• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

When did you get all of the non-DLC achievements? I heard the cutoff was Nov. 16, but I'm not sure anybody has gotten their theme yet. So if you did meet that cutoff, I would just keep waiting.

Ah, too late then. I held off on unlocking the bad ending for too long. Oh well, thanks for the info.

The core complaint about being kicked into NG+ is a valid one - I agree with the suggestions that it should at least start a new save file instead of overwriting your existing one.

The rest of what McElroy is saying is idiotic. Getting to the DLC in NG+ is trivially easy, and hiding content behind "incantations" is part of what makes these games so great. Everyone playing these games knows how to Google for help if they can't figure out how to get into the DLC.

Ferr986

My test character has 50/50/50 STR/SKL/ARC. My first MLGS tests were at 25 ARC at which point physical gems outperformed everything else. At 50 ARC I switched to all nourishing gems which slightly reduced 1H dmg (only by about 50 damage per charge R2) but added a SHITLOAD of damage to the transformed attacks that use bullets. Double 2H charge R2 combo into L1 does 6000 damage on Watchers in R/F/C depth 5 Ihyll. The L2 poke counter damage is 2000+. This weapon is insane! And I say that after throwing it into my stash after I first got it because I was so disappointed in the moveset before really trying it properly.

Ah well yeah, at 50 in everything I supose is better than regular Ludwig sword. I was more thinking about a 100 or 120 cap. MLGS doesn't seem suited for caps, because either you give up the special attacks (and even so I don't think it would beat Ludwigs better scaling) or are left with bad regular damage.

Also, nourishing are the gems that comes from Chalice Amy?

Imru’ al-Qays;187391748 said:
The core complaint about being kicked into NG+ is a valid one - I agree with the suggestions that it should at least start a new save file instead of overwriting your existing one.

The rest of what McElroy is saying is idiotic. Getting to the DLC in NG+ is trivially easy, and hiding content behind "incantations" is part of what makes these games so great. Everyone playing these games knows how to Google for help if they can't figure out how to get into the DLC.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if NG+ didn't raise the difficulty. Even if someone Googles how to reach the DLC off the start of NG+, they're still probably fucked in the long run. Most people probably complete the game around level 70-75, so add maybe five more levels after speedrunning Gascoigne/Amelia, and that puts the player at around level 80 for the DLC. Shortly after, and barring the player being very highly skilled, Ludwig will be crushing their dreams.

Maybe this is getting away from the original complaint, but whatever. In any case, I absolutely think NG+ should use a different save file. Even if it's optional to move into like DS2, this would still prevent the player from alienating themselves from future DLC that they might not be expecting or aware of when they choose to enter NG+.

Roussow

Went up against the first boss, L
udwig
for the first time, well actually, first 12 times. Made the most progress when I summoned (obviously), just the local npc hunter, it helped so I could sit back and study the boss's patterns. But i'm just having a crazy hard time with that first phase. I think I need some more endurance, you need to be constantly under or behind the boss, most attacks with my Whirligig from the front missed his head entirely at reasonable range. But both his charge attack, and his ceiling drop are one-hits (for me currently), he's a tough son of a bitch, reminds of both the Blood-Starved Beast and Darkbeast Paarl. But then that second phase happens, man that's a pretty spectacular moment, I just wish I could get good enough to see it through!

Anyone know a good chalice dungeon to farm blood rocks and some good physical based gems? If you could share that glyph and chalice info that would be very strawberry shortcake of you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It wouldn't be such a big deal if NG+ didn't raise the difficulty. Even if someone Googles how to reach the DLC off the start of NG+, they're still probably fucked in the long run. Most people probably complete the game around level 70-75, so add maybe five more levels after speedrunning Gascoigne/Amelia, and that puts the player at around level 80 for the DLC. Shortly after, and barring the player being very highly skilled, Ludwig will be crushing their dreams.

Maybe this is getting away from the original complaint, but whatever. In any case, I absolutely think NG+ should use a different save file. Even if it's optional to move into like DS2, this would still prevent the player from alienating themselves from future DLC that they might not be expecting or aware of when they choose to enter NG+.

very true

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just a few questions, as I'm thinking about buying it this evening.

I'm lvl 100 and a good way through ng+, just before Micolash. Am I past the dlc point or can I just go whenever?

Also, I still have yet to get the rock in this play through, should I just keep it to upgrade two dlc weps?

Orrrrr do you guys recommend starting a fresh character, something I'm reluctant to do but will if it's worth it.

myco666

Seriously people suggesting that you should be able to roll lvl65 character from the menu? I really can't comprehend how someone can think that would be good idea in these games and Witcher 3 isn't good comparison. Also accessing the DLC is really straightfowarded. You play to certain story point to unlock an item that you can't miss and when you pick it you get a message telling exactly what to do. This just sounds like complaining for sake of complaining.

Getting thrown into NG+ can be annoying I get that and I would maybe prefer it working like DaS2 but considering all of the endings it wouldn't make sense for you to be able to explore Yharnam after those endings.

I think the Church Pick's 1H R1 spam is not very fun and the 2H R1 feels like weaker DPS than 1H mode. The Bloodletter's spammy 2H R1 is cool but you get punished just like with the speed ramp up of BoM. I can imagine the Bloodletter performing great in PVP because of the speed and range it provides if used correctly. But for PVE/Chalice runs? I think there are better options except for pure SKL builds where I would choose Church Pick over everything else.

Also none of these weapons are "bad". They just don't stand out compared to the rest. I still managed to clear a R/F/C Ihyll dungeon with Bow Blade alone (not as a ranged replacement) so even the "utter crap" part works only in context to what other DLC weapons bring to the table in the form of varied move sets or damage output in real boss fights.

I don't really get that 'you get punished' when using Bloodletter R1. You get punished from spamming R1 with any weapon. Only problem I have with it is no overhead attack until third R1. Had problems hitting Amygdala in the face because of it. Also the L2 is pretty ridiculous if you have high frenzy resist.

edit.
Just a few questions, as I'm thinking about buying it this evening.

I'm lvl 100 and a good way through ng+, just before Micolash. Am I past the dlc point or can I just go whenever?

Also, I still have yet to get the rock in this play through, should I just keep it to upgrade two dlc weps?

Orrrrr do you guys recommend starting a fresh character, something I'm reluctant to do but will if it's worth it.

You are never locked out of the DLC once you reach certain storypoint. I would recommend to beat Micholash and farm in Mergos Loft middle to get few levels. Make sure you have 40-50Vit when you enter the DLC.

I'm only missing
the top from bloodied armour set that he drops. I've gotten invaded 3 times now and I've only just gotten around to unlocking the door to his room.
The head piece drops from the invasion right in front of the jail cell where the Churck Pick hunter is.

Found the hardest part of the DLC. That one chest in the
balcony above where you fight human Amelia
. Can't make that jump. Just can't.

Is it just FROM trolling?

laxu

Beat
Maria
last night. The
Living Failures
before her were a pretty poor boss - just really easy apart from the meteor shower and that was the only visually interesting aspect too.

But oh boy,
Maria
fight was a real treat! While it took me several tries I didn't feel frustrated because it didn't require a long time to run to the boss and the boss fight never felt unfair - I knew that every time I died it was because my dodge timing was off or I dodged in the wrong direction. New favorite boss of the game for me.

That said, I still feel that NG+ ups the health bars and damage enemies do too much. While I can deal with it, I need a pretty damn beefed character for it. Right now I have:

VIT 50 (a real must have)
END 40
STR 50
SKL 50
BT 14
ARC 26

With +10 Ludwig Holy Blade (2x 18% phys and 1x 16% phys ATK gems) and +8 Burial Blade (can't remember the gems, one bolt one is there tho) and feel it still takes a shitload of hits to down many enemies in the DLC. For example the basic spear guys in
Fishing Hamlet
take 1 R2 and 1 R1 hit or 3 R1 hits from one handed Ludwig to kill. You'd think I would cut through them like butter at this level.

The only hunter in
Research Hall
seemed to have almost as much HP as bosses and so far I've only managed to kill him twice - once so that I died at the same time and again by dropping him down. Didn't even drop anything, the bastard!

Switch Back 9

edit.

You are never locked out of the DLC once you reach certain storypoint. I would recommend to beat Micholash and farm in Mergos Loft middle to get few levels. Make sure you have 40-50Vit when you enter the DLC.

Farm some echoes eh, I was trying to stay around lvl 100, or is that not a thing anymore? Is there a standard SL for pvp anymore?

Akara

Banned

Don't give up, I kept failing after like 20 tries then finally got it and can do it easily LOL I now have 1.4billion echoes, wtf is wrong with me.

Donos

mclroy writes that you need 4-5 hours to reach VA in ng÷ which is bs except if you count 3 hours of trying to beat father g again. i took me over an hour and that only because i tried it by memory and got lost a bit. gaffers posted that you can do it in 30min.
Granted i had +10 Ludwig and top tier gems from my platinum chalice runs which maybe other people don't get in their normal playthrough so father g and VA could pose a bigger roadblock to the dlc in NG+. But then again it only prepares you for the beating you get in the dlc starting area and with L.

Dark souls dlc access was really a bit... well but this one in BB is way better. FROM does things a bit different and i have no problem with it.

Arjen

Jump a little later than what seems logical, that worked for me, it's absolutely doable.

myco666

Farm some echoes eh, I was trying to stay around lvl 100, or is that not a thing anymore? Is there a standard SL for pvp anymore?

Well you can go try it on lvl100 but the bosses will probably kill you in few hits if you don't have that high Vit. There is still plenty of PVP action at lvl120. Atleast I could invade at that level very fast.

edit.
mclroy writes that you need 4-5 hours to reach VA in ng÷ which is bs except if you count 3 hours of trying to beat father g again. i took me over an hour and that only because i tried it by memory and got lost a bit. gaffers posted that you can do it in 30min.
Granted i had +10 Ludwig and top tier gems from my platinum chalice runs which maybe other people don't get in their normal playthrough so father g and VA could pose a bigger roadblock to the dlc in NG+. But then again it only prepares you for the beating you get in the dlc starting area and with L.

In 4-5 hours you are already past Rom without rushing if you know where to go and beat bosses first go on NG. In NG+ you should be get to the DLC in less than 30 minutes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Fully agree.
I'm a lvl 190 in NG+ and everything just has waaaay too much HP, IMHO.
My L1 transformed Threaded Cane with an R2 deals close to 1000 damage and it still takes a shitload of hits to take down a boss. That's just one example but still...

Either way, love the DLC. I think it pretty much solidifed BB as my 2015 GOTY. Sorry Geralt, sorry Big Boss. #SorryNotSorry :D

Switch Back 9

Well you can go try it on lvl100 but the bosses will probably kill you in few hits if you don't have that high Vit. There is still plenty of PVP action at lvl120. Atleast I could invade at that level very fast.
Ah ok cool. And you'd recommend dumping that into vitality?

Thanks

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can anything besides the Bloodletter be used to cause Frenzy?

I wonder if any bosses or enemies can be frenzied. Assuming no.

Carcetti

These game journalists whining on twitter about the DLC is bonkers.

I guess they could have let you access the nightmare tombstone immediately, but how is it taking someone 5 hours to unlock it in NG+?

Good question. I'm not even good at these games but I did the DLC with a new character, then went on to my ng plus character that hadn't even done the Cleric beast yet and doing first bosses was super fast, especially when you have summons galore. Then it completely stalled because I started farming chunks for the Pizza Cutter.

Manu

Oh please, explain why Fume Knight is "going out of your way to make the game purposefully harder", but, say, Laurence or the two shark creatures in the well or whatever, aren't doing that somehow?

No, joining Covenant of Champions is going out of your way to make the game harder.

He said "Crown of the Iron King on Champions."

gogosox82

Yeah, I mean I've gotten to the One Reborn in 4 hours so it sounds like Mclroy is a bit rusty and maybe doesn't have the greatest gems since the gems in the main game aren't that great compared to the ones you can get in the dungeon. Unless you get lucky with the winter lanterns, you probably won't even get a cursed gem until the dungeons. Just having one of those curse gems boosts your damage so much that it kind of trivializes a lot of encounters in the main game.

Carcetti

That reminds me, where can I get really good gems for Kos Parasite? I love the moveset but I'm not sure the damage is gonna cut it in NG+ even with 50 ARC.

Didn't realize that I nailed my trophy screenshot last week lol
1448962016-bloodborne-tm-20151125233748-1.jpg

Carcetti

Up your ARC more and use hunter tools! Very fun.

Guess that makes sense...! I just figured diminishing returns would make it not so great but the tools are already great at 50. With the eyeball and the curse skull it's like playing a mage in Souls.

Just to let you guys know the pizza cutter maxed out is OP as Fuck. The press and hold L2 attack is basically auto win.

Yes it is. I would have had a clip of mowing the lawn on Micolash's ass, but share play stopped it from being recorded :(. Pinned him to a wall and watched his HP just fuckin' melt.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet. The pizza cutter is the most fun weapon in Soulsborne history.

Mutombo

I just upgraded my church pick to +9 and I'm really digging it. The 2 handed attacks have great range and are, for its range, really fast. Skill B skilling, I hope the +10 will give me A.

I'm doing the Ailing Loran Chalice and I'm fighting the abhorrent beast. His first half is quite easy, but I have to change my strategy when he changes his... but I don't really know how. Normally I rolled to his left when he starts doing his punches, but he keeps adding punches so he keeps hitting me on my rolls.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Guess that makes sense...! I just figured diminishing returns would make it not so great but the tools are already great at 50. With the eyeball and the curse skull it's like playing a mage in Souls.

Yeah it's pretty fun. The scaling of tools is different than weapons which is why past 50 is not only fine but recommended if you're going to be using them a lot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...O_7AFedTUbruJhpHD2o9LxAYOI/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1

I just upgraded my church pick to +9 and I'm really digging it. The 2 handed attacks have great range and are, for its range, really fast. Skill B skilling, I hope the +10 will give me A.

I'm doing the Ailing Loran Chalice and I'm fighting the abhorrent beast. His first half is quite easy, but I have to change my strategy when he changes his... but I don't really know how. Normally I rolled to his left when he starts doing his punches, but he keeps adding punches so he keeps hitting me on my rolls.

Church Pick bros.

Also use poison knives for that garbagio boss. Hate Abhorrent Beast.

Finished the DLC (overleveled on NG...) with all trophies, armor-sets and hunter tools.
I really like it, but i think that AotA from DS 1 and the DLC triology from DS 2 were better (imo).

Disclaimer: The following text contains spoiler of the last and an optional boss.

Some of the bosses were just too hard for the sake of it, i know Souls/Bloodborne should be challenging, but wow, especially O
rphan of Kos' second form
and L
aurence
were beyond stupid sometimes.

Didn't help that (i guess due to my high Lvl) summoning didn't work many times, and if it worked, i got players who died within 30 seconds of the boss fight. :(
Imo, the best thing you can do as a summoned helper (besides additional damage to the boss) is to aggro the boss and thus enable the summoner to get some healing/prep time.

In the end, i got lucky with O
rphan of Kos
and got him down solo on the 4th try, and beat L
aurence
with the help of a NPC summon in front of the boss-room.

drotahorror

What level were you @Bots? I got fed up with L and the Well and decided to level up a bit, hit 105 and beasted both of them.

Also...

Is there a way to figure out what new game you're on?

gogosox82

Try dodging to the right. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Cool thanks. How's the uncanny?

Here's a good show of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpGRB-Lk00A&ab_channel=GAB

Better than the normal one at least for shooting (although he's using blood attack radials there). Not so much for regular attacks though. Guess it kinda depends on your playstyle whether you use the normal blade form or not. Generally the bladeform isn't really worth it though imo at least. I mean if you have a bloodtinge build I'm guessing you're already using a Chikage or Bloodletter and the bladeform doesn't come close to either or actually most close range weapons. It can be adequate mind you, but you get the point.

p3n

Ah well yeah, at 50 in everything I supose is better than regular Ludwig sword. I was more thinking about a 100 or 120 cap. MLGS doesn't seem suited for caps, because either you give up the special attacks (and even so I don't think it would beat Ludwigs better scaling) or are left with bad regular damage.

Also, nourishing are the gems that comes from Chalice Amy?

Nourishing triangles come from chalice Amy in Isz, yes. The radials come either from chalice Rom or Gargoyles in Pthumeru Ihyll. Gargoyles are obviously much easier since you can find them near some lamps and you don't have to reset the dungeon each time (just need some paper).

Top Bottom