• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I see. I should check out what cursed gems I have then. I've been ignoring them lol.

Also, I'm guessing it goes without saying I should avoid using gems that drain health or make weapons break.

The durability ones aren't too bad apparently, provided you aren't running entire Chalices without going back to repair.

I think the HP drain ones are the worst, yeah.

Ellite25

First meet her at Yarham, then meet her at Cathedral Ward after opening the big gate of the plaza (the one that you can open with the badge), then kill Henryk before red moon, and at last, Chikage hunter after red moon.

you're welcome :) Gafhunt to the rescue!
Yup! It's crazy how easily other co-op partners have dropped. I feel like that fight never got too outta hand. Now I dumped all my echoes into Vit haha

johntown

Banned
I see. I should check out what cursed gems I have then. I've been ignoring them lol.

Also, I'm guessing it goes without saying I should avoid using gems that drain health or make weapons break.
I use a few that do 20% - 23% extra damage with a 2.8% extra stamina increase (not bad IMO). Forgot where I got them though....one of the Chalice Dungeons.

Ferr986

Yup! It's crazy how easily other co-op partners have dropped. I feel like that fight never got too outta hand. Now I dumped all my echoes into Vit haha

Well, I was stuck on that boss on NG++ for almost 2 hours so I kinda know his tricks now lol You actually did well for such low VIT. I would recommend atleast 40 VIT IMO. With that you can tackle the DLC and Depth 5 chalices, probably DLC on NG+ too.

In some ways I understand, but I think the cutscene and dialogue was pretty telling of his character and seeing Ludwig go crazy and being attached to his creation, how he almost seemed really calm, but at the same time is really insane when you fight him; probably the most insane boss in the game in my opinion. I think there was a lot of character in those small touches. Especially when you talk to his head afterwards. There is a dialogue option where he asks you a question and I think this simple scene gives him a ton of character. But that's just how i see it. I didn't really feel that way about Artorias, although I didn't complete that DLC, I simply beat the boss himself. But that DLC was named as Artorias for a reason.

In fact, I would say that Ludwig has some of the most character I've seen displayed in an actual cutscene/interaction in the Souls games, in my opinion. Every other character I can think of is mostly lore, and when you fight them they are just crazy.

Have you noticed how he actually seems to whinny or neigh like a horse at the beginning and end of his mid-fight cutscene? I thought that was a great touch, the sort of slightly ludicrous dark humor I remember from Dark 1.

HORRORSHØW

First meet her at Yarham, then meet her at Cathedral Ward after opening the big gate of the plaza (the one that you can open with the badge), then kill Henryk before red moon, and at last, Chikage hunter after red moon.

yeah, i've finished her quest before on other playthroughs. but in this one she isn't showing up at the tomb. it's night time, before the red moon.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think the Church Pick's 1H R1 spam is not very fun and the 2H R1 feels like weaker DPS than 1H mode. The Bloodletter's spammy 2H R1 is cool but you get punished just like with the speed ramp up of BoM. I can imagine the Bloodletter performing great in PVP because of the speed and range it provides if used correctly. But for PVE/Chalice runs? I think there are better options except for pure SKL builds where I would choose Church Pick over everything else.

Also none of these weapons are "bad". They just don't stand out compared to the rest. I still managed to clear a R/F/C Ihyll dungeon with Bow Blade alone (not as a ranged replacement) so even the "utter crap" part works only in context to what other DLC weapons bring to the table in the form of varied move sets or damage output in real boss fights.

Pls no more Church Pick blasphemy ;_;

Is anything particularly strong to Thrust damage? I typically stick to the transformed mode with the Pick and every attack with that is Thrust, unlike the untransformed mode.

I think I am starting to get sick of this game.

Been smashing my head into a wall trying to beat that **** Rom in the chalice dungeon.
Got him down to 5% once by pure luck. Then died.

I am sick of this unfair shit.
Rom is weak to Bolt and Fire. Very easy to plow through the fight with a heavy weapon (which provides solid hits against Rom and also makes it easier to clear out Rom's minions).

Weapon degradation isn't that bad actually, you do need to be a bit more careful with using it then, but it's one of the better downsides you can get for PVE (as long as it's only one slot). HP drain I personally always avoid, although you can make it work if you think of it like a chikage :p Kin down is good (you don't face that many throughout the game), beast down is not optimal since you fight loads of those generally and the extra stamina drain ones are arguably best. Worst of all is the attack down ones though, those are entirely garbage.

dan2026

Rom is weak to Bolt and Fire. Very easy to plow through the fight with a heavy weapon (which provides solid hits against Rom and also makes it easier to clear out Rom's minions).
I know all that but in practice you are stuck in a small room with 20xx spiders and a huge fat fuck who spams bullshit.

Ellite25

Well, I was stuck on that boss on NG++ for almost 2 hours so I kinda know his tricks now lol You actually did well for such low VIT. I would recommend atleast 40 VIT IMO. With that you can tackle the DLC and Depth 5 chalices, probably DLC on NG+ too.

I'm gonna just dump my echoes into that now. I got myself up to 30 now.

Finally got all but one DLC weapon to +10. Tested them in the chalice dungeons with BIS blood gems:

- MLGS is the new king, much more versatile than LHB
- Rakuyo is nice against groups of enemies but shit against bosses and big mobs, Chikage outperforms it by so much it isn't even funny
- The Whirligig L2 "one-shots" Rom (beast pellets, yo)
- Bowblade is utter crap (even against Amy's head), sad they nerfed it from ARC to BLT
- Boom Hammer has ridiculous AR (almost 1200!!!) but doesn't do any damage without L1 ignite, clunky because only charge R2 makes good use of the single hit ignite
- Saif is the better Saw Blade even without the hidden beast bonus, that moveset is sublime
- Amy Arm, Beast Cutter, Bloodletter and Church Pick are neither here nor there, they have way too limited move sets and don't excell in damage

Maybe I am missing some weird, unintended gem setup for some of the weapons (arcane Gun Spear says hi).

Now the only things left are the Beast Claws (with rune) and the Parasite (with rune)...then some PVP.

Not sure I agree with some of these. MLS doesn't have a quick form, unlike LHB, so I'm not sure how you can call it the more versatile of the two.

And the Rakuyo and the Chikage aren't really comparable weapons, in spite of the fact that they're both katanas. The Chikage is an explicitly overpowered weapon in PvE: a 50-bloodtinge Chikage will outdamage every other weapon in the game at comparable levels of stat investment, not just the Rakuyo. The real question is: how does the Rakuyo compare to other skill weapons at 50 skill? Specifically the Blade of Mercy, Burial Blade, Reiterpallasch, Threaded Cane, Rifle Spear, Beasthunter Saif.

Church Pick seems like the quickest halberd-style weapon in the game at the moment, and it should at least outdamage the Burial Blade, which is its only (much slower, less stamina-efficient) skill competition.

I think the Church Pick's 1H R1 spam is not very fun and the 2H R1 feels like weaker DPS than 1H mode. The Bloodletter's spammy 2H R1 is cool but you get punished just like with the speed ramp up of BoM. I can imagine the Bloodletter performing great in PVP because of the speed and range it provides if used correctly. But for PVE/Chalice runs? I think there are better options except for pure SKL builds where I would choose Church Pick over everything else.

2H R1s are weaker DPS than 1H R1s pretty much across the board. The advantage of the two-handed form (especially for halberds) is single-strike damage and range, not DPS. Compare to the Hunter Axe and Burial Blade, which both do more DPS in 1H form than in 2H form.

Church Pick actually works best with a skill quality build as opposed to a pure skill build, due to its relatively high strength scaling.

zma1013

So with the bowblades infinite ammo can you just kite a boss the entire time and whittle it down or is there something that makes that ineffective?

saud264

Neo Member
Playing with NG++++ was big mistake, my level 181 and every boss are very hard to me, and now I can't beat
Kos

Any co-op help using gaf password?

Ludwig is the hardest challenge for me right now. All the bosses had patterns, telescoped attacks, somehow safe zones for a couple of attacks.

Ludwig is just too fast, too agressive, all his attacks are zones, he hits like a fucking train. I need two rolls to get out of his range, another one back to get into range of the Burial blade in two hands form, I can get a hit, the next one will miss because he will move his head to prepare his next attack and I'm too late to dodge.

okay then, I'll try to hit him only once but it takes forver and he has fucking 10 attacks one me I have to dodge for every Hit I can land on him.

I guess I can't interrupt him with the gun ?

I just can't figure out his patterns, it's been 2 hours and I made 0 progress. I can't get near 1/4 of his life down. There 3/4 left and I just can't survive long enough he just wrecks me he doesn't care it's infuriating and I platniumed the game I just got Amelia first try after not touching the game for 6 months... And ludwig just kill me like I'm a fly.

I can't get behind, I can't get in front, I can't get under I can't get on the side. He's just too fast, got insane range, insane power...

Grimløck;187327656 said:
yeah, i've finished her quest before on other playthroughs. but in this one she isn't showing up at the tomb. it's night time, before the red moon.

This happened to me and people told me it was because I fought/killed Amelia first before talking to her near the cathedral ward. Are you in the same boat?

Edit: side note, is the Reiterpallasch a good weapon? I keep seeing it brought up, never even bothered paying attention to it before

zma1013

I know all that but in practice you are stuck in a small room with 20xx spiders and a huge fat fuck who spams bullshit.

If you can actually stack enough damage on your character and you continue to hit him as he teleports you can stun him so that he stops teleporting and can do a massive blow to his health on that first attempt. After that it is all about just running around like a lunatic slapping him once and running away dodging spiders. It's one of the only bosses that does feel a bit random. The pillars in that room do block the meteors though if u can use them to protect from that.

Not saying she isn't hard. She is. But weapons with AoE attacks and/or wide swings, with the added minor benefit of bolt/fire can make the difference. Oh, and she's weak to Arcane I think. Forgot to mention that. If you have the empty phantasm shell, use it.

Think of it this way: if you can kill one of her spiders (which do NOT respawn if I'm not mistaken) in 1-2 swings instead of 2-3 swings, wouldn't that help you get through the battle faster? Wouldn't it help you conserve stamina so that you can more easily dodge and more easily land attacks on Rom and other spiders?

Ferr986

I always ignore spiders with Rom. If I stop and hit spiders I end up getting ambushed, so I never stop, I kite the spiders , do a couple of attacks to Rom when I see it's safe to do so (not much spiders around her), and run away again, pulling the spiders with me.

Ludwig is the hardest challenge for me right now. All the bosses had patterns, telescoped attacks, somehow safe zones for a couple of attacks.

Ludwig is just too fast, too agressive, all his attacks are zones, he hits like a fucking train. I need two rolls to get out of his range, another one back to get into range of the Burial blade in two hands form, I can get a hit, the next one will miss because he will move his head to prepare his next attack and I'm too late to dodge.

okay then, I'll try to hit him only once but it takes forver and he has fucking 10 attacks one me I have to dodge for every Hit I can land on him.

I just can't figure out his patterns, it's been 2 hours and I made 0 progress. I can't get near 1/4 of his life down. There 3/4 left and I just can't survive long enough he just wrecks me he doesn't care it's infuriating and I platniumed the game I just got Amelia first try after not touching the game for 6 months... And ludwig just kill me like I'm a fly.

I can't get behind, I can't get in front, I can't get under I can't get on the side. He's just too fast, got insane range, insane power...

Dunno what to say, it's a really hard boss fight that's for sure. I ended up more or less learning his attacks. Rolling under him worked for me, but you have to time it right.

Ellite25

Uh so after beating Ludwig,
I killed the two NPCs and now I'm at an altar that says there's a hole in the skull. What am I supposed to do here? Am I missing something?

Ferr986

Uh so after beating Ludwig,
I killed the two NPCs and now I'm at an altar that says there's a hole in the skull. What am I supposed to do here? Am I missing something?

the key is at the altar of the Cathedral, where the fire Cleric Beast is taking a nap.

dan2026

I have tried all strategies I can think of. Almost won a couple of times.
Its just wearing me out and feels so random.

Cant beat Ludwig either lol.
This freaking game man.

Ellite25

Imru’ al-Qays;187330563 said:
Go back to the beginning of the level and run up the stairway where the fireball rolls down. It's at the top of the stairs, in Amelia's old boss room.

Ah gotcha! I'll head there now.

Edit: side note, is the Reiterpallasch a good weapon? I keep seeing it brought up, never even bothered paying attention to it before
It's nuanced but isn't going to blow you away with tons of damage. IMO it's "solid" in the same way that the cleavers are solid but not amazing.

Being able to transform-shoot while also holding a gun in the Left is interesting. I didn't care for it at first but it's nice in 1-on-1 (either PvP or PvE). Basically, do you like parries and do you like to actively switch between Trick and non-Trick in the middle of combos? If so, Reiter is pretty fun.

EDIT: yep, what the guy below said. Not going to impress anyone with its DPS or burst damage, but fun to play with and definitely a viable weapon for SKL builds (although everyone usually focuses on BoM or Burial for that).

Akara

Banned
It's nuanced but isn't going to blow you away with tons of damage. IMO it's "solid" in the same way that the cleavers are solid but not amazing.

Being able to transform-shoot while also holding a gun in the Left is interesting. I didn't care for it at first but it's nice in 1-on-1 (either PvP or PvE).

It has a great moveset in my opinon that allows you to play very safe with a wide variety of opponents ranging from PVE to PVP. The damage isn't the greatest but its perks are definitely how safe you can play with it and dodge.

drotahorror

I think I am starting to get sick of this game.

Been smashing my head into a wall trying to beat that **** Rom in the chalice dungeon.
Got him down to 5% once by pure luck. Then died.

I am sick of this unfair shit.

I remember being happy that I 1 shot that my first time at release (Chalice Rom). This time around on my new character I got so pissed off. I was ready to call it quits and not even bother going to the DLC. F that Rom dude.

Just remember if you see rom roll over on it's back then beams will come out the ground, run away from him, if they're coming from the sky, run towards him. I only bothered with adds the first phase, second phase I only killed spiders when it was convenient. Either way, I hated that fight this time around. I one shot him in the normal game this time around too, but chalice Rom annoyed the piss outta me.

dralla

He sure is. It took me 3 plus hours to take him out. His moves are easily dodgable once you figure them out. But figuring it all out is obviously not easy. Keep your distance, outside of his swipe range. You can dodge his charge, beam, and the weird bucking move he does by dodging to the side. You dodge the high jump/ceiling attacking by rolling. There are two versions of this, one is immediate and the other he'll hang out on the ceiling. During the one where he waits on the ceiling, watch for the drips of blood, when you hear the three droplets of blood hit the ground it's time to dodge. His other attacks are dodged by simply staying out of range. His circle swipe, he sometimes will follow up with a second lunging swipe, so always back dash away twice. You can attack during this three hit combo thing he does, the move he does at the start of the fight. After he does the outward swipe part of it, dodge to his right side (your left) and attack. You also get hits in after the ceiling attack, and if you can get to the side of him during his beam attack. It's really fight of attrition with him since he has so much health. One mistake can cost you the fight, which is heartbreaking. Which is why it's better to focus on evasion than getting in damage. If you get too greedy you will pay for it.

hughesta

Banned
Having a strange problem with my copy of the game. Not exclusive to the dlc, but my whole game is having weird texture bugs and color problems. Everything's way too bright even on the darkest settings and everything looks like it's been smeared in vaseline. Just got a new tv so it may relate to that, and I know it might also just be a sign that my PS4 is dying (please no) but other games show up fine.

If anyone has any idea of a solution please pm me, I don't want to clog up the thread with this issue. Much love.

edit: game also seems to be running at a poorer framerate than I remember, though that might not be accurate.

Ferr986

So, what's the point of using the Old Hunters NPC's on Chalice dungeons?

They have like 2 vials, after that they're just sitting there being stupid while not healing and eating AoEs.

The Bloodborne team should have talked with the Dark Souls 2: SOTFS team about NPC's for sure.

Dynedom

Looking for a third for O
perhan of Kos
. NG run.

edit: Nvm. A bit late. Gonna try again tomorrow. Absolutely insane boss.

Akara

Banned
So, what's the point of using the Old Hunters NPC's on Chalice dungeons?

They have like 2 vials, after that they're just sitting there being stupid while not healing and eating AoEs.

The Bloodborne team should have talked with the Dark Souls 2: SOTFS team about NPC's for sure.

Those NPCS you speak of are AMAZING tanks and have abnormally high HP lol. They aren't meant for DPS. Mines though never just sat there being dumb, they literally dodged out of hits and stuff lol. I was impressed when one of them dodged amagdalya's jump attack at the precise moment.

He sure is. It took me 3 plus hours to take him out. His moves are easily dodgable once you figure them out. But figuring it all out is obviously not easy. Keep your distance, outside of his swipe range. You can dodge his charge, beam, and the weird bucking move he does by dodging to the side. You dodge the high jump/ceiling attacking by rolling. There are two versions of this, one is immediate and the other he'll hang out on the ceiling. During the one where he waits on the ceiling, watch for the drips of blood, when you hear the three droplets of blood hit the ground it's time to dodge. His other attacks are dodged by simply staying out of range. His circle swipe, he sometimes will follow up with a second lunging swipe, so always back dash away twice. You can attack during this three hit combo thing he does, the move he does at the start of the fight. After he does the outward swipe part of it, dodge to his right side (your left) and attack. You also get hits in after the ceiling attack, and if you can get to the side of him during his beam attack. It's really fight of attrition with him since he has so much health. One mistake can cost you the fight, which is heartbreaking. Which is why it's better to focus on evasion than getting in damage. If you get too greedy you will pay for it.

that is the thing. It's no fight of attrition for me. It's a fight of surviving more than 30 seconds. he's too fast, got too much range. If I can't doge an attack, I will get stun lock and will eat the second and I'm dead. most fight don't last 20 seconds because when I see an opening I take it but I can't dodge or roll back far enough. I can never escape him. I can't stay near him because he got bullshit 360 swipes... I just can't figure it out. It's been 2 hours and I'm dropping off for tonight. I made 0 progress tonight on him after an hour yesterday night. No boss took me this long and wrecked me this hard. I have 0 sens of knowing the fucker better than on my first try. It's just a feeling of hopelessness

Ferr986

Those NPCS you speak of are AMAZING tanks and have abnormally high HP lol. They aren't meant for DPS. Mines though never just sat there being dumb, they literally dodged out of hits and stuff lol. I was impressed when one of them dodged amagdalya's jump attack at the precise moment.

Well I dunno, I'm against the Loran Darkbeast on my new character and I summoned one because I want to get done with Chalices quickly.

I don't want him to DPS, I want him to tank but dude won't heal. He just use a couple of vials and then that's it. I even take the aggro of the boss so he could heal but nope, spent a whole minute with almost no heal doing nothing other than attack.

He also loves to eat AoE but that's usual with NPCs.

dralla

that is the thing. It's no fight of attrition for me. It's a fight of surviving more than 30 seconds. he's too fast, got too much range. If I can't doge an attack, I will get stun lock and will eat the second and I'm dead. most fight don't last 20 seconds because when I see an opening I take it but I can't dodge or roll back far enough. I can never escape him. I can't stay near him because he got bullshit 360 swipes... I just can't figure it out. It's been 2 hours and I'm dropping off for tonight. I made 0 progress tonight on him after an hour yesterday night. No boss took me this long and wrecked me this hard. I have 0 sens of knowing the fucker better than on my first try. It's just a feeling of hopelessness

Here's my video of me finally getting him. I get a bit sloppy but it it'll show you how to avoid all of his attacks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyvhaPTgHCw

Akara

Banned
Well I dunno, I'm against the Loran Darkbeast on my new character and I summoned one because I want to get done with Chalices quickly.

I don't want him to DPS, I want him to tank but dude won't heal. He just use a couple of vials and then that's it. I even take the aggro of the boss so he could heal but nope, spent a whole minute with almost no heal doing nothing other than attack.

He also loves to eat AoE but that's usual with NPCs.

Weird, some NPCS don't have a lot of vials like Alfred the Queen Killer has very little. Do you have enough arcane for choir bell? Lol

Neoweee

I'd say around 70 for NG. It's basically a post game area. You'll need a lot of VIT and at least a +9 weapon.

Fortunately, the first section has a shitload of Twin Shards and Chunks to help a player out. That dark caves makes it rain
with chaingun bullets

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
In some ways I understand, but I think the cutscene and dialogue was pretty telling of his character and seeing Ludwig go crazy and being attached to his creation, how he almost seemed really calm, but at the same time is really insane when you fight him; probably the most insane boss in the game in my opinion. I think there was a lot of character in those small touches. Especially when you talk to his head afterwards. There is a dialogue option where he asks you a question and I think this simple scene gives him a ton of character. But that's just how i see it. I didn't really feel that way about Artorias, although I didn't complete that DLC, I simply beat the boss himself. But that DLC was named as Artorias for a reason.

In fact, I would say that Ludwig has some of the most character I've seen displayed in an actual cutscene/interaction in the Souls games, in my opinion. Every other character I can think of is mostly lore, and when you fight them they are just crazy.

Wow , that's a great summery. Ludwig had some of the best dialogue and personality in the soul's verse but his boss battle was weak by soul's standards. Artorias was great boss's but a lackluster character even with his back story.

Just beat
Laurance
after a few attempts. Definitely the easiest boss after LFs in the DLC (he wouldn't even be a harder boss in the base game). Idk why people had so much trouble with him.

Now just the fucking well.

Top Bottom