• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Tingle

The boss fights all seem pretty great to me. They might be harder to learn on average and they might seem chaotic and messy at first, but once you get the movesets down and have enough practice getting a kill should be easily repeatable. Just like every other boss in the game. On my second playthrough of the DLC the only boss I died to was OoK, and I got him the second attempt.

As for the Fishing Hamlet being similar to the town in Forbidden Woods... I think that's a bit of a stretch. Personally I think it's an awesome area. One of the best in the game actually.
Stepping out of a clock tower into a rainy, desolate, decayed fishing village straight out of Lovecraft with Yharnam visible beneath the water?
C'mon. Not to mention the final boss arena... it doesn't get much better than that.

If I had to give the DLC a number I'd put it at a 17/10. Best DLC of all time.

I think its fair to compare the Hamlet to the forbidden woods. When I first got there, I actually thought it was the parallel world version of the forbidden woods. It doesn't really differentiate itself very well until the docks at the end, and the cave.

1upsuper

I don't mind redoing the main game numerous times, and have done so, but the Chalices are stupid.

At least make Chalice progress or Gem inventory or something transfer between characters ;_;

Actually, yeah. I'd be OK just with CD progress and gems being universal across saves. I just got through them all once and that was enough for one lifetime.

Looks like they're having a multiple day emergency maintenance =X (Japanese link: http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/bloodborne/news/2015/12/notice-of-server-maintenance.html ).

Some Redditors are speculating it's because people have been able to access the DLC via Co Op without having to buy it. I can see why they need to take the game offline to fix this >_>.

Oh god this is the worst possible time, when Bloodborne is more active than its ever been....where am I gonna get my invasion fix!? :'[

On NG+ what level are people starting this on? Id consider my BB skills very average, even if ive found NG+ quite easy, but Im right befort penultimate boss in vanilla BB and would like to give this a go before NG++. Ive become addicted.

I think its fair to compare the Hamlet to the forbidden woods. When I first got there, I actually thought it was the parallel world version of the forbidden woods. It doesn't really differentiate itself very well until the docks at the end, and the cave.

I must be really unobservant because I just don't see it. The textures, layout, enemies, and general atmosphere are completely different. The only similarity is that they both have... buildings you can go into?

1upsuper

On NG+ what level are people starting this on? Id consider my BB skills very average, even if ive found NG+ quite easy, but Im right befort penultimate boss in vanilla BB and would like to give this a go before NG++. Ive become addicted.

I went through it all on NG+ at 120 and that felt perfect.

aly

Have we ever been given a reason why BB doesn't have any sort of respec system? I love the new DLC weapons and I really wish I had time to make new characters to get the most out of each of them, but I don't. :( Maybe during the holidays I can start some new files in this beautiful game.

I thinks it's just like the NG+ situation where Dark Souls 2 is the outlier for the series. Curious to see how Dark Souls 3 handles respec and NG+.

I must be really unobservant because I just don't see it. The textures, layout, enemies, and general atmosphere are completely different. The only similarity is that they both have... buildings you can go into?

I also must be missing something, since I'm not really seeing how the Hamlet and the Woods are all that similar.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
These game journalists whining on twitter about the DLC is bonkers.

I guess they could have let you access the nightmare tombstone immediately, but how is it taking someone 5 hours to unlock it in NG+?

Otnopolit

Oh god this is the worst possible time, when Bloodborne is more active than its ever been....where am I gonna get my invasion fix!? :'[

I'm hoping people will be back once the game comes back online itching to get their fix also! I'm wayyyy into this game again since the DLC.

konjak

Are there notes on how long this server maintenance is gonna go for? I only have a bit of time and I was going to do some online stuff. I'm in Europe. Or is it a different problem?

EDIT: What. Multiple days? I hope this doesn't affect activity a ton.

I was attempting a bow arrows only NG+2 challenge, but I felt too weak for Shadows of Yharnam. Wanted to get the Lost bow, but I can't use the glyph for days now, then.

HORRORSHØW

they're both a shade of green
i don't see it either

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
These game journalists whining on twitter about the DLC is bonkers.

I guess they could have let you access the nightmare tombstone immediately, but how is it taking someone 5 hours to unlock it in NG+?

Who is doing this?

Tingle

They are both shanty towns on the outskirts of Yarnham with a bunch of wooden buildings. Additionally, the hilly parts around the second half of the town reminded me of the hilly parts before the Shadows of Yarnham.

Its certainly not perfect, and I realized my mistake at the second half of the level, but there are similarities.

Also, the forbidden woods was pretty close to the ocean as is, so that's what I through the water was coming from, and the place seemed a lot more "natural" than the city of Yarnham, making me think it had to be the forbidden woods.

Also, most of the DLC was revisiting old places, so I suppose I was trying to make it fit due to my expectations.

HORRORSHØW

if you know what you're doing, it takes less than an hour to access the DLC. probably less time in ng+.

rush to gascoigne, 10k shards to buy the key, beat amelia, access dlc.

5 hours is beyond fucking dumb.

Grimløck;187387977 said:
if you know what you're doing, it takes less than an hour to access the DLC. probably less time in ng+.

rush to gascoigne, 10k shards to buy the key, beat amelia, access dlc.

5 hours is beyond fucking dumb.

The downside is you'll possibly be underleveled (can be mitigated by skill, but still) if you rush straight to the DLC on NG+.

Rozart

Yes you do.
If you don't, he'll
constantly invade you at a few places
, and IMHO, I hate the guy.

That's the thing I've already
killed him several times now (when he invades me I mean)
. I'm only missing the
top from bloodied armour set that he drops. I've gotten invaded 3 times now and I've only just gotten around to unlocking the door to his room.

Is there more to his story or is killing him the main endpoint to this quest?

Tingle

That's the thing I've already
killed him several times now (when he invades me I mean)
. I'm only missing the
top from bloodied armour set that he drops. I've gotten invaded 3 times now and I've only just gotten around to unlocking the door to his room.

Is there more to his story or is killing him the main endpoint to this quest?

Even if you kill him, you can get his items, from what I have read. There is literally no reason to keep him alive.

They are both shanty towns on the outskirts of Yarnham with a bunch of wooden buildings. Additionally, the hilly parts around the second half of the town reminded me of the hilly parts before the Shadows of Yarnham.

Its certainly not perfect, and I realized my mistake at the second half of the level, but there are similarities.

Also, the forbidden woods was pretty close to the ocean as is, so that's what I through the water was coming from, and the place seemed a lot more "natural" than the city of Yarnham, making me think it had to be the forbidden woods.

Fishing Hamlet isn't "on the outskirts" of Yharnam, it's above it. There's some weird dimensional shit going on there and you can see Yharnam underneath the water. Anyway, both areas being shanty towns is a pretty broad and vague similarity.

Tingle

Fishing Hamlet isn't "on the outskirts" of Yharnam, it's above it. There's some weird dimensional shit going on there and you can see Yharnam underneath the water. Anyway, both areas being shanty towns is a pretty broad and vague similarity.

I believe in the real world, the hamlet obviously isn't flying above Yarnham :p

It isn't in middle of the city, obviously, and seems like it should be somewhere outside of it.

Derpot

These complaints are stupid. I mean, in most games, you have to reach a certain point in the story to unlock and play the DLC, no ?
I was still in NG with my lvl 100 character when I started the DLC, and I was at the end of the game (last boss I beat was Micolash). I didn't start a NG+ and I waited for the DLC's release. No problem here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I believe in the real world, the hamlet obviously isn't flying above Yarnham :p

It isn't in middle of the city, obviously, and seems like it should be somewhere outside of it.

Who said the fishing hamlet is even in the real world?

Rozart

Even if you kill him, you can get his items, from what I have read. There is literally no reason to keep him alive.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

!!

So that's what those shadowy mirages are? I just assumed they were sunken shipwrecked ships.

These complaints are stupid. I mean, in most games, you have to reach a certain point in the story to unlock and play the DLC, no ?
I was still in NG with my lvl 100 character when I started the DLC, and I was at the end of the game (last boss I beat was Micolash). I didn't start a NG+ and I waited for the DLC's release. No problem here.

Most games don't force the player into NG+ (where the game gets even more challenging). For Souls this could be somewhat circumvented by having NG+ become a separate save file - preserving the original playthrough after it's over and allowing immediate access to DLC at a difficulty that the player is more comfortable with.

edit - I also prepped characters for the DLC. After my original playthrough which I took to NG+, I made new Strength, Skill, and Quality characters, and cleared everything up to the end of NG (killed Gehrman and purposely lost to Moon Presence so I could continue playing). But I'm also hardcore as fuck and Bloodborne is one of my favorite games ever. I doubt the majority of players do this, and are stuck on NG+ where the difficulty is ramped up and significant leveling (and thus content clearing) may be necessary to offset the challenge.

Tingle

Who said the fishing hamlet is even in the real world?

The rest of the DLC is based on the real world, and the church seemingly found
Kos' corpse
somehow.
That seems to be what started the whole story, it seems more likely they found that, then got involved with supernatural stuff than opening a portal to another dimension, then having their first contact with a supernatural being.

It's trippy as hell once you realize what's going on. Turn around from the Fishing Hamlet lamp and look at the Clocktower sticking out of the water

It's like Ash Lake but in reverse.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Is that polygon guy really bitching that you cannot access the DLC from the Main Menu?
Who on earth would want that anyway when it comes to bloodborne? Get dropped into the game with a randomized Hunter just so you can play the DLC? Who'd want to abandon their builds from the main game?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Where do you meet that guy? because I seem to have missed his normal form and he keeps invading me, even if I've killed the fucker.
After Ludwig, in the prison area, down the stairs behind a locked door. You'll need the key found in the fishing hamlet to access him though.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is that polygon guy really bitching that you cannot access the DLC from the Main Menu?
Who on earth would want that anyway when it comes to bloodborne? Get dropped into the game with a randomized Hunter just so you can play the DLC? Who'd want to abandon their builds from the main game?

I don't know, I can sort of see their point, at least with regards to accessing it.

Main menu access would be dumb but is there really a reason not to just unlock the Hunter's Nightmare tomb after a certain point rather than having you get the item then go get grabbed by the amygdala? Why bother?

Imagine if they released the Demon's Souls giant world DLC at some point, and instead of the arch stone just being accessible you had to go find an item then die to that butcher NPC in valley of defilement to warp there.

Mutombo

to be fair; i was a bit frustrated accessing the dlc as well. Like many others, I had a level 90 character on NG+, and was almost ready to acces the DLC immediately... with the problem that the first boss gave me quite a hard time, because I needed to git gud again.

The other option was to start a new character. But I couldn't get past the friggin Cleric Beast.

So for me as a player I have to deal with it. But for reviewers? I can understand the frustration.

Well, git gud.

I made the mistake on trying to fight
OoK
sick and semi-drunk on nyquil... I have found you can backstab him... now back to my nyquil hazy nightmare I go...

TitusTroy

here's my fight with DLC boss
Ludwig, the Accursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRivT7Lpj8

now in my 2nd playthrough I actually find him rather easy...his 1st phase is really no trouble, all I do is treat him like Sif and Royal Rat Authority (DS2) and get underneath him as much as possible...his 2nd phase is easy if I can get behind him but he pivots so quickly which makes it more difficult

Tingle

I don't know, I can sort of see their point, at least with regards to accessing it.

Main menu access would be dumb but is there really a reason not to just unlock the Hunter's Nightmare tomb after a certain point rather than having you get the item then go get grabbed by the amygdala? Why bother?

Imagine if they released the Demon's Souls giant world DLC at some point, and instead of the arch stone just being accessible you had to go find an item then die to that butcher NPC in valley of defilement to warp there.

But in Demon's Souls, you don't discover any areas, they are all accessed by archstones- it wouldn't make sense in that game. In Bloodborne, you have to find the lamps to activate the stones, thats how it works the whole game. And its also very important for the story that its clear you are being pulled into another dimension, and it also hammers in that point which was established by the previous Amygdala.

And even then, picking up the blooddrunk eye gives you a message which tells you with very little subtly that you need to get grabbed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

I think it's a fair argument to be making. The problem isn't that it makes you chant the incantation so much as that it kicks you straight into NG+ without asking. That sucks.

Picking the option from the menu would kind of... I don't know, homogenise a wonderfully unique thing for such a high budget game?

This DLC has to be the straight forward integration From has done. I don't think it's even possible to not know how to access the DLC. The item is right there when you go back to Hunter's Dream post Amelia. Read it and it literally spells out exactly where to go. Getting to Amelia in NG+ is 45 minutes at most unless you're playing the game like you did the first time. Pretty sure you could get to her in as fast as 20 minutes without being a superman MLG pro.

It wouldn't hurt to have to have a prompt to move to NG+ like DS2 though.

Rozart

Where do you meet that guy? because I seem to have missed his normal form and he keeps invading me, even if I've killed the fucker.

Yea what Kamina said.

I assume you've found the key though?
If you haven't, it's at the 2nd lantern at the Fishing Hamlet Village. Simon (I assume that's who he is anyway) is lying on the floor dying and he drops it after you've talked to him twice.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
But in Demon's Souls, you don't discover any areas, they are all accessed by archstones- it wouldn't make sense in that game. In Bloodborne, you have to find the lamps to activate the stones, thats how it works the whole game. And its also very important for the story that its clear you are being pulled into another dimension, and it also hammers in that point which was established by the previous Amygdala.

And even then, picking up the blooddrunk eye gives you a message which tells you with very little subtly that you need to get grabbed.

Yeah I don't know, just trying to sympathize!

This DLC has to be the straight forward integration From has done. I don't think it's even possible to not know how to access the DLC. The item is right there when you go back to Hunter's Dream post Amelia. Read it and it literally spells out exactly where to go. Getting to Amelia in NG+ is 45 minutes at most unless you're playing the game like you did the first time. Pretty sure you could get to her in as fast as 20 minutes without being a superman MLG pro.

It wouldn't hurt to have to have a prompt to move to NG+ like DS2 though.

Does the message actually say which one to get grabbed by? I never read it to be honest.

And yeah I agree with your NG+ point. Worse case scenario in accessing the DLC is you just started a NG+ cycle and didn't progress at all yet, but I don't see how getting to Amelia would take hours.

I fortified Fist of Gratia to +10 on my STR character

it still sucks lol
. It does stagger in 2 hits though against large enemies, though I rather just hit them normally for more damage, stagger in a few more hits with a weapon, and have a gun to parry. I got all the trophies for Bloodborne, am I suppose to get a theme somehow?

Tingle

I fortified Fist of Gratia to +10 on my STR character

it still sucks lol
. It does stagger in 2 hits though against large enemies, though I rather just hit them normally for more damage, stagger in a few more hits with a weapon, and have a gun to parry. I got all the trophies for Bloodborne, am I suppose to get a theme somehow?

When did you get all of the non-DLC achievements? I heard the cutoff was Nov. 16, but I'm not sure anybody has gotten their theme yet. So if you did meet that cutoff, I would just keep waiting.

Top Bottom