• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Sephzilla

Fought
Lady Maria
last night and my first thought was it sure felt like I was fighting the Bloodborne equivalent of this guy

latest

myco666

They are some of my favorite fights (especially in the DLC) because you can parry them quite well. I often have the runes equiped that refill health and bullets after a visceral attack and do extra damage.

Really? I though that they were mostly boring and much rather have a real PVP fight or fight some regular enemies. 1-on-1 fights basically boiled down to 'oh you are going to use only that attack let me parry it for you'. I would much prefer them having less health and little bit better AI and finite amount of resources.

I don't think that's a 'problem' at all,the Hunter fights are supposed to be challenging. Not once did they ever feel overpowered and they don't respawn. You have to be smart with them. Isolate them, never fight more than one. Keep your distance, parry, and don't too greedy.

I thought they were more of an slog than challenging. I never liked them in Souls games either.

edit.
I absolutely need some help with the OoK.

The fight hasn't "clicked" yet, so sometimes I die without even touching it and sometimes I flail my way to 75% health.

I've picked up some stuff already, like to dodge to the side instead of back and that some attacks are punishable.

I've also learned it can be parried. But I usually am just crossing my fingers and either halting the attack or eating the full force of the assault. Lots of times, I just miss the visceral as well, because I'm too far away.

I haven't even seen Phase 2 yet, so I'm sure THAT will be wonderful. But I'll take any information I can get.

Any advice?

I found staying close to him to be the best strategy. There are lot of attacks that won't hit you if you are close and circle strafe and you get free backstabs. Never got down parry timing so I try always dodge all attacks.

JWNSY

I absolutely need some help with the OoK.

The fight hasn't "clicked" yet, so sometimes I die without even touching it and sometimes I flail my way to 75% health.

I've picked up some stuff already, like to dodge to the side instead of back and that some attacks are punishable.

I've also learned it can be parried. But I usually am just crossing my fingers and either halting the attack or eating the full force of the assault. Lots of times, I just miss the visceral as well, because I'm too far away.

I haven't even seen Phase 2 yet, so I'm sure THAT will be wonderful. But I'll take any information I can get.

Any advice?

Punish his running leap attack in phase 1. Jog towards him when he leaps and he will go right over your head. Time it right and you get a free charged backstab.
Otherwise parrying is a solid strategy.

Gammacide

Man,
Laurence
is sooooo frustrating. Maria is just amazing to fight and challenging and never feels cheap. This guy's fight feels so rotten in so many ways. I'll get him whenever servers go back up, but it is generally hard to get coop partners there and the League leader is borderline worthless. Dies every time we hit second phase. :-/

Man,
Laurence
is sooooo frustrating. Maria is just amazing to fight and challenging and never feels cheap. This guy's fight feels so rotten in so many ways. I'll get him whenever servers go back up, but it is generally hard to get coop partners there and the League leader is borderline worthless. Dies every time we hit second phase. :-/

The worst part about it is, in terms of damage he's fucking great, Phase 1 is incredibly easy. Phase 2 is more about avoidance than damage though and he sucks at avoiding anything. :( And that's the part he's most needed for.

Derpot

I thought that M
aria
was a very good and fair fight.
OoK is fucking horrible mostly because he fucks up the lock and the camera by being fucking fast and jumping everywhere during his second phase, urgh.

I thought that M
aria
was a very good and fair fight.
OoK is fucking horrible mostly because he fucks up the lock and the camera by being fucking fast and jumping everywhere during his second phase, urgh.

OoK Phase 2 feels like it's geared towards multiplayer
or parrying...

L
ady Maria
is godlike though. The only thing that disappoints me is that you can't
do her charge attack with the Rakuyo.

myco666

or parrying...

L
ady Maria

I soloed OoK, never parried any of its attacks and I thought the fight was best the DLC has to offer.
Maria
is also really good but she should have some super armor. Pretty much any hit will stagger her except against few moves that are easy to parry.

Derpot

or parrying...

L
ady Maria

Yeah, I beat him on solo, and I knew it was possible to parry him but I didn't want to take the risk. He was so damn annoying, I hate him so much lol (but the music during the first phase, my god, I love it).

And yeah, I was a bit disappointed about the R
akuyo too. The description says that Lady Maria hated the "blood sword" stuff from Cainhurst, but she didn't hesitate to use this technique to kick your ass. I guess she really wanted to keep that secret, huh.
But despite that, I still think it's a cool weapon!

I soloed OoK, never parried any of its attacks and I thought the fight was best the DLC has to offer.
Maria
is also really good but she should have some super armor. Pretty much any hit will stagger her except against few moves that are easy to parry.

I love that fight as well. His skills are so random and unpredictable sometimes, he's really wild lol
You hit him a few time, then he fucking jumps to the other side of the place screaming like a madman and comes back almost instantly toward you.
I felt that
Lady Maria
is the exact opposite. More predictable patern so you're not surprised. I wish she had more HP because the fight is kinda short as it is.

They really spoiled us with that DLC :p

Yeah, I beat him on solo, and I knew it was possible to parry him but I didn't want to take the risk. He was so damn annoying, I hate him so much lol (but the music during the first phase, my god, I love it).

And yeah, I was a bit disappointed about the R
akuyo too. The description says that Lady Maria hated the "blood sword" stuff from Cainhurst, but she didn't hesitate to use this technique to kick your ass. I guess she really wanted to keep that secret, huh.
But despite that, I still think it's a cool weapon!

It also said she
threw the Rakuyo away...

I assumed the
blood magic was something to do with her Cainhurst lineage rather than a property of the weapon.

myco666

I love that fight as well. His skills are so random and unpredictable sometimes, he's really wild lol
You hit him a few time, then he fucking jumps to the other side of the place screaming like a madman and comes back almost instantly toward you.
I felt that
Lady Maria
is the exact opposite. More predictable patern so you're not surprised. I wish she had more HP because the fight is kinda short as it is.

They really spoiled us with that DLC :p

That fight is really intense and I seriously love all the screaming. Reminds me of VA and CB a lot since those to are also really aggressive and loud.

She should have more HP as she has the least of the DLC bosses. With good weapons you can actually miss the third phase because you kill her too quickly.

Just beat OoK on NG+ , blind run, first try.
Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeea

edit: Sharefactory upload here

Whoa... what a beast. Phase 2 is just... I don't know. AI cheating? o_O
That moveset is ridiculous, as well as his punching power and AoEs.
But, as you can see, nailed him pretty hard.
#4TheParry

When you figure out you can parry M
aria
in most of her moves and backstab her in her second and third phase she is the easier of all boses, beside living failures of course.

So were the early cries of NG+ being too hard exaggerated? What's the consensus of NG+? Now we are being shown people doing Level 4 perfect boss runs.

Bosses hit hard but the difficulty always fall when you learn their moves, people form strategies and find a way to do those runs, I am not surprised if there are already SL4 runs since you only have to focus on your weapon in BB

MilkBeard

So were the early cries of NG+ being too hard exaggerated? What's the consensus of NG+? Now we are being shown people doing Level 4 perfect boss runs.

I'm currently wrapping up NG+ (first playthrough of DLC since I already finished all of the NG+ except the very end).
Well, it's hard. As I wrote a couple of pages back, even though I'm lvl 190 the enemies have a HUGE HP pool and hit really hard. :/
I admit that NG+ even on this overlevel of mine was a huge challenge. And I'm a Souls expert veteran. :D

myco666

I am now at NG+ against the first boss and under lvl100 and it feels challenging but fair. Sure I've already have had practice against him on NG and NG++ but still. It is just that the content is lot harder than the main game and I guess lot of people haven't played BB after launch period meaning they are rusty when going in to the hardest part of the game.

Are there stats that need to be met for the Moonlight Sword to shoot projectiles? I've got it, but I see no projectiles in the transformed mode.

The L2 swing and R2 charge attack in its transformed mode fire projectiles. Either will expend Silver Bullets in the process.

Are there stats that need to be met for the Moonlight Sword to shoot projectiles? I've got it, but I see no projectiles in the transformed mode.

Magic use bullets so if you dont have bullets, no magic for you. its detransformation combo deals magic without using a silver bullets.

Is it a dumb idea to 'stack' my main character just so I can play around with different weapons?

There is no problem with strengh but Arcane, Skill and Bloodtinge requires a high stat to shine making you lack Vit and Stamina which requires your attention too

Curufinwe

NG+ Ludwig was much too hard for me to solo, but I'm, not very gud.

The rest of the first part of the DLC was fine at level 110-130.

Didnt read this, I blame Dark Souls 2 with being too accesible in that nature of thing, makes me wonder is the writer ever player Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 was really something else in being accesible at the point of making you a menu if you want to jump to NG+ or going to a DLC.

"Do you want to go to NG+, bearer of the curse? no? ok =)"
The instant DLC key items on your pockets which a bad explanation and pushing a button if you want or no go to the DLC instead of just simply takes you to the DLC and find the bonfire right next to you.
Worst case, they should have let you roll a new char at level 65 at the start of a new game, so you can steamroll through.

Woot, we are going Warcraft, boys.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can someone explain to me how to get more than one HUNTER NPC sided with you? I'm trying to beat Ludwig in ng+ and I simply can't, thus I recruited Henrette. But I heard there are more hunters that can join, I even watched that on youtube, but why can't I find their spawn item in my game? Is there something more I have to do for those spots to show up?

Can someone explain to me how to get more than one HUNTER NPC sided with you? I'm trying to beat Ludwig in ng+ and I simply can't, thus I recruited Henrette. But I heard there are more hunters that can join, I even watched that on youtube, but why can't I find their spawn item in my game? Is there something more I have to do for those spots to show up?

Forget Henriette, she's useless. Equip the Legion rune and summon Valtr, he'll have your back.

There is another Old Hunter spot right before you enter the boss door, near the corpse is hitting the door, on the crows nest

cheesekao

Join the league and you can summon valtr. He's near the guy banging on the gate. Henriette is trash so don't summon her.

Didnt read this, I blame Dark Souls 2 with being too accesible in that nature of thing, makes me wonder is the writer ever player Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 was really something else in being accesible at the point of making you a menu if you want to jump to NG+ or going to a DLC.

"Do you want to go to NG+, bearer of the curse? no? ok =)"
The instant DLC key items on your pockets which a bad explanation and pushing a button if you want or no go to the DLC instead of just simply takes you to the DLC and find the bonfire right next to you.

I've only played Scholar of the First Sin and in this edition you have to get the key somewhere and then find the door. It's not easily accessible, I guess The Old Hunters is more accessible than that.
Also I'm not done with my NG so I don't know how the transition will go to jump in NG+, but it does sound weird with what you're writing x)

V-Gief

I played the DLC at NG++++ the first time around at lv200~. Only boss that proved to be a problem was L
aurence
. It was just so much HP to chew through. Fast attempts were around 10 minutes long for me during the learning phase (usually didn't get to P2). Entire fight took me about 15 minutes I think when I finally beat it. R2 Charge counter hit into R2 overhead with LHB netted me around 3300~ dmg and the health bar depleted by maybe 4-5%.

Tried playing the DLC again on NG+ at lv180~ (only character I had at NG+) and it was a breeze in comparison (maybe not that surprising though).

Then again, I think it depends on who it is that claims that NG+ is too hard or not. I've played every Souls/Borne game to date (and have put quite a lot of time into all of them, though mostly DS1 and BB). While the DLC took some getting used to, I don't think it was that hard. Was a lot of fun though!

I've only played Scholar of the First Sin and in this edition you have to get the key somewhere and then find the door. It's not easily accessible, I guess The Old Hunters is more accessible than that.
Also I'm not done with my NG so I don't know how the transition will go to jump in NG+, but it does sound weird with what you're writing x)

There is no NG+ transition, you had to ask the emerald herald to jump to NG+ unless it was changed in the Scholar

fuck maintenance......?

😞

whens it over?

You will be there, Forevah

CHC

I had an excrutiatingly hard time on NG+ at around level 100. Obviously once you learn the fights, perfect runs at any level are possible - your ability to dodge and avoid doesn't necessarily depend on level. I would say the NG+ difficulty is borderline - I was definitely frustrated at times.

Ferr986

Well, there's people than can do incredible stuff like Lvl 4 NG+++++++++++ runs.

But on average, NG+ is really hard. Not much the zones itself, just those 3 bosses.

I finished the DLC at NG++ with a 130 char solo, and even though talking about the zones and regular enemies I think DS2 DLC was harder, those three bosses of BB DLC are the hardest shit on the series for me. (well
Laurence
is more of an annoying and shitty fight that pure hard, much like Ancient Dragon). OoK fucking drained me before beating him.

So what weapons are good for a STR/ARC build? Or are you supposed to just go full ARC and ignore STR and change weapons to entirely magic?

cheesekao

So what weapons are good for a STR/ARC build? Or are you supposed to just go full ARC and ignore STR and change weapons to entirely magic?
There are three str/arc weapons and one of them is the MHB and only its projectiles and L2 scale off of arcane.

The other one is the logarius wheel and that weapon can deal some serious damage if you have the right gems.

The third one is the Tonitrus but it breaks really fast so I've never bothered with it.

Going full arcane (and by full I mean 99 arcane) your magic space slugs will do really high damage since arcane scaling for magic items work differently.

I think you could also access the DLC in dark souls 2 as a coop phantom I dunno how they let slipp you can acces the content as non phantom

Nose Master

OoK is fun. I can seemingly never actually capitalize off my parries, though. He slumps and I just politely boop him on the dome.

He seems to be less aggressive if you're aggressive, if that makes sense. Dashing into him etc. L70 right now, and I refuse to grind. Got him to 20% without being touched once and then got riverdanced. :(

Top Bottom