• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Sylas

That one where you get the Boom Hammer. Unless I missed something there is nothing that warns you about it and it killed me the first time. Then those bookcases in Research Hall. I really don't get what causes it even.

There are also raised switches that you step on to trigger the bookcases!

myco666

Is it the one with the wheelchair dude? You can see the explosive pots that Djura shoots in Old Yharnam trying to blow you up, and if you don't rush to the item and take it slowly, the wheelchair dude has a timed explosive on him, it's not instant. Didn't really feel unfair to me.

To be fair for the game though I played that section at midnight when the DLC came out and I was super tired so my concentration wasn't really all that great at the moment. I guess you could realize it if you took it slowly. It looked little bit suspicious but I didn't expect a one hit kill out of it.

edit.

There are also raised switches that you step on to trigger the bookcases!

Holy shit I am blind. Well now I know.

Arjen

I actually don't remember. I guess I need to play DS1 again for a reminder.

edit.

That one where you get the Boom Hammer. Unless I missed something there is nothing that warns you about it and it killed me the first time. Then those bookcases in Research Hall. I really don't get what causes it even.
There are pressure plates near the bookshelves.

Gbraga

My problem with traps is that I feel like I absolutely need to see 100% of the content. So I'll see the pressue plate, think "aha", and then I'll press it anyway just to see if the trap is cool and if I can avoid it on reaction.

It doesn't usually work out very well for me.

Nope, maybe the vermins for the League but you can earn it offline and the invader invades you offline too, maybe coop?.

I don't even see messages? What a bummer.

Oh well, thank you for your answer!

Concerning the Boom Hammer, there are actually two cues I picked up on.

1) This is the same location in Central Yharnam where the wheelchair man would come to life and shoot you after you picked up the item in front of him. So when I came across the exact same set-up in the Hunter's Nightmare, I was instantly on guard.

2) There is a distinct ticking sound the moment you pick the Hammer. Considering I was already on edge due to #1, I rolled the hell away as fast as I could and avoided the ensuing explosion.

The bookcases in the Research Hall, though, I'll grant you. There is the sound of tipping glass that precedes the spray of acid, but I don't find it a worthy indication of a damage-dealing trap until you get hit by it the first time.

Roussow

Is it the one with the wheelchair dude? You can see the explosive pots that Djura shoots in Old Yharnam trying to blow you up, and if you don't rush to the item and take it slowly, the wheelchair dude has a timed explosive on him, it's not instant. Didn't really feel unfair to me.

I laughed out loud at that, it was actually really cute on the part of From playing on our expectations.

I quietly moved behind the wheelchair ranged lad, charged an R2 attack -- and swung right through him, "oh, he's dead... huh, I'll just carry on then", that moment in the vanilla game was a real "gotcha" moment, from afar he looks like an approachable npc, it's an uncharacteristic enemy type you're likely only going to realize is an enemy type when you first get shot at by him -- and somehow, somehow they got us again! You broke the tension by having no active enemies in the room, and then blow you the fuck up, as soon as I heard the "tick, tick, tick", I knew, but I was too slow, it was excellently foreshadowed by the enemies with the timed bombs 20 meters from the next timed explosive. It's a great way to appropriately remix the old areas and mess with old expectations.

Also -- I know From mentioned that The Old Hunters was once two separate dlc packs. Did anyone feel like there was a definite split point of two ideas?
The first time I walked through the Clock Tower and was greeted by what's basically Innsmouth, it felt really jarring -- deliberately, it's an intentional juxtaposition of what's come before, and it makes for a good area reveal. But I thought in the back of my head, was this going to be the idea for the second piece of dlc? An expanded version of the aesthetics of that last zone, the only thing that makes this feel slim is that their's only one boss in the area.

myco666

Concerning the Boom Hammer, there are actually two cues I picked up on.

1) This is the same location in Central Yharnam where the wheelchair man would come to life and shoot you after you picked up the item in front of him. So when I came across the exact same set-up in the Hunter's Nightmare, I was instantly on guard.

2) There is a distinct ticking sound the moment you pick the Hammer. Considering I was already on edge due to #1, I rolled the hell away as fast as I could and avoided the ensuing explosion.

The bookcases in the Research Hall, though, I'll grant you. There is the sound of tipping glass that precedes the spray of acid, but I don't find it a worthy indication of a damage-dealing trap until you get hit by it the first time.

As for the second point I panicked and rolled into the explosion.

We agree to disagree, then. Locking to Kos was for me a recipe for disaster and as soon as he started jumping around near me (in second form) the camera went berserk. I'd admit that the camera is much worse in other fights and has always been a low point for the entire series, but still... Also, while I'll agree most of its attacks won't kill you in one hit, more often than not they will be part of a chain that will stunlock you to dead from a full life bar, so its the same thing. I've watched a lot of streamers fighting him by now, and believe me, this is very, very common.

I agree, however that the key in this boss is to react very quickly. That is the reason this boss, just like Ludwig, is a big skill roadblock that is designed simply to prevent some kind of players from accessing the content. Why? And how is this good design in any way? The rest of Bloodborne, and I'd say the rest of the Souls series, is nothing like this. This case reminds me of Lud & Zallen in DS2, which at least was optional, intended to be played in coop, and you could still brute force through them, even solo, with proper gear.

The Bloodborne DLC is a huge step down in my opinion and has changed my mind entirely about DS3. Now I will wait cautiously for reviews before buying.
it's just really brutal. Encounters feel unfair sometimes until we figure them out. On my first playthrough I was stuck on Blood Starved Beast for like 4 days. Now I can beat it with my eyes closed.

Wagram

What changes did 1.08 bring? Going to leave my game at 1.07 forever probably out of fear they'll nerf the hell out of the DLC. Just incase I ever want to replay :D

man lady maria is a great fight....!

Right!? =D The music is incredible, especially the soaring choir in the 2nd and 3rd phase. I love the way her moveset evolves, and her outfit is stylish as hell. I kind of have a thing for cravats. :p

Someone save me a seat on the Maria cosplay train for my next playthrough. =D

As for the second point I panicked and rolled into the explosion.

D'oh! Next time, though, you will not fall for it. :)

Manu

What changes did 1.08 bring? Going to leave my game at 1.07 forever probably out of fear they'll nerf the hell out of the DLC. Just incase I ever want to replay :D

It fixed the exploit people were using to enter the DLC without buying it.

laxu

What do you think is the best version of the Whirligig Saw? I have normal, uncanny and lost. My normal is already a +6 but I can get the others to that as well but would prefer saving my shards so I can get that weapon to +9 eventually. Just want to pick the best gem setup for this weapon...

Any thoughts?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but what is the general reaction to this DLC?

Is it harder than the main game?
Is it better than the main game?
Is it worth $20?

I beat the main game, so does that mean I'd need to go onto NG+ to start this DLC? (Or start the whole game over if I want to do it on NG?)

laxu

Sorry to ask such a basic question but what is the general reaction to this DLC?

Is it worth $20?

I beat the main game, so does that mean I'd need to go onto NG+ to start this DLC? (Or start the whole game over if I want to do it on NG?)

Yes.
No.
Yes.

Yes, either way works. You need to seriously level up if you want to finish it on NG+ though.

Roussow

Is it worth $20?

Harder, definitely (although familiarity with vanilla might make the original game seem easier than it is) -- I'd say it's all up to par of the main game, there's 3 spectacular bosses, one interesting boss, and one truly challenging (perhaps cheap) boss. I love the 3 new areas, the second one particular reminded me of Demon's Souls.
I think it's worth the money, on top of the original dlc content, the new weapons and gear augments the main game dramatically. If you plan on playing more Bloodborne (on top of the dlc), you'll get more than your money's worth.

Is it worth $20?

It's definitely harder than the main game, it's not necessarily better than the main game, although it has a high concentration of stuff the matches some of the best stuff from the main game all in a row. One of the areas I found to be one of the weakest in the game though from a design standpoint (atmosphere and story are amazing though). It's easily worth $20.

Tactics18

Is it worth $20?

1- I'd say definitely yes.
2- It addresses one of the games biggest issues, weapon variety. The base game has 16 main weapon you can use, this DLC adds 11 more.
It also has some of the best boss fights and levels in the game (one of these levels is now my favourite in the entire game).
3- Yes.

Asd202

Finally beat the DLC it was amazing. Though It's strange that
we don't get Nightmare slain anywhere. What is the source of this Nightmare?

myco666

Is it worth $20?

Definitily harder than main game. Like way harder.
Parts of it are better than main game but overall I think it is the same quality.
Definetily worth $20 especially if you want to replay the game.

Is it worth $20?

1.- Old Hunters end game content so yeah, is "harder"
2.- Possibly, depends a lot of your own experience of the game since for me is a Dark Souls 1 layout which is better than the cathedral ward hub central esque design on BB
3.- Yes, go buy it

Also -- I know From mentioned that The Old Hunters was once two separate dlc packs. Did anyone feel like there was a definite split point of two ideas?
The first time I walked through the Clock Tower and was greeted by what's basically Innsmouth, it felt really jarring -- deliberately, it's an intentional juxtaposition of what's come before, and it makes for a good area reveal. But I thought in the back of my head, was this going to be the idea for the second piece of dlc? An expanded version of the aesthetics of that last zone, the only thing that makes this feel slim is that their's only one boss in the area.

I think the first DLC is the Old Hunters and the second is the Fishing Lamp. Could be a little worse to do the Adeline sidequest on Old Hunters and see the last part being in the Fishing Lamp DLC

Asd202

He is insane. His lightening attack is maybe one of the more un-escapable shit they ever made with the fire attack from sky by Ancient Dragon of DS2.

The 2nd phase is madness. He killed me more time than Ludwig.

I've beat him on my second try the hardest boss for me was definitely Ludwig but that may be because I was underleveled.

Thanks for all the answers!

So it sounds like if I don't want to get destroyed, I'm better off restarting and doing this DLC in a NG playthrough, rather than trying to do it on NG+. I haven't played the game in months so trying to step back into NG+ would probably be pretty brutal.

TitusTroy

So it sounds like if I don't want to get destroyed, I'm better off restarting and doing this DLC in a NG playthrough, rather than trying to do it on NG+. I haven't played the game in months so trying to step back into NG+ would probably be pretty brutal.

that's what I did...started a new playthrough and completed the entire game except for the Gherman fight...the DLC was a lot of fun

Okay so you waited all the way until the very end for the DLC? Because you needed to be leveled up that much, or some other reason?

You need to be like Lv70 to enter this ride because the enemies are quite overleved compared to the requirements you need to access the DLC. But I reccomend you to not kill Mergo, the Doll have aditional dialogues which are ignored if the house is on fire

Okay so you waited all the way until the very end for the DLC? Because you needed to be leveled up that much, or some other reason?
It's kind of designed to be end-game content so it's really just about getting your level high enough. I went in at level 65 on a NG run and it was appropriately challenging without feeling impossible.

di3f7a3.jpg

I1QlwV0.gif

My GOTY for sure.
Sorry Big Boss.
Sorry Geralt.
:D

Also mopped up NG+ after The Old Hunters (was at final
boss(es)
fight). ^_^
Feels good. Started NG++ and felt the urge to go over it again but I can't. Doesn't make sense. Backlog beckons. :D

TitusTroy

Sony/From Software recommends a level of 65 for average players accessing the DLC...I ended up past that but wanted to make sure I was leveled up enough as I heard the DLC was really difficult

Nullabe

Hey guys, i've a dummy question for ya.

I'm NG+ and i have all weapons, including DLC ones. What's in your opinion the best weapon and why ?

I never really noticed it during the fight, but the music that plays in
Laurence's
second phase is amazing.

Maybe even better than
Ludwig's
imo.

Starts @ 4:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rej1lAt5VRU

As someone who has been listening to the OST a lot as of late i'm glad you brought this up because I've neglected this goodness.

To think just a few weeks back in the thread about which soulsborne game had the best OST I didn't even remember enough of the BB OST to fairly judge it. Though that was also the thread that made me notice that I'd been sleeping on the soundtrack so there we go, at this point I'd easily say its the best soundtrack.

Shame the official OST is now incomplete with this DLC having turned up, I don't want to settle for anything but the whole package.

Dez_

Finally beat the DLC it was amazing. Though It's strange that
we don't get Nightmare slain anywhere. What is the source of this Nightmare?

I got that message. Did you
kill the shadowy figure where the kos corpse is? It appears after you beat OoK.

Hey guys, i've a dummy question for ya.

I'm NG+ and i have all weapons, including DLC ones. What's in your opinion the best weapon and why ?

Best DLC weapons according to my big biomass hat, splish, splash, splish, splash

STR - Pizza cutter
SKLL- Simon Bow, Rakuyo, Spike
Blood - Bloodletter
Arcane - Moonlightsword (ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo), Boom Hammer

The
Lady Maria
boss fight was incredible. Died the first time as I wasn't expecting another boss so soon, but managed to (just) beat
her
on my second try. Right up there with Artorias, IMO.

And I'm absolutely in love with the
Fishing Hamlet
already, despite only making it to the lamp thus far. I'm really hoping all the lore comes together, because right now I have even more questions than I did going in, lol.

MrHoot

I don't find OoK to be that bullshit although he is hard.

His entire first phase is pretty self explanatory. Either parry or even backstab him after his jump attack. It's mostly a dance of dodging some pretty telegraphed attack

His second phase is mostly patience and observation. When he flies about dropping his bombs, don't even bother going after him, just focus on dodging and evaluating the surroundings. You can dodge too through the giant electrical attacks, pretty easily too if you have sufficient distance. After that, it's mostly taking the time to observe his phyiscal attacks and not panicking. A whole bunch of them are parryable and are pretty telegraphed. Otherwise it's just a case of hit and run.

And yeah, don't bother locking the camera. Although at this point it should be evident that locking on anything that is more than twice your size or moves super fast in bloodborne, or even a souls game, is a bad idea

konjak

Just played my NG+2 with arrows only, didn't really do much optional stuff since I don't have time, but it was a fun run, and I think it made me love the bow most now, specifically the Lost one.

Shadows of Yharnam were the biggest damn assholes. And you also realize the game's hitboxes were not meant for precision shots with the bow (you can tilt-aim better than throws, and you can first-person aim). Tons of things had no collision in large chunks of their model, while the Rom spiderlings had their head hitboxes reach three times their height upward, blocking me. :p

Zocano

so what are people's opinions on the Old Hunters DLC vs Artorias of the Abyss Dark Souls DLC?...which is better?

Seeing as how AotA is pretty meeeeeh when it comes to anything but bosses and The Old Hunters has an actual really cool and interesting level to explore, it's a pretty easy choice.

Crown of the Sunken King still da goat.

Seeing as how AotA is pretty meeeeeh when it comes to anything but bosses and The Old Hunters has an actual really cool and interesting level to explore, it's a pretty easy choice.

Crown of the Sunken King still da goat.

Crown of the Sunken King is the third best Souls DLC after TOH and AotA. Level design is great, but there's only one area and only one quality boss.

Zocano

I'll take an actual 3 hour long level to explore over a boss gauntlet with nothing in between.

Also Sinh is a better Kalameet.

Also Elana is underrated.

Also Gank Squad is underrated.

edit: Also they're DLCs of different sizes so just comparing "well this one has TWO good bosses instead of one" seems a bit silly.

I'll take an actual 3 hour long level to explore over a boss gauntlet with nothing in between.

Also Sinh is a better Kalameet.

Also Elana is underrated.

Also Gank Squad is underrated.

Level design in AotA is poor, but the bosses are vastly superior to CotSK. And AotA has Gough, Kieran, and Sif, whereas CotSK doesn't really have anything going on story-wise.

Sinh is a good boss, but no better than Kalameet. And Kalameet came out first. Elana is fine but not nearly on the level of any of the AotA bosses - and she's also a reskin. And Gank Squad is awful. Every single one of the AotA bosses is spectacular and unique.

The Old Hunters has weaker bosses overall than AotA, but they're a lot better than CotSK. And it has by far the best level design in terms of variety and ambiance.

Top Bottom