• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Gbraga

And here I was thinking that the job of a games journalist is analyzing and making an argument for why you do or do not like certain parts of a game instead of simply playing it and shutting up about anything you think could have been better.

Your whole post is very condescending. I made my argument in my last few posts and don't have much to add to that, partly because the counter-argument seems to boil down to "Well, maybe you suck too much!" but I would like to add that I'm a little disappointed in this thread's responses because any argument on why someone might dislike certain ways to access the game are not met with counter-arguments and discussion, but instead with ridicule and condenscension. That sucks.

You mentioned a followup video to the Yoko Taro interview when it came out, I check every now and then but I don't think it's uploaded yet, any ETA? That was a great interview.

zma1013

so there are only 6 Trophies in the DLC?...how come mine shows only 50% completion even though I got 5 trophies for beating all the bosses?...only one I didn't get was the weapon collection one (which I'm getting on my 2nd playthrough)...are there other hidden trophies?

Different trophies have different percentage values I believe.

DarkFlame

Banned
Personally,I enjoyed the DLC.it's certainly worth for any Bloodborne fan.The new weapons and armor add variety to the builds,3 new oaths and some great new challenging bosses.Also the 2 of the 3 new areas are really great

There are 2 things I didn't like about it though.

-The reskinned first area
-It generally felt a bit too short.Literally the locations are quite small and are easy to memorize and beat(except bosses,which are difficult)

I could forgive the reskinned Cathedral Ward area if it served as a teaser for what is to come next,but eventually we get only 2 new areas and that's a bit dissapointing.

I rate it a 8.5,subtracting 1.5 from 10 due to it being quite short in length.

myco666

I agree. Level can surge very quickly once you start doing later Chalices or NG+. Hell, even the second DLC area makes it rain Echoes.

Also, all levels are not equal. There are a lot of people on NG+ that have, like, 25 Vitality. There are six stats in the game, but a point in vitality is worth substantially more than points in the others.

Also, at some point, level matters less and Gems and Upgrades become way more prominent.

Yeah. The game always gives you enough Echoes to easily catch up if you are underleveled. If you have to spend lot of time to get levels you are most likely high enough level to beat the area.

It is true that not all stats are equal. Having under 30Vit even in the endgame of NG is asking for harder experience though. Once you hit 50 at everything it becomes about gems totally but once you hit that high levels you should be in NG+++ or something already.

Manu

Wow. I was just messing around in Fishing Hamlet, and then I realised there is still an item up high in a building that I have not gotten yet. After some looking around, I found that you can go up around the cliff, and then get the
Harrowed Hunter
set and a Blood Chunk. Not only that, but unlock at shortcut ladder. Really interesting. You can now bypass the well and all those monsters there in the center of the map.

I know this is probably common knowledge but is kind of hidden, and easily overlooked because you probably just want to run past that big shark thing.

I never found out how to unlock that ladder. I kept unlocking new areas and was surprised that I never got there. Looks like I have some exploring to do.

zma1013

The first area is more than a reskin though. There are entirely new geometric assets that are twisting and winding all throughout like some kind of weird twisted tree roots have overtaken it. Sure it uses the general city as it's base but layers the new stuff all over it creating new pathways and a visually different look. Familiar, but not the same.

MilkBeard

The first area is more than a resin though. There are entirely new geometric assets that are twisting and winding all throughout like some kind of weird twisted tree roots have overtaken it. Sure it uses the general city as it's base but layers the new stuff all over it creating new pathways and a visually different look. Familiar, but not the same.

Yeah. To call it a reskin is not quite accurate. And really, we are talking about a Nightmare realm based on the real areas in the game, which means they are going to be familiar.

Here's a curiosity: after lowering the stairs, I always get 610 echoes when I spawn at the Research Hall lantern.

Every time, even after quitting the game. When I awaken, I immediately get 610 echoes.

I can only imagine that there is an enemy that spawns at its original point, which is not safe since the stairs went up, and kills it immediately.

But WHAT enemy is it?

I'm on NG++, and 610 echoes is not much at all. The enemies on the floor of the Research Hall give over 5K, the general enemies walking around give something lower, but similar.

What enemy is spawning, and dying, that gives so few Blood Echoes?

Raist

Banned
I don't get the outrage over the way to access the DLC, like that Polygon article. It's always been like that in Souls games. Were there complaints back then too?

Here's a curiosity: after lowering the stairs, I always get 610 echoes when I spawn at the Research Hall lantern.

Every time, even after quitting the game. When I awaken, I immediately get 610 echoes.

I can only imagine that there is an enemy that spawns at its original point, which is not safe since the stairs went up, and kills it immediately.

But WHAT enemy is it?

I'm on NG++, and 610 echoes is not much at all. The enemies on the floor of the Research Hall give over 5K, the general enemies walking around give something lower, but similar.

There's different variations of patients though, so still probably one of those. They're the only ones that automatically walk around without aggroing them so it has to be that. Unless there's a rat or crow fumbling around somewhere there.

But WHAT enemy is it?

I figured it was one of the patients that's there to illustrate you don't want to approach gatling gun chair guy head on?

zma1013

I don't get the outrage over the way to access the DLC, like that Polygon article. It's always been like that in Souls games. Were there complaints back then too?

My main gripe with Dark 1 DLC was that to access it required you to do a certain thing while meeting certain criteria that made zero sense to do. You had to revisit an area that had nothing in it and no reason to ever come back to it in order to even start the other stuff associated with doing the quest to start the DLC. If you didn't read about how to do it you were most certainly never going to find it unless you're the type that revisits seemingly empty and pointless corners of a level for no reason at all. In that regard, Bloodborne is a big step up in how apparent and easily accessible it is although yeah, you still gotta get to a certain point in the game to do it. I think their gripe is that they just can't select the DLC right away.

There's different variations of patients though, so still probably one of those. They're the only ones that automatically walk around without aggroing them so it has to be that. Unless there's a rat or crow fumbling around somewhere there.

It just seems like far fewer echoes than any other creature in this area actually gives. I might go through and try to find a creature that gives so few. Because I think even rats and crows give more than that at this point.

I wonder if it's
Adeline
? Maybe they spawn dead, then reconstitute. So I get the echoes for the kill immediately.

Edit: Also, OoK is a stonewall for me. I can't even touch it.

It just seems like far fewer echoes than any other creature in this area actually gives. I might go through and try to find a creature that gives so few. Because I think even rats and crows give more than that at this point.

I wonder if it's
Adeline
? Maybe they spawn dead, then reconstitute. So I get the echoes for the kill immediately.

Edit: Also, OoK is a stonewall for me. I can't even touch it.

Do those even give any echoes though? But sure that might be worth a test.

Bowler

Fuck those 2 hunters in the
prison

Hp sponges. I mean I'm laying into these 2 heavily for minutes and im dying in 3 hits.

Tried that, to no avail. Lol gotta get gud. Ng++ is crushing my soul at level 170

They're just humans, so they are easy to stunlock. You should be able to easily cut down a third of their health with a LHB combo.

If you aren't using a heavy weapon, you could also try to stun then with the Executioner Gloves. Cast the spell and chase it, it should hit them, and then you follow up.

You really should lure the black one into the stairwell, though. If not, you have to be prepared to run to the opposite side of the room every few hits as to regain your spatial awareness.

myco666

prison

Hp sponges. I mean I'm laying into these 2 heavily for minutes and dying in 3 hits.

This was a problem in the main game also. NPC Hunters have way too high health when compared to you or any invader and they hit like a truck. Sure you can use charge attacks that they just run into but they are still way too hard.

edit.
Anyone got parried by
Maria
? her visceral attack is awesome. was Gehrman's visceral attack this unique?

Never got parried but some of her moves on last phase have the ability to put you in Visceral state and I've eaten bunch of those.

Auctopus

prison

Hp sponges. I mean I'm laying into these 2 heavily for minutes and im dying in 3 hits.

This was my tactic which made it manageable...

- Head down the right of the beds and trigger the Black Church Set hunter.
- Run back the way you came to the stairs and then round to the left side of the beds with the hunter still in chase (the spells should be blocked by the beds unless you're unlucky).
- Run behind the statues at the back of the church and fight it out with the close range hunter.
- Then kill the caster.

If it makes you any more confident, they don't respawn so you can go HAM on one then come back for the other,.

explodet

This was a pretty dang good DLC, although I beasted through it with an overleveled NG character.
Pretty easy gold trophy even if the well fight stomped me a few times. And I'm so glad you don't need to fight the optional boss to get it. That second phase freaked me out the first time I saw it.

Might start a new build to see how the game is with the latest patch.

This was a problem in the main game also. NPC Hunters have way too high health when compared to you or any invader and they hit like a truck. Sure you can use charge attacks that they just run into but they are still way too hard.

They are some of my favorite fights (especially in the DLC) because you can parry them quite well. I often have the runes equiped that refill health and bullets after a visceral attack and do extra damage.

dralla

edit.

Never got parried but some of her moves on last phase have the ability to put you in Visceral state and I've eaten bunch of those.

I don't think that's a 'problem' at all,the Hunter fights are supposed to be challenging. Not once did they ever feel overpowered and they don't respawn. You have to be smart with them. Isolate them, never fight more than one. Keep your distance, parry, and don't too greedy.

Well, I finally reached the monsters in the well.

People weren't kidding. I can land a hit with the Shaman Bone Blade, followed by getting killed immediately.

I got here last night. I heard the humming while climbing down the ladder, immediately climbed back up. F those things. The last area in general is pretty tough.

Afrocious

I got here last night. I heard the humming while climbing down the ladder, immediately climbed back up. F those things. The last area in general is pretty tough.

If you go down the ladder, you don't have to worry about the humming.

Not to say what's down there isn't difficult.

I had more trouble with the living failures than Maria. Though a great fight she is it's definitely the easiest in the dlc.

I personally disagree. I felt OoK was easier than she was.

Honestly, when these games were a niche thing just for the hardcore, having the DLC be entirely smoothly integrated into the game, with no option than to get back to that part of the game, felt right; but now that they are million sellers, I'd say it's worth at least making the NG+ jump optional or saving to a new file as suggested earlier in this thread.

Why would they change it when it is incredibly successful the way it is?

But WHAT enemy is it?

Reminds me of the Basillisk that always falls to it's death whenever you enter the Great Hollow in DS1.

I absolutely need some help with the OoK.

The fight hasn't "clicked" yet, so sometimes I die without even touching it and sometimes I flail my way to 75% health.

I've picked up some stuff already, like to dodge to the side instead of back and that some attacks are punishable.

I've also learned it can be parried. But I usually am just crossing my fingers and either halting the attack or eating the full force of the assault. Lots of times, I just miss the visceral as well, because I'm too far away.

I haven't even seen Phase 2 yet, so I'm sure THAT will be wonderful. But I'll take any information I can get.

Any advice?

Afrocious

I absolutely need some help with the OoK.

The fight hasn't "clicked" yet, so sometimes I die without even touching it and sometimes I flail my way to 75% health.

I've picked up some stuff already, like to dodge to the side instead of back and that some attacks are punishable.

I've also learned it can be parried. But I usually am just crossing my fingers and either halting the attack or eating the full force of the assault. Lots of times, I just miss the visceral as well, because I'm too far away.

I haven't even seen Phase 2 yet, so I'm sure THAT will be wonderful. But I'll take any information I can get.

Any advice?

Just figure out when he can be parried and you should be good to go.

The second phase is far harder than the first, but it can be parried too. Just find those openings.

Top Bottom