• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Dahbomb

DS2 is far superior to both Witcher 3 and GTAV in terms of mechanics. Come on now, the hyperbole around DS2 gets crazy sometimes.

Bloodborne is mechanically the best out of all games though. Best controls, movements, feedback, fluidity and animations. I always enjoyed the Souls games but Bloodborne made the game play incredibly fun and satisfying for me.

neoism

Does anybody else here hate the Forbidden Woods? I dread the Forbidden woods. When I found out about the skip I was overjoyed. I'm on NG+++ and still have trouble getting to the college. I have basically zero sense of direction in that area.

Like, it's good because of how bad it makes me feel and how much is stresses me out. But it's bad because I don't enjoy it at all. I'm very glad there are no other areas like the Forbidden Woods, with its one lantern and utter lack of discernible landmarks. Gag me with a spoon.

nah one of my fav areas... the first area in the game is my last fav..

Forbidden Forest is master class in level design.

Every single source of light or obtainable is strategically placed which allows you to navigate the area despite it being an area where everything looks so similar (like a real forest). The latter area is designed to be easily navigated if you just follow the lights and keep descending. On the otherhand it's hard to get every item in it. The area also connects back to the start of the game. The shortcut design is also excellen, you can go from start to end using two elevators pretty quickly despite it being the largest area in the game.

First time I went through Forbidden Forest I couldn't find the short cuts and was running around in the snake area with 100k echoes. Never have I felt that tense in my life and never have I been so relieved finding he shortcut to the lamppost.

Truth. It's the best area in the game. Excellent encounters, enemy progression, amazing shortcuts and secrets. It's got everything. Shadows are a good boss fight too, an agressive three man group that doesn't feel cheap thanks to their natural spacing due to their differing moveset and a piece of cover to break line of sight in the arena.

neoism

so guys is the bow fun? should i just kill that guy for the bow or do i not get his set or something... Is his quest worth?

Akara

Banned
so guys is the bow fun? should i just kill that guy for the bow or do i not get his set or something... Is his quest worth?

Apparently you might not have access to a key item if you kill him early but I'm not sure about that. Bow can do staggers when doing a charged shot from the back, some bosses are weak against bloodtinge so there's that also. Build it correctly and you can have a very damaging bow.

Truth. It's the best area in the game. Excellent encounters, enemy progression, amazing shortcuts and secrets. It's got everything. Shadows are a good boss fight too, an agressive three man group that doesn't feel cheap thanks to their natural spacing due to their differing moveset and a piece of cover to break line of sight in the arena.
Still one of my favorite boss fights and like a thousand times better than Rom afterwards. Even when you know what you're doing you can still be killed by them without it feeling cheap. I usually die to them if I'm using a weapon that just doesn't go with my play style. Fought them with and under powered Tonitrus and got wreckless and died in candle fire spray. It was funny and quite annoying, switched to the cane and came back and just wrecked them.

So Maria's armour turned out to be pretty useless yeah?
It's fashionable. That's all that really matters.

Gonna start a new character sometime this week and minmax for either the Rakuyo or Boom Hammer. Boom Hammer is obviously obtainable way way earlier so that sounds more doable but ugh Rakuyo is so cool.

Robot Pants

Apparently you might not have access to a key item if you kill him early but I'm not sure about that. Bow can do staggers when doing a charged shot from the back, some bosses are weak against bloodtinge so there's that also. Build it correctly and you can have a very damaging bow.
Nah the key item will just show up where is body would be in the lighthouse hut. I killed him right away for the bow and I regret nothing

Bebpo

Banned
RE: Forbidden Woods discussion

Navigating that area gave me the best non-boss encounter sense of accomplishment from the game. I never got lost, I pretty much went with my instincts to see if I could get around things and the answer was pretty much always yes. I figured out the trick to get to the boss
(follow the lights, not even the items, just the lanterns)
and before even unlocking the shortcuts I had the run from the first lantern down to about 2 minutes. Level design rules so hard in that area, so much miss-able stuff (in good and bad ways)

RE: DLC

Everything up to boss LM has been as high of quality as the base game. I've heard slightly mixed stuff on what's to come afterwards but The Old Hunters is essential for what I've played alone. The added weapon variety is just the icing on the cake (I'm loving the pizza cutter but at +7 it's yet to reach its final form)

I agree with you (especially about the shortcuts being amazingly well designed in how it all interconnects) but I still hate Forbidden Woods because I get lost easily in it. On NG+ I just speedran through that area and never looked back. Not a fan of sewers or forests...nope, nope, nope.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Still stuck getting the Rakuyo...I can't even get the first fucker down to half health. Is there a super lazy exploit out yet? I also tried attacking from up top via a gun on the ledge but it doesn't seem to reach him... :'(

neoism

fuuu its a BT weap lol what about sklll im 50 right now but only 20 BT..😑

zma1013

So I killed
Brador
after you unlock his cell. I was only able to get his head piece so I'm screwed on the rest of the set aren't I?

You can still get his stuff.
you just gotta look around in the 3rd area where he would normally spawn and his other items are there. There are 3 places he spawns I think.

Still stuck getting the Rakuyo...I can't even get the first fucker down to half health. Is there a super lazy exploit out yet? I also tried attacking from up top via a gun on the ledge but it doesn't seem to reach him... :'(
Interrupt and visceral. When it does it's dive attack, dodge diagonally forward and right.

I was also upset that Maria's set didn't give better stats. Like, it looks so good, but its stats aren't even average. Like the Cainhurst Set, it sacrifices virtually every stat for sky-high blood defense.

Which is probably the least-useful stat to actually cover with your defense.

The best statted set is the Harrowed Set, which looks... unique. Some people could like it, but I hate it. I will never wear attire with bare feet.

I love her hat though. I wear it with my min-maxed fashion set. I get great coverage in every stat (220 or higher). I get to look cool without my clothes clipping through my weapon either.

Some people ignore stats all together and just wear what they like. I wish I could do that.

I was also upset that Maria's set didn't give better stats. Like, it looks so good, but its stats aren't even average. Like the Cainhurst Set, it sacrifices virtually every stat for sky-high blood defense.

Which is probably the least-useful stat to actually cover with your defense.

The best statted set is the Harrowed Set, which looks... unique. Some people could like it, but I hate it. I will never wear attire with bare feet.

I love her hat though. I wear it with my min-maxed fashion set. I get great coverage in every stat (220 or higher). I get to look cool without my clothes clipping through my weapon either.

Some people ignore stats all together and just wear what they like. I wish I could do that.
This post sums up the plight of Fashion Souls, at least you don't have to worry about equip burden and fast rolling.

Doomsayer

Struggling to get the first boss down below 2/3 or so. Feels unrelenting.

So far this has been the hardest boss of the DLC. I died at least 15 times during this fight.

LF I got down without dying. LM I died... twice? I think.

We'll see what OoK and LtFV have to offer soon enough though.

Is there a GAF BB community? If so, add me: Doomsayer52

Akara

Banned
This post sums up the plight of Fashion Souls, at least you don't have to worry about equip burden and fast rolling.

I just equip two runes that increase my damage reduction to a total of 9%ish and I get around 270 defense with Church dress, top, and harrowed gloves bwahahhaa #fashionborne4ever

Dahbomb

I think the projectiles that OoK tosses are blood damage. If you can avoid his other attacks then you don't have to worry about getting one shotted by his projectile flurry attack.

I just equip two runes that increase my damage reduction to a total of 9%ish and I get around 270 defense with Church dress, top, and harrowed gloves bwahahhaa #fashionborne4ever
I usually always have, Clawmark and Blood Rapture on my character usually with either one of those runes or poison resist rune, depends on if I remember to actually change my runes around and what area I'm in.

One night, I had like three hours to play, and was right at the Abhorrent Beast in the Loran chalice. I thought I was going to kill the beast and move on to the next dungeon with my time.

Instead, I stood in the Hunter's Dream for three hours matching and comparing stats on every piece of armor. I stores everything I would never wear, either because it was hideous or had bad stats, and then started building outfits starting with the chest piece.

The extra layer of difficulty is that I use LHB. So anything with a cape or a shawl is either a no-go or a test of my frustration.

When I could stand it, I wore:

1. Black Church Hat
2. Executioner Garb
3. Charred Hunter Gloves
4. Charred Hunter Trousers.

The charred trousers and gloves looked really cool because of their cuffs that give the outfit symmetry. They were also both large enough to balance out the bulky Executioner Garb.

I had another variation that swapped out the hat, pants, and gloves for the (winged) Hunter Hat, Black Church Dress, and Gascoigne's Gloves. Maybe they were the Yahar'Gul Gloves. But it ended up giving the exact same stats and still looked cool in a tanky sort of way.

The Black Church Hat, at first, I thought looked really weird. But it gave the best stats to "round out" the outfit. It ended up really growing on me. It has a bit of a Wild West warrior priest look to it. If those actually existed.

But, eventually, I couldn't stand it anymore. LHB constantly clipping through my shawl was driving me nuts. So I started over again.

I switched to the:

1. (Winged) Hunter Hat
2. Black Church Garb
3. Tomb Prospector Trousers
4. Gascoigne's Gloves

This gave me almost as good stats (with a higher stat total) in favor of some more points in the less-common defenses, like Arcane and Blood. It worked equally well and looked so, so, so much cooler.

After the DLC, I wear:

1. Hunter Maria Hat
2. Black Church Garb
3. Tomb Prospector Trousers
4. Constable Gloves

I got two pieces of fashion out of it. And I like them both better. Especially the gloves. So I guess I shouldn't complain, since I got a little stat boost and I appreciate the look much more.

Still, there are lots of awesome looking sets in the DLC. But none of them are any good.

Does anybody else here hate the Forbidden Woods? I dread the Forbidden woods. When I found out about the skip I was overjoyed. I'm on NG+++ and still have trouble getting to the college. I have basically zero sense of direction in that area.

Like, it's good because of how bad it makes me feel and how much is stresses me out. But it's bad because I don't enjoy it at all. I'm very glad there are no other areas like the Forbidden Woods, with its one lantern and utter lack of discernible landmarks. Gag me with a spoon.

I hate the area too. But the completionist in me has to always defeat all enemies in the area (except in that cave) despite playing on a new game plus. It is usually the worst part of a replay. When I first played it, I actually rushed through the level (beyond the village) because I was tired of if on my first playthrough which led me to skip several secrets. The trail of snakes is awful.

MilkBeard

Even with patch applied, the servers are still down. App version is now 8 instead of 7. Hard to say what the change is. It is hard to say how big the patch is. It took about 5 or 6 minutes. It said file size was 9.3 gigs, but im sure that also includes the giant update paatch 1.07 as per how the OS labels updates.

CHC

WHOA my lord Beast Cutter is out of fucking control. I bumped it up to +10 with my 40 Strength / 40 Skill.... I can't even.

Just absolutely owned Shadows of Yharnam, followed immediately by Rom, on NG+. Like it wasn't even fair for them I gotta be honest.

So Maria's armour turned out to be pretty useless yeah? As soon as I equipped the Bone Ash set, Laurence was trivial.

Honestly didn't even know that people looked at stats. The spread between armor ratings is so much narrower than in Dark Souls that it's pretty much negligible if you're into the look.

So uh, anyone else using Chikage here? I have no clue why, but somehow the transformed mode now does less damage than the regular one handed mode? Normally I'd get quite a damage bump, but now it seems to be slightly less than the regular mode. Anyone else experience this before? I'm using all 27% dmg gems, was just testing on the Yharnam villagers. Even the holy sword which I only got at +8 with some not too good nourishing gems is doing more damage that this. It's driving me crazy, the transformed chikage used to at least add like, what, 100 damage or so per normal swing?

Edit: Tested it now on the lecture building students. It adds a whopping 3 damage per swing. Wtf is this shit.

So uh, anyone else using Chikage here? I have no clue why, but somehow the transformed mode now does less damage than the regular one handed mode? Normally I'd get quite a damage bump, but now it seems to be slightly less than the regular mode. Anyone else experience this before? I'm using all 27% dmg gems, was just testing on the Yharnam villagers. Even the holy sword which I only got at +8 with some not too good nourishing gems is doing more damage that this. It's driving me crazy, the transformed chikage used to at least add like, what, 100 damage or so per normal swing?

What are your stats? The transformed mode will only outdamage the regular mode if your bloodtinge is high enough.

Edit: Tested it now on the lecture building students. It adds a whopping 3 damage per swing. Wtf is this shit.
What are your stats? You should put bloodtinge gems on there.

Honestly didn't even know that people looked at stats. The spread between armor ratings is so much narrower than in Dark Souls that it's pretty much negligible if you're into the look.

I think it's a perceptual thing more than anything else. Also, not knowing exactly how much armor matters.

Souls veterans have had a lot of experience with armor, because armor was much more important in the Souls games. It directly impacted how you played the game.

Bloodborne newcomers (like myself) don't have that context. Attire's function is identical to how it is in most RPGs: it provides defensive stats. Visible, calculatable benefits. Naturally, people like me gravitate towards attire with stats that will protect us the best. Especially in a game as unforgiving as Bloodborne (at least the first time you play).

Then, people say that armor doesn't matter. Your Vitality is the most important defensive stat and armor won't make a difference between getting one shot or two shot. But in my experience, that hasn't been true. I remember putting Henryk's set on for Darkbeast Paarl after failing over and over and over and then beating the beast on my first try.

When I first encountered a Keeper of the Old Lord, I was getting wasted by her fire attacks. So I switched to the Charred Hunter Set. I was able to beat her after just a few tries.

In my first NG, I kept getting obliterated by all the riflemen in the graveyard on the way to Hemwick Charnel Lane. I would be focused on a dog, or a summoned enemy, and get wrecked by three absolutely deadly rifleshots that put me right out of my misery.

Desperate, I switched my armor to whatever gave me the best blood defense. I don't remember what it was at that time. But the reduction I received from the rifle damage was more than enough to clear the graveyard.

And the benefit of frenzy and poison resistance is very apparent. Unless you want to chug sedatives, you better be wearing a set with high frenzy resistance against Winter Lanterns. Navigating the Nightmare Frontier with low poison resistance will consume your Blood Vials so quickly.

Maybe the different between a 90 in a stat and 10 in a stat doesn't matter. But what about 20? Or 30? What if it's the difference between being kept alive and dying? What if it's the difference of surviving poisoning or dying from it? All you need is an invisible sliver of health to be able to heal back to full strength. Wouldn't you want to wear the set that allows you that luxury?

But it's true: if you're good enough at the game, it doesn't matter what you wear. You'll probably die in all the same situations no matter what you have on.

But I definitely feel safer in a set I picked to protect me than a set I picked for its appearances. And that impacts my confidence.

Top Bottom