• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Thats just how anyone who hails from Cainhurst/Pthumeru looks. Not everyone in the game is that paleskinned.

Yeah, Maria has silver hair and pale skin because she's a Cainhurst noble; Annalise has the same features.

It'll show all the jobbers who got on board with Dark Souls what the real best game in the series is.

Best Levels, Best Bosses, Best Music, Best Aesthetic, Best waifu.

Played From Soft games since before Demon's Souls (King's Field on Playstation) and disagree with all of that except maybe bosses. IMO:

Best Levels: Dark Souls
Best Bosses: Demon's Souls
Best Music: Bloodborne
Best Aesthetic: Bloodborne
Best Waifu: Bloodborne

Of course, you're missing best gameplay mechanics which is Dark Souls II; multiplayer works way better and character builds and options are unrivaled in Dark II. Only downside mechanics-wise was the dumb durability.

Zocano

I doubt you'll find many people who agree with that assessment of phase 1 OoK. Phase 1 is insane. Phase 2 is batshit insane. But then again you think AotA was disappointing so maybe you live in an alternate reality where everything is the opposite.

It's a boss gauntlet with nothing in between. The level design was disappointingly flat. Just felt like one big hallway. Disappointing may be the wrong word. I liked it at the time and thought it was appropriately on level with Dark Souls. But then the Crowns DLC showed me what actual great level design was again and gave me Demon's Souls flashbacks and I got all flustered.

Phase 1 is either a boring parry-fest or just standing next to him all day and side stepping. He doesn't have a lot as far as spacing is concerned.

myco666

I'll see how he goes on my SL 220 character but, again, my main issue is it's just a flat finish to an otherwise good dlc. It doesn't have the flash of Sinh or the intimacy of Gehrman. It feels like a lot of wasted build-up and just left me feeling cold.

I would have been okay with
a big Great One fight against Mother Kos or something. Like it might not have been mechanically exceptional and tight like a hunter fight, but it would have been a cool big finale of a fight.

I kinda get what you mean but I though that the fight was visually really good as the location is beautiful. Then there is the audio with one of the best tracks mixed with ear piercing screaming while you are just trying to survive. It could have had some more flash though and what you suggested would have been awesome actually. Still really like what we got.

Just the first one, my threaded cane was like 2xx damage because I hadn't done chalice dungeons on that character quite yet. Arcane build also and my spells were literally missing or ended up getting me killed 99 percent of the time. Also I'm nowhere near as good as the players killing ludwig naked on new game +++++ level 4 so that DIDNT HELP LOL.

That seems rather low damage considering I did around 300-400 with Reiterpallasch with just the gems you get always from the main game.

Akara

Banned
I kinda get what you mean but I though that the fight was visually really good as the location is beautiful. Then there is the audio with one of the best tracks mixed with ear piercing screaming while you are just trying to survive. It could have had some more flash though and what you suggested would have been awesome actually. Still really like what we got.

That seems rather low damage considering I did around 300-400 with Reiterpallasch with just the gems you get always from the main game.

I was saving my blood rock for Kos Parasite and used it accidently on Rosmarinus which I realized is amazing on certain bosses and pvpers, BUT NOT THIS ONE :(

Now though I have 555 on my Threaded cane its + 10.

Dez_

OoK defeated. Nightmare slain. I did take advantage of the visceral attack, health regenerating exploit to save my vials, but damn that was an intense finish! A sloppy finish, nonetheless, but I'm glad I'm still able to beat all the bosses on my own. For some reason, one of my attacks just staggered him and I was able to do the necessary final damage to end the fight. Felt kind of random, but I'll take it.

Now, I guess there's that optional boss and finding the weapons. I'm going to have to go back with my NG+++ character to and try it again. For all the new weapons there are, it felt like there was only three that I could use for my dex character. Would have at least liked to try out the moveset.

It's a boss gauntlet with nothing in between. The level design was disappointingly flat. Just felt like one big hallway. Disappointing may be the wrong word. I liked it at the time and thought it was appropriately on level with Dark Souls. But then the Crowns DLC showed me what actual great level design was again and gave me Demon's Souls flashbacks and I got all flustered.

Phase 1 is either a boring parry-fest or just standing next to him all day and side stepping. He doesn't have a lot as far as spacing is concerned.

What about the Royal Wood? Oolacile Township? Chasm of the Abyss? Those aren't "hallways".

As for OoK, I wish you'd show everyone else how easy phase 1 is. Out of the 30+ people I've tried to help in co-op on that fight, a vast majority die in phase 1. I've only had 3 successful OoK kills in co-op.

To me it seems like you want something very specific from Soulsborne areas/bosses and don't like it when they deviate from that.

Akara

Banned
OoK defeated. Nightmare slain. I did take advantage of the visceral attack, health regenerating exploit to save my vials, but damn that was an intense finish! A sloppy finish, nonetheless, but I'm glad I'm still able to beat all the bosses on my own. For some reason, one of my attacks just staggered him and I was able to do the necessary final damage to end the fight. Felt kind of random, but I'll take it.

Now, I guess there's that optional boss and finding the weapons. I'm going to have to go back with my NG+++ character to and try it again. For all the new weapons there are, it felt like there was only three that I could use for my dex character. Would have at least liked to try out the moveset.

I think Arcane mains got shafted the most lol, only weapon we got was Kos Parasite and that just... I can't even!

But we did get soul arrow which I LOVE.

I think Arcane mains got shafted the most lol, only weapon we got was Kos Parasite and that just... I can't even!

But we did get soul arrow which I LOVE.

Damage on that didn't blow me away though, but I will say it's damn fast. But is the parasite bad then or what? I was under the impression it was pretty good, but I haven't tested it much. I dislike it a lot that it requires a certain covenant rune though.

Gbraga

Little more than an hour and I'm back to dying to Bleric Ceast. Is tonight the night? MAYBE.

Hey man, thanks! It took way longer than originally planned but I just talked with someone from Square Enix and it should be available some time next week :)

Awesome! Can't wait for that. Love your enthusiasm and it's always great to see interviews and just gaming content in general from people who are really passionate about it. Especially for a game such as Nier, where fans are scarce in general, and the press will obviously reflect that.

It'll show all the jobbers who got on board with Dark Souls what the real best game in the series is.

Dark Souls? Bloodborne? :p

Best Levels

Nope

Best Bosses

Eew. No.

Best Music

Nope.

Best Aesthetic

Nope.

Best waifu.

Hm... Maybe.

Akara

Banned
Damage on that didn't blow me away though, but I will say it's damn fast. But is the parasite bad then or what? I was under the impression it was pretty good, but I haven't tested it much. I dislike it a lot that it requires a certain covenant rune though.

I do a lot with black sky eye, 4xx on mobs who are neutral to it, and 800 to mobs that are weak against it.

In PVP you can hit through walls with it and trap people in tight spaces and use the L2 which is basically a close range call from beyond which would instakill invaders easily. It leaves you super vulnerable though and the moveset is VERY slow and strange. I ended up just using threaded cane full time instead of it. It does a lot of damage though if you're an arcane build and find the right gems. A lot more than my threaded cane I'll give it that. Also a lot of the tentacle moves have more poise break for some reason and you get a -20% reduction in damage when rolling with the kos parasite and rune equipped.

It's a weird moveset but if you can stomach how your character looks and learn the moveset, it is really good. (Just people people who are cooping, stop running into mobs and bosses and spamming L2)

Zocano

What about the Royal Wood? Oolacile Township? Chasm of the Abyss? Those aren't "hallways".

Royal Wood is open nothing with more nothing and some trees with nothing in between them. I liked the woods in Dark Souls 2 a ton but I wish that area was larger and that gimmick used throughout rather than for 2 seconds.

Oolacile Township is the specific hallway I'm talking about. It doesn't feel particularly interesting to explore and there really isn't a whole lot of it to explore anyway. It never feels like you can get lost in it like the really great levels in the series (Latria, Stonefang, Shulva, Sen's).

There's nothing really going on in Chasm for me. It's got the same issue that all the "big open area" levels have where there actually isn't a lot of interesting things going on in it. I thought Dark Souls 2 did those types of areas the best (Frozen Outskirts da beessssst).

To me it seems like you want something very specific out of Soulsborne areas/bosses and don't like it when they deviate from that.

This is mostly true. Just copy Demon's Souls over and over and I might be happy.

I'm going to judge the bosses based on my skill level, not the skill level of others. While I adore Gehrman (best fight in the series), he is *waaaaaaaaay* too easy to parry and parrying kinda makes all of the really great bosses in this game a bit too easy for me. I go out of my way not to parry them just so I can actually enjoy their movesets.

Sephzilla

Little more than an hour and I'm back to dying to Bleric Ceast. Is tonight the night? MAYBE.

Awesome! Can't wait for that. Love your enthusiasm and it's always great to see interviews and just gaming content in general from people who are really passionate about it. Especially for a game such as Nier, where fans are scarce in general, and the press will obviously reflect that.

Nope

Eew. No.

Nope.

Nope.

Hm... Maybe.

Demons still wins for me in the level design and aesthetics departments. Nothing has topped Tower of Latria IMHO

Voidwolf

OoK's damage and health in NG+++ just seems like utter bs even with 65 vitality and the +15% HP rune equipped he can still 3 shot you in the first phase. And the bloodied Chikage form is too risky to use here so I'm pretty much screwed. 2 days on this so far and I've only gotten close to beating him twice out of god knows how many attempts.

Gbraga

Demons still wins for me in the level design and aesthetics departments. Nothing has topped Tower of Latria IMHO

People talk so much about the Tower of Latria, but Boletarian Palace is the best world by far, imo. Really underrated because people only talk about Latria :p

Royal Wood is open nothing with more nothing and some trees with nothing in between them. I liked the woods in Dark Souls 2 a ton but I wish that area was larger and that gimmick used throughout rather than for 2 seconds.

Oolacile Township is the specific hallway I'm talking about. It doesn't feel particularly interesting to explore and there really isn't a whole lot of it to explore anyway. It never feels like you can get lost in it like the really great levels in the series (Latria, Stonefang, Shulva, Sen's).

There's nothing really going on in Chasm for me. It's got the same issue that all the "big open area" levels have where there actually isn't a lot of interesting things going on in it. I thought Dark Souls 2 did those types of areas the best (Frozen Outskirts da beessssst).

This is mostly true. Just copy Demon's Souls over and over and I might be happy.

I'm going to judge the bosses based on my skill level, not the skill level of others. While I adore Gehrman (best fight in the series), he is *waaaaaaaaay* too easy to parry and parrying kinda makes all of the really great bosses in this game a bit too easy for me. I go out of my way not to parry them just so I can actually enjoy their movesets.

I assume you're fully aware of how wildly some of your opinions differ from the rest of the community, right? Unless you're trolling which is entirely possible with that statement.

Beat L
udwig
after my 4th attempt. Having extra VIT really helps for that one, to be honest. I died a few times trying to learn his phase 1 swiping pattern, and then I died when he did his mega sword explosion-blast thing. But after that it was pretty easy, partially on the merit of how easily he can be staggered and stunned with Kirk.

I'm up to Mergo's Wet Nurse in the "main" game, so now I'll focus on clearing out the DLC, clearing out the last of the chalices, and getting dat Platinum. The
Research hall
is hella Latria 3-1.

Manu

Yeah, this is definitely Opposite Day :p

TitusTroy

with the
Ludwig
boss fight, is there any way to avoid the move when he jumps onto the ceiling and drops down...95% of the time he always seems to land on me no matter what I do-- dodging, rolling out of the way, running away etc

neoism

if it was the best on NG I don't see why it shouldn't be on NG+

personally I rather farming the 2 pigs in Mensis.

yeah thanks i didnt know if they like fixed it or what and i did testing and they are really close.. the lecture 2rd floor is just waaay safer, and faster...plus too many things can go wrong with those pigs.....

Dez_

with the
Ludwig
boss fight, is there any way to avoid the move when he jumps onto the ceiling and drops down...95% of the time he always seems to land on me no matter what I do-- dodging, rolling out of the way, running away etc
He always creates two blood droplets before dropping down, so I used that to time my dodge rolls. Then again, I've seen videos of people sprinting in a straight line from one side of the room to the other, so that actually sounds a lot easier to do.

Zocano

I assume you're fully aware of how wildly some of your opinions differ from the rest of the community, right? Unless you're trolling which is entirely possible with that statement.

I'm very aware, yes. Won't stop Demon's Souls from being the best tier.

I must be slacking on my oppressiveness in any Souls thread. I pride myself on spouting that Dark Souls is my least favorite of the Souls games.

Latria and Stonefang are unrivaled. Boletaria Castle is also really awesome. I love bleak dark fantasy and Demon's Souls gets it just right.

Literally only one of the bosses has nothing interesting going on with it (Dirty Colossus) and *even that one* has the excuse of being the end of the most oppressive and difficult and grueling level of Demon's Souls, a game that prides itself on such.

Every other boss has a twist or something unique to hook you into it. Very few of the bosses are just a standard ass enemy you fight that just happens to have a bunch of health. And when the enemy is a "standard ass enemy" it either has a cool arena that lets you mix up your playstyle (Tower Knight and Leechmonger) or is exceptional and the absolute best with interesting movesets and constantly playing a spacing game that forces you to reassess constantly (Flamelurker, Allant).

Starting with Dark Souls, they pretty much ditched the idea of the quirky bosses and now we just get blob fights one after the other. Asylum Demon is the worst.

But nah, tho. Demon's Souls didn't just lean on standard fare orchestral shit and liked to throw in goofy tracks here and there. Adjudicator HONK HONK.

Like I mentioned very briefly earlier in this post, I love dark fantasy and Demon's Souls hits it just right. Dark Souls gets a bit too high fantasy and silly for me with stuff like Seeth and all the crystal stuff. I just like the grim dark oppressiveness of Demon's Souls.

Hm... Maybe.

Dost Thou Seeketh Soul Power?

Curufinwe

yeah thanks i didnt know if they like fixed it or what and i do testing and they are really close.. the lecture 2rd floor is just waaay safer, and faster...plus too many things can go wrong with those pigs.....

I get about 9,400 per student doing visceral attacks with the right runes equipped, and there are 16 of them. So 150,00+ echoes every four minutes.

CHC

People talk so much about the Tower of Latria, but Boletarian Palace is the best world by far, imo. Really underrated because people only talk about Latria :p

Yeah honestly level 1-1 (the gates) is just a perfect "thesis statement" for the entire series. It's got it all - grim atmosphere, incredible enemy variety, verticality, interconnection, shortcuts, and an enjoyable, fresh, bizarre boss. It has pretty much every single element that defines the Souls series, so if you enjoy 1-1, it's pretty safe to say you'll enjoy all the games.

I think people like Latria so much because it starts off as this demented claustrophobic prison with crazy squid faces walking around. Then the next part is some crazy hell hole with gargoyles walking around with a constant demonic heartbeat ringing in your ears. The level is all atmosphere really. Boletaria is cool too though, it's definitely a castle that tells its own history. As souls castles go it's definitely the most alive and intact one, at least from what I've seen since I didn't make it to whatever castle is in Dark Souls 2.

Zocano

Yeah, this is definitely Opposite Day :p

I dunno where you were but when Ivory Crown came out, Frozen Outskirts was pretty hotly divisive in the Dark Souls 2 thread. It was much more love/hate than the other 2 "optional" areas in the other DLCs. I really love Frozen Outskirts. Has a completely different feel and style than any other Souls area.

_______

The music is here or there. The art/aesthetic is very subjective. The level design I can *sort of* understand when it comes to the interconnectedness (which I couldn't give a shit about but like I said I understand).

But the boss fights? I'll fuckin' fight anyone over the boss fights. Demon's Souls is still absolute without a single doubt king in that regard. Absolute shittening from great heights.

Donos

with the
Ludwig

Just constant rolling in does the trick for me. He never hits me but lands 1mm next to me.
I think sprinting just in one direction does the trick too. The 10ish fights before i killed him worked always like that. Never got hit.

myco666

Like I mentioned very briefly earlier in this post, I love dark fantasy and Demon's Souls hits it just right. Dark Souls gets a bit too high fantasy and silly for me with stuff like Seeth and all the crystal stuff. I just like the grim dark oppressiveness of Demon's Souls.

My man! As much as I like Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 they don't even touch Demon's Souls because of they are way too 'warm' and 'light'. Demon's feels like a neverending nightmare and that feeling was missing in both Dark Souls games. I think Bloodborne is better than Demon's though but mostly because I love the more aggressive gameplay.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Frustrating to see opinions like this as someone who really likes how FROM integrates their add-ons into the game proper and frames it within the lore as a cohesive piece of the lore.

I really fail to see what "paying $20" has to do with demanding the content be accessible from the main menu or whatever. Should each area of the game be split up into menu accessible options that are unlocked from the get go just because we paid for the whole package?

I do a lot with black sky eye, 4xx on mobs who are neutral to it, and 800 to mobs that are weak against it.

In PVP you can hit through walls with it and trap people in tight spaces and use the L2 which is basically a close range call from beyond which would instakill invaders easily. It leaves you super vulnerable though and the moveset is VERY slow and strange. I ended up just using threaded cane full time instead of it. It does a lot of damage though if you're an arcane build and find the right gems. A lot more than my threaded cane I'll give it that. Also a lot of the tentacle moves have more poise break for some reason and you get a -20% reduction in damage when rolling with the kos parasite and rune equipped.

It's a weird moveset but if you can stomach how your character looks and learn the moveset, it is really good. (Just people people who are cooping, stop running into mobs and bosses and spamming L2)

Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good all in all. Not a fan of slow weapons though, but still, with those extra benefits of the reduced damage and such that's pretty nice. And as for the eye, I was seeing it do like 350-ish damage on a boss, it probably was resistant then. 4xx is better and it does have that crazy fast firing speed, so that makes up for a lot.

Sylas

Frustrating to see opinions like this as someone who really likes how FROM integrates their add-ons into the game proper and frames it within the lore as a cohesive piece of the lore.

I really fail to see what "paying $20" has to do with demanding the content be accessible from the main menu or whatever. Should each area of the game be split up into menu accessible options that are unlocked from the get go just because we paid for the whole package?

I think the frustration mostly comes from the fact that BB immediately shunts you into NG+ the moment you clear the game. The other Souls games made you choose to advance to NG+.

I didn't wanna deal with it on NG+ my first time around so I started a whole new character and I can see that being a not-super-viable option for someone that isn't very good at the game/didn't love it enough to play it multiple times.

Zocano

My man! As much as I like Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 they don't even touch Demon's Souls because of they are way too 'warm' and 'light'. Demon's feels like a neverending nightmare and that feeling was missing in both Dark Souls games. I think Bloodborne is better than Demon's though but mostly because I love the more aggressive gameplay.

There's something very specific about the entire mood of World 1 in Demon's Souls that is just absolute beauty. If a Demon's Souls remaster ever actually does happen (and honestly I think the odds are pretty good in its favor), it will look completely and utterly phenomenal.

edit: ... I think I might just replay Demon's Souls right now. Such masterful perfection.

I think the frustration mostly comes from the fact that BB immediately shunts you into NG+ the moment you clear the game. The other Souls games made you choose to advance to NG+.

Actually Dark Souls 2 is the only one that let you choose to start NG+ (and honestly I thought it was a welcome change).

Yeah Demons and Bloodborne just have the best fucking atmosphere. Demon's is straight up "world be fucked" and Bloodborne is the same way. Mix that with Bloodborne's art style and it's literally a world you would never wish to inhabit. Demons is the same way too, both games don't have a single nice or warm friendly persona outside of certain NPC's that isn't your level up waifu. Now that I think of it aren't most of the Demons NPC's failed heroes? With their crestfallen being the most insane version of the character I can think of?

I can see the issue there yeah, would have been nice to have the option to go into NG+ yourself. Although from FROM's perspective, if you make it accessible right away via menu, you can't really make it an endgame area (unless you add in a level requirement). And if say, you activated the stone right away without needing to at least beat Amelia, you get this situation where newbies would find that very confusing. Kinda like with the skeleton area in Dark Souls. I mean we know how many people took that wrong turn, me included :p

p3n

You should probably (re)play "the other Souls games" before making bold claims. The ONLY Souls game that requires you to activate NG+ manually is Dark Souls 2. Demon's and Dark Souls 1 drop you right into NG+ after the last encounter/story sequence.

I dunno where you were but when Ivory Crown came out, Frozen Outskirts was pretty hotly divisive in the Dark Souls 2 thread. It was much more love/hate than the other 2 "optional" areas in the other DLCs. I really love Frozen Outskirts. Has a completely different feel and style than any other Souls area.

_______

The music is here or there. The art/aesthetic is very subjective. The level design I can *sort of* understand when it comes to the interconnectedness (which I couldn't give a shit about but like I said I understand).

But the boss fights? I'll fuckin' fight anyone over the boss fights. Demon's Souls is still absolute without a single doubt king in that regard. Absolute shittening from great heights.

It's weird that you seem to value boss difficulty and movesets but then go on to say Demon's Souls bosses are the best. Demon's Souls has the easiest bosses in the series as a whole. The only bosses that could be considered difficult are Flamelurker and Maneaters. Demon's Souls was my first Souls game and I killed most of the bosses on the first try, including Allant. With a horrible build using a Sharp Secret Dagger. OoK is vastly more interesting than any Demon's Souls boss. I'm starting to think you've got some serious rose-tinted goggles for Demon's Souls.

It's also weird that you say you don't give a shit about interconnectedness, but claim that you love the DS2 DLC areas. Interconnectedness is the only reason the DS2 DLC areas are considered to be good. The enemy placement is just as bad as the main game if not worse. The NPC invasions are horrible. The bosses are hit or miss. Fume Knight, Sinh, and Allone are great. Burnt Ivory King's arena is cool, but the fight is pretty easy and boring. The rest are pretty mediocre.

As for the Frigid Outskirts, you're literally the first person I've ever seen express anything but hate for it. It's easily the worst area in Soulsborne. By a huge margin.

Finally, Maria > Doll > Maiden in Black for waifu.

gogosox82

I didn't wanna deal with it on NG+ my first time around so I started a whole new character and I can see that being a not-super-viable option for someone that isn't very good at the game/didn't love it enough to play it multiple times.

Actually only DS2 let you do that. All the other games in the series immediately send you into ng+. I think its slightly annoying but I wouldn't call it bs like Patrick and Mclroy are.

I thought I would share my video of my level 62 kill of Ludwig with you guys: https://youtu.be/vmBIClgYWTQ

It's admittedly pretty sloppy, but it worked out OK in the end. Using the Beasthunter Saif, and I absolutely love this thing. It's got a very fast attack set when in its compact mode, which was what I used here.

Zocano

It's weird that you seem to value boss difficulty and movesets but then go on to say Demon's Souls bosses are the best. Demon's Souls has the easiest bosses in the series as a whole. The only bosses that could be considered difficult are Flamelurker and Maneaters. Demon's Souls was my first Souls game and I killed most of the bosses on the first try, including Allant. With a horrible build using a Sharp Secret Dagger. OoK is vastly more interesting than any Demon's Souls boss. I'm starting to think you've got some serious rose-tinted goggles for Demon's Souls.

It's also weird that you say you don't give a shit about interconnectedness, but claim that you love the DS2 DLC areas. Interconnectedness is the only reason the DS2 DLC areas are considered to be good. The enemy placement is just as bad as the main game if not worse. The NPC invasions are horrible. The bosses are hit or miss. Fume Knight, Sinh, and Allone are great. Burnt Ivory King's arena is cool, but the fight is pretty easy and boring. The rest are pretty mediocre.

As for the Frigid Outskirts, you're literally the first person I've ever seen express anything but hate for it. It's easily the worst area in Soulsborne. By a huge margin.

Finally, Maria > Doll > Maiden in Black for waifu.

Firstly, like I said, back when the DLC first came out, a ton of people were divided on that area in the Dark Souls 2 OT. Obviously, I was one of the people that liked it. Really love the area.

Secondly, the Dark Souls 2 DLCs are the same isolated levels that all the other DLCs are? I mean yes it's a contiguous level but it's not like they're forcing the area to fit somewhere in the core game. The Sunken King is a giant puzzle labyrinth in a ziggurat. What's not to love?

Lastly, the Demon's Souls bosses are more than just standard enemy fights. That's my whole point about them. I think it's commendable and awesome that they are all mostly gimmick fights and I prefer it that way. Starting with Dark Souls, most (in practice all but two or three) just had you slug it out with a single enemy like you would any standard mob. Yes, of course, fighting Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, and many of the other bosses aren't just a hollow dreg, but you are still approaching them with the mindset of a combatant in that way.

But Demon's Souls bosses are so much more than that and it's awesome. You've got Fool's Idol which is a tricks and traps boss. The pacing of that fight is completely different from Armor Spider that has you running back and forth in a tunnel which is completely different from the pacing in Maiden Astraea's fight which is extremely personal and intimate (and thus in extreme opposition and juxtaposition with the entirety of the Valley of Defilement).

When I'm talking about OoK movesets and any of the Hunter battles in Bloodborne or any of the standard typical boss fights in Dark Souls, I'm thinking of them from the perspective of fights like Flamelurker and Allant and Allone and Fume Knight and (now) the actual Hunters in Bloodborne which are the exceptional top tier "slug it out with a dude" boss fights in the series.

I thought I would share my video of my level 62 kill of Ludwig with you guys: https://youtu.be/vmBIClgYWTQ

It's admittedly pretty sloppy, but it worked out OK in the end. Using the Beasthunter Saif, and I absolutely love this thing. It's got a very fast attack set when in its compact mode, which was what I used here.

Nice job on that, you went in the right times and dodged the charge the second time very nice as well as those jumps. Got smacked a few times but that just happens with him :p

That's a mistake a lot of people make I feel, they're too passive with him but you really do need to go in when he does those slow wide swipes, most attacks will miss you when you're that close. You really need to be aggressive in this fight I feel (although you need to know when to get out too ofc). Generally speaking I mean.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
NPC invasions are the best thing about DS2 DLC. Still salty about Maldron ramming a spear up your ass?

Firstly, like I said, back when the DLC first came out, a ton of people were divided on that area in the Dark Souls 2 OT. Obviously, I was one of the people that liked it. Really love the area.

Secondly, the Dark Souls 2 DLCs are the same isolated levels that all the other DLCs are? I mean yes it's a contiguous level but it's not like they're forcing the area to fit somewhere in the core game. The Sunken King is a giant puzzle labyrinth in a ziggurat. What's not to love?

Lastly, the Demon's Souls bosses are more than just standard enemy fights. That's my whole point about them. I think it's commendable and awesome that they are all mostly gimmick fights and I prefer it that way. Starting with Dark Souls, most (in practice all but two or three) just had you slug it out with a single enemy like you would any standard mob. Yes, of course, fighting Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, and many of the other bosses aren't just a hollow dreg, but you are still approaching them with the mindset of a combatant in that way.

But Demon's Souls bosses are so much more than that and it's awesome. You've got Fool's Idol which is a tricks and traps boss. The pacing of that fight is completely different from Armor Spider that has you running back and forth in a tunnel which is completely different from the pacing in Maiden Astraea's fight which is extremely personal and intimate (and thus in extreme opposition and juxtaposition with the entirety of the Valley of Defilement).

When I'm talking about OoK movesets and any of the Hunter battles in Bloodborne or any of the standard typical boss fights in Dark Souls, I'm thinking of them from the perspective of fights like Flamelurker and Allant and Allone and Fume Knight and (now) the actual Hunters in Bloodborne which are the exceptional top tier "slug it out with a dude" boss fights in the series.
Pretty much you like it when a boss battle isn't just some melee slog against an enemy with a hyper extended health bar. Minus crazy shit like the Man Eaters, Flamelurker and Allant, most of the boss battles are tackled in their own unique way. I have to cheese Man Eaters, but Flamelurker is still one of my favorites...cause I'm always hiding behind a purple flame shield.

Top Bottom