• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

neoism

wow man i really rememeber why i looove this game... the atmosphere is scond to none... reeeeeeeaaallly cant wait for DS3... im going through my ng+ game because im a one character guy.. got my 155 level character so far...

holyshit at ng+ ive mostly gone through areas one shoting them.. even the first main area of the dlc which is fucking awesome.. lol somehow got the lugwig without dieing damn those hunters dun play...@_@ but it really is harder..

also i just got the the lecture building level echos spot.. and holy fucking shit is it waaaay better im pretty sure i was getting 20-24k per run in ng.. but ng+
100k per run and i just timed it plus maybe a mintue and doing it really fast.. it
1mil per 10 mintues..@_@ dam thats 6 mil an hours.. i really only want to get to level 200 before i stop though...

also this is the very first time playing offline wasnt it suppose to have better fps or run alittle smoother offline or something for the most part its funny and sometimes helps you in battle but what id give for a 30 locked game...��

Neoweee

Yeah, it is strange that in the Nightmare there are
two Grand Cathedrals
. I guess it doesn't matter, because it is a Nightmare realm, where it is a twisted take on the real area. But in a way it makes sense because they wanted to show you two different things in the same place.

Yep, so the item even says it.

I like it. "What the church started as" and "What the church eventually became".

I just finished the DLC. It started pretty good, the whole first nightmare area was interesting and
the river of blood
really felt disturbing. But then came my highlight: The
Research Hall and Clocktower
. Absolutely good designed, great atmosphere, superb introduction and one of the coolest boss fights in Bloodborne. epic!
Very sadly the third part wasn't able to keep up and was a big downfall. I didn't like it at all, the level design was even a bit boring and felt rushed. But maybe it's just me.

first dlc part:8/10
second dlc part:10/10
third dlc part: 6/10

But overall, I enjoyed it. And the biggest downfall: I have no new 'souls' content now till DS3.

jack-daniel-s-tennessee-whiskey-law-1092042-TwoByOne.jpg

+ Up the nose
ima~1519.jpg
Experience again, for the first time.

zma1013

Eh? We are talking about the Grand Cathedrals. Of course there are more areas overall. We are noting the peculiarity about the Grand Cathedrals in particular.

in the last area looking down into the water are an infinite amount of those same key buildings we see in central yarnham.

Zocano

Is there still only like one Blood Chunk per run? I could only get my mace up to +10 in my first playthrough

There are 2 Blood Rocks now with the DLC (per run).

Of course, you could just farm the chalice dungeons but that is a ton of side effort and work to get set up.

I like it. "What the church started as" and "What the church eventually became".

Pretty sure they were always fucked up. Byrgenwerth was always a place of strange and unethical experimentation. It's just now
it's heavily hinted at that they killed Kos and experimented on her corpse

zma1013

Is there still only like one Blood Chunk per run? I could only get my mace up to +10 in my first playthrough

There's now 2 per run if u do the dlc. 1 in the main game and 1 in the dlc. You can get blood rocks from certain chalice dungeons once per character from each chalice type. Some report they sometimes randomly drop from chalice bosses.

Yeah I was pretty dissapointed with the third area as well. It's especially a bummer since the atmosphere and story details are amazing. I was hoping it would have been designed sort of like the Forbidden Woods. Instead the level and encounter design felt more like something out of Dark Souls 2. Haphazard enemy mobs, spams of ranged and tank enemies, explosive barrels everywhere, really short area with uninteresting shortcuts and progession, annoying NPC summons, etc. Bleh. At least it ends with a good boss.

Huh. I really loved the third area. I was just talking to a friend of mine about how it puts most of vanilla Bloodborne to shame.

In fact, after the second and third parts of the DLC, a lot of Bloodborne feels indistinct and tedious. It's still one of my favorite games ever, it's a game I'm proud to have Platinumed and I keep replaying Bloodborne instead of moving on to a new game, but that just goes to show you how much more I loved the DLC maps.

The third area is my favorite place in the whole game. I wish you could go into more of the buildings, but I love the map layout and how it circles back on itself and allows you to come back up through the well. I love how it goes deep underground and I love all the unique monsters and enemies. I love
Brador's invasions
and the
skittering beast that jumps down into the circle of explosives. Because you KNOW it's a trap. You KNOW that those explosives are probably going to explode as soon as you get down there. But you've also been trained to chase skittering beasts and kill them quickly. You know that it's probably going to have something good. At least some blood chunks. And if you don't come after it NOW, you'll have to come find it again later. So even though you know it's a dangerous trap, you chase it down into the hole and risk the explosion to kill it. Because skittering beasts create a sense of urgency, and you have to decide in a second whether to let it go or risk danger to get its loot.

I love everything about the final area. Other than the pretty straight pathway in the beginning, and all the closed doors, it's my favorite part of the whole Bloodborne experience.

Akara

Banned
There's now 2 per run if u do the dlc. 1 in the main game and 1 in the dlc. You can get blood rocks from certain chalice dungeons once per character from each chalice type. Some report they sometimes randomly drop from chalice bosses.

I've actually gotten multiple blood rocks from spamming the same chalice dungeon with phu elder. Its all luck though and perhaps because I have 99 arcane (increases item discovery)

MilkBeard

in the last area looking down into the water are an infinite amount of those same key buildings we see in central yarnham.

Yes but you don't have access to them. We were talking about areas you can access. That image in the water is just a representation of Yarnham. I kind of like to look at it as a metaphor. We don't know where the fishing hamlet is. But really, it has a very central effect on the entire story. The tragedy at the fishing hamlet looms over all the characters and the driving motive behind the game itself, just like how it 'looms' over the city in that map.

zma1013

I've actually gotten multiple blood rocks from spamming the same chalice dungeon with phu elder. Its all luck though and perhaps because I have 99 arcane (increases item discovery)

From the boss or the chests? It seems at least for me, after I've gotten a blood rock out of a chest already, the next time it's a great wisdom.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

God DS2 handled upgrade material so much better, especially in its DLC.

robo_qwop

Has anyone noticed that in the fight with
Orphan of Kos he's fighting with what can only be called a "weaponized placenta". The cord attached to the pink thing come from his stomach and wraps around to his arm...
Pretty goddamn gross.

neoism

I get about 9,400 per student doing visceral attacks with the right runes equipped, and there are 16 of them. So 150,00+ echoes every four minutes.

lol yeah read my post above skip v atts all the moon ruins you get 6120 per student... just kill all as fast as you can mask back the lamp repeat... 1mil in about 10-11 mintues..

ISee

Yeah I was pretty dissapointed with the third area as well. It's especially a bummer since the atmosphere and story details are amazing. I was hoping it would have been designed sort of like the Forbidden Woods. Instead the level and encounter design felt more like something out of Dark Souls 2. Haphazard enemy mobs, spams of ranged and tank enemies, explosive barrels everywhere, really short area with uninteresting shortcuts and progession, annoying NPC summons, etc. Bleh. At least it ends with a good boss.

The DS2 comparison is pretty accurate. I wonder if they did the area without Miyazakis 'help'.

Akara

Banned
The DS2 comparison is pretty accurate. I wonder if they did the area without Miyazakis 'help'.

I actually loved FH. So spooky what happened to all the denizens and how you managed to just arrive in this random area through a
clock tower

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I agree! But a lot of people are fascinated by the game and want to see the content, even if they aren't very good at it. A lot of my friends struggled with the game but still wanted to see where it was going--and they ended up loving the challenge! But they also didn't wanna do it again.

I'm not saying dumb it down, I'm just saying why I think people that aren't super good at the game might wanna see the content immediately. Especially since some of the magic in these games is being part of the discovery zeitgeist.

I also think it's the fact that there were early reports that the DLC was super hard on NG+ as opposed to just NG.

I guess I just view the DLC as one more optional area that isn't required to get an ending. There are a good few of those in the existing Bloodborne, but none of them are available by default from the stones in Hunter's Dream.

I wouldn't be angry if FROM treated it more or less like a Chalice Dungeon, but I just take issue with the argument "I paid $20 for this, so I deserve access to it right now!"

Does anybody else here hate the Forbidden Woods? I dread the Forbidden woods. When I found out about the skip I was overjoyed. I'm on NG+++ and still have trouble getting to the college. I have basically zero sense of direction in that area.

Like, it's good because of how bad it makes me feel and how much is stresses me out. But it's bad because I don't enjoy it at all. I'm very glad there are no other areas like the Forbidden Woods, with its one lantern and utter lack of discernible landmarks. Gag me with a spoon.

Akara

Banned
Does anybody else here hate the Forbidden Woods? I dread the Forbidden woods. When I found out about the skip I was overjoyed. I'm on NG+++ and still have trouble getting to the college. I have basically zero sense of direction in that area.

Like, it's good because of how bad it makes me feel and how much is stresses me out. But it's bad because I don't enjoy it at all. I'm very glad there are no other areas like the Forbidden Woods, with its one lantern and utter lack of discernible landmarks. Gag me with a spoon.

Oh god getting lost in there, I felt like little red riding hood without her grandma or even wolf to tell me where to go.

myco666

First boss against Bowblade NG+. Couldn't really get down when to shoot with the bow so went mostly with melee. I am starting to feel the moveset but I seriously need to up my Skill.

God DS2 handled upgrade material so much better, especially in its DLC.

Because it dropped materials like candy? The reason for that is that there are insane amount of weapons especially when compared to BB. In BB you really have to decide what you want to upgrade.

ISee

I actually loved FH. So spooky what happened to all the denizens and how you managed to just arrive in this random area through a
clock tower

I am just complaining about the level design. It was good story wise.

UGH THOSE FUCKING SHARKSSSSS- I need my
Raykyo

Yeah those two... I had more trouble with them then with the LF Boss fight. But it's worth it, the weapon is awesome.

If you're simply trying to get through Forbidden Woods, it's an easy map. Always head downhill to get to the boss, and hang a left behind the dog cages to get to Iosefka. That's all you need to know.

However, if you want to explore every nook and cranny, I do agree that it is very creepy and confusing. That's kinda the point though.

zma1013

I just don't understand why not a single enemy drops blood rock even if the drop rate is ,1%

Really they should just be purchase able after you beat the game once for some absurd price. Then it would give me something to do with all these souls I'm throwing away and I could upgrade all the weapons.

myco666

I love for the reasons you hate it. It is only video game forest where I have actually been lost. Now I can easily navigate through it and get everything I need from there. It is really great area.

I just don't understand why not a single enemy drops blood rock even if the drop rate is ,1%
Bosses do. Depth 5, Level 3 bosses in Root chalices have a certain % chance of dropping a Rock, and that doesn't include the Rocks found in a treasure chest in each of the Dept 5 chalices (1 per "type" even if you spin up a new chalice).

In fact, I wonder if it was intentionally done this that way to encourage co-op and Chalice grinding. One can get Rocks fairly regularly by helping others beat their Depth 5, Level 3 bosses, maybe about once every 4 or 5 boss fights. Not saying that's an "easy" way to farm but there's a finite number of Rocks that one needs.

Akara

Banned
Bosses do. Depth 5, Level 3 bosses in Root chalices have a certain % chance of dropping a Rock, and that doesn't include the Rocks found in a treasure chest in each of the Dept 5 chalices (1 per "type" even if you spin up a new chalice).

In fact, I wonder if it was intentionally done this that way to encourage co-op and Chalice grinding. One can get Rocks fairly regularly by helping others beat their Depth 5, Level 3 bosses, maybe about once every 4 or 5 boss fights. Not saying that's an "easy" way to farm but there's a finite number of Rocks that one needs.

I get rocks often from farming, maybe I'm just lucky, lol

Huh. I really loved the third area. I was just talking to a friend of mine about how it puts most of vanilla Bloodborne to shame.

In fact, after the second and third parts of the DLC, a lot of Bloodborne feels indistinct and tedious. It's still one of my favorite games ever, it's a game I'm proud to have Platinumed and I keep replaying Bloodborne instead of moving on to a new game, but that just goes to show you how much more I loved the DLC maps.

The third area is my favorite place in the whole game. I wish you could go into more of the buildings, but I love the map layout and how it circles back on itself and allows you to come back up through the well. I love how it goes deep underground and I love all the unique monsters and enemies. I love
Brador's invasions
and the
skittering beast that jumps down into the circle of explosives. Because you KNOW it's a trap. You KNOW that those explosives are probably going to explode as soon as you get down there. But you've also been trained to chase skittering beasts and kill them quickly. You know that it's probably going to have something good. At least some blood chunks. And if you don't come after it NOW, you'll have to come find it again later. So even though you know it's a dangerous trap, you chase it down into the hole and risk the explosion to kill it. Because skittering beasts create a sense of urgency, and you have to decide in a second whether to let it go or risk danger to get its loot.

I love everything about the final area. Other than the pretty straight pathway in the beginning, and all the closed doors, it's my favorite part of the whole Bloodborne experience.

That's interesting you like it so much. Outside of the atmosphere I'd say it's my least favorite full area in all of Bloodborne (not really counting Byrgenworth and Lecture Hall). It has some nice gameplay ideas like the well placed skitterer, but there are heaps of those explosives everywhere. Brador's invasions would have been okay if A) you didn't reappear in places you've already killed him, and B) he didn't chug Lead Elixer or whatever that is so you don't get any satisfying hit feedback making it a dull fight unless you bum rush him. The fish enemies themselves were pretty solid on their own, easy but have a massive grab attack. I just think their placement in the level is really haphazard. Most enemy encounters have a specific "design" you can sort of tell what they are trying to get across, but most of the encounters in the Hamlet were just like "okay here is a randomly placed mob". The casters are really obnoxious though and the giant shark enemies suck, since they're always placed near other enemies and casters, or in the case of the well...LOL.

However, if you want to explore every nook and cranny, I do agree that it is very creepy and confusing. That's kinda the point though.

Is there any other way to play?

I remember, in my first playthrough, I was NOT doing well at all. I was accustomed to there being multiple lanterns in an area and pretty much completed maps on a lantern to lantern basis. Every time I found a new one, or found a shortcut that spat me back at an old one, I would head back to the Dream and refresh my supplies and cash my echoes.

I missed BOTH shortcuts in the Forbidden Woods and it just kept going and going. Branching paths, dead ends, camouflaged enemies, and just deadly creatures in general.

I got all the way to the Shadows of Yharnam without ever going back to the dream, and I was only, like, level 45. I was constantly working with 0 blood vials and 0 bullets. Finding a supply was like a gift from God. And I just kept looking for that next lantern, or shortcut, or SOMETHING, and it never came. I walked into the Shadows of Yharnam and was like "just great."

I ended up using a Bold Hunter's Mark to escape, because I was carrying like seven levels with of echoes. Then I had to do it all again. But this time, I had picked up all the items, so I couldn't look for glowing white pick-ups to lead me the right direction.

Man. Keeps me up at night. I actually didn't find the Beast Roar until NG++ and didn't even realize I was missing it.

Jombie

Also, has anyone been parried by
Lady Maria
and the suffered a visceral attack?

Is...so...beautiful.

Yep. I was owning her on my first try and had her down to a couple of hits when she parried and riposted me out of nowhere, one-shotting me. I was pissed and elated all at once.

Dahbomb

Forbidden Forest is master class in level design.

Every single source of light or obtainable is strategically placed which allows you to navigate the area despite it being an area where everything looks so similar (like a real forest). The latter area is designed to be easily navigated if you just follow the lights and keep descending. On the otherhand it's hard to get every item in it. The area also connects back to the start of the game. The shortcut design is also excellen, you can go from start to end using two elevators pretty quickly despite it being the largest area in the game.

First time I went through Forbidden Forest I couldn't find the short cuts and was running around in the snake area with 100k echoes. Never have I felt that tense in my life and never have I been so relieved finding he shortcut to the lamppost.

Terrified

Um, the hunters in the standard game call you "cursed beast" too...

So... just like Central Yharnam?

I don't recall the hunters doing it - only the townspeople (I know they're technically hunters according to the supposed back story). Unless that just never happened during my playthrough.

Yep - exactly like Central Yharnam, which was my point - the opening part of the DLC, visually and in terms of setup, is a metaphor for the entire setup of the game. Personal opinion, obviously, so I'm absolutely prepared for someone to come along and say "well that's absolute shite", but it works for me.

Is there any other way to play?

I remember, in my first playthrough, I was NOT doing well at all. I was accustomed to there being multiple lanterns in an area and pretty much completed maps on a lantern to lantern basis. Every time I found a new one, or found a shortcut that spat me back at an old one, I would head back to the Dream and refresh my supplies and cash my echoes.

I missed BOTH shortcuts in the Forbidden Woods and it just kept going and going. Branching paths, dead ends, camouflaged enemies, and just deadly creatures in general.

I got all the way to the Shadows of Yharnam without ever going back to the dream, and I was only, like, level 45. I was constantly working with 0 blood vials and 0 bullets. Finding a supply was like a gift from God. And I just kept looking for that next lantern, or shortcut, or SOMETHING, and it never came. I walked into the Shadows of Yharnam and was like "just great."

I ended up using a Bold Hunter's Mark to escape, because I was carrying like seven levels with of echoes. Then I had to do it all again. But this time, I had picked up all the items, so I couldn't look for glowing white pick-ups to lead me the right direction.

Man. Keeps me up at night. I actually didn't find the Beast Roar until NG++ and didn't even realize I was missing it.
Damn that sounds hella nerve-wracking. I didn't have as much of an issue with Forbidden Woods but I also didn't try to explore everything until I'd unlocked the shortcuts and beaten the boss. Then I went back and cleaned up.

Femto.

So I killed
Brador
after you unlock his cell. I was only able to get his head piece so I'm screwed on the rest of the set aren't I?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
First boss against Bowblade NG+. Couldn't really get down when to shoot with the bow so went mostly with melee. I am starting to feel the moveset but I seriously need to up my Skill.

Because it dropped materials like candy? The reason for that is that there are insane amount of weapons especially when compared to BB. In BB you really have to decide what you want to upgrade.

No because at a certain point in the game they knew you were either about to finish, do the dlcs or start PVPing, so they didnt make it super difficult to max your weapons and armor. You can easily get titanite in the base game and the very first DLC has an excellent area for farming dragon bone and twinklings. Granted Bloodborne did regress back to making respec impossible so you are right in that you are stuck with a very finite number of weapons unless you level yourself out of PVP range but that no excuse to make it so annoying to max your weapons. Dark Souls also had this problem with only three regular slabs available per playthrough and a horrendous drop rate on Darkwraiths but at least wraiths are relatively fun and quick to fight. Unlike speedruning to chalice bosses.

Forbidden Forest is master class in level design.

Every single source of light or obtainable is strategically placed which allows you to navigate the area despite it being an area where everything looks so similar (like a real forest). The latter area is designed to be easily navigated if you just follow the lights and keep descending. On the otherhand it's hard to get every item in it. The area also connects back to the start of the game. The shortcut design is also excellen, you can go from start to end using two elevators pretty quickly despite it being the largest area in the game.

First time I went through Forbidden Forest I couldn't find the short cuts and was running around in the snake area with 100k echoes. Never have I felt that tense in my life and never have I been so relieved finding he shortcut to the lamppost.
This and Cainhurst are my favorite areas.

Of course, you're missing best gameplay mechanics which is Dark Souls II; multiplayer works way better and character builds and options are unrivaled in Dark II. Only downside mechanics-wise was the dumb durability.

Man, I'm all for opinions, but what in Kos' name am I reading?

Firstly, let's clarify that breadth of build options, weapons, etc =/= gameplay mechanics. Bloodborne - and even DS, for that matter - could have one weapon and it'd still absolutely pants DS2 in the gameplay department. How you can go between the two and not think that DS2 has a myriad of fundamental control/feedback issues is beyond me.

- Wonky hitboxes
- Sporadic animations (the Heide Knights are flat-out insulting in this respect)
- Imprecise, floaty character movement
- The travesty that is AGL/ADP
- Cheap, "turntable" enemies
- Cheap "let me damage you in the first frame of my animation, bra" enemies

Don't get me wrong, DS2 is a very good game; PvP especially is great fun and works well within its own little AI-devoid bubble of omnipresent lag and funny hitboxes.

Saying that it's mechanically superior to Bloodborne, though? Justin Bieber - Baby ft. LUDACRIS. For a series that is largely lauded for its precise and satisfying input, feedback and animation, DS2 is comparably laughable.

To put it another way: Transpose The Witcher 3 or GTAV in DS2's place here and I'd find it only a little bit more preposterous. When you drop the ball on such an important catch, it's damn noticeable - even if you've comfortably won the game (my awful analogies are running away from me. Apologies).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Once you are at the lamp post, there should be a door way to your left. With 2 church dudes outside. Stay left/forward and follow that pathway. Should lead to old yharnam.
Hmmmm I thought I had explored that area thoroughly but I guess not, I'll try again later

RE: Forbidden Woods discussion

Navigating that area gave me the best non-boss encounter sense of accomplishment from the game. I never got lost, I pretty much went with my instincts to see if I could get around things and the answer was pretty much always yes. I figured out the trick to get to the boss
(follow the lights, not even the items, just the lanterns)
and before even unlocking the shortcuts I had the run from the first lantern down to about 2 minutes. Level design rules so hard in that area, so much miss-able stuff (in good and bad ways)

RE: DLC

Everything up to boss LM has been as high of quality as the base game. I've heard slightly mixed stuff on what's to come afterwards but The Old Hunters is essential for what I've played alone. The added weapon variety is just the icing on the cake (I'm loving the pizza cutter but at +7 it's yet to reach its final form)

Top Bottom