• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

50 skill, 50 bloodtinge. I originally made that build for this weapon.

That's odd then. Is your strength also at 50? I guess the combined E and B ratings of strength and skill could close in on the blood damage if you are very highly leveled...

Edit: What are the Chikage's damage ratings in the weapon stats screen?

I think it's a perceptual thing more than anything else. Also, not knowing exactly how much armor matters.

Souls veterans have had a lot of experience with armor, because armor was much more important in the Souls games. It directly impacted how you played the game.

Bloodborne newcomers (like myself) don't have that context. Attire's function is identical to how it is in most RPGs: it provides defensive stats. Visible, calculatable benefits. Naturally, people like me gravitate towards attire with stats that will protect us the best. Especially in a game as unforgiving as Bloodborne (at least the first time you play).
I
Then, people say that armor doesn't matter. Your Vitality is the most important defensive stat and armor won't make a difference between getting one shot or two shot. But in my experience, that hasn't been true. I remember putting Henryk's set on for Darkbeast Paarl after failing over and over and over and then beating the beast on my first try.

When I first encountered a Keeper of the Old Lord, I was getting wasted by her fire attacks. So I switched to the Charred Hunter Set. I was able to beat her after just a few tries.

In my first NG, I kept getting obliterated by all the riflemen in the graveyard on the way to Hemwick Charnel Lane. I would be focused on a dog, or a summoned enemy, and get wrecked by three absolutely deadly rifleshots that put me right out of my misery.

Desperate, I switched my armor to whatever gave me the best blood defense. I don't remember what it was at that time. But the reduction I received from the rifle damage was more than enough to clear the graveyard.

And the benefit of frenzy and poison resistance is very apparent. Unless you want to chug sedatives, you better be wearing a set with high frenzy resistance against Winter Lanterns. Navigating the Nightmare Frontier with low poison resistance will consume your Blood Vials so quickly.

Maybe the different between a 90 in a stat and 10 in a stat doesn't matter. But what about 20? Or 30? What if it's the difference between being kept alive and dying? What if it's the difference of surviving poisoning or dying from it? All you need is an invisible sliver of health to be able to heal back to full strength. Wouldn't you want to wear the set that allows you that luxury?

But it's true: if you're good enough at the game, it doesn't matter what you wear. You'll probably die in all the same situations no matter what you have on.

But I definitely feel safer in a set I picked to protect me than a set I picked for its appearances. And that impacts my confidence.

This is true. Until you get the +100 all resist rune that is. I use that plus a 7% physical defense and fashion borne to my hearts content

MilkBeard

As for armor, all of the sets have varying degrees of protection with no clear advantage. The biggest thing is looking at what type of damage protection you need and finding the equipment that leans towards that stat. For example, the Ashen Hunter ser protects well against frenzy. The standard hunter set has pretty good overall protection. The bone ash armor is good against lightning. So on and so forth. It may not make a huge difference but it means the difference between getting one shotted and not.

As for armor, all of the sets have varying degrees of protection with no clear advantage. The biggest thing is looking at what type of damage protection you meed and dinding the equipment that leans towars that stat. For example, the Ashen Hunter ser protects well against frenzy. The standard hunter set has pretty good overall protection. The bone ash armor is good against lightning. So on and so forth.

yeah, slapping on a "frenzy resist" set when running into a bunch of winter lanterns makes a WORLD of difference.

This is true. Until you get the +100 all resist rune that is. I use that plus a 7% physical defense and fashion borne to my hearts content

I use LHB, so I have to wear stamina runes. Well, I don't have to, but it makes a really big difference.

That said, I do usually wear the resistance runes. But in NG, you can't lean on those, because you don't even have them for much of the game.

I rely on the +200 Frenzy rune because the one concession I allow my set is low frenzy resistance, because the instances are so isolated.

What's the deal with my weapon degrading in the DLC so quickly. Bloodborne channeling System Shock 2? I am regularly getting 'weapon at risk' and 'weapon broken'... It never happened to me in the main game. It's cheap to fix, but wtf m8.

Edit: circus carney pcp bong... Just noticed I've got a gem equipped that increases degradation by 51.8%. Problem solved - though that gem does amp up my Ludwig Blade to Beast mode..............

What's the deal with my weapon degrading in the DLC so quickly. Bloodborne channeling System Shock 2? I am regularly getting 'weapon at risk' and 'weapon broken'... It never happened to me in the main game. It's cheap to fix, but wtf m8.

Are you in the third area?

"Slime" and "rock" enemies (not real terms) rapidly degrade weapons.

What about the ones that only raise blood?

Those require a Bloodgem imprint. That would raise the AR from 726 currently to 757. Which I don't consider worth levelling up a Lost Chikage for.

With Bloodtinge radials you can get to 809 AR from what I see here. But remember that this puts the 1h version in the dumpster as well as that you get incredibly weak viscerals. So I don't think that's worth it personally.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, what's the consensus on the best weapon, speaking purely on how much damage it can put out before depleting a stamina bar?

So, what's the consensus on the best weapon, speaking purely on how much damage it can put out before depleting a stamina bar?

This is a difficult question to answer. But speaking strictly PVE...

Damage per stamina bar? Probably Blades of Mercy. But it relies on you to combo those moves out, meaning lots of inputs, and it's not effective at all against multiple enemies. It also can't be buffed with elemental paper and has very short reach. Still, if you successfully unload a whole stamina bar against a boss, you'll do tons of damage.

When it comes to balancing damage and the actual cost of stamina, Ludwig's Holy Blade is going to two or three hit every common enemy in the game and stun them in the process. All of its attacks combo into each other in 2H mode and 1H mode is fast, with longer than average reach, and a high damage output. You don't have to worry about chaining multiple attacks together and can very easily take on multiple enemies at once. So you might take out more enemies with your swings than the BoM. LHB can also be buffed with paper and the phantasm shell to exploit enemy weaknesses.

The Saw Cleaver is a really popular weapon. It has short to middle range options, so you can still possibly hit multiple enemies, and gets a 20% damage boost against beasts. Its stamina consumption is extremely low, while damage output per swing is much lower than something like LHB, you can do more damage with your stamina bar.

But, again, this is a really hard question to answer. It has much more to do with what you prefer than what does more damage.

Do you want fewer hits to do more damage in short bursts? Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Do you want more hits to do more damage in longer bursts? Saw Cleaver or BoM.

But you have other options, like the Chikage, but it just comes at the expense of your health while taking advantage of its full power.

This is a difficult question to answer. But speaking strictly PVE...

Damage per stamina bar? Probably Blades of Mercy. But it relies on you to combo those moves out, meaning lots of inputs, and it's not effective at all against multiple enemies. It also can't be buffed with elemental paper and has very short reach. Still, if you successfully unload a whole stamina bar against a boss, you'll do tons of damage.

When it comes to balancing damage and the actual cost of stamina, Ludwig's Holy Blade is going to two or three hit every common enemy in the game and stun them in the process. All of its attacks combo into each other in 2H mode and 1H mode is fast, with longer than average reach, and a high damage output. You don't have to worry about chaining multiple attacks together and can very easily take on multiple enemies at once. So you might take out more enemies with your swings than the BoM. LHB can also be buffed with paper and the phantasm shell to exploit enemy weaknesses.

The Saw Cleaver is a really popular weapon. It has short to middle range options, so you can still possibly hit multiple enemies, and gets a 20% damage boost against beasts. Its stamina consumption is extremely low, while damage output per swing is much lower than something like LHB, you can do more damage with your stamina bar.

But, again, this is a really hard question to answer. It has much more to do with what you prefer than what does more damage.

Do you want fewer hits to do more damage in short bursts? Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Do you want more hits to do more damage in longer bursts? Saw Cleaver or BoM.

But you have other options, like the Chikage, but it just comes at the expense of your health while taking advantage of its full power.
Great synopsis, and its just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much eff'n depth to the weapons/combat.

I just started upper-cutting fools with the brass knuckles. With moderate upgrade they hit hard if you approach the game with constant agro. I never would have thought they'd throw them in the mix. Abandon your gun to punch shit up close. Now I want to grapple enemies and put the I'm an arm bar.

Ludwig 2H I think still does the most damage without any fancy gimmicks. The Moonlight can also do a ton of damage but you need to connect it with it's arcane L2/R2/-> R2 attacks to get them.
The WhirlingSaw L2 is great for big bosses like Rom since you just hold it and it just builds up damage.

gogosox82

Depends on how you want to play. I'd say LHB is probably the best for its versatility since their isn't a build in Bloodborne that wouldn't find LHB useful.

MrHoot

Since the DLC, i have so many issues chosing the weapons I want for my hunter. Even before i was like "hmmm...but maybe I could go with this". Now i'm just OVERLOADED WITH ONLY GOOD CHOICE. For a variety that is lesser than DaS or DaS2, at least all the weapons are so fun to use that it's hard to really chose which one to go with.

Anyway, killed Queen Yarnham recently without too much difficulty (fun fight tho !). And about to beat moon presence in NG+. I still need one achievement after that and I'll have my platinum. But it'll require another full playthrough...onwards to New game +2 !

JWNSY

Yes defeated
Laurence
first try this morning after so many tries yesterday.
Mostly punished his second form when he would do his big arm swings and lava attack using the heavy attack of the non-transformed MLGS/Holy Moonlight Sword.
Do not try to punish his smash attack it is always followed by a swing from his big arm.
That was fucking satisfying to see him go down.

Overall this DLC is amazing. The
atmosphere of Fishing village with the fishmen was amazing as was the fight against Maria in the clocktower. The second phase of Ludwig was another high point. For lows the Hunters Nightmare was not too visually distinctive but damn I love that skybox. The Living Failures Fight ended up being boring just parrying them and running behind the flower when the universe opened up.

All-in-all an amazing dlc. Now to do it all again with my ng+4 character.

Since the DLC, i have so many issues chosing the weapons I want for my hunter. Even before i was like "hmmm...but maybe I could go with this". Now i'm just OVERLOADED WITH ONLY GOOD CHOICE. For a variety that is lesser than DaS or DaS2, at least all the weapons are so fun to use that it's hard to really chose which one to go with.

Anyway, killed Queen Yarnham recently without too much difficulty (fun fight tho !). And about to beat moon presence in NG+. I still need one achievement after that and I'll have my platinum. But it'll require another full playthrough...onwards to New game +2 !

This so much. After hundreds of hours in the game im finally making a BT build but I dont know if wanna use the Bow, Bloodletter, or Chikage.

Yet another day without beating the Firesage Beast.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I believe in you senpai.

I think after playing through my new game a bit, I'm gonna go strength. If Bloodtinge isn't "aw man, let's use a neat weapon and then have fun with guns" and is instead "just use the Chikage, there's no other viable strat" then I think I'd rather have some fun in weapon variety.

Wanted to go Arcane but if all I get is
Parasite of Kos
then meh. I think that's my only real big annoyance with Bloodborne is that other than a couple strength builds and skill builds, there ain't a hell of a lot of variety in build stats and types for my tastes. That's one thing I'll give DS2, if I can stomach the bile long enough to agree with that crazy dude in this thread.

Mman235

I think it's a perceptual thing more than anything else. Also, not knowing exactly how much armor matters.

Souls veterans have had a lot of experience with armor, because armor was much more important in the Souls games. It directly impacted how you played the game.

Bloodborne newcomers (like myself) don't have that context. Attire's function is identical to how it is in most RPGs: it provides defensive stats. Visible, calculatable benefits. Naturally, people like me gravitate towards attire with stats that will protect us the best. Especially in a game as unforgiving as Bloodborne (at least the first time you play).

Then, people say that armor doesn't matter. Your Vitality is the most important defensive stat and armor won't make a difference between getting one shot or two shot. But in my experience, that hasn't been true. I remember putting Henryk's set on for Darkbeast Paarl after failing over and over and over and then beating the beast on my first try.

When I first encountered a Keeper of the Old Lord, I was getting wasted by her fire attacks. So I switched to the Charred Hunter Set. I was able to beat her after just a few tries.

In my first NG, I kept getting obliterated by all the riflemen in the graveyard on the way to Hemwick Charnel Lane. I would be focused on a dog, or a summoned enemy, and get wrecked by three absolutely deadly rifleshots that put me right out of my misery.

Desperate, I switched my armor to whatever gave me the best blood defense. I don't remember what it was at that time. But the reduction I received from the rifle damage was more than enough to clear the graveyard.

And the benefit of frenzy and poison resistance is very apparent. Unless you want to chug sedatives, you better be wearing a set with high frenzy resistance against Winter Lanterns. Navigating the Nightmare Frontier with low poison resistance will consume your Blood Vials so quickly.

Maybe the different between a 90 in a stat and 10 in a stat doesn't matter. But what about 20? Or 30? What if it's the difference between being kept alive and dying? What if it's the difference of surviving poisoning or dying from it? All you need is an invisible sliver of health to be able to heal back to full strength. Wouldn't you want to wear the set that allows you that luxury?

But it's true: if you're good enough at the game, it doesn't matter what you wear. You'll probably die in all the same situations no matter what you have on.

But I definitely feel safer in a set I picked to protect me than a set I picked for its appearances. And that impacts my confidence.

I don't know how defense works exactly but I've noticed that elemental/status resist on armour has very noticeable effect vs pure defense which seems to make barely any difference at all outside of extremes. Which would make sense as this also applied in earlier games, where the formulas made physical damage a lot harder to nullify than elemental/magic attacks, so Bloodborne is presumably the same.

I believe in you senpai.

I think after playing through my new game a bit, I'm gonna go strength. If Bloodtinge isn't "aw man, let's use a neat weapon and then have fun with guns" and is instead "just use the Chikage, there's no other viable strat" then I think I'd rather have some fun in weapon variety.

Wanted to go Arcane but if all I get is
Parasite of Kos
then meh. I think that's my only real big annoyance with Bloodborne is that other than a couple strength builds and skill builds, there ain't a hell of a lot of variety in build stats and types for my tastes. That's one thing I'll give DS2, if I can stomach the bile long enough to agree with that crazy dude in this thread.

Oh but there is. Its just hidden down in the depths of the dreaded chalice Dungeons. In BB you can make a red tearstone build, you can have builds with weapons that deal +75% damage on charge attacks, slow poison, rapid poison. You can make a build that focuses on not getting hit while having gems that boost your attacks potential by 30% when at full health. Want to use the wheel but prefer the two handed mode? Put Flat Arcane gems on it to boost the multi-hit attacks. Or do you prefer the one hand mode? Throw Blunt gems/Physical gems on it.

Imo theres just as many customization options in BB as the souls games, if not more. The only difference is its hidden in the Chalice Dungeons which I admit does suck. It gives the illusion that the variety isnt there when it is, just a grind to reach. Having said that I have like 5 different builds that specialize in different things and they all required me to go into Chalices to get what I needed.

Grexeno

Got all the way through R
esearch
H
all
. Easily beat
the Living Failures.

There was one item I couldn't figure out how to get though. When you're climbing up the ladder from the 2nd Floor Patient Room, you can see an item on a ledge accessed from the floor between the one you're climbing up from and the one you're climbing to. How do I get that?

Oh but there is. Its just hidden down in the depths of the dreaded chalice Dungeons. In BB you can make a red tearstone build, you can have builds with weapons that deal +75% damage on charge attacks, slow poison, rapid poison. You can make a build that focuses on not getting hit while having gems that boost your attacks potential by 30% when at full health. Want to use the wheel but prefer the two handed mode? Put Flat Arcane gems on it to boost the multi-hit attacks. Or do you prefer the one hand mode? Throw Blunt gems/Physical gems on it.

Imo theres just as many customization options in BB as the souls games, if not more. The only difference is its hidden in the Chalice Dungeons which I admit does suck. It gives the illusion that the variety isnt there when it is, just a grind to reach. Having said that I have like 5 different builds that specialize in different things and they all required me to go into Chalices to get what I needed.

After Platinuming the game before the DLC, you'll never catch me in a Chalice Dungeon ever again.

Got all the way through R
esearch
H
all
. Easily beat
the Living Failures.

There was one item I couldn't figure out how to get though. When you're climbing up the ladder from the 2nd Floor Patient Room, you can see an item on a ledge accessed from the floor between the one you're climbing up from and the one you're climbing to. How do I get that?

if it's what I think you're talking about I believe there's a floor you can only access after you switch the staircase. Can't describe exactly how to get there though because the place is such a labyrinth haha

Wagram

I really like the Kirkhammer. It's not the absolute strongest strength weapon, but I like its speed and stamina usage in the 2h form. The Moonlight sword is wayy too slow and takes up a gigantic amount of stamina.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I really like the Kirkhammer. It's not the absolute strongest strength weapon, but I like its speed and stamina usage in the 2h form. The Moonlight sword is wayy too slow and takes up a gigantic amount of stamina.

The lack of hyper armor and awful hitbox makes the kirkhammer unusable for me, despite it being my most anticipated weapon to use pre-release.

HORRORSHØW

the R2 thrust from the moonlight sword's 1h form is OP. it's quick, has reach, and does tons of damage. i prefer the moonlight sword with physical gems over the lost moonlight sword and nourishing gems because of that.

Top Bottom