• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the frustration mostly comes from the fact that BB immediately shunts you into NG+ the moment you clear the game. The other Souls games made you choose to advance to NG+.

I didn't wanna deal with it on NG+ my first time around so I started a whole new character and I can see that being a not-super-viable option for someone that isn't very good at the game/didn't love it enough to play it multiple times.

I don't understand why someone who isn't very good at the game/didn't love it would be interested in playing this DLC day one.

The way FROM integrates their DLC makes this a much better experience for all future playthroughs of the game and for anyone who is picking up the game for the first time as a complete version.

It *only* is frustrating for people who finished the game and immediately stopped playing it and also happen to have the need to quickly experience the new content within a limited schedule. So, pretty much just bloggers and game journalists.

Even for them, it shouldn't be hard to run through the first few bosses on NG+ to get into the DLC.

Just gonna chime in and say I found OoK phase 1 to be on the easy side as well. I think he's got a pretty cool move set though, with some AoE, some 360 attacks, lunging attacks, etc. But he's easy to stagger, and most moves can be avoided by side-stepping around his right.

Phase 2 tho...

Firstly, like I said, back when the DLC first came out, a ton of people were divided on that area in the Dark Souls 2 OT. Obviously, I was one of the people that liked it. Really love the area.

idontbelieveyou.gif. Link me some posts.

Secondly, the Dark Souls 2 DLCs are the same isolated levels that all the other DLCs are? I mean yes it's a contiguous level but it's not like they're forcing the area to fit somewhere in the core game. The Sunken King is a giant puzzle labyrinth in a ziggurat. What's not to love?

OK so you don't care about the overall world connectivity, but you do care about the individual level interconnections? That's fair. That's what I meant, and I agree. The level design of the DLC areas is great.

Lastly, the Demon's Souls bosses are more than just standard enemy fights. That's my whole point about them. I think it's commendable and awesome that they are all mostly gimmick fights and I prefer it that way. Starting with Dark Souls, most (in practice all but two or three) just had you slug it out with a single enemy like you would any standard mob. Yes, of course, fighting Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, and many of the other bosses aren't just a hollow dreg, but you are still approaching them with the mindset of a combatant in that way.

But Demon's Souls bosses are so much more than that and it's awesome. You've got Fool's Idol which is a tricks and traps boss. The pacing of that fight is completely different from Armor Spider that has you running back and forth in a tunnel which is completely different from the pacing in Maiden Astraea's fight which is extremely personal and intimate (and thus in extreme opposition and juxtaposition with the entirety of the Valley of Defilement).

When I'm talking about OoK movesets and any of the Hunter battles in Bloodborne or any of the standard typical boss fights in Dark Souls, I'm thinking of them from the perspective of fights like Flamelurker and Allant and Allone and Fume Knight and (now) the actual Hunters in Bloodborne which are the exceptional top tier "slug it out with a dude" boss fights in the series.

I guess can understand that as well. Many of the Demon's Souls bosses are interesting in that way for sure. People shit on Dragon God all the time, but I personally love it. But I still think intense 1 on 1 fights are more satisfying in the end.

I'm a little confused by your last paragraph though. Are you saying that OoK is less interesting than those other fights you list? Flamelurker, etc. Because I strongly disagree. OoK's moveset is vast compared to anything from Demon's Souls.

NPC invasions are the best thing about DS2 DLC. Still salty about Maldron ramming a spear up your ass?

Irory King Maldron is great. Old Iron King Maldron is just stupid. The thing I hate the most about them is a) their tracking, and b) their HP. Maldron can do a 360 in mid-air on his jumping R2 attack. I pretty much just ignore them if at all possible. If there's a good reward for beating them, sure. But most of the time there isn't. I feel similarly about Bloodborne hunters when it comes to HP. And their infinite bullets.

Sylas

You should probably (re)play "the other Souls games" before making bold claims. The ONLY Souls game that requires you to activate NG+ manually is Dark Souls 2. Demon's and Dark Souls 1 drop you right into NG+ after the last encounter/story sequence.

No need to be such a fussy little baby about it! My mistake. :) I think DS2's way of doing it was the best, in that case.

I don't understand why someone who isn't very good at the game/didn't love it would be interested in playing this DLC day one.

The way FROM integrates their DLC makes this a much better experience for all future playthroughs of the game and for anyone who is picking up the game for the first time as a complete version.

It *only* is frustrating for people who finished the game and immediately stopped playing it and also happen to have the need to quickly experience the new content within a limited schedule. So, pretty much just bloggers and game journalists.

Even for them, it shouldn't be hard to run through the first few bosses on NG+ to get into the DLC.

I agree! But a lot of people are fascinated by the game and want to see the content, even if they aren't very good at it. A lot of my friends struggled with the game but still wanted to see where it was going--and they ended up loving the challenge! But they also didn't wanna do it again.

I'm not saying dumb it down, I'm just saying why I think people that aren't super good at the game might wanna see the content immediately. Especially since some of the magic in these games is being part of the discovery zeitgeist.

I also think it's the fact that there were early reports that the DLC was super hard on NG+ as opposed to just NG.

TheGrue

I'm not saying dumb it down, I'm just saying why I think people that aren't super good at the game might wanna see the content immediately. Especially since some of the magic in these games is being part of the discovery zeitgeist.

Considering the first enemy you meet in the DLC is way tougher than any of the normal enemies you meet (with maybe the exception of the Church Giants) through the parts you have to get through to unlock the DLC (Yharnam through Cathedral Ward), they should probably practice up before tackling if they're not that good.

silva1991

I soloed OoK, never parried any of its attacks and I thought the fight was best the DLC has to offer.
Maria
is also really good but she should have some super armor. Pretty much any hit will stagger her except against few moves that are easy to parry.

I totally changed my mind about this fight after I learned pretty much all of his attacks patterns. watching Peeve fighting him for 26hrs was frustrating tho lol.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Their HP is huge because otherwise they would be too easy. The player as so many advantages over them, like not being run on simple AI routines and having access to a shit ton of healing items.

Maldron running away like shitty estus spammers was a highlight.

This isn't something that has a definitive answer, but I love to think about it anyway. DLC like this raises all sorts of questions about what was always planned, what was invented post release, and how things were implement.

We know that the DLC was originally envisioned as two packages. But, probably very early on, it was decided to make one big campaign instead.

We also know that every game has cut content. This is a reality of development. Things are excluded for time, budget, and any variety of reasons. That doesn't mean, though, that cut content that existed doesn't influence the main game. Let's not forget the broken archway in Demon's Souls.

So, this is kind of what I've been thinking about:

I think it's pretty obvious that the two DLC packs were sketched out to be the
Astral Observatory
and the
Fishing Hamlet
. These are distinct and coherent areas that could have easily existed outside of the Nightmare. There is visibly a
clocktower in Yharnam already, and the other location could have easily been implemented anywhere off of the shoreline.

But let's start with the third and final area.

The Lone Survivor starting class references that the player is the only survivor of a lost fishing hamlet, which is probably a minor reference to this place's intended existence. A hamlet is a pretty specific place to reference. Which means that the idea of the hamlet being "lost" already existed during the vanilla development. Since this area also includes Kos, it was probably already "known" internally what Kos was, how it was discovered, and what became of the fishing town.

So much of, if all of, what we see in the fishing hamlet was probably always "known" to have occurred by Miyazaki and his team. It was content not included during the original development cycle for whatever reason. Probably because it's such a demanding area with exclusive enemies, weather, and characters. Other than the corpse of Kos remaining on the beach after all this time, this area doesn't need to take place in a nightmare at all. In fact, it doesn't even LOOK like nightmare territory

It's only connection to the nightmare is that it contains Maria's weapon, which she threw down the well.

Which brings us to the second area.

The clocktower doesn't look like nightmare stuff either, except for two distinct areas: the Lumenwood Garden and the balcony area. These areas feel sort of tacked on. The balcony takes place in a space that could easily not be there at all, and the garden serves as a strange outdoor buffer before the fight with Maria. Simon doesn't tell you to ascend the stairs and fight the Living Failures, he tells you to to kill Maria. So opening the doors and finding another garden before Maria herself is quite the surprise.

I believe the clocktower area was also a freestanding area that had some "Nightmare" content added in to remind the player they're still in it. The clocktower could have easily been accessed through the Upper Cathedral Ward.

Because one of the things that stands out to me is the room where you fight "human Amelia" and the woman in black church garb. I didn't recognize where this took place geographically until I entered it through the clocktower balcony. We are in the room that, in the real world, houses the elevator that takes us to Ebrietas.

In the main game, we break the window and exit the Lumenflower Garden (where we fight the Celestial Emissary) and fall into the indoor balcony of a cathedral. Although we can see down below, where there is a big open room and an altar, we cannot access this space. It exists only to give depth to the room we have just entered. We go to the back of the room and board the elevator to fight Ebrietas.

The clocktower is, as far as Nightmare Geography, accessed through this very church. Meaning, instead of Ebrietas, we probably would have boarded the elevator to the astral observatory instead.

But then where would Ebrietas be?

Well, we know from the Project Beast footage that Ebrietas was originally fought in the Grand Cathedral.

But then where would Vicar Amelia be?

My guess is on the lower floor of the Ebrietas Cathedral, which is completely inaccessible in the main game, but is where we fight the two church women (including "human Amelia") in the Nightmare.

I speculate that we would have entered through the ground floor just as we did in the DLC. As we approached the altar, Vicar Amelia would have been praying in front of it, then transformed into the beast. After defeating her, we would board te elevator to the clocktower.

Because let's remember, this would have been much later in the game as well.

Which brings us to the first area.

I think the "nightmare" idea was only devised once the plans for DLC were put into motion. To tie the two sections together, and to also sever the sequences from the main game's continuity, the Hunter's Nightmare idea was implemented. This was an effective and economical idea, as it allowed them to recycle areas and expand the DLC package even further.

But then, if this area was never planned, where would we have fought Ludwig and Laurence?

I don't think we would have.

Laurence, remember, was already explained in the main game. He had a full and complete story. His skull was in the Grand Cathedral, his headless corpse was in the Chalice Dungeons, there were no holes here.

Laurence as the flaming Cleric Beast disrupts that former continuity somewhat. He feels far more "retconned" in than the other material, which feels that it was always there.

And, honestly, I think it's the same for Ludwig.

Nobody was expecting to find Ludwig in beast form. Ludwig was simply long gone. His presence as a beast does not disrupt or strongly contribute to the lore. It changes it slightly, because now another unknown is known, but I think Ludwig and Laurence were created to populate the new "third area" of the nightmare.

So, to recap:
The DLC was originally the fishing hamlet and the clocktower basically exactly how they appear. They were originally areas conceived for the main game that were cut from development, but remained part of the known lore in-house. Stuff like who the doll was meant to resemble and who Kos was are questions we find answered, but that means the answers had to exist to begin with. I highly, highly doubt that Miyazaki and his team would have characters and lore with no answers in their own minds.

When the DLC was combined into one package, the Hunter's Nigtmare was invented to tie the two areas together and expand the new locations even further. The Nightmare links the two locations together which would have otherwise appeared on the map in their own locations.

The hamlet could have been anywhere at all. But we have a road in Hemwick Charnel Lane that ends and abruptly becomes a drop off. We pick up a Great Sea rune here. But that road could have continued into a path that led to the fishing hamlet.

The clocktower would have appeared in place of Ebrietas in the Upper Cathedral. The Living Failures could have taken the place of the Celestial Emissary, which is kind of a weird boss that recycles common mobs, and the staircase in the clocktower would have led straight to Maria.

Ludwig and Laurence were created specifically for the new area.

These are just ideas. Stuff I've been thinking about. How stuff forms in development has always been really interesting to me. It's rare we are given this many puzzle pieces in a modern game.

Their HP is huge because otherwise they would be too easy. The player as so many advantages over them, like not being run on simple AI routines and having access to a shit ton of healing items.

Maldron running away like shitty estus spammers was a highlight.

I get my fill of shitty estus spammers when I PvP. It was definitely cool and unique the first time, but after that point it's just tedious. He's not difficult to kill, he's just annoying. Which is why I ignore him... in the Iron King DLC at least. The invader disguised as a box that backstabs you is amazing though.

myco666

This stupid Bowblade is seriously throwing me off my game. Died bunch of times against first boss of the DLC but finally managed it with it.

There's something very specific about the entire mood of World 1 in Demon's Souls that is just absolute beauty. If a Demon's Souls remaster ever actually does happen (and honestly I think the odds are pretty good in its favor), it will look completely and utterly phenomenal.

edit: ... I think I might just replay Demon's Souls right now. Such masterful perfection.

Yeah. The lack of vibrant colors is what really makes it feel so oppressive atleast to me. Usually I would complain how game is brown or grey or whatever but here it really adds to the atmosphere they were clearly going for. Also Boletaria has one of my favorite cutscenes which is the one where you open the door to 1-3. That has really stuck on me.

edit.
I totally changed my mind about this fight after I learned pretty much all of his attacks patterns. watching Peeve fighting him for 26hrs was frustrating tho lol.

It is a fantastic fight. Didn't top Micholash as my favorite boss though but I don't think anything will to be honest.

Yeah. The lack of vibrant colors is what really makes it feel so oppressive atleast to me. Usually I would complain how game is brown or grey or whatever but here it really adds to the atmosphere they were clearly going for. Also Boletaria has one of my favorite cutscenes which is the one where you open the door to 1-3. That has really stuck on me.
Penetrator penetrates like Lexington Steele.

MilkBeard

One small adjustment to your findings:

The area down below that you can see, just before you fight Ebrietas, that you can't access in the main game, is actually where you fight Vicar Amelia in the Grand Cathedral. If you look closely, you can see the lamp, and the skull at the altar. Not only that, but if you are actually in the Grand Cathedral, you walk out, and you look over the distance straight ahead, you can see the path up above that leads to the Upper Cathedral Ward. You can trace that skyline all the way around, to where the path leads to where you go to fight Celestial Emmisary and eventually going above the Grand Cathedral to Fight Ebrietas.

Edit: And your ideas about the DLC are interesting. I don't think anything is retconned. I just think that they wanted to flesh out some characters that were in the Lore, but did not really appear in the main game as a focus. Also, you have to remember the DLC is called Old Hunters. They could have called it something else, like Wrath of Kos, or something similar. I think the whole Hunter's Nightmare has to tie in because Ludwig and Gherman were Hunters, as well as Maria, and all the Hunter NPCs in the beginning, and the tragedy at the Fishing Hamlet ties in to their backstory. It is like they are subconsciously linked to said tragedy because it has something to do with the source of the Nightmare.

ISee

I just finished the DLC. It started pretty good, the whole first nightmare area was interesting and
the river of blood
really felt disturbing. But then came my highlight: The
Research Hall and Clocktower
. Absolutely good designed, great atmosphere, superb introduction and one of the coolest boss fights in Bloodborne. epic!
Very sadly the third part wasn't able to keep up and was a big downfall. I didn't like it at all, the level design was even a bit boring and felt rushed. But maybe it's just me.

first dlc part:8/10
second dlc part:10/10
third dlc part: 6/10

But overall, I enjoyed it. And the biggest downfall: I have no new 'souls' content now till DS3.

20151201_215449mhjh3.jpg

Akara

Banned
last part of the game scared me
it showed me what the church did to these poor places, like gosh I feel guilty putting on a choir garb or church dress now, even at home

One small adjustment to your findings:

The area down below that you can see, just before you fight Ebrietas, that you can't access in the main game, is actually where you fight Vicar Amelia in the Grand Cathedral. If you look closely, you can see the lamp, and the skull at the altar. Not only that, but if you are actually in the Grand Cathedral, you walk out, and you look over the distance straight ahead, you can see the path up above that leads to the Upper Cathedral Ward. You can trace that skyline all the way around, to where the path leads to where you go to fight Celestial Emmisary and eventually going above the Grand Cathedral to Fight Ebrietas.

Wow, seriously?

Because I originally assumed that, because I thought it was so weird that you couldn't access that lower area. But when I got a closer look at it, the geography didn't seem to check out. I know From geography doesn't always check out, especially in regards to shape and distance, but I thought it was way, way off.

If that's really the Grand Cathedral, it's definitely weird. Because that means the Hunter's Nightmare has
two Grand Cathedrals. The one where you fight Laurence and the one where you fight the church women and take the elevator up.

Which is okay because it's a twisted nightmare with no rules, but it's definitely strange.

I'll have to visit that area again when I get home and scope it out for myself. Because I thought that I concluded it had to be a different Cathedral all together based on the architecture and map layout. I thought Ebrietas was closer to the Oedon Chapel area and very far away from the Grand Cathedral.

Zocano

I can understand that Tower of Lateria can have the best/one of the best level designs, but every other level in DeS was decent at best imo.

Stonefang (specifically 2-2) is massively underrated. I love the intense claustrophobia and how endless, aimless, and confusing the tunnels are.

If that's really the Grand Cathedral, it's definitely weird. Because that means the Hunter's Nightmare has
two Grand Cathedrals. The one where you fight Laurence and the one where you fight the church women and take the elevator up.

The first key item you get in the DLC says that there are two cathedrals in the nightmare =P

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Eye+Pendant

And yes, Ebrietas lives underneath the Grand Cathedral.

MilkBeard

Yeah, it is strange that in the Nightmare there are
two Grand Cathedrals
. I guess it doesn't matter, because it is a Nightmare realm, where it is a twisted take on the real area. But in a way it makes sense because they wanted to show you two different things in the same place.

The first key item you get in the DLC says that there are two cathedrals in the nightmare =P

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Eye+Pendant

And yes, Ebrietas lives underneath the Grand Cathedral.
Yep, so the item even says it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
edit.
Wasn't Smelter only a palette swap though? L has two totally new phases and even the regular moves have new properties.
Smelter v2 has one new move but was otherwise a palette swap, yeah. I wasn't saying L was recycled, but the early Nightmare level was. Many of the enemies are not even new (Old Yharnam beasts, blood ticks, crows) and many of the new ones are just variants of old ones (hunters mobs).

Also: The fact you NEED to do research on how to access DLC you payed for is ridicolous and should be criticized. That's what they are doing.
Research? Can't these people read simple instructions? Holy shit...

Weirdly, I disagree with this - the re-use of assets felt deliberate and meaningful, and made me think about the nature of the game.
Yeah. To call it a reskin is not quite accurate. And really, we are talking about a Nightmare realm based on the real areas in the game, which means they are going to be familiar.
Pretty convenient excuse isn't it? "Oh it recycles assets because it's a nightmare version of Yharnam!" Uh-huh... (nevermind that the nightmare levels in the game had unique architecture and layouts...)

Secondly, my partner came in whilst I was in the plaza right at the start of the game, and she noticed that the beasts backed off of me, covering their face. I explained that they're afraid of fire, and they do that in another section of the original game (Old Yarnham), but then I noticed I didn't have a fire weapon equipped. She also asked why the hunters were attacking me and saying "cursed beast" when I was clearly human, and we talked about the nature of the "blood drunk" hunter, and how it's clear that hunters corrupted by the blood fail to see the difference, or to see the people who became the beasts.
Um, the hunters in the standard game call you "cursed beast" too...

Those two very facts are thrown at you right in the first act of the DLC - you're hunting people and beasts indiscriminately through a town entirely built upon the spilling/letting of blood.
So... just like Central Yharnam?

However, he asked where else he could have found the information prior to purchasing, and someone pointed out that it was available in handy article form on...

...Polygon.com

The site his complaint article was published on. That's almost too much irony for me to take.
Now that is legit funny.

I had more trouble with the living failures than Maria. Though a great fight she is it's definitely the easiest in the dlc.
lol... heh. I lost to her wayyyy more often than the other bosses.

I just finished the DLC. It started pretty good, the whole first nightmare area was interesting and
the river of blood
really felt disturbing. But then came my highlight: The
Research Hall and Clocktower
. Absolutely good designed, great atmosphere, superb introduction and one of the coolest boss fights in Bloodborne. epic!
Very sadly the third part wasn't able to keep up and was a big downfall. I didn't like it at all, the level design was even a bit boring and felt rushed. But maybe it's just me.

first dlc part:8/10
second dlc part:10/10
third dlc part: 6/10

But overall, I enjoyed it. And the biggest downfall: I have no new 'souls' content now till DS3.

Yeah I was pretty dissapointed with the third area as well. It's especially a bummer since the atmosphere and story details are amazing. I was hoping it would have been designed sort of like the Forbidden Woods. Instead the level and encounter design felt more like something out of Dark Souls 2. Haphazard enemy mobs, spams of ranged and tank enemies, explosive barrels everywhere, really short area with uninteresting shortcuts and progession, annoying NPC summons, etc. Bleh. At least it ends with a good boss.

zma1013

Yeah, it is strange that in the Nightmare there are
two Grand Cathedrals
. I guess it doesn't matter, because it is a Nightmare realm, where it is a twisted take on the real area. But in a way it makes sense because they wanted to show you two different things in the same place.

There are far more than that in the DLC.

Top Bottom