• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

CHC

Over 4 hours on Laurence alone. I think I've had it with this DLC , this is really some bull fucking shit.

Get'sMad

like I adored the game upon it's release but revisiting it with this DLC has been so much fun and has inspired me to go back and do another build.It also really cannot be overstated how fantastic the art design/direction is and that has been hammered home even more so with this DLC. God bless From.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Actual fastest? Check out an all bosses speed run to see a bridge skip.

fastest as in i'm playing for the first time and I accidentally blundered into father Gascoigne but before I fight him again I want to know if there's any easy shortcuts from central yarnham :p

Fhtagn

Over 4 hours on Laurence alone. I think I've had it with this DLC , this is really some bull fucking shit.

I had a similarly hard time with him but I eventually got it down. It might help a LOT to watch a video of someone else beating him, because it'll make the openings more clear. The second phase is murderous and I just couldn't figure it out myself but I got him done the very next try after watching the hit & run tactic video on the fextralife wiki.

fastest as in i'm playing for the first time and I accidentally blundered into father Gascoigne but before I fight him again I want to know if there's any easy shortcuts from central yarnham :p

oh, in that case, did you find the elevator next to the bridge with the fireball? Because that'll take you up to the brick dudes, and then to the lamp. Very fast run.

Right before the bridge preceding his area there's an elevator. That takes you right by the Central Yharnam lamp, you just have to go past the ogre dudes from the lamp (kill or run, doesn't matter)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Right before the bridge preceding his area there's an elevator. That takes you right by the Central Yharnam lamp, you just have to go past the ogre dudes from the lamp (kill or run, doesn't matter)

yep that's how I wandered into him by taking that elevator - I don't actually see another way to get to that bridge right before his arena, is the elevator the only way? oh wait the sewers was actually how I got there the very first time but then I got squished by the boulder

Fhtagn

yep that's how I wandered into him by taking that elevator - I don't actually see another way to get to that bridge right before his arena, is the elevator the only way?

You can't take that elevator until you came the other way. Up from the sewers.

yep that's how I wandered into him by taking that elevator - I don't actually see another way to get to that bridge right before his arena, is the elevator the only way? oh wait the sewers was actually how I got there the very first time but then I got squished by the boulder
Wait...how did you take the elevator if you didn't unlock it first?

There's at least one other way you can get there. Before I realized there was the elevator I used to just sprint through the sewers.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You can't take that elevator until you came the other way. Up from the sewers.

yep haha I realized I found the elevator from the sewers

oh yeah I see how that's confusing - what happened is I was in the sewers, climbed up the ladder, saw the elevator first so I activated it and rode it up and down to see where it connected to and then got blapped by the boulder, and then I didn't touch that area again until I after I beat cleric beast so I completely forgot about the sewer route

CHC

So I just about finished up the DLC - here are my thoughts, briefly:

Pros:

The Research Hall is fantastic, and it was great to finally meet some major characters from the lore (though Laurence was a major let down....) There was some really interesting new weapons and equipment, which I think everyone agrees was much needed from the core game. Sure, they're not all useful, but I appreciate some gimmicky pieces like the Whirlygig. And MLGS coming back.... I smiled ear to ear when that happened.

Cons:

A few.... unfortunately.

The biggest was the generally frustrating nature of many elements of a lot of the fights. From overly chaotic and messy boss phases (Ludwig P1, Orphan P2) to the ridiculous tracking and accuracy of what appeared to be big, clumsy enemies (fish-men, axe wielders by Cathedral). I really can only whole heartedly say that I LOVED one of the bosses (Maria), the rest I found to be generally messy and frustrating - the camera only exacerbated this. I'm a long time Souls player so it's not really a matter of difficulty. That I can deal with. It's just that more often than not I found myself frustrated by no-win situations in the fights or a totally unclear sense of where the boss was or what was coming next. It felt as though a lot of the battles were programmed to be brutally difficult at all costs, rather than the dance-like stand offs that most of the main game's boss fights were.

The levels were another let down for me. I absolutely loved the Research Hall, but Hunter's Nightmare was basically all places we have seen before, connected by rocks, blood and corpses. The Fishing Hamlet was a less interesting version of the town in Forbidden Woods, and also seemed strangely sparse and lacking in graphical fidelity. For a DLC this compact, I really didn't enjoy seeing reused locations - everything should have matched the tightness of the middle section. Laurence was another insult - literally a recycled boss in a recycled room. I know the lore paints him as the first Cleric beast, but that doesn't mean he has to be identical in almost every way to the first boss.

Anyway, I supposed I enjoyed parts of it, but overall Old Hunters left me feeling kind of unsatisfied. There are a LOT of places they could have explored given the implications of the main game and how deep and dense a place Yarnham is, so I'm a little sorry to see that abandoned in favor of a more linear and less convincinly connected nightmare area.

If I had to give a number I'd put it at a 7/10, mainly because my love of the core game kept me engaged enough to get through it.

Man, I am way too underprepared for the DLC area. I did find myself comparing it to something like Silent Hill though, which makes it cool.

MilkBeard

Luck, basically - just sidestep repeatedly. It's a bullshit hitbox.

It's not luck. You see him doing the stepping like he's gonna go, and you then you dodge instinctively just before or just after he goes, depending on your range. I can dodge it every time, as long as I know he's going to do it.

The only problem is that if you are actually right behind him, you will still take full damage, which is a bit wonky.

It's not luck. You see him doing the stepping like he's gonna go, and you then you dodge instinctively just before or just after he goes, depending on your range. I can dodge it every time, as long as I know he's going to do it.

The only problem is that if you are actually right behind him, you will still take full damage, which is a bit wonky.

My issue is that I'm usually close to him or nearby and a whiff of his scent usually kills me. If it's far away, it's usually easy to dodge.

Edzi

Luck, basically - just sidestep repeatedly. It's a bullshit hitbox.

Come on, it's definitely not luck. I agree that there were some unbalanced elements in my ng+++ run (primarily the abundance of one hit kills), but it sounds like you're really overplaying how difficult the bosses were.

CHC

Imru’ al-Qays;187378971 said:
No, there's an obvious tell. Compared to Ebrietas or Watchdog's charges it's really easy to dodge.

There is an obvious tell but the whole move's hit box is BS, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. Can't even tell you how many times I dodged him only to have his leg collide with me and drag me across the room with him, but without any actual damage done to me. Watchdog charges much FASTER, but it's still more manageable than Ludwig.

Come on, it's definitely not luck. I agree that there were some unbalanced elements in my ng+++ run (primarily the abundance of one hit kills), but it sounds like you're really overplaying how difficult the bosses were.

I admit I am being a bit harsh but generally speaking I do feel that the bosses (Maria and Failures excluded) are much messier and less refined than those of the main game, which is the primary cause of their difficulty. I was being sort of facetious saying that the dodge is "luck" but the charge move is definitely not a sure thing.

There is an obvious tell but the whole move's hit box is BS, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. Can't even tell you how many times I dodged him only to have his leg collide with me and drag me across the room with him, but without any actual damage done to me. Watchdog charges much FASTER, but it's still more manageable than Ludwig.

Haha, abused this so much. Never stop swinging!

Make sure you have at least 2 shaman bone blades equipped. For those of you who dont know, this item makes (almost) any monster you stab with it fight for you for 20 seconds.

Drop into the pit, aggro the shark with an anchor. Draw him out into the back of the pit where there is lots of space. It's easy to dodge his attacks in an open area. When he gets to 50% health he will walk back to the other shark dude. You need to stab him with the shaman bone before the other guy drops down... you will there is a wind up (similar to charged R2 attack) and the range is very short and trying to stab one of them will be extremely difficult when both of them are active.

After you stab one of the shark dues he will fight the other one. Be careful because sometimes it doesnt take effect right away. They will both fight and you may need to stab one of them again (which is easy since they're both distracted fighting each other) before the effect wears out to make sure one of them dies.

From that point draw the remaining shark dude to the back of the pit again and it shouldnt take long at all to kill him as his health will be severely reduced.

Enjoy your Rakuyo!!

MrHoot

So i'm having a bit of a pickle as since I want to have the platinum (and the THEEEEME), I'm doing my chalice. Except after doing Lower Phtumeru I didnt' get defiled chalice. I did it again and still...no defiled chalice. Am I missing something ? I'm in new game + but I don't think that should affect it

Dez_

I'm at the end of the dlc and need some tips on fighting the boss,
Orphan of Kos.
I'd like to be able to do this solo, but I'm having a hard time finding any good openings to attack without it automatically recovering from it's last attack. Been using the Saif. I manage to get to the second half of the fight, but I'm having a tougher time trying to read the tells and I'm going through blood vials like crazy getting to that point.

konjak

So i'm having a bit of a pickle as since I want to have the platinum (and the THEEEEME), I'm doing my chalice. Except after doing Lower Phtumeru I didnt' get defiled chalice. I did it again and still...no defiled chalice. Am I missing something ? I'm in new game + but I don't think that should affect it

Some people get thrown off by the second-to-last boss giving a chalice (and I think it has big doors too), but the chalice actually has one more floor. Is that it?

---

Servers under maintenance right now? Wanted to do chalice glyphs.

It should be Lower Pthumeru Chalice and killing the Bloodletting Beast in layer 4 to get the Defiled Chalice.

MrHoot

Some people get thrown off by the second-to-last boss giving a chalice (and I think it has big doors too), but the chalice actually has one more floor. Is that it?

---

Servers under maintenance right now? Wanted to do chalice glyphs.

Nah i know there are 4 layers and did all 4 of them (last boss being bloodletting beast if i recall). Still didn't give me the chalice tho so that was odd.

theRizzle

Does the DLC/patch change anything in the earlier areas of the game? I won't be able to download it for another 2 weeks or so, but I'd like to start playing again if my experience up until I can access the DLC will be the same.

Does the DLC/patch change anything in the earlier areas of the game? I won't be able to download it for another 2 weeks or so, but I'd like to start playing again if my experience up until I can access the DLC will be the same.

Not really. Just adds a new NPC in Forbidden Woods. You should be fine. And starting a new character is a good idea if your main is already on NG+. I learned the hard way from Artorias of the Abyss never to play a Souls DLC on NG+ for the first time.

1upsuper

Have we ever been given a reason why BB doesn't have any sort of respec system? I love the new DLC weapons and I really wish I had time to make new characters to get the most out of each of them, but I don't. :( Maybe during the holidays I can start some new files in this beautiful game.

theRizzle

Imru’ al-Qays;187385115 said:
Not really. Just adds a new NPC in Forbidden Woods. You should be fine. And starting a new character is a good idea if your main is already on NG+. I learned the hard way from Artorias of the Abyss never to play a Souls DLC on NG+ for the first time.

That's great, thanks.

The Hunt begins again!

Lady Maria: Boss Fight of the Year

GOD
DAMN
Fully agree. <3 Maria <3

Last night... I FINALLY GOT THOSE TWO GODDAMN SHARKS! AAAAAAAAAAAA
Worst enemy in the entire Souls series by far. Dat moveset and tracking.

uzyjc.gif

So I just about finished up the DLC - here are my thoughts, briefly:

Pros:

The Research Hall is fantastic, and it was great to finally meet some major characters from the lore (though Laurence was a major let down....) There was some really interesting new weapons and equipment, which I think everyone agrees was much needed from the core game. Sure, they're not all useful, but I appreciate some gimmicky pieces like the Whirlygig. And MLGS coming back.... I smiled ear to ear when that happened.

Cons:

A few.... unfortunately.

The biggest was the generally frustrating nature of many elements of a lot of the fights. From overly chaotic and messy boss phases (Ludwig P1, Orphan P2) to the ridiculous tracking and accuracy of what appeared to be big, clumsy enemies (fish-men, axe wielders by Cathedral). I really can only whole heartedly say that I LOVED one of the bosses (Maria), the rest I found to be generally messy and frustrating - the camera only exacerbated this. I'm a long time Souls player so it's not really a matter of difficulty. That I can deal with. It's just that more often than not I found myself frustrated by no-win situations in the fights or a totally unclear sense of where the boss was or what was coming next. It felt as though a lot of the battles were programmed to be brutally difficult at all costs, rather than the dance-like stand offs that most of the main game's boss fights were.

The levels were another let down for me. I absolutely loved the Research Hall, but Hunter's Nightmare was basically all places we have seen before, connected by rocks, blood and corpses. The Fishing Hamlet was a less interesting version of the town in Forbidden Woods, and also seemed strangely sparse and lacking in graphical fidelity. For a DLC this compact, I really didn't enjoy seeing reused locations - everything should have matched the tightness of the middle section. Laurence was another insult - literally a recycled boss in a recycled room. I know the lore paints him as the first Cleric beast, but that doesn't mean he has to be identical in almost every way to the first boss.

Anyway, I supposed I enjoyed parts of it, but overall Old Hunters left me feeling kind of unsatisfied. There are a LOT of places they could have explored given the implications of the main game and how deep and dense a place Yarnham is, so I'm a little sorry to see that abandoned in favor of a more linear and less convincinly connected nightmare area.

If I had to give a number I'd put it at a 7/10, mainly because my love of the core game kept me engaged enough to get through it.

The boss fights all seem pretty great to me. They might be harder to learn on average and they might seem chaotic and messy at first, but once you get the movesets down and have enough practice getting a kill should be easily repeatable. Just like every other boss in the game. On my second playthrough of the DLC the only boss I died to was OoK, and I got him the second attempt.

As for the Fishing Hamlet being similar to the town in Forbidden Woods... I think that's a bit of a stretch. Personally I think it's an awesome area. One of the best in the game actually.
Stepping out of a clock tower into a rainy, desolate, decayed fishing village straight out of Lovecraft with Yharnam visible beneath the water?
C'mon. Not to mention the final boss arena... it doesn't get much better than that.

If I had to give the DLC a number I'd put it at a 17/10. Best DLC of all time.

Donos

Don't want to change with anyone who still has defiled chalices to do. That was a world of pain to finish. Although now you can summon the league npc which probably makes things way easier. Farewell and don't give up :)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Have we ever been given a reason why BB doesn't have any sort of respec system? I love the new DLC weapons and I really wish I had time to make new characters to get the most out of each of them, but I don't. :( Maybe during the holidays I can start some new files in this beautiful game.

I don't mind redoing the main game numerous times, and have done so, but the Chalices are stupid.

At least make Chalice progress or Gem inventory or something transfer between characters ;_;

Top Bottom