there is not much to choose from for pure SKL builds and Church Pick should perform better than Burial Blade for pure builds (no split damage).

Also my Burial Blade (718AR) handily outdamages the Church Pick (700AR) in their respective move sets. Church Pick 2H R1 and Burial 2H L2 are comparable but Burial has way more range and also does more damage per hit. So in typical boss fight scenarios I found myself dealing more damage with Burial Blade.

Grimløck;187305453 said:
i did some quick, rudimentary testing between a regular bowblade and the lost version. the only difference between the two was the circular imprint.

i just used the R2 charge attack in the bow state.

lost version damage was 1224
regular version damage was 629

also, not the best gems.

I couldn't replicate this :( I got another rock to upgrade the Lost version and it does more damage as expected:

regular version charge R2: 744 (3x 27.2% physical)
lost version charge R2: 837 (2x 27.2% physical + 1x 33% blood)
Evelyn w/ BMA: 816 (1x 33% blood)
Tested on sitting ravens at the great bridge lamp to not accidently get counter hits.

- just nowhere nere 1k or even 1224. Well, at least this way it outdamages Evelyn which makes this slot open for pure parry weapons again.

Blood damage and physical damage are multiplicative. I was dumb because I should've known that they would be because physical gems affect blood damage.

Auctopus

I'll post some more thoughts on the DLC tomorrow but seeing as we're talking about him, I really liked Laurence's second form 'cause it reminded me of Quelaag.

Ferr986

Weird, some NPCS don't have a lot of vials like Alfred the Queen Killer has very little. Do you have enough arcane for choir bell? Lol

Ah, forgot about the bell, gonna try it later.

I think the ML(G)S doesn't need a fast "spam" form. The non-transformed R2 poke is plenty fast and outdamages most 2/3hit combos of other weapons. Non-transformed charge R2 with follow up R2 is north of 4000 damage in super short time with 1st hit stagger and 2nd hit scoop. Let's not start on the transformed L2. It is a very safe, almost cheesy, weapon to use in PVE. It is only lacking in terms of overhead strikes as the only reliable way to pull them off is jump attacks.

I really think I'm missing something about the MLGS.

The transformed L2 poke is basically the same as the regular Ludwig's one but even at 40STR/35ARC (still leveling) it does less damage than Ludwig one with 25STR/50SKL. I guess at 50 ARC it will do more damage but I can't see doing that much more, unless it gets an insane bump at +40 ARC

And then there's the regular attacks that deals less damage than a Ludwig (the ARC scale is pretty shitty for regular R1s IMO). The only good think about the weapon is if you try to connect the R2 combo hitting both sword and beam, that's devastating for sure, but that's pretty much it. Right now, regular Ludwig seems better while requiring less stats.

As I said I'm still leveling my MLGS build so i may be totally wrong, it's just what I'm seeing right now.

You might be right about that. I started using the Moonlight Sword on a strength build and reverted to the Whirligig Saw since I found it better for stunlocking humanoid enemies (NPC hunters, Maria, murlocs, etc). But I might just not have been using the Moonlight Sword's moveset to the fullest.

Burial Blade, Church Pick and Saif are what I consider quality weapons because of the added strength scaling compared to the pure skill scaling weapons or the skill/bloodtinge range combo weapons (spear, reiterpallasch). I just think there is not much to choose from for pure SKL builds and Church Pick should perform better than Burial Blade for pure builds (no split damage).

The Church Pick is mathematically a quality weapon in that it's more efficient to level strength to 25 before leveling skill to 50. The Burial Blade and Beasthunter Saif are pure skill weapons in that you'll only want to start leveling strength after you've hit 50 skill. They're not "pure" skill in the sense of the Blade of Mercy or Rakuyo, which have literally zero strength scaling, I'll grant you.

Also my Burial Blade (718AR) handily outdamages the Church Pick (700AR) in their respective move sets. Church Pick 2H R1 and Burial 2H L2 are comparable but Burial has way more range and also does more damage per hit. So in typical boss fight scenarios I found myself dealing more damage with Burial Blade.

But the Church Pick 2H R1 is a lot faster than the Burial 2H L2. How about the Burial Blade's 2H R1? The Church Pick's R1 seems considerably faster and more stamina efficient to me.

I'd be surprised if a Burial Blade with 718 AR was outdamaging a Church Pick at 700 AR, since at least 60 of the Burial Blade's AR is going to be arcane damage.

In some ways I understand, but I think the cutscene and dialogue was pretty telling of his character and seeing Ludwig go crazy and being attached to his creation, how he almost seemed really calm, but at the same time is really insane when you fight him; probably the most insane boss in the game in my opinion. I think there was a lot of character in those small touches. Especially when you talk to his head afterwards. There is a dialogue option where he asks you a question and I think this simple scene gives him a ton of character. But that's just how i see it. I didn't really feel that way about Artorias, although I didn't complete that DLC, I simply beat the boss himself. But that DLC was named as Artorias for a reason.

In fact, I would say that Ludwig has some of the most character I've seen displayed in an actual cutscene/interaction in the Souls games, in my opinion. Every other character I can think of is mostly lore, and when you fight them they are just crazy.

Design wise is by far one of the best bosses souls games have to offer, a awesome intro, and awesome mid phase and an amazing presentation. Kick like a horse, literally, its like a hardcore welcome to the DLC.

But damm it doest explain why is he fused with a horse and a church experiment being a nod for the alien in The Thing, is he a Ghoul? because he is not drinking the blood but keeping those bodies on that chapel. so was he was a tomb prospector before the healing church but damm, whats going on in him. The sword save him partyally to be a completelly beast but the horse, what the deal with the horse and the other guy body.

The Sword shines, helping him which is truly an amazing moment when you see Ludwing face recover his sanity and fights you with his might, he deserved to be the last boss of the DLC, like it was like a wasted opportunity, again to develop a more coherent narrative for Ludwing.

Isn't he supposed to be the first Cleric Beast? Makes sense then that he's a variation. And his second form is completely new.

Yes, he was the first but it doesnt explain the fire stuff since the beasts uses electricity in a higer form, maybe he is super werewolves phase 2 or being influenced by the phumerian blood/old blood

Despera

Banned
Laurence
's rehashed design is definitely a disappointment, especially considering how much care has been put into the designs of
Ludwig
Orphan of Kos
and
Maria

One of the most important characters lore-wise and the one I thought they'd base the DLC around (same as Artorias from DaS1) surely deserved better treatment.

aly

Design wise is by far one of the best bosses souls games have to offer, a awesome intro, and awesome mid phase and an amazing presentation. Kick like a horse, literally, its like a hardcore welcome to the DLC.

But damm it doest explain why is he fused with a horse and a church experiment being a nod for the alien in The Thing, is he a Ghoul? because he is not drinking the blood but keeping those bodies on that chapel. so was he was a tomb prospector before the healing church but damm, whats going on in him. The sword save him partyally to be a completelly beast but the horse, what the deal with the horse and the other guy body.

The Sword shines, helping him which is truly an amazing moment when you see Ludwing face recover his sanity and fights you with his might, he deserved to be the last boss of the DLC, like it was like a wasted opportunity, again to develop a more coherent narrative for Ludwing.

Really I felt like we know enough about Ludwig and his position to make the fight feel important without going overboard. Like not every little thing needs to be explained and some of those things we can sort of come to our own conclusions about. Like the horse situation points to him either using horses during beast hunts or maybe take it to show how grotesque someone as noble as him looks when turned into a beast. Fun speculation on why people turn into the beasts they do, although we already know the situation with clerics.

Being the last boss would make no sense either, since he was at most the beginning gatekeeper to the important stuff going on in the Church. Most likely he did'nt know the darker details

Speaking of the rehash, I'm alright with it and I feel like it makes sense from a lore perspective, especially when thinking of the generic name that the original fight had.

HORRORSHØW

I couldn't replicate this :( I got another rock to upgrade the Lost version and it does more damage as expected:

regular version charge R2: 744 (3x 27.2% physical)
lost version charge R2: 837 (2x 27.2% physical + 1x 33% blood)
Evelyn w/ BMA: 816 (1x 33% blood)
Tested on sitting ravens at the great bridge lamp to not accidently get counter hits.

- just nowhere nere 1k or even 1224. Well, at least this way it outdamages Evelyn which makes this slot open for pure parry weapons again.

Blood damage and physical damage are multiplicative. I was dumb because I should've known that they would be because physical gems affect blood damage.
CVGNmY5XIAAeQRj.jpg:medium

i was probably getting counter hits then. i dunno. i just wanted to test real quickly.

and i can't test on the ravens because my gems are ATT vs beasts DOWN -17%

and here's a shot of the normal version for good measure:
CVGPeINWIAAR7zW.jpg:medium

Yes, he was the first but it doesnt explain the fire stuff since the beasts uses electricity in a higer form, maybe he is super werewolves phase 2 or being influenced by the phumerian blood/old blood
Maybe he just imbibed much more blood than anyone else on top of the knowledge he gained.

p3n

I really think I'm missing something about the MLGS.

The transformed L2 poke is basically the same as the regular Ludwig's one but even at 40STR/35ARC (still leveling) it does less damage than Ludwig one with 25STR/50SKL. I guess at 50 ARC it will do more damage but I can't see doing that much more, unless it gets an insane bump at +40 ARC

And then there's the regular attacks that deals less damage than a Ludwig (the ARC scale is pretty shitty for regular R1s IMO). The only good think about the weapon is if you try to connect the R2 combo hitting both sword and beam, that's devastating for sure, but that's pretty much it. Right now, regular Ludwig seems better while requiring less stats.

As I said I'm still leveling my MLGS build so i may be totally wrong, it's just what I'm seeing right now.

My test character has 50/50/50 STR/SKL/ARC. My first MLGS tests were at 25 ARC at which point physical gems outperformed everything else. At 50 ARC I switched to all nourishing gems which slightly reduced 1H dmg (only by about 50 damage per charge R2) but added a SHITLOAD of damage to the transformed attacks that use bullets. Double 2H charge R2 combo into L1 does 6000 damage on Watchers in R/F/C depth 5 Ihyll. The L2 poke counter damage is 2000+. This weapon is insane! And I say that after throwing it into my stash after I first got it because I was so disappointed in the moveset before really trying it properly.

Imru’ al-Qays;187340553 said:
The Church Pick is mathematically a quality weapon in that it's more efficient to level strength to 25 before leveling skill to 50. The Burial Blade and Beasthunter Saif are pure skill weapons in that you'll only want to start leveling strength after you've hit 50 skill. They're not "pure" skill in the sense of the Blade of Mercy or Rakuyo, which have literally zero strength scaling, I'll grant you.

Gotcha. The 0 - 25 - 50 - 99 scaling breakpoints in BB are so weird. I just stuck to using everything that is better than E scaling and actually affects damage on the weapon so I always considered D/B and D/A "quality".

But the Church Pick 2H R1 is a lot faster than the Burial 2H L2. How about the Burial Blade's 2H R1? The Church Pick's R1 seems considerably faster and more stamina efficient to me.

I'd be surprised if a Burial Blade with 718 AR was outdamaging a Church Pick at 700 AR, since at least 60 of the Burial Blade's AR is going to be arcane damage.

Burials 2H R1 is not viable damage wise...like ever. It is great to recoup HP as it comes with a massive rally potential boost. The charge R2 rivals the Gun Spear range and knocks down almost every enemy and most bosses in one hit. I LOVE the Burial.

My damage performance assessment stems mostly from killing R/F/C Amygdala over and over again to get a good nourishing triangle for the MLGS. In this fight I usually just shred away with LHB but using Burial Blade is a lot of fun because of the overhead strikes. Church Pick also performs well in this fight so I compared them. Problem with the faster and more efficient Pick attacks is: you rarely get 2 or more hits in before you have to roll out of the way.

Oh and Whirligig L2 is the best thing ever, especially in co-op.

Edit:

Grimløck;187342344 said:
i was probably getting counter hits then. i dunno. i just wanted to test real quickly.

and i can't test on the ravens because my gems are ATT vs beasts DOWN -17%

and here's a shot of the normal version for good measure:

Dayum. That first picture makes it hard to believe that it was a counter hit. So far away. Any of your gems got some flat damage or "unusual" stuff on them? Like my nourishing gems got physical % at max HP.

Edit2: LOL! Tried it on the enemy in the screenshot. He bursts out of the crates flailing. I always get counter hits there and they hit for almost 1400.

358c76d78b.jpg

HORRORSHØW

Dayum. That first picture makes it hard to believe that it was a counter hit. So far away. Any of your gems got some flat damage or "unusual" stuff on them? Like my nourishing gems got physical % at max HP.

Edit2: LOL! Tried it on the enemy in the screenshot. He bursts out of the crates flailing. I always get counter hits there and they hit for 1400.

yeah, definitely counter hits then. the purpose was just to see if the lost version was indeed better, and it was. my physical gem is like 18% or something. 30% bloodtinge. my other character has all the top-tier stuff, and i don't feel like grinding with this one.
Cool thanks. How's the uncanny?
you want the lost version because it has the circular gem imprint, which will allow you to slot a bloodtinge gem. the uncanny has a waning slot, i think.

Aceofspades

Banned
I had the most welcomed glitch in history of video games. After losing to Ludwig ~45 times, I summoned help and we fought him to reach his second phase, cutscene ends and Mighty Ludwig strangely froze holding his moonlight blade for 3 seconds before fainting and falling down to his death!

I swear we didn't even touch him. That was super amazing :)

Squishy3

Really just kind of annoyed with where the DLC was placed now because either way on NG+ I have to grind or progress in the base game.

Because I ended up reaching a normal enemy who I only do a sliver of damage to with a visceral attack. So because of the game just automatically spitting you out into NG+ after beating it and me not playing it after beating it I'm at a severe disadvantage in the DLC. :/ And starting a new character is just as bad an option because you can beat Vicar Amelia well before you're at the "appropiate" level for the DLC, still requiring more grinding. It's just not fun and kills my will to play.

Akara

Banned
I had the most welcomed glitch in history of video games. After losing to Ludwig ~45 times, I summoned help and we fought him to reach his second phase, cutscene ends and Mighty Ludwig strangely froze holding his moonlight blade for 3 seconds before fainting and falling down to his death!

I swear we didn't even touch him. That was super amazing :)

The number of bugs I've seen in this game (done intentionally) are hilarious, and yeah I've heard about that glitch lol

Nose Master

First boss is the only truly great fight in the DLC, imo.

2nd:
This fight is just tedious. They don't have much hitstun, so you just play ring around the rosie chopping away from their unnecessarily large HP pool.

3rd:
Cool character, but the fight itself was really simple. Some of the hunters in the first area gave me more trouble than she did. Felt like those random "bosses" in the Chalice dungeons. Wish she was more like Artorias, and not just generic hunter AI with some barely-threatening new moves.

4th:
He's not bad, actually. Some stupid range on his attacks, but the billion-invul frame dodge in this game makes it pretty simple. Still, second best fight in the DLC.

5th:
Why bother?

DLC in general was pretty disappointing. Hamlet and first boss were wonderful, but the rest is a wash. Would have rather had them use the time on making Chalice dungeons more varied.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
First boss is the only truly great fight in the DLC, imo.

3rd:
Cool character, but the fight itself was really simple. Some of the hunters in the first area gave me more trouble than she did. Felt like those random "bosses" in the Chalice dungeons. Wish she was more like Artorias, and not just generic hunter AI with some barely-threatening new moves.
Wut. She was the hardest for me. Retried her so many times (str build using kirkhammer, maybe that was my problem -- I saw videos of skill builds wrecking her with BoM). Retried the others only once or twice each.

All of the bosses are pretty awesome except maybe
Living Failures
which is a little boring.

Would have rather had them use the time on making Chalice dungeons more varied.
.....................................FUCK no

Top Bottom