• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

TitusTroy

here's me defeating OoK solo...I think his 2nd stage is actually a bit easier then the 1st stage as he leaves himself open more and his attacks can be telegraphed easier...but with him some luck is necessary as well...parrying actually works pretty well but when you miss the parry it leaves you open to free attacks so I devised my own strategy of moving forward into his attacks as much as possible (especially the jump attack he does)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-Le86dbg0

Essay

My first run in with the
Church Pick
hunter just gave me a heck of a fright. Was not prepared for that scenario. I got lucky as sin in what turned into a parry-or-die situation there.

konjak

There was one item I couldn't figure out how to get though. When you're climbing up the ladder from the 2nd Floor Patient Room, you can see an item on a ledge accessed from the floor between the one you're climbing up from and the one you're climbing to. How do I get that?

If it's the one I think (not in the main hall), I believe the door is covered by breakable things. Or, you can jump there from the top of the ladder.

So, what's the consensus on the best weapon, speaking purely on how much damage it can put out before depleting a stamina bar?

In addition to Fireworker's post, I'll add that damage per stamina is generally less important than damage per second (damage per swing divided by swing speed).

This is because situations where you actually have an opportunity to dump an entire stamina bar into a single enemy are relatively rare. It's much more common to have a limited opening to get some hits off before you have to dodge. In those situations it's more important that you do as much damage as possible during that limited window, since you'll regenerate your stamina quickly as soon as you're not swinging.

Now, there are situations where damage per stamina is most important: specifically, when you're stunlocking humanoid enemies with a quick weapon. In these cases your ability to stunlock lasts as long as your stamina bar, and so damage per stamina is the governing consideration.

And there are also situations where damage per second is less important than damage per swing - particularly aggressive bosses, for instance, who will only ever give you the opportunity to get off one or two attacks at a time. Similarly, certain large enemies can only be reliably staggered by hits from slow, heavy weapons, and a weapon that can stunlock an enemy is always going to be a better choice even if it's doing less damage per second.

Finally, some weapons are better at some levels of stat investment than others. A specialized weapon like the Reiterpallasch looks much better compared to other weapons at 40 points of stat investment than it does at at 80 points of stat investment, and a quality weapon like Ludwig's looks much better at 80 points of stat investment than it does at 40.

Having said all that, there is actually an answer to your question. The weapon that does the most damage per second at most common levels of stat investment is the blood-form Chikage in a bloodtinge build. This weapon is balanced by the fact that it slowly drains your health, doesn't have much of a moveset, and scales with different stats in its two forms.

Beyond the Chikage it's pretty tough to single out any particular weapon as "doing more damage" than any others, though. They all have their situational uses.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Don't worry I have done a lot worse... Remember in Demon's Souls how you can suck someone's soul level out? Well... I invaded someone who went AFK, lets say they lost some levels.

Stockpile Thomas exists to defend against such transgressions.

Oh but there is. Its just hidden down in the depths of the dreaded chalice Dungeons. In BB you can make a red tearstone build, you can have builds with weapons that deal +75% damage on charge attacks, slow poison, rapid poison. You can make a build that focuses on not getting hit while having gems that boost your attacks potential by 30% when at full health. Want to use the wheel but prefer the two handed mode? Put Flat Arcane gems on it to boost the multi-hit attacks. Or do you prefer the one hand mode? Throw Blunt gems/Physical gems on it.

Imo theres just as many customization options in BB as the souls games, if not more. The only difference is its hidden in the Chalice Dungeons which I admit does suck. It gives the illusion that the variety isnt there when it is, just a grind to reach. Having said that I have like 5 different builds that specialize in different things and they all required me to go into Chalices to get what I needed.
This is a great write-up on Chalices. I know they're not everyone's favorite and plenty of people hate them, but I personally loved them and frequently spin up new Roots to go through.

You're right about the gems, too. If you only rely on gems found in the "main" game you'll get the impression that gems are minor boosts and nothing more. The DLC does add some decent gems you can find in "normal" levels (the sort you'd farm from Depth 4-5 mobs, nothing special) to show the player what gems can do, but overall the game did a poor job of explaining the amount of flexibility the gem system offers.

I think the turning point -- for me -- was when I started trying to gem for certain elements/statuses (Bolt, poison, etc). It felt very similar to Souls. Gonna make a "Lightning Greataxe" (like in DS) just for nostalgic funsies. Main difference being that I could switch out those gems for something else entirely instead of having to farm another copy of the weapon and upgrade it with a different element.

The lack of hyper armor and awful hitbox makes the kirkhammer unusable for me, despite it being my most anticipated weapon to use pre-release.
I'll never understand this sentiment. "Unusable"? Really? Seems like a skill issue, not a flaw of the weapon. Sorry that it doesn't have crazy hyper-armor and huge sweeping attacks.... not every weapon is as good as others in certain situations.

Cool thx. I was running by him and my son was layin next to me he jumped on me playing around made me tap R1 and bam Simon aggroed lol

At least your son got you the bow early then, so there's that at least :p

About to sample the shit on my level 126 NG+ character Skill/Bloodtinge build. +10 Chikage hold me!!

You can do it. No matter your level, all will melt before the glorious nippon steel that was folded over 1000 times.

Imru’ al-Qays;187499766 said:
Having said all that, there is actually an answer to your question. The weapon that does the most damage per second at most common levels of stat investment is the blood-form Chikage in a bloodtinge build. This weapon is balanced by the fact that it slowly drains your health, doesn't have much of a moveset, and scales with different stats in its two forms.

Beyond the Chikage it's pretty tough to single out any particular weapon as "doing more damage" than any others, though. They all have their situational uses.
The classic "burst DMG vs DPS" argument. An ongoing debate in another one of my favorite games, Monster Hunter... :p

PATCH NOTES:

-Lowered damage of Whirligig Saw
-Any new Chalice Dungeons now scale with New Game playthrough

What

What

I can understand the first, but the Chalice dungeon change? What. What.
Wow at the Chalice dungeon change....

Um, if it scales, I guess higher likelihood for better equipment? Seems like people are 100% screwed for Defiled though. Glad I've already spun up the final non-root chalice
for the Yarnham Queen trophy
if it only applies to new Chalices...

Cruxist

PATCH NOTES:

What

What

Um. What? Does this only go for "new" chalices placed after the patch? I'm going for platinum finally but it's on my ng+ character because I thought chalices didn't scale...

PATCH NOTES:

What

What

Haha that Whirligig was asking for it. I wonder if they nerfed its overall damage or just the L2.

You can do it. No matter your level, all will melt before the glorious nippon steel that was folded over 1000 times.
The hunter guys aren't too bad actually. Just got fucked by the second boom hammer guy cause I just couldn't get the parry timing right.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'll never understand this sentiment. "Unusable"? Really? Seems like a skill issue, not a flaw of the weapon. Sorry that it doesn't have crazy hyper-armor and huge sweeping attacks.... not every weapon is as good as others in certain situations.

It's not that "it" doesn't have "crazy hyper armor" its that it has none and that barely any moves in the game do. This has been a problem since post-demon's souls when they took away all possible armor attached to weapons and started making the AI react to whatever button you pressed as to beat your move or trade whenever possible.

I hated poise in dark souls 1 but at least that let you take hits. Sorry but charging a multi-second Burial Blade move then getting knocked out of it because a spider flicked its leg at me is and will always be stupid.

And the unsuitability of the Kirkhammer is semi-hyperbole, but relates more to the awful "sweet spot" hit box it has. Most weapons are lacking in armor but the Kirkhammer hitbox is the biggest offender of missed damage.

Akara

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;187500936 said:
Haha that Whirligig was asking for it. I wonder if they nerfed its overall damage or just the L2.

It's all fake dood, started on gamefaq forums and spread LOL

Akara

Banned
Fashionborne
12314554_882562661812253_4397818553591713822_o.jpg
They call me the female magician in the game.

#itried

Jombie

They just managed to make the dungeons worse than they already are. I don't understand them nerfing the whirligig - I played with it on NG and it's far from OP. Disappointing.

*glad it's apparently bs.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They just managed to make the dungeons worse than they already are. I don't understand them nerfing the whirligig - I played with it on NG and it's far from OP. Disappointing.

It's fake.

Seriously I'd be surprised if there was a change minus the free DLC glitch.

So this patch is another 9.3 gigs? Did I see that right? The hell did they put in there, jeez.

Edit: Never mind, it's 150 mb, I see they add on top of other patches so that's why it seemed so large.

As someone who loves the Kirkhammer I will say that the weapon is very hard to use. Especially in PVP.

-Weapon sweetspot is on the handle of the Hammer and not the head so to get full damage you need to be right in someones grill and BBs pvp being as fast as it is makes that difficult. I guess they tried to remedy this by giving it a fairly large AOE splash but the stamina consumption, attack speed, and damage output for it arent great.

-It has less Hyper Armor than the Wheel when it should have just as much, maybe more seeing as how the weapon swings in a vertical arc and is easier to predict.

-This is something I never even realized until a few weeks ago. The Sword form of the Hammer is noticeably shorter than Ludwig's Holy Blade's straight sword form. So on top of all that other stuff you have even less range.

Really to use it effectively you have to be great at spacing/timing. And I mean GREAT or youll get outranged and knocked out of attacks all the time.

Having said all that its a very satisfying weapon to master. When you properly string together the transform attacks nothing feels better in the game.

Sigma722

I don't think I'm even going to be proud once I beat
Laurence
. Such a bs not fun fight, with a tedious re-entry process.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Real
desired
Patch Notes

-Chalice Dungeon progress and materials transfer between characters

zma1013

As someone who loves the Kirkhammer I will say that the weapon is very hard to use. Especially in PVP.

-Weapon sweetspot is on the handle of the Hammer and not the head so to get full damage you need to be right in someones grill and BBs pvp being as fast as it is makes that difficult. I guess they tried to remedy this by giving it a fairly large AOE splash but the stamina consumption, attack speed, and damage output for it arent great.

-It has less Hyper Armor than the Wheel when it should have just as much, maybe more seeing as how the weapon swings in a vertical arc and is easier to predict.

-This is something I never even realized until a few weeks ago. The Sword form of the Hammer is noticeably shorter than Ludwig's Holy Blade's straight sword form. So on top of all that other stuff you have even less range.

Really to use it effectively you have to be great at spacing/timing. And I mean GREAT or youll get outranged and knocked out of attacks all the time.

Having said all that its a very satisfying weapon to master. When you properly string together the transform attacks nothing feels better in the game.

I've Platinumed the game with the Kirkhammer but I've never even thought about trying to use the actual hammer part in PVP. I always just used the 1 handed short sword mode and it was fine. It's fast and quick to stunlock people and kill them all the same. The key secret though of the hammer mode is that it's got the secret special attack you can chain directly after an R2 charge attack that most people won't expect. So basically you purposely whiff with that big attack, they move in to punish you, and surprise, roundhouse hammer to the face. Still though, I just use the sword part for PVP as I don't think I could get good enough to do it with the hammer.

Top Bottom