• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ludwig was the first boss since Orstein and Smough that actually elevated my skill-level noticeably while playing a Souls game. Like, challenging enemies in the DLC that I've revisited are now much easier to deal with. It's nice.

I'd like to get back into Chalice dungeons and get to Yharnam. I can't at all remember where I got up to, but I think I might have unlocked a sinister version of one of the levels. I could google this, but does anyone have any recommendations for good Chalice guides? Both material locations and play-order.

Ludwig was the first boss since Orstein and Smough that actually elevated my skill-level noticeably while playing a Souls game. Like, challenging enemies in the DLC that I've revisited are now much easier to deal with. It's nice.

I'd like to get back into Chalice dungeons and get to Yharnam. I can't at all remember where I got up to, but I think I might have unlocked a sinister version of one of the levels. I could google this, but does anyone have any recommendations for good Chalice guides? Both material locations and play-order.

You just need to beat the chalices in the order you unlock them and you'll get a new ritual piece for higher depths.

For example, beat the Pthumeru, lower Pthumeru, hintertomb, lower hintertomb, etc. Pretty straightforward and you'll get items for the new rituals by exploring and killing guys.

He's allowed to have an opinion, but Bloodborne is one of the easier ones to access DLC out of the Souls games. I guess he just wasn't aware of how From does things. I suppose it's a valid criticism for people who don't want to spend the time, but I have to wonder, because the Souls games are kind of anti-convenience. It's just in their nature. I guess you can't please everyone. Means you should probably do your homework before you press that button to buy an expansion.

He supposedly shoud be aware of how From does things because in his article he claims to be a fan of the series. Add to that Klepek's comment, who also claims to be a huge fan, and we've got two loud voices in the industry that go against most of the community. I have not kept up with this thread for the entirety of it but I have not seen complaints about not knowing how to access the DLC or people being surprised or irritated at the NG+ difficulty.

I kind of want to make a thread about that polygon article and the tweets surrounding it. To me it feels like people who aren't fans wanting the game to be tailored to their tastes. McElroy already is notorious for fucking over a cult classic because of his Nier fishing video.

CHC

I also must be missing something, since I'm not really seeing how the Hamlet and the Woods are all that similar.

They're both shanty towns outside Yharnam, both with caves around them, both with a central pit area under the town square, both featuring elevated wooden bridges and round stone towers. I mean they're far from identical and I know those comparisons are general, but I still think there are a lot of other intriguing places the expansion could have explored. Hamlet was far from bad, but it just didn't thrill me like Research Hall did - that place felt very fresh and distinct from the main game.

These game journalists whining on twitter about the DLC is bonkers.

I guess they could have let you access the nightmare tombstone immediately, but how is it taking someone 5 hours to unlock it in NG+?

I agree, that's a completely silly complaint. This a Souls game, if the DLC WASN'T completely obscure and difficult to discover, that would be a disappointment. I hope From never listens to these kinds of complaints - it really takes a very short amount of time to access the stuff and some critics are acting as if replaying a small part of the core game is some kind of horrible punishment.

it really takes a very short amount of time to access the stuff and some critics are acting as if replaying a small part of the core game is some kind of horrible punishment.

They seem to be completely unaware to the fact that these games are made to be incredibly replayable to the point where playing through them just once is doing them a disservice. How they can claim to be fans is beyond me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
He supposedly shoud be aware of how From does things because in his article he claims to be a fan of the series. Add to that Klepek's comment, who also claims to be a huge fan, and we've got two loud voices in the industry that go against most of the community. I have not kept up with this thread for the entirety of it but I have not seen complaints about not knowing how to access the DLC or people being surprised or irritated at the NG+ difficulty.

I kind of want to make a thread about that polygon article and the tweets surrounding it. To me it feels like people who aren't fans wanting the game to be tailored to their tastes. McElroy already is notorious for fucking over a cult classic because of his Nier fishing video.

Oh come on, dude. You don't need to be threatened by this sort of thing. These guys play a lot of video games and are both advocates of the Souls series. Some people aren't going to like being saddled with obscure challenges, some will. The crux of the argument, again, is totally justified. The game boots you into NG+ without warning. Players who aren't Souls veterans and/or haven't played since March will probably spend hours getting their ass handed to them in NG+ DLC-land. Starting a new character means levelling a character up to, what, mid-60s to be super generous, probably level 80 or so to be comfortable?

It's a real problem, even if the way we play the game means we were well prepared for it ahead of time. It can be obscure and weird and something we're both really into, and it can also be a real problem for other players. These things can both be true in the world at the same time. FROM probably isn't sweating.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Imru’ al-Qays;187363779 said:
He was referring to the Champions covenant as "going out of your way to make the game purposefully harder," not Fume Knight.
No, joining Covenant of Champions is going out of your way to make the game harder.

He said "Crown of the Iron King on Champions."
Oh, I see. Well even without Champions, I think Crown of the Iron King is harder than the Old Hunters.

So I just about finished up the DLC - here are my thoughts, briefly:

Pros:

The Research Hall is fantastic, and it was great to finally meet some major characters from the lore (though Laurence was a major let down....) There was some really interesting new weapons and equipment, which I think everyone agrees was much needed from the core game. Sure, they're not all useful, but I appreciate some gimmicky pieces like the Whirlygig. And MLGS coming back.... I smiled ear to ear when that happened.

Cons:

A few.... unfortunately.

The biggest was the generally frustrating nature of many elements of a lot of the fights. From overly chaotic and messy boss phases (Ludwig P1, Orphan P2) to the ridiculous tracking and accuracy of what appeared to be big, clumsy enemies (fish-men, axe wielders by Cathedral). I really can only whole heartedly say that I LOVED one of the bosses (Maria), the rest I found to be generally messy and frustrating - the camera only exacerbated this. I'm a long time Souls player so it's not really a matter of difficulty. That I can deal with. It's just that more often than not I found myself frustrated by no-win situations in the fights or a totally unclear sense of where the boss was or what was coming next. It felt as though a lot of the battles were programmed to be brutally difficult at all costs, rather than the dance-like stand offs that most of the main game's boss fights were.

The levels were another let down for me. I absolutely loved the Research Hall, but Hunter's Nightmare was basically all places we have seen before, connected by rocks, blood and corpses. The Fishing Hamlet was a less interesting version of the town in Forbidden Woods, and also seemed strangely sparse and lacking in graphical fidelity. For a DLC this compact, I really didn't enjoy seeing reused locations - everything should have matched the tightness of the middle section. Laurence was another insult - literally a recycled boss in a recycled room. I know the lore paints him as the first Cleric beast, but that doesn't mean he has to be identical in almost every way to the first boss.

Anyway, I supposed I enjoyed parts of it, but overall Old Hunters left me feeling kind of unsatisfied. There are a LOT of places they could have explored given the implications of the main game and how deep and dense a place Yarnham is, so I'm a little sorry to see that abandoned in favor of a more linear and less convincinly connected nightmare area.

If I had to give a number I'd put it at a 7/10, mainly because my love of the core game kept me engaged enough to get through it.

I also really don't agree re: the fishing hamlet, and I think the bosses are pretty damn good. However I agree about the recycled assets, the beginning of the Nightmare is not very impressive as it pretty much recycles Yharnam with some nightmare assets, the river of blood being the only sorta unique feature. That was rather disappointing. Even the Research Hall recycles some assets from the clinic and some chalice dungeons even.

But, well, this is a Miyazaki game so don't expect this game to get nearly as much shit as DS2 did for recycling Smelter Demon. ;)

This is so stupid. All previous Souls games were like that; you need to progress a bit into the main game to access the DLC. In Dark Souls it was way worse, you needed to clear half the game and it was very obtuse. Sure it sucks to be taken into NG+ automatically (really wonder why they didn't take the cue from DS2 there) but that's why I kept my characters (other than my first one who is in NG+++) in NG, right before Mergo's Wet Nurse (I didn't want the
dream on fire
haha). Still, it's accessed really early compared to previous Souls games, if you really want to do it in NG, just make a new character and go kill Amelia, it doesn't take long at all when you know where to go.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The difference of the DLC between NG and NG+ is so staggering to the point that I honestly think From should have done a better job of balancing the difficulty jump between NG and NG+ and beyond.

I personally would have liked it better if the difficulty would just remain the same in between NG and NG+ so people can try out many different stuff without worrying of the game suddenly jumping the difficulty in such an unbalanced way. Though I suppose this method is not without weakness too hmmm... well I don't know, I merely voicing out my opinion, hahah.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I can't find an enemy with high enough HP to test this but I think the Church Pick R2 as a backstab is bugged. I posted a page or two ago but you can basically do a charge R2 as a back stagger thing, do the followup R2 to get visceral level damage, but leave them open for a backstab letting you get 3 hits in.

Oh come on, dude. You don't need to be threatened by this sort of thing. These guys play a lot of video games and are both advocates of the Souls series. Some people aren't going to like being saddled with obscure challenges, some will. The crux of the argument, again, is totally justified. The game boots you into NG+ without warning. Players who aren't Souls veterans and/or haven't played since March will probably spend hours getting their ass handed to them in NG+ DLC-land. Starting a new character means levelling a character up to, what, mid-60s to be super generous, probably level 80 or so to be comfortable?

It's a real problem, even if the way we play the game means we were well prepared for it ahead of time. It can be obscure and weird and something we're both really into, and it can also be a real problem for other players. These things can both be true in the world at the same time. FROM probably isn't sweating.

Got my ass handed to me and haven't played since March. Was a great ass handing though the PS blog should've been more succinct and detailed cause I had to go to a different site to find out how to access the dlc.

caesar

Banned
Oh, I see. Well even without Champions, I think Crown of the Iron King is harder than the Old Hunters.

I also really don't agree re: the fishing hamlet, and I think the bosses are pretty damn good. However I agree about the recycled assets, the beginning of the Nightmare is not very impressive as it pretty much recycles Yharnam with some nightmare assets, the river of blood being the only sorta unique feature. That was rather disappointing. Even the Research Hall recycles some assets from the clinic and some chalice dungeons even.

But, well, this is a Miyazaki game so don't expect this game to get nearly as much shit as DS2 did for recycling Smelter Demon. ;)

This is so stupid. All previous Souls games were like that; you need to progress a bit into the main game to access the DLC. In Dark Souls it was way worse, you needed to clear half the game and it was very obtuse. Sure it sucks to be taken into NG+ automatically (really wonder why they didn't take the cue from DS2 there) but that's why I kept my characters (other than my first one who is in NG+++) in NG, right before Mergo's Wet Nurse (I didn't want the
dream on fire
haha). Still, it's accessed really early compared to previous Souls games, if you really want to do it in NG, just make a new character and go kill Amelia, it doesn't take long at all when you know where to go.

Smelter Demon was a pain in the ass and they knew it! ><

Derpot

Most games don't force the player into NG+ (where the game gets even more challenging). For Souls this could be somewhat circumvented by having NG+ become a separate save file - preserving the original playthrough after it's over and allowing immediate access to DLC at a difficulty that the player is more comfortable with.

edit - I also prepped characters for the DLC. After my original playthrough which I took to NG+, I made new Strength, Skill, and Quality characters, and cleared everything up to the end of NG (killed Gehrman and purposely lost to Moon Presence so I could continue playing). But I'm also hardcore as fuck and Bloodborne is one of my favorite games ever. I doubt the majority of players do this, and are stuck on NG+ where the difficulty is ramped up and significant leveling (and thus content clearing) may be necessary to offset the challenge.

to be fair; i was a bit frustrated accessing the dlc as well. Like many others, I had a level 90 character on NG+, and was almost ready to acces the DLC immediately... with the problem that the first boss gave me quite a hard time, because I needed to git gud again.

The other option was to start a new character. But I couldn't get past the friggin Cleric Beast.

So for me as a player I have to deal with it. But for reviewers? I can understand the frustration.

Well, git gud.

Ah this, I can understand that the game forcing you to play on NG+ is frustrating, I wished they did a system like in DSII where you actually choose when you want to go on NG+.
But Bloodborne was released like 8 months ago, so I thought people actually knew that the game forces you to go on NG+ when you beat the final boss.

But yeah, when you don't want to do a new character, that can be frustrating. I can understand.

Auctopus

Salt incarnate.

My first attempt at the DLC was on a NG+ character and I went as soon as I could, after Vicar Amelia. But it was too hard.

Then I found out it's late game DLC. So I took a character that had only beat Cleric beast and spent a few hours getting to Micolash/Wet Nurse then went back and had a great time (despite it being very difficult).

This just sounds like McElroy being salty that it's too hard. If he liked BB as much as he claims, quickly replaying the story wouldn't bother him at all.

I will agree that the NG+ health pools are a little too big though. I even noticed that with Cleric Beast.

What level were you @Bots? I got fed up with L and the Well and decided to level up a bit, hit 105 and beasted both of them.
Yeah, my char was lvl 114, like i said overleveled for the DLC on NG, thanks to those darned Chalice dungeons, which won't be missed in a possible sequel.

Still, O
rphan of Kos
or L
aurence
were able to 2HKO me ... which shouldn't really be possible with such an overleveled char. ^^

I'm playing the DLC with a New Game++ character and it's hard as hell, but I'm loving every minute of it.

The first boss is so ridiculously agressive that it's a rather stressful fight, but every attack is dodgeable. Even though he's been kicking my ass all over the place, it's probably my favorite boss in the game so far. His first phase alone has about ten different attacks and then he transforms and it becomes something else entirely. Phenomenal music as well.

This is my favorite game of all time and I'm gaming since the C64 days.

Ferr986

Nourishing triangles come from chalice Amy in Isz, yes. The radials come either from chalice Rom or Gargoyles in Pthumeru Ihyll. Gargoyles are obviously much easier since you can find them near some lamps and you don't have to reset the dungeon each time (just need some paper).

Yikes, I don't think I can deal with grinding Amy lol

p3n

I can't find an enemy with high enough HP to test this but I think the Church Pick R2 as a backstab is bugged. I posted a page or two ago but you can basically do a charge R2 as a back stagger thing, do the followup R2 to get visceral level damage, but leave them open for a backstab letting you get 3 hits in.

All weapons with R2 combos can do this provided you do it on enemies that don't fall easily and you do hit them in the right frame window. Chikage, Cane, MLGS are the ones I pulled it off with before. You can also chain charge with some fast weapons like the Saw Spear.

Yikes, I don't think I can deal with grinding Amy lol

Yesterday I did some quick R/F/C Amy runs with the Lost Bow Blade. Fight takes longer than Moonlight-Murder-Action (~2min compared to 1min) but it is very safe if you know how to spot the phase 3 attacks with ripped-off arms.

Audioboxer

Just met Simon early on in the DLC (I think it's Simon anyway, he's at a shortcut). Can I kill him to get the bowblade or will it lock me out of future DLC quests/items? I swiped him once by accident thinking he was an enemy lol, but he's remained neutral.

SilentRob

This just sounds like McElroy being salty that it's too hard. If he liked BB as much as he claims, quickly replaying the story wouldn't bother him at all.

This is crazy. You are saying a man is "salty" (what does that even mean, honestly?) because he wants access to the new content he bought without having to replay all the content he has already played. He says he doesn't enjoy it, which is more than understandable - maybe he doesn't have the time to replay a game in the middle of the holiday season when seemingly dozens of other games are also coming out. Maybe he just doesn't have the time because his free time is limited because he has a family and other obligations. Maybe he simply wants to play what he has paid for without having to replay content he doesn't feel like playing.

And even if he DOES replay the content until Amelia in NG+ - he then has to realise that the DLC is much, much harder than the base game was and he is completely underleveled to play it at that point in NG+. So he either has to live with that difficulty spike (you would be about Level 70, 80 when approaching rushing through NG+ to get to Amelia and starting the DLC? Yeah, have fun fighting
Lawrence and Ludwig
like that) or he has to start leveling his character in the main game OR he has to start a new character and level him to 50, 60 and then start the DLC in NG.

None of this is ideal. I'd much rather have played the DLC in NG-mode but instead had to go for it in NG++, resulting in me having to summon help during two bossfights whithout ever having done so in any other Soulsborne game, simply because the Boss turned into tanks with huge amounts of health. I wanted to use my main character I played through the game twice with and i simply didn't have the time to level a new character to play the DLC in NG-mode, so this was the only choice I had to access the content I payed for. Because of that, said content wasn't as fun as it could have been. For me, with choosing this way to present the DLC to me, From Soft made their game actively worse . If you want to call me or anyone else "salty" for criticising that, sure, but it's a terrible counter argument to a valid source of complaint.

konjak

I want the Lost bow but since there's no online I can't do glyphs and I'm kinda hating making random chalices, hah. Is there any kind of technique for increased likelihood for merchants, at least?

This is just journalistic privilege. They just want to write about it asap and feel wronged because you can't access the DLC immediately. If they started a new character and stepped in to the DLC immediately, wouldn't they be whining about how stupidly difficult it is?

Since the first information about the DLC it's been clear that it would be accessed at some point during the game and would be aimed at late/end game characters just like the Souls DLCs.

None of this is ideal. I'd much rather have played the DLC in NG-mode but instead had to go for it in NG++, resulting in me having to summon help during two bossfights whithout ever having done so in any other Soulsborne game, simply because the Boss turned into tanks with huge amounts of health. I wanted to use my main character I played through the game twice with and i simply didn't have the time to level a new character to play the DLC in NG-mode, so this was the only choice I had to access the content I payed for. Because of that, said content wasn't as fun as it could have been. For me, with choosing this way to present the DLC to me, From Soft made their game actively worse . If you want to call me or anyone else "salty" for criticising that, sure, but it's a terrible counter argument to a valid source of complaint.

It's a valid complaint and I get that not everyone is happy with it.

I absolutely love the New Game++ challenge however. Yes, you have to hit bosses quite a bit (though it's not THAT bad) and they hit ridiculously hard themselves, but I love that, I felt I had to really up my game (more so than at any moment in the main game) and I can now dodge pretty much anything Ludwig throws at me in that first phase.

I will admit that I am the type of gamer who embraces things like Master Ninja mode, so I'm on the masochistic side of things. ;)

Knuf

These game journalists whining on twitter about the DLC is bonkers.

I guess they could have let you access the nightmare tombstone immediately, but how is it taking someone 5 hours to unlock it in NG+?

After having beaten Amelia on my NG+ last night, I find those whining really dumb considering they're coming from gaming "journalists": I mean, sure it took me 3 play sessions to eventually get there, but a) I can only game at night, and for 2/3 hours tops, meanwhile those guys can play all day if they want to, and being even paid to do so, b) if you decide to rush to Amelia, you're missing out on the possibility of discovering a lot of details you probably already lost in your first playthrough: I know I did, so I'm reading/following my collector's guide this time around, c) it's amazing that even if it's been months since I completed BB, after an initial confusion on remembering controls, I still exactly know where to go and which enemy I'm going to find and how to deal with his/her attacking patterns, and d) this game is so fucking good that every boss is just as rewarding as it was the first time.
TL;DR: getting to the DLC area on NG+ is nothing but pure joy.

So it took you 6 to 9 hours to get to the DLC, which is exactly what he is complaining about and you are saying it's "dumb whining" because...they can play "all day if they want to"?

Man. Wow.

You're missing my point: it took me 6/9 hours because I chose to take my time to get there. I could have rushed to Amelia, so could have he.
You can get to Amelia in 1 hour if you really want, maybe even less and then easily beat her if you summon Henriette to help you, so why complain?

This all boils down to "I have the time to replay that content and I am having fun doing it, so they are dumb, salty and bad journalists because they think there could be better options!"

It's not like you have to go through all the bosses again, the option you want is already there: just beat Father Gascoigne and rush to Amelia and your DLC instantly unlocks.

SilentRob

After having beaten Amelia on my NG+ last night, I find those whining really dumb considering they're coming from gaming "journalists": I mean, sure it took me 3 play sessions to eventually get there, but a) I can only game at night, and for 2/3 hours tops, meanwhile those guys can play all day if they want to, and being even paid to do so, b) if you decide to rush to Amelia, you're missing out on the possibility of discovering a lot of details you probably already lost in your first playthrough: I know I did, so I'm reading/following my collector's guide this time around, c) it's amazing that even if it's been months since I completed BB, after an initial confusion on remembering controls, I still exactly know where to go and which enemy I'm going to find and how to deal with his/her attacking patterns, and d) this game is so fucking good that every boss is just as rewarding as it was the first time.

So it took you 6 to 9 hours to get to the DLC, which is exactly what he is complaining about and you are saying it's "dumb whining" because...they can play "all day if they want to"?

Man. Wow.

This all boils down to "I have the time to replay that content and I am having fun doing it, so they are dumb, salty and bad journalists because they think there could be better options!"

CHC

Man. Wow.

Or maybe he just enjoys playing the game either way? It's not really that it takes a long time that's the issue, it's more that a couple guys are overreacting by acting like having to play a few hours of the main game is some kind of horrible torture.

SilentRob

Or maybe he just enjoys playing the game either way? It's not really that it takes a long time that's the issue, it's more that a couple guys are overreacting by acting like having to play a few hours of the main game is some kind of horrible torture.

How are they overreacting and implying it's torture by saying "Hey! That's not great. I wish it was different"?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Many grown ups have a finite amount of time with which to play video games. Some have jobs, others family, and many more have both.

Laws00

I went back to one of my favorite games Dark Souls 1 to test something because of my ps3 laser and omg.

I never realized how slow the game was :(
I know its a different pace but wow. almost forgot i use a shield in that game.

Playing Bloodborne is nothing but pure joy!

And yea, I'm getting tired of people whining because they have to play a couple of hours before going into the DLC. And when they finally unlock the Hunter's Nightmare they'd whine more because L
udwig
is wiping the floor with them

Gbraga

Still didn't beat the Bleric Ceast :')

Starting to lose hope here. But my mentor, my guiding moonlight, will always be there for me, so I must persist.

p3n

I went back to one of my favorite games Dark Souls 1 to test something because of my ps3 laser and omg.

I never realized how slow the game was :(
I know its a different pace but wow. almost forgot i use a shield in that game.

Coming from Bloodborne and playing the Dark Souls 3 gamescom build was just like that AND the games have a comparable look to them because DkS3 is using the Bloodborne engine afaik. I was constantly trying to side step while locked on to enemies...

myco666

Man. Wow.

On NG+ you need to beat 2 bosses to get to the DLC so it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes unless you get stuck on either of the bosses. These journalists complain about how they have to do research about how to access the DLC when the sites they work have the info. I would say journalists should know every news their site has posted. Also none of the options these guys have given sound good to be honest.

edit.

Wasn't Smelter only a palette swap though? L has two totally new phases and even the regular moves have new properties.

On NG+ you need to beat 2 bosses to get to the DLC so it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes unless you get stuck on either of the bosses. These journalists complain about how they have to do research about how to access the DLC when the sites they work have the info. I would say journalists should know every news their site has posted. Also none of the options these guys have given sound good to be honest.

It does come off as feigned ignorance.

Laws00

Coming from Bloodborne and playing the Dark Souls 3 gamescom build was just like that AND the games have a comparable look to them because DkS3 is using the Bloodborne engine afaik. I was constantly trying to side step while locked on to enemies...

Its funny that at first when I was playing the game (bloodborne) i was saying i wish i had a shield to block stuff. later when i got better i didn't think that way. When I went to Play Dark Souls i'm thinking this shield is handicapping me.

I think I might need to change my play style around for dark souls 3

bloodborne made me in a sense a lot more braver and made me take risk i wouldn't have other wise did in dark souls

SilentRob

And if you do, you have to play through the DLC in NG+ mode without having leveled your character in NG+, adding additional challenge to the already more challenging NG+mode, making the game a whole lot harder than anything else and making it feel unbalanced. This is also explicitly what they are criticizing. If I want to enjoy the DLC the way it's "intended to be" the first time, without any modifications to the difficulty, I have to do so in NG-mode, which is impossible for me since I automatically got pushed into NG+.

Also: The fact you NEED to do research on how to access DLC you payed for is ridicolous and should be criticized. That's what they are doing.

It's not "MAN! I can't use the internet...what is this?! A PLaystation Blog? HUH?!"
It's "OK, so, why do i HAVE to research how to access the content I payed for outside of the game or the store page? How does the game benefit at all by not making that clear to me?" Valid questions.

Gbraga

Ok, about the current discussion, I have nothing against people who disagree with the way From do things, but is this "it's bullshit I have to do research on how to access it" for real?

How clearer do they have to make it to you? Here's what shows up on screen when you pick up the damn item:

"The Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter beckons hunters to the Hunter's Nightmare. A deformed creature will whisk you away outside Oedon Chapel."
PS: This is not an item description, it shows up as a prompt when you press X, you don't have to go out of your way AT ALL to read it, you just need to know how to read.

It's the same bullshit excuse people use to talk shit about the way they tell their stories and pretend there isn't one. They're too lazy and blame the game for that.

You don't like the way From does DLC? Fine, complain about it as much as you want, it's your right, and who knows, maybe they'll listen to you and make it more convenient in the next one, even if I think that integrating it into the main game makes it an objectively better product. So make your voices be heard, just don't make shit up to look right.

EDIT: If we were talking about Artorias of the Abyss, yeah, that's obtuse as shit (I still like it a lot, the idea of the community trying to figure out how to access it is amazing to me), but it wasn't anywhere near that for Dark Souls II, and it's not anywhere near that for Bloodborne.

Can help you if you want :p

I must do it alone, at least the first time :')

I thought playing the DLC on NG+3 would be EZ because the main game was kinda easy to me, but I was really really wrong, haha.

I loved getting my ass handed to me by the first boss, Firesage Beast is just a liiiittle bit of a bs boss fight imo. Still doable, I just need to git gud, but it's a pain in the ass.

And if you do, you have to play through the DLC in NG+ mode without having leveled your character in NG+, adding additional challenge to the more already more challenging NG+mode, making the game a whole lot harder than anything else and making it feel unbalanced.

Also: The fact you NEED to do research on how to access DLC you payed for is ridicolous and should be criticzsed. That's what they are doing.

It's not "MAN! I can't use the internet...what is this?! A PLaystation Blog? HUH?!"
It's "OK, so, why do i HAVE to research how to access the content I payed for outside of the game or the store page? How does the game benefit at all by not making that clear to me?"

Because discovery is a big part of the fun of the game? Hell, even if you play blind, the game practically spells out exactly what you need to do to access the DLC, it's literally impossible to miss.

re: DLC - I'd be surprised if most players even know where Oedon Chapel is by name lol. The message when picking up the Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter should have probably specified "near the Cathedral Ward lantern" :p

It's the name of one of the Lanterns...

The lantern in Oedon Chapel is called "Cathedral Ward" on the tombstone in the Dream. The only way the player would know the building is called Oedon Chapel is remembering the Wretch's first dialogue, or one of the prompts when sending the various Yharnamites there.

Gbraga

re: DLC - I'd be surprised if most players even know where Oedon Chapel is by name lol. The message when picking up the Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter should have probably specified "near the Cathedral Ward lantern" :p

That's their problem, I sure did since my first playthrough. Gehrman tells you "Ascend Oedon Chapel" as an objective after beating BSB, the Chapel Dweller NPC says "There's nothing to fear in this here Oedon Chapel", it's located above the Tomb of Oedon, you get a Formless Oedon rune by droping through the hole while ascending the elevator, the Dweller drops a Formless Oedon rune.

If you don't know that's Oedon Chapel, then you weren't paying attention. The game constantly asks you to use your brain and pay attention to it. You can't single out a situation when it does it yet again.

Not to mention, the moment the trailer came out, people were saying "oh, I guess we'll be snatched by the Oedon Chapel amygdala then, either that or the locked trap door in Byrgenwerth"

It's almost as if wikis and blogs were there to help people who couldn't figure out on their own, and were written by people who did figure out by themselves. Just almost. How the hell can people blame the game for their incompetence? If anything, they should be thankful they made the ACCESSING THE DLC 101 post in the blog, so they didn't have to even read one sentence when picking up the item. The way people say it, you'd think From themselves write the entire wikis just so they can justify not offering any guidance in-game, and not users who figured shit out wrote it to help people who didn't. The fact that there are these guides is a good thing and show how much depth the game has, and how involved the community is, not something to complain about the game.

This kind of shit seriously pisses me off.

The lantern in Oedon Chapel is called "Cathedral Ward" on the tombstone in the Dream. The only way the player would know the building is called Oedon Chapel is remembering the Wretch's first dialogue, or one of the prompts when sending the various Yharnamites there.

Oh, that's right, there are also the prompts straight up telling you this.

But nah, you have to go to PS Blog, HAVE to. Sooooo obtuse.

I was actually upset they spoiled how to access it in the blog. Wish they didn't.

Top Bottom