• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

My test character has 50/50/50 STR/SKL/ARC. My first MLGS tests were at 25 ARC at which point physical gems outperformed everything else. At 50 ARC I switched to all nourishing gems which slightly reduced 1H dmg (only by about 50 damage per charge R2) but added a SHITLOAD of damage to the transformed attacks that use bullets. Double 2H charge R2 combo into L1 does 6000 damage on Watchers in R/F/C depth 5 Ihyll. The L2 poke counter damage is 2000+. This weapon is insane! And I say that after throwing it into my stash after I first got it because I was so disappointed in the moveset before really trying it properly.

I think really Ludwig's vs Moonlight Sword is a two scaling stats vs three scaling stats issue: Ludwig's has more efficient scaling but only scales with two stats, whereas the Moonlight Sword has less efficient scaling but scales with three stats. So you'd expect Ludwig's to perform better in a quality build, and then for the Moonlight Sword to overtake it after a certain amount of additional investment in arcane.

Ludwig's has a 0.8 scaling ratio in strength and skill. The Moonlight Sword has a 0.8 scaling ratio in strength, a 0.6 scaling ratio in skill, and a 1 scaling ratio in arcane, but its base damage is lower than Ludwig's so these are actually 0.72, 0.54, and 0.5 scaling ratios respectively (since scaling is off of a weapon's base damage), using Ludwig's as the baseline.

So that means Ludwig's gets 30 points of 0.8 scaling and 50 points of 0.37 scaling. The Moonlight Sword gets 15 points of 0.72, 15 points of 0.54, 15 points of 0.5, 25 points of 0.34, 25 points of 0.25, and 25 points of 0.23.

So, by my very back of the napkin calculations, you'd expect the Moonlight Sword to have gotten more damage from scaling than Ludwig's at about 50/50/30. This obviously doesn't take into account the effect of the Moonlight Sword's initial higher overall AR with split arcane damage situation, which is hard to calculate, nor does it take into account the fact that the Ludwig's build will have more points left over to invest in vitality/endurance.

But broadly speaking, I think people who are comparing the two weapons should keep in mind that the Moonlight Sword will be comparably worse at lower stat allocations and comparatively better at higher stat allocations.

Burials 2H R1 is not viable damage wise...like ever. It is great to recoup HP as it comes with a massive rally potential boost. The charge R2 rivals the Gun Spear range and knocks down almost every enemy and most bosses in one hit. I LOVE the Burial.

My damage performance assessment stems mostly from killing R/F/C Amygdala over and over again to get a good nourishing triangle for the MLGS. In this fight I usually just shred away with LHB but using Burial Blade is a lot of fun because of the overhead strikes. Church Pick also performs well in this fight so I compared them. Problem with the faster and more efficient Pick attacks is: you rarely get 2 or more hits in before you have to roll out of the way.

Yeah, I love the Burial Blade - it was my main weapon before the DLC. And it's certainly a great weapon if you know how to use it properly. But I think the Church Pick is a valuable addition to the skill weapon repertoire: it's got something like the reach of the Burial Blade but with a superior 1H form and a lot more 2H R1 spammability (and it does pure thrust damage in 2H mode!), at the cost of the BB's excellent dodge attacks and rally. In some fights it'll be better and in others worse - in the Amygdala fight you only ever get one or two hits off at a time before you have to dodge, but think about a fight like Ludwig, where you might be able to spam R1 for a bit after a successful dodge. In that sort of situation the Church Pick might be superior to the BB.

Nose Master

More varied Chalice Dungeons would be nice. But not if it's picked over making actual proper levels. Come on now.

Hamlet was the only one I legitimately enjoyed exploring. First is a reskin with respawning OP hunters everywhere (conceptually interesting, but it makes it a pain in the ass to actually play). Second was okay, the
stairs
gimmick didn't really hit me like it should have. Hamlet was fun.

Hamlet was the only one I legitimately enjoyed exploring. First is a reskin with respawning OP hunters everywhere (conceptually interesting, but it makes it a pain in the ass to actually play). Second was okay, the
stairs

Research Hall was awesome. The Latria 3-1 remake I've been waiting for, with just a bit of Duke's Archives thrown in.

Imru’ al-Qays;187349340 said:
Research Hall was awesome. The Latria 3-1 remake I've been waiting for, with just a bit of Duke's Archives thrown in.

I was delighted when I read the first sign indicating the current floor and room I was next to. (Laboratory, Floor 3, etc). Latria as fuck.

DukeBobby

stairs

The first half of Hamlet was great. The second half with the annoying
Brador invasions
wasn't.

I couldn't tell if the DLC areas were short or I just got gud. I thought cathedral ward was huge but I can finish up exploring there in about 15 minutes these days.

I couldn't tell if the DLC areas were short or I just got gud. I thought cathedral ward was huge but I can finish up there in about 15 minutes these days.

There's no area in Bloodborne (vanilla or DLC) that takes much time if you know what you're doing. Forbidden Woods can be a multi-hour affair if you take your time or get lost, but it can also be ran through in like five minutes.

Edzi

First boss is the only truly great fight in the DLC, imo.

2nd:
This fight is just tedious. They don't have much hitstun, so you just play ring around the rosie chopping away from their unnecessarily large HP pool.

3rd:
Cool character, but the fight itself was really simple. Some of the hunters in the first area gave me more trouble than she did. Felt like those random "bosses" in the Chalice dungeons. Wish she was more like Artorias, and not just generic hunter AI with some barely-threatening new moves.

4th:
He's not bad, actually. Some stupid range on his attacks, but the billion-invul frame dodge in this game makes it pretty simple. Still, second best fight in the DLC.

5th:
Why bother?

DLC in general was pretty disappointing. Hamlet and first boss were wonderful, but the rest is a wash. Would have rather had them use the time on making Chalice dungeons more varied.

Apart from the broken balancing in NG+++, I thought all the bosses were fantastic. Even the Living Failures were really cool from a lore perspective, as was the location you fight them in. The bosses have a really good blend of great design, great atmosphere, and great fights/movesets.

Wut. She was the hardest for me. Retried her so many times (str build using kirkhammer, maybe that was my problem -- I saw videos of skill builds wrecking her with BoM). Retried the others only once or twice each.

She was a fantastic fight. Were you using the 2 handed version of the hammer though? She has really garbage poise, so if you used the sword mode you could just stun lock her until your stamina ran out for really good damage. I managed to get her cornered at one point so she couldn't dodge away and it was over.

Manu

"so The Old Hunters is, hands down, the hardest Souls-related content to date"

I disagree. Crown of the Iron King put up a harder fight on Champions.

Well, then "The Old Hunters is, hands down, the hardest Souls-related content to date if you don't go out of your way to make the other games purposely harder."

I'm not editing the review.

Well, then "The Old Hunters is, hands down, the hardest Souls-related content to date if you don't go out of your way to make the other games purposely harder."

Lol seriously.

Also barf at more varied Chalice dungeons. Imo this DLC is great. 3 of the bosses are some of the best From have made with one possibly being the hardest. The optional is a "re-skin" with a much more difficult to master moveset and one is basically a breather/lore boss.

I agree with you. Dark souls 2 dlc is "harder" however I felt it was design on purpose. But it's of course subjective.

Manu

And I just got my first negative comment ever. Yay lol

God Lawrence's 2nd phase is so stupid. They could have done much better, this is a mess.

I said it before: you're fighting the camera more than you're fighting him. Sometimes you'll think you're outside of his swinging range and then boom.

CHC

Stand back and bait his fire breath, run in to punish, repeat

Even if that works it still doesn't change the fact that the whole fight is just a sloppy mess.

I said it before: you're fighting the camera more than you're fighting him. Sometimes you'll think you're outside of his swinging range and then boom.

As is usually the case with any boss taller than 10 feet. The camera issue are majorly awful.

105.Will

So i've finally gotten around to ramming my head into
Laurence
. i keep getting him down to about half and than get killed in one hit.

Grimløck;187354284 said:
does anyone know if the saif and beast cutter have similar serration bonus to beasts like the saw cleaver/spear?

Good question. I also wonder if the Whirligig form 2 has the serration bonus, since it's obviously serrated.

105.Will

Does being below a certain level or the NG+ level even matter at a certain point? It will just be a one hit kill at Level 4 whether it's NG+ or Level 1 NG+++ ++ + ++ + +

Should just read "Dodged Ludwig for x minutes" :v

I was just thinking the same thing. Still pretty impressive.

Before I roll my new character, are there any new Bloodtinge build/based items in the DLC or would I just be looking idly at them as I main Chikage/Repeating? If there's not a lot going on there I may just go Arcane or Strength as I amusingly never made a strength build

Before I roll my new character, are there any new Bloodtinge build/based items in the DLC or would I just be looking idly at them as I main Chikage/Repeating? If there's not a lot going on there I may just go Arcane or Strength as I amusingly never made a strength build

Well there is Bloodletter and Gatling Gun for Bloodtinge. Strenght has the most weapons doe.

CHC

Ugh I'm just going to summon an NPC for Laurence. If they can't be bothered to design an actual new boss then I can't be bothered to beat it fair and square.

Bloodletter seems slightly worse than the Chikage, but it might be a fun change of pace. You can't get it until towards the end of the DLC, though.

Simon's Bowblade might be more interesting for you, since you could use your existing Chikage build to spec for it - just raise your skill to help the sword mode.

Strength builds are awesome in the DLC too, of course.

Floody

I know they aren't doing another expansion or DLC for Bloodborne, but I'd fucking love if we got something with all the Hunters in their peak
not being monsters or old
. The M
aria & G
ehrman
Fights are some of my all time favorites.

TheTurboFD

I know they aren't doing another expansion or DLC for Bloodborne, but I'd fucking love if we got something with all the Hunters in their peak
not being monsters or old
. The M
aria & G
ehrman
Fights are some of my all time favorites.

I'd melt if I had to go against those two

Imru’ al-Qays;187359033 said:
Bloodletter seems slightly worse than the Chikage, but it might be a fun change of pace. You can't get it until towards the end of the DLC, though.

Simon's Bowblade might be more interesting for you, since you could use your existing Chikage build to spec for it - just raise your skill to help the sword mode.

Strength builds are awesome in the DLC too, of course.

Oooo that Bow-y thing sounds neat

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Apart from the broken balancing in NG+++,
Eep. This makes me worried for my first character who is in NG+++...

She was a fantastic fight. Were you using the 2 handed version of the hammer though? She has really garbage poise, so if you used the sword mode you could just stun lock her until your stamina ran out for really good damage. I managed to get her cornered at one point so she couldn't dodge away and it was over.
Yeah I was... >_> for the most part. I went with parries for the first phase but after that it's just too risky, if you miss the parry you can eat a full combo to the face.

I guess small quick weapons work way better against her than big slow weapons.

"so The Old Hunters is, hands down, the hardest Souls-related content to date"

I disagree. Crown of the Iron King put up a harder fight on Champions.
Agreed. Fume Knight is no joke.

Oh please, explain why Fume Knight is "going out of your way to make the game purposefully harder", but, say, Laurence or the two shark creatures in the well or whatever, aren't doing that somehow?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PGNxWyEm0I

Level 4 beating Ludwig on NG++++++.

I am ashamed.
Did you see one doing that with OoK? NG+7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJrw5gwx-o
I suck at video games. ^^

Top Bottom