• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

I must be the weirdest Souls player in the world because not a single boss in DS2 took me more than...7 tries (Fume Knight was 7, tied with...Kalameet from DS1 once I learned how to play that game) but Bloodborne mercilessly destroys me. My first playthrough Vicar Amelia took me 43 tries and Shadows of Yharnam took me 30 something. A lot of bosses were in tens or 20s. Everyone always has an easy time with the big monster dudes and trouble against human sized opponents but the Chikage hunter took me 4 tries and Logarius was a measly 3. Amygdala was about 18 I think. Bloodstarved Beast was 8. I have no idea why my playstyle lends itself to getting romperstomped by "easier" bosses.

I think it actually took me less tries then Amelia for Watchdog. Which makes no sense.

konjak

I must be the weirdest Souls player in the world because not a single boss in DS2 took me more than...7 tries (Fume Knight was 7, tied with...Kalameet from DS1 once I learned how to play that game) but Bloodborne mercilessly destroys me. My first playthrough Vicar Amelia took me 43 tries and Shadows of Yharnam took me 30 something. A lot of bosses were in tens or 20s. Everyone always has an easy time with the big monster dudes and trouble against human sized opponents but the Chikage hunter took me 4 tries and Logarius was a measly 3. Amygdala was about 18 I think. Bloodstarved Beast was 8. I have no idea why my playstyle lends itself to getting romperstomped by "easier" bosses.

I think it actually took me less tries then Amelia for Watchdog. Which makes no sense.

These games have players vary wildly what they found easy/hard. I love that.
Orphan
was my second try first time playing, which was in NG+ and level 120. Also Chikage. Anything that can be parried is not too bad for me, so the sharks turned out okay too.

d00d3n

I completed Bloodborne, but don't think I am very good at the game. Is soul level 100 for NG+ enough to tackle the DLC?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I just noticed that from behind, both hits of the Church Pick R2 count as backstab triggers, letting you do a ton of damage before you actually backstab.

Do other weapons do this? I think the R2 -> R2 of the moonlight tends to blow people away. Not sure about Saw Cleaver or other weapons with R2 combos.

Oh please, explain why Fume Knight is "going out of your way to make the game purposefully harder", but, say, Laurence or the two shark creatures in the well or whatever, aren't doing that somehow?

He was referring to the Champions covenant as "going out of your way to make the game purposefully harder," not Fume Knight.

Floody

I think it's literally impossible to beat these two sewer sharks.

I honestly didn't have much trouble with them, by the time the second one dropped the first only had a little bit of health left, I did keep him at the opposite end of the room though.

ike_

Man that last boss. Finally found it. Was stuck for a while but an enemy literally punched me to where I needed to go.

Almost 10 tries and I can still barely
turn it into a butterfly
. Even level 125@NG+0 that thing is not at all bothered when stabbed by blades of mercy. Seems like I might need to get good.

Neoweee

Agreed. Fume Knight is no joke.

Oh please, explain why Fume Knight is "going out of your way to make the game purposefully harder", but, say, Laurence or the two shark creatures in the well or whatever, aren't doing that somehow?

I think the entire Iron King DLC is the hardest, not just 1 or 2 of the bosses. It's the only zone in DS2 that I haven't made it to any of the bosses in, on either my regular or Champions save file. Enemies are hard and plentiful, and the 2 "main" bosses are both considered highlights of the series, in general.

I think that only happens if you don't recognize that Vitality is by far the best stat in the game. If you put most of your points into vitality, most of the bosses will go down on your first or second try, because you won't even need to learn the fights in any meaningful sense. Was Vitality your most invested stat, or even your second highest?

Floody

Man that last boss. Finally found it. Was stuck for a while but an enemy literally punched me to where I needed to go.

Almost 10 tries and I can still barely
turn it into a butterfly
. Even level 125@NG+0 that thing is not at all bothered when stabbed by blades of mercy. Seems like I might need to get good.

You can
backstab it, and make it a lot easier on yourself, I got my ass woop about 25 times before learning that.
(spoiler tag it, in-case you don't want to know it's weakness.

What weapon?

Ludwig's Holy Blade +10, with good gems, and the Bowblade (just to finish it off).

aly

I did'nt have much trouble with Fume Knight. Difficulty for people across these games varies wildly. I mean someone in here had a lot of trouble the Witches of Hemwick.

I did'nt have much trouble with Fume Knight. Difficulty for people across these games varies wildly. I mean someone in here had a lot of trouble the Witches of Hemwick.

Dude, they're invisible.

They're fucking invisible.

Come on man.

Invisible.

Fume Knight is difficult because his tells are purposefully misleading, or at least that's what I remember from him.

Floody

So guys, how long is the dlc? Im buying it soon. Wanna stay spoiler free, so sorry if its already been asked a thousand times.

I'd say around 6-15 hours depending on skill & luck, took me around 8 or 9 hours, I got stuck on 2 bosses, one of which was optional.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Grimløck;187354284 said:
does anyone know if the saif and beast cutter have similar serration bonus to beasts like the saw cleaver/spear?

Imru’ al-Qays;187355373 said:
Good question. I also wonder if the Whirligig form 2 has the serration bonus, since it's obviously serrated.

I am very certain that the Saif doesn't have serration bonus. Even the weapon description support this, as it was a precursor to the "saw" weapons--weapons that are "more effective against beasts." So it's not a "Saw" weapons like Saw Spear or Saw Cleaver.

MilkBeard

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/671390573786505220?s=09

Fishing expert at Polygon doesn't care for the Old Hunters it seems.

He's allowed to have an opinion, but Bloodborne is one of the easier ones to access DLC out of the Souls games. I guess he just wasn't aware of how From does things. I suppose it's a valid criticism for people who don't want to spend the time, but I have to wonder, because the Souls games are kind of anti-convenience. It's just in their nature. I guess you can't please everyone. Means you should probably do your homework before you press that button to buy an expansion.

EDIT:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PGNxWyEm0I

Level 4 beating Ludwig on NG++++++.

I am ashamed.

Wow. Literally, a flawless win. And it goes to show that it's really all about the gems in your weapon and how you memorize his patterns.

Draper

I haven't had the time to progress much further after defeating Ludwig with you guys, but man...I'm still thinking about it. The music, the particle effects, the intensity...

Such an amazing fight.

d00d3n

I entered the nightmare version of grand cathedral and saw a gigantic beast that didn't move. Is he dead? I could not figure it out, so I had to leave the place disappointed.

By the way, the first stretch seems to be full of hunters. Will the annoying people with threaded canes respawn?

Afrocious

I entered the nightmare version of grand cathedral and saw a gigantic beast that didn't move. Is he dead? I could not figure it out, so I had to leave the place disappointed.

By the way, the first stretch seems to be full of hunters. Will the annoying people with threaded canes respawn?

this post made me lol

Top Bottom