• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

OoK is fun. I can seemingly never actually capitalize off my parries, though. He slumps and I just politely boop him on the dome.

He seems to be less aggressive if you're aggressive, if that makes sense. Dashing into him etc. L70 right now, and I refuse to grind. Got him to 20% without being touched once and then got riverdanced. :(

His weapons is his weakness, hitting his weapon stun him more often and his body, who knew

p3n

They could at least let everyone with the DLC license play online...I was going to do some co-op runs :(

Also the "free" DLC access was not temporary? If the access is 100% bound to the ingame item and no further license check on save file loading applies it would be hilarious.

Akara

Banned
Wow, so Patrick Klepek's theory on where this server maintenance came from is pretty interesting.

He theorizes that you could get the DLC for free.

That would definitely be a reason to do a full emergency server shutdown.

You can, I was on the redditt thread when it happened and people were trying to justify getting it for free :/

Problem with it is that from allowed it to be a patch where you received the DLC through it rather than purchasing it from the PS Store and then receiving the download. Ultimately that was not possible because what would happen if said player with new DLC equipment runs into a player with the DLC not downloaded. (obviously could have been done better) But yeah they patched in the DLC literally and paying for it granted access while the other way finds an exploit to go into the DLC without purchasing it.

JerkShep

So were the early cries of NG+ being too hard exaggerated? What's the consensus of NG+? Now we are being shown people doing Level 4 perfect boss runs.

I played the DLC on NG++ with a 200-ish character and NG+ with a 140 character. I would say NG+ was mostly fair, even if there are definitely some attacks that hit pretty hard, but I managed to do good damage even without farming gems. NG++ is definitely harder, even with good gems.

I stole this image from the internet, don't tell anyone.

hj41npB.png

I stole this image from the internet, don't tell anyone.

hj41npB.png

Man thats the thing I dislike from the game everyone is so pale they didnt bother to add color to the game outside Arianna maybe is the engine or the nature of the game?

But seeing the same white dude in Dark Souls 3 looks like is the engine

Akara

Banned
I played the DLC on NG++ with a 200-ish character and NG+ with a 140 character. I would say NG+ was mostly fair, even if there are definitely some attacks that hit pretty hard, but I managed to do good damage even without farming gems. NG++ is definitely harder, even with good gems.

Just because someone's mastered the first boss in the DLC does not make the game any easier LOL. It's all subjective and how you play, whether you constantly practice against the boss dodging or you just wanna kill the damn thing.

Wagram

So were the early cries of NG+ being too hard exaggerated? What's the consensus of NG+? Now we are being shown people doing Level 4 perfect boss runs.

It's on par with other Souls titles in terms of difficulty - NG+ tears are greatly over exaggerated as someone who has always played these up to NG+4. I think the problem is this is the first time some have actually stepped into NG+ (hilariously, the base game is still extremely lenient compared to the DLC though).

RiggyRob

Episode 6, Pimmsy vs. Shadow of Yarnham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PFRtb1J7Cs

This is where the NPC summons get silly - although the concept of a 3 on 3 fight is really cool, having Henryk and the Younger Madaras Twin just breaks the difficulty of this fight into thirds.

Not that the fight is difficult when two of them are dead, but you can actually see Pimmsy consider letting the NPCs finish the fight for her, before I told her that would make for a anti-climactic end to the video.

Still don't know how to get the
Madaras Whistle though, and we haven't even seen the Older Madaras Twin summon

Episode 7, Pimmsy vs. Shadow of Yarnham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PFRtb1J7Cs

This is where the NPC summons get silly - although the concept of a 3 on 3 fight is really cool, having Henryk and the Younger Madaras Twin just breaks the difficulty of this fight into thirds.

Not that the fight is difficult when two of them are dead, but you can actually see Pimmsy consider letting the NPCs finish the fight for her, before I told her that would make for a anti-climactic end to the video.

Still don't know how to get the
Madaras Whistle though, and we haven't even seen the Older Madaras Twin summon

You have to kill the hostile hunter on the forgotten woods to get the spell

Dez_

I'm getting so close! 3 times. 3 times I've gotten OoK down to the tiniest sliver of health and completely lost it at the end. The only way I can find an opening is dodging and landing near it after it does a big smash attack. I'm having difficulty reading the patterns other than that move.

Doomsayer

This game has been kicking my ass, and I'm sure it's because I'm on NG+++.

I'm in the
Hamlet
right and just made way to the first two of
Brador's
summons. I'm really digging everything, I think I'm going to kill
Laurence
first then make my way to OoK.

myco666

You can, I was on the redditt thread when it happened and people were trying to justify getting it for free :/

Problem with it is that from allowed it to be a patch where you received the DLC through it rather than purchasing it from the PS Store and then receiving the download. Ultimately that was not possible because what would happen if said player with new DLC equipment runs into a player with the DLC not downloaded. (obviously could have been done better) But yeah they patched in the DLC literally and paying for it granted access while the other way finds an exploit to go into the DLC without purchasing it.

What?! How would you justify that in anyway?

SilentRob

You mentioned a followup video to the Yoko Taro interview when it came out, I check every now and then but I don't think it's uploaded yet, any ETA? That was a great interview.

Hey man, thanks! It took way longer than originally planned but I just talked with someone from Square Enix and it should be available some time next week :)

Zocano

I think the problem is this is the first time some have actually stepped into NG+ (hilariously, the base game is still extremely lenient compared to the DLC though).

This could very well be the case. First NG+ is a huge leap from base game. I originally beat it on NG with a SL 60 and am going through on a SL 220 in (I think?) NG+4. Might be NG+5, I've lost count on that character.

The SL 220 is having a way easier time though. It's almost entirely experience with all the content. Makes it all much easier.

Also at those levels, saw cleaver is the only weapon worth using.

RiggyRob

First lamp, walking towards the brigde it spawns when you kill 1 or more vermin and talk to Valtr,exhaust his dialogue, warp to the dream and go to the forgotten woods the lamp again and he will appear.

Ah, that's why - we're playing offline so we haven't got any vermin. Are there any guaranteed ways to get them when you're offline?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally killed the first boss, thanks to everyone that suggested a stronger npc T.T

Nose Master

I feel bad for From, but that exploit is hilarious. Can't believe it was that simple, what an oversight.

Also, rocking this cursed +22% blood gem on the final fight. Gettin bopped from my own DoT confirmed

Zocano

Since OoK will be a topic of concern for a while, I'll reiterate and say it's a disappointing last boss. First half is 'okay' but a combination of too slow and not interesting enough of a moveset. The second half has a better moveset but is a clusterfuck and frustrating to fight. So when you have an "okay" fight as your last fight in the game/DLC/whathaveyou, it's disappointing. At least Manus was cool and I thought AotA was a disappointing DLC.

Actually, all together, I'd give the DLC like an 8/10. The 2nd area is really cool but the others feel like all flash no substance and the bosses are wishy-washy. 2 exceptionally great boss fights with 2 "okay" ones and one literal filler-status waste-of-a-slot boss fight.

Crown of the Sunken King still best singular isolated piece of DLC content they have put out. Such god damn perfection.

Akara

Banned
Since OoK will be a topic of concern for a while, I'll reiterate and say it's a disappointing last boss. First half is 'okay' but a combination of too slow and not interesting enough of a moveset. The second half has a better moveset but is a clusterfuck and frustrating to fight. So when you have an "okay" fight as your last fight in the game/DLC/whathaveyou, it's disappointing. At least Manus was cool and I thought AotA was a disappointing DLC.

Actually, all together, I'd give the DLC like an 8/10. The 2nd area is really cool but the others feel like all flash no substance and the bosses are wishy-washy. 2 exceptionally great boss fights with 2 "okay" ones and one literal filler-status waste-of-a-slot boss fight.

Crown of the Sunken King still best singular isolated piece of DLC content they have put out. Such god damn perfection.

I think LF was more to establish the lore and how hard the church tried to you know...

TheGrue

To chime in on the talk about what it takes to access the DLC, at first I was annoyed that I had to do anything (despite knowing previous Souls games has the same requirement). I had beaten the game, created a NG+, fiddled around with it back then and then moved on to other games.

Cut to last week when i saw what was required, but was thinking about what I had done with my first runthrough. I realized, though, that you only have to beat two bosses to get into the DLC and having to do that let me get my Bloodborne legs back under me (couldn't quite remember how to do the front stab/parry thing). It honestly didn't take me that long to do and I'm actually thankful they did it this way as it allowed me to shake the rust off. Now, I just need to get past this
gatlin hunter

Man thats the thing I dislike from the game everyone is so pale they didnt bother to add color to the game outside Arianna maybe is the engine or the nature of the game?

But seeing the same white dude in Dark Souls 3 looks like is the engine

Thats just how anyone who hails from Cainhurst/Pthumeru looks. Not everyone in the game is that paleskinned.

Zocano

I think LF was more to establish the lore and how hard the church tried to you know...

I don't mind lore fights, but they've only done it exceptionally once and every other time they still try to make an actual boss fight and it just comes off as feeling like a waste of time. In general mob bosses aren't very interesting. Phalanx from Demon's Souls is an exception more than a rule and it works both because it's got the gimmick of literally being a phalanx and also being technically your tutorial/introductory boss.

Demon's Souls 2 Remaster when.

Akara

Banned
I don't mind lore fights, but they've only done it exceptionally once and every other time they still try to make an actual boss fight and it just comes off as feeling like a waste of time. In general mob bosses aren't very interesting. Phalanx from Demon's Souls is an exception more than a rule and it works both because it's got the gimmick of literally being a phalanx and also being technically your tutorial/introductory boss.

Demon's Souls 2 Remaster when.

omg please

Since it is obviously unable to be performed now, could somebody explain how people were accessing the DLC for free?

My curiosity goes crazy with this kind of stuff. I find it so fascinating.

OoK is a great fight imo. The first phase is quite run of the mill yes but the second phase is the closest we've ever gotten in a souls game to twitch/reaction based gameplay. And surprisingly the mechanics in BB allow for that style of play. Imo there was no bigger rush in the DLC than successfully dashing through his wild flail attack and landing the finishing blow.

Carcetti

Everyone has a finite amount of time.

Who do you theoretically has more time to play vidyagames, the one with 3 kids and a job or the unemployed basement hermit? I don't really see that there's anything to argue here... That said I got a job and 3 kids and I've sunk way too much time into Bloodborne this past week.

It'll show all the jobbers who got on board with Dark Souls what the real best game in the series is.

Best Levels, Best Bosses, Best Music, Best Aesthetic, Best waifu.

They need to make a chalice dungeon equivalent though. I want a situation where I face off against the Dragon God for real, no shitty gimmicks to help me.

myco666

I still really disagree with you about OoK even after beating him with few different builds. I reall love the second phase where he goes all out and you need to be on your toes the whole time. Those projectiles could have little bit smaller AoE though.

Zocano

They need to make a chalice dungeon equivalent though. I want a situation where I face off against the Dragon God for real, no shitty gimmicks to help me.

6th Archstone pls.

Also Dragon God literally only works because it is a gimmick non-fight.

Gerhman, coop, enough said. I'll edit my post if this isn't allowed.

I think it should be okay since it can no longer be done. It's not an exploitable exploit anymore.

Were people
picking up the eye from other people's games? Sort of like they were stealing the DLC access from other people's games? Or through a cooperative friend abusing multiple saves?

I will, also, edit this post if it's not allowed. I hope the fact that this is "fixed" means it's fine to discuss.

Akara

Banned
I still really disagree with you about OoK even after beating him with few different builds. I reall love the second phase where he goes all out and you need to be on your toes the whole time. Those projectiles could have little bit smaller AoE though.

OoK gave me a huge run for my money because my threaded cane did like no damage on it. Kept jumping its second phase and spitting crap out of its weapon, ridiculously fast and just constantly pressuring you. Mind you I had 25 vitality and it would almost always one hit me.

JerkShep

Just because someone's mastered the first boss in the DLC does not make the game any easier LOL. It's all subjective and how you play, whether you constantly practice against the boss dodging or you just wanna kill the damn thing.

?? I was recounting my experience, obviously your mileage may vary, as always in Souls game.

The Sunken King had a fantastic beginning but the last location and the first two bosses were very disappointing. And the last boss is good but too similar to
Kalameet
to really leave the mark. Definitely prefer OoK and Old Hunters as a whole.

myco666

OoK gave me a huge run for my money because my threaded cane did like no damage on it. Kept jumping its second phase and spitting crap out of its weapon, ridiculously fast and just constantly pressuring you. Mind you I had 25 vitality and it would almost always one hit me.

On what NG were you? I thought the damage my Reiterpallasch +10 did was okay in NG. That 25 Vit though ouch.

Zocano

I'll see how he goes on my SL 220 character but, again, my main issue is it's just a flat finish to an otherwise good dlc. It doesn't have the flash of Sinh or the intimacy of Gehrman. It feels like a lot of wasted build-up and just left me feeling cold.

I would have been okay with
a big Great One fight against Mother Kos or something. Like it might not have been mechanically exceptional and tight like a hunter fight, but it would have been a cool big finale of a fight.

The Sunken King had a fantastic beginning but the last location and the first two bosses were very disappointing. And the last boss is good but too similar to
Kalameet
to really leave the mark. Definitely prefer OoK and Old Hunters as a whole.

Elena is a pretty decent fight. I can understand the gank squad but I morbidly enjoy that fight. I really like the final location of just descending down the inner sanctum. And lastly, Sinh, is a better fight than its obvious counterpart. I was never a big fan of that fight in Dark Souls 1.

Akara

Banned
On what NG were you? I thought the damage my Reiterpallasch +10 did was okay in NG. That 25 Vit though ouch.

Just the first one, my threaded cane was like 2xx damage because I hadn't done chalice dungeons on that character quite yet. Arcane build also and my spells were literally missing or ended up getting me killed 99 percent of the time. Also I'm nowhere near as good as the players killing ludwig naked on new game +++++ level 4 so that DIDNT HELP LOL.

I doubt you'll find many people who agree with that assessment of phase 1 OoK. Phase 1 is insane. Phase 2 is batshit insane. But then again you think AotA is disappointing so maybe you live in an alternate reality where everything is the opposite.

Top Bottom