• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Arjen

the thing that annoys me about from's DLC strategy, is that they cut out massive pieces of lore and then fill them in with dlc.
It's just gonna be annoying in ds3, where its easier to wait for the dlc to get a clear picture of the story

That's actually something I like, going deeper in the existing lore instead of adding a new story. I mean, the Ludwig fight wouldn't have been so cool if it was a new random character, same with Artorias.

Wait roll distance is also tied to a fucking stat!???!!!!! No wonder why I hate rolling around in that god damn game. Felt fine in Dark and Demons Souls, feels completely off in Dark Souls 2 when you first start holy fuck.

Yeah. I-frames are tied to adaptability, and roll distance is tied to equip burden, which is tied to vitality.

In DS1 all quick rolls are the same. In DS2, on the other hand, if you're "quick rolling" at 49% equip burden you won't roll as far as at 20% equip burden, so raising vitality has the effect of increasing your roll distance.

It's all very messy.

FINALLY

I finally beat
Ludwig
after a week of tears. Doing it with a skull build and my trusty cane was hard but I FUCKIN did it. Got through the Research Hall, it was amazing. Beat both the
Living Failures and Maria
and loved it all.

The hamlet is amazing, but God fucking dammit the shark asshole near the second lamp killed
Simon
through the wall :( I was so upset. Does he come up again? I wanted to see what happened with him :(

I'm disappointed that the bow blade has such a bad melee moveset. I feel like L2 could have been arrows (charge by holding or just tap) and R1 and R2 could have been some melee attacks.

The caves under the hamlet area are terrifying. Heard a winter lantern and noped on out. I'm sure I'm about to fight a boss so whoopee, here goes nothing.

myco666

One of the best changes to the series would be the status screen showing properly-scaled numerical values for:

Roll Distance
Roll Invulnerability

and even a flat category of:

Roll/Movement type

I would really like that especially in DaS2. I don't remember DaS1 or DeS having too much alteration on distance aside from the clear tresholds of equip load.

laxu

Any tips for the giant sharks? I've tried learning to parry them but it's really hard to get the timing right. They have huge health in NG+ and visceral attacks seem to be the only thing that really puts the hurt on them. Any particular weapons or items that are good against them?

Neoweee

I would really like that especially in DaS2. I don't remember DaS1 or DeS having too much alteration on distance aside from the clear tresholds of equip load.

Run Speed being related to Roll Type was brutal. It is so, so subtle, but it makes all the difference against the Red Dragon over the bridge in DaS1.

So I've beaten
Ludwig, Living Failures, Lady Maria, Orphan of Kos, and finally Laurence
. Have I finished the DLC? There was a very short cutscene after my second-to-last boss, which makes me think I should have fought it last, but it doesn't seem like I have anywhere else to explore.

So I've beaten
Ludwig, Living Failures, Lady Maria, Orphan of Kos, and finally Laurence
. Have I finished the DLC? There was a very short cutscene after my second-to-last boss, which makes me think I should have fought it last, but it doesn't seem like I have anywhere else to explore.

Nah you beat it unless you want to get all the weapons.

Nah you beat it unless you want to get all the weapons.

Sweet, I actually think I've just got the last one
from the two assholes in the well

All in all, super impressed with the DLC. I'm going to take some time to reflect on it, but right now I think I loved it even more than Artorias of the Abyss and Crown of the Ivory King. The new areas were incredibly atmospheric, interesting and fun to explore, I love the new weapons (Whirligig Saw for the win), and the bosses were mostly great (even though I somehow beat
Laurence and OoK on my first try, both of them took me right down to the wire)

Right, back to the Chalice Dungeons (which I'm actually enjoying this time around)!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Guys, I'm ringing the bell and can't seem to find any co op partners. I'm lvl 145, am I too high of a level? It has been searching for 20 minutes now. I'm at the lamp just before the kos boss fight.

105.Will

Has anyone beat La
urence
on some of the higher NG+'s? I'm running him at +7 and his one hit kill sweeps are making me lose hope.

Can't seem to find this after turning the gears and changing the staircase

IIRC, you need to take to shortcut elevator up and then the 2nd elevator with the 3 wheelchair men. There should be the giant staircase there where you can run to the top and climb a ladder (there'll be one of those patients with a weapon)

Has anyone beat La
urence
on some of the higher NG+'s? I'm running him at +7 and his one hit kill sweeps are making me lose hope.

Some guy beat OoK NG+6 at level 4

Any tips for the giant sharks? I've tried learning to parry them but it's really hard to get the timing right. They have huge health in NG+ and visceral attacks seem to be the only thing that really puts the hurt on them. Any particular weapons or items that are good against them?

Fight them with lock on off. Also, partial embrias spell will crumple them from behind for easy visceral.

WeTeHa

Soooooo....

I purchased the GOTY Edition when it launched and I've been playing for a few hours every day since I got it.

I've only played a portion of Demon's Souls (I'm stuck at the flame lurker (?) boss, though I intend to finish the game sometime in the future).

So far, I'm loving it. I very much prefer the quicker pace of the combat compared to DeS, love the regain system. Love the parry system with the gun. Level design is great, Central Yharnam is just awesome with all the different passages and shortcuts.

I started with the saw cleaver and now I purchased Ludwig's Holy Blade. I switch between them whenever I feel like it. Both actually feel great to use.

I've killed 4 bosses (C
leric
B
east
, F
ather
G
ascoigne
, B
lood-starved
B
east
and V
icar
A
melia
) (do I still need to spoiler main game bosses?). None of the bosses have really given me trouble so far. I've met the boss in Hemwick, though I quickly ported out with a hunter mark, because I was carrying 50k echoes.

My least favourite enemy are those dudes in black clothes that carry around sacks (they take you to Yahar'gul). They hit hard as fuck and have a strange moveset I'm not really comfortable with. I also hate the ridiculously oversized enemies with axes/morning stars shortly before V
icar
A
melia
Also, fuck those snake....things in the woods.

Nearly shit my pants in Old Yharnam when that beast jumped out of the wooden door.

Oh boy, even a Bloodborne DLC thread turns into a DS2-bashing thread.

Because DS2 is clearly the weakest of the bunch...by far. Such a by the numbers vacuous uneventful borefest at times. Its like the Devil May Cry 2 of the SoulBorn franchise. Also, it's not strange for people to talk about the most recent Souls game that came before bloodborne.

Jombie

Soooooo....

I purchased the GOTY Edition when it launched and I've been playing for a few hours every day since I got it.

I've only played a portion of Demon's Souls (I'm stuck at the flame lurker (?) boss, though I intend to finish the game sometime in the future).

So far, I'm loving it. I very much prefer the quicker pace of the combat compared to DeS, love the regain system. Love the parry system with the gun. Level design is great, Central Yharnam is just awesome with all the different passages and shortcuts.

I started with the saw cleaver and now I purchased Ludwig's Holy Blade. I switch between them whenever I feel like it. Both actually feel great to use.

I've killed 4 bosses (C
leric
B
east
, F
ather
G
ascoigne
, B
lood-starved
B
east
and V
icar
A
melia
) (do I still need to spoiler main game bosses?). None of the bosses have really given me trouble so far. I've met the boss in Hemwick, though I quickly ported out with a hunter mark, because I was carrying 50k echoes.

My least favourite enemy are those dudes in black clothes that carry around sacks (they take you to Yahar'gul). They hit hard as fuck and have a strange moveset I'm not really comfortable with. I also hate the ridiculously oversized enemies with axes/morning stars shortly before V
icar
A
melia

Nearly shit my pants in Old Yharnam when that beast jumped out of the wooden door.

Parry their right hand punch; it has a slow wind-up that's easily punished, and get behind them as they buff and back stab them. They hit hard but they're easily trivialized.

Dahbomb

Because DS2 is clearly the weakest of the bunch...by far. Such a by the numbers vacuous uneventful borefest at times. Its like the Devil May Cry 2 of the SoulBorn franchise. Also, it's not strange for people to talk about the most recent Souls game that came before bloodborne.
Jesus Christ no ways is Dark Souls 2 comparable to DMC2.

Yeah it's the weakest of the Souls but not to the point where the other Souls games are 9-10 tier games where as DS2 is 2/10 level.

xPhinehas

I'm looking for some assistance in the Chalice Dungeons! I'm lvl 77. Also if there is a better place to post this please let me know.

People shitting on Dark Souls 2 is fucking tiring at this point.

Soooooo....

I've killed 4 bosses (C
leric
B
east
, F
ather
G
ascoigne
, B
lood-starved
B
east
and V
icar
A
melia

icar
A
melia

Good luck with the rest of the game! You should really get on the Dark Souls bandwagon once you're done with this and Demon's Souls!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Blueblood garbage in pvp, lmao. Morrigan pls.
It really is. No BBS user ever won a PvP tourney, and at high level (SL ~120) few people use it because it's so easy to counter. Noobs think it's so good because it hits hard with LW on and technically has high DPS, but the straight sword moveset, while fun as hell, is not very effective and easy to avoid, and all you gotta do is play defensively for 60 secs and then the BBS becomes a puny useless stick.

Jombie

Pellets are op with any weapon with decent dps. I was toying around with them lately - popped a pellet and buffed saw spear with fire paper and laid waste to Amelia in about 20 seconds.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It really is. No BBS user ever won a PvP tourney, and at high level (SL ~120) few people use it because it's so easy to counter. Noobs think it's so good because it hits hard with LW on and technically has high DPS, but the straight sword moveset, while fun as hell, is not very effective and easy to avoid, and all you gotta do is play defensively for 60 secs and then the BBS becomes a puny useless stick.

I won't listen to this bashing of my swordfu any longer!!

I'm convinced Henriet is a troll. Don't ever summon him/her. Second time I've seen him her glitched

Have you ever summoned "Queen Killer?" Have only seen them in chalices so far, but pretty funny setup that Old Hunter has.

When did you jump into Demons' Souls? Just asking because I distinctly remember BBS being one of the very first "broken weapons" that people rushed to max out because of how well it performed both in PvE and PvP.

Over time, sure, people learned to counter it better and patches came out and other weapons became more prolific, but for the first month or two of the game's life (if not a bit longer) BBS was definitely a weapon to be feared.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
When did you jump into Demons' Souls? Just asking because I distinctly remember BBS being one of the very first "broken weapons" that people rushed to max out because of how well it performed both in PvE and PvP.

Over time, sure, people learned to counter it better and patches came out and other weapons became more prolific, but for the first month or two of the game's life (if not a bit longer) BBS was definitely a weapon to be feared.
Eh? Demon's Souls didn't get many balancing patches at all.

I jumped into Demon's PvP in like January or February 2010, by the way (and played tons of PvP for far too long xD). BBS was all the rage for a while, hell I made a BBS build too, and quickly realized it was overrated. I mean one time you'll get caught in a buffed 2h stunlocked and go "whoaaaa this thing is OP". Then you realize you can do the toggle-escape, and that when the buff is waited out the BBS completely sucks, and that noobs think that its high damage output per hit makes it good when it fact it's extremely unlikely that every hit of the combo will connect (I dare say it's unlikely any hit will connect, its hitbox and phantom range is not that good, especially the 2h version).

It's actually a shame because the straight sword moveset is really fun in Demon's Souls, it's probably one of my favourite weapons for PvP. But it's objectively worse (as in, less efficient and competitive) than stuff like dual kats, the estoc, the claymore (or hell NR), gaxe, and DBS. PvP tourney winners inevitably used kats, estoc, the DBS or NR, and never the BBS.

Finally managed to hit a decent level so that the first area of the DLC wasn't kicking my ass.

Then I got to the first boss.

OH BOY!

Eh? Demon's Souls didn't get many balancing patches at all.

I jumped into Demon's PvP in like January or February 2010, by the way (and played tons of PvP for far too long xD). BBS was all the rage for a while, hell I made a BBS build too, and quickly realized it was overrated. I mean one time you'll get caught in a buffed 2h stunlocked and go "whoaaaa this thing is OP". Then you realize you can do the toggle-escape, and that when the buff is waited out the BBS completely sucks, and that noobs think that its high damage output per hit makes it good when it fact it's extremely unlikely that every hit of the combo will connect (I dare say it's unlikely any hit will connect, its hitbox and phantom range is not that good, especially the 2h version).

It's actually a shame because the straight sword moveset is really fun in Demon's Souls, it's probably one of my favourite weapons for PvP. But it's objectively worse (as in, less efficient and competitive) than stuff like dual kats, the estoc, the claymore (or hell NR), gaxe, and DBS. PvP tourney winners inevitably used kats, estoc, the DBS or NR, and never the BBS.
I guess I should've used a comma:

people learned to counter it better,
patches came out,
and other weapons became more prolific

So, yeah. When the game first got rolling, it was widely used by more than "noobs [who] think that its high damage output per hit makes it good". Not saying it's still OP, but it wasn't always (er, it has never really been) "trash-tier unless you make an extremely specific build for it".

However, if you weren't able to experience that period of time due to jumping into the game later, that's fine. Just thought it was odd hearing someone say it was a bad/limited weapon. Similarly, if someone was like "Lightning Great Axe +5 was shit in Dark Souls" I'd be like WAT?!

Can someone help me with OoK? NG+, SL 182. No password. Standing outside of door now.

Edit: pretty please??? I've spent hours on this fucker. I got him to 15% - that last phase though...

Top Bottom