• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Dahbomb

Not looking through all these pages to see if it's been posted but a Japanese player defeated
orphan
at level 4 NG +7 with no visceral attacks and took no damage. He's makes it look so easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJrw5gwx-o&
I can do first phase without getting touch but in the 2nd form I get into a bad situation where I get one shotted or comboed. I simply don't have enough practice against the 2nd phase to be honest.

I later figured out that if you take the fight into the open water near the edge he kinda bugs out and his offensive becomes a lot more limited.

The way this guy back stabs him through the 2nd phase's lunge attack is some calculated ballsy shit. No way he figured that out without dying many times.

Yesterday I was doing chalice dungeons and got up to layer 3 of the ailing loran chalice. But when I booted up the game today, I noticed my health was cut in half. I went back to the hunters dream and checked which chalice was on the gravestone, and it was the defiled chalice. But it couldn't be because I was still looking for level 4 ritual blood so that I could get INTO the defiled chalice. So I went back into the defiled chalice dungeon (layer 1) and sure enough, it was all new to me. The doors were all closed but there were no bosses and all of the lamps were lit. It's so weird. Could it be some sort of glitch? I doubt this is supposed to happen lol

wiibomb

This is guaranteed to be me when I first get to them:
captain-quint-jaws.gif

The ones with anchors... oh gods have mercy...

These thing are a true stuff of nightmares, they are quick and deadly and can short distances in no fucking time.

I have actually already died 4 times to the first one with an anchor, I haven't defeated it!!!

Any tips for the first dlc boss? It's totally clobbering me.

I'm not sure how different the experience is between NG+++ and normal, but for me I just threw on some Arcane armor and Arcane Lake rune, popped some beast roids and played it rushdown.

He's designed to punish you for charging at him and attacking recklessly.

He's also designed poorly, so it works better than fighting him "properly" anyway. He ends up putting his face right into the Burial Blade constantly while trying to do his "punish the player for standing too close" attacks, gets staggered, and eats a ton of damage. It also makes him much less likely to use his actual super-bullshit attacks, the Ebrietas-style charge and dumb roof-drop thing. Honestly, it would have been completely trivial if I wasn't constantly running out of Stamina from swinging, even with the Hunter of Hunters Oath.

Despite all the complaints about his second phase, I didn't have any problems with it. I'm guessing most people are trying to fight him more cautiously at mid-range, or aren't getting that when he does his big charge-up you just need to sprint full-on in whatever direction offers the most room to run. That, or they weren't favoring Arcane resistance, maybe?

Flex187ad

So I finished the DLC over the weekend and it's definitely sad to know that there won't be any new content for this game coming any time soon. What a game though, I think it is my favourite of the souls series. Although Dark Souls 3 seems to be the bridge between Dark Souls and Bloodborne from a gameplay perspective, so we will see how that turns out.

Overall I didn't find it as difficult as others seem to be, but thats probably because I played in NG first, and I was doing chalice dungeons at the same time on a fresh character. One quick note on chalice dungeons is that they have added NPCs you can summon throughout them, which has made the defiled chalice MUCH easier as you can summon for watchdog and amygdala.

I'm currently playing through the DLC for a second time on one my characters that was in NG+ since I think my other character was a bit overpowered (especially being equipped with with pizza cutter).

A few random thoughts:

M
aria
might be my new favourite boss, just a straight up duel with another hunter, very fun to fight and a great boss room.

L
udwig
was very difficult in NG+, I find that dodging towards it and just spamming attacks was the best way to deal with him. Once again that Bloodborne philosophy of playing more aggressively to win as opposed to the slow and methodical approach of Souls.

O
oK
was a tough bastard, that second phase is by far the most intense fight in the game, I feel like I got lucky beating him and am dreading fighting him again.

L
aurence
I beat the first time i tried him on NG for some reason, so not much to say there. Disappointing that he is just a reskin.

I loved all the levels, I agree with some that the enemies in FH weren't particularly fun, and the
2 sharks in the well
were some serious bullshit. That diving, followed by flailing attack is particularly brutal to recover from.

R
esearch Hall
was just amazing, so many little secrets as well. I loved getting the B
alcony Ke
y and seeing outside, something special about that moment for some reason.

Honestly, I just want more and more. Can not get enough of this game!

What are everyones thoughts on the new weapons?

Thats a ringing endorsement for Laurence, considering Darklurker is the best boss in vanilla Souls 2.

That's the beauty of these games. Different bosses give different players trouble. I didn't find darklurker to be that hard. Great boss though. What was hard about my first try at darklurker was I was a hexer and hexes don't do shit

Endo Punk

Orphan over Ludwig and Laurence?

Failures over Maria?

Surprising.

I had trouble on both phases with Orphan(then I see a video like the one above where he looks piss easy lol), Ludwig was fine in second phase. After all the horror stories i was surprised that Laurence was't as hard, second phase caught me off guard with the lava but it was manageable. Failures would gang on me pretty bad and the bloody meteors. Despite Maria being the most fun she was also pretty straight forward.

I was also on NG.

I had trouble on both phases with Orphan(then I see a video like the one above where he looks piss easy lol), Ludwig was fine in second phase. After all the horror stories i was surprised that Laurence was't as hard, second phase caught me off guard with the lava but it was manageable. Failures would gang on me pretty bad and the bloody meteors. Despite Maria being the most fun she was also pretty straight forward.
My first time fighting Failures I think I was being too cautious and it just seemed like the fight was taking forever, got them to a third left and buckled

Once I started playing more aggressively it just became a game of keep away/guessing who was gonna attack next

My bouts with Maria have been inconsistent. Some I completely dominate up until her final form with parries, others my timing sucks and I get smoked lol. It's a work in progress

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally...FINALLY!!!

FINALLY!

Co op back. FINALLY FUCKED THOSE FROGS FOR THE RAKUYO!!!

Strat for me was all hit and run and hen bone blade to make them fight each other.

So what I did was sneak around quickly, got a quick two hand attack and back the fuck off. If you just stay between the pillar and only move if it comes towards you, it'll eventually reset and start patrolling again. Rinse and repeat til half health and then as soon as he starts walking to his buddy, unleash the bone blade and let them weaken each other. It was still close for me. I was at 1 hp at one point after I couldn't get away and I also nearly got double teamed as I snuck in and tried to finish both at once.

I love this weapon though and that L2 attack is so strong for a skill build.

Endo Punk

My first time fighting Failures I think I was being too cautious and it just seemed like the fight was taking forever, got them to a third left and buckled

Once I started playing more aggressively it just became a game of keep away/guessing who was gonna attack next

My bouts with Maria have been inconsistent. Some I completely dominate up until her final form with parries, others my timing sucks and I get smoked lol. It's a work in progress

Come to think of it I probably was too cautious with the failures. Still, Maria is very easy to stun and combo. Fantastic fight though.

The ones with anchors... oh gods have mercy...

These thing are a true stuff of nightmares, they are quick and deadly and can short distances in no fucking time.

I have actually already died 4 times to the first one with an anchor, I haven't defeated it!!!
Just got my shit handed to me by NG+ Ludwig, dude has too much fucking health. I'm not far enough into Forbidden Woods to have Valtr and Henriett doesn't know how to leave anything alone on the way to Ludwig's room.

Floody

What are everyones thoughts on the new weapons?

I think they are great and add variety to the weapons, which although I don't think the base game did a bad job at that, it was definitely one of the weaker points. I haven't used all of them, but The Pizza Cutter and B
owblade
have replaced my Ludwig Holy Blade/Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy combo, which I've used since my 1st play through. So I can't complain, I'm looking forward to trying the others too.

Yesterday I was doing chalice dungeons and got up to layer 3 of the ailing loran chalice. But when I booted up the game today, I noticed my health was cut in half. I went back to the hunters dream and checked which chalice was on the gravestone, and it was the defiled chalice. But it couldn't be because I was still looking for level 4 ritual blood so that I could get INTO the defiled chalice. So I went back into the defiled chalice dungeon (layer 1) and sure enough, it was all new to me. The doors were all closed but there were no bosses and all of the lamps were lit. It's so weird. Could it be some sort of glitch? I doubt this is supposed to happen lol

My Cursed Isz chalice basically disappeared when I was fighting Amygdala. It was the strangest occurence. I was randomly booted out of the game. When I tried to load my save back up there was nothing but a grey abyss, and if I waited long enough my character would fall and die. I had to load my save several times until I was back at the hunter's dream, the chalice dungeon vanished and all. I'm pretty pissed about it.

Fuck
Laurence
... god dammit... I get to his final phase and I am at a total lost on what to do. I wait until he does his fire breath but the freaking camera gets me killed by acting so god damn jittery... I never raged quit so hard.

Flex187ad

This exact same thing happened to me as well. I was incredibly confused... I was actually terrified because I was on Depth Layer 2... So I went through to check who the boss was and sure enough... It was the Watchdog. I ended up finishing it off however. Such a weird glitch, happened to anyone else?

Game4life

Banned

I was also on NG.

Interesting. Yeah Ludwig was fine in the second phase in hindsight but I was getting my ass handed to me in the first phase. I was in NG+. OoK I got in my second. Maria in my third and Living Failures in my first. Ludwig though.. I think over 20 tries at the minimum lol. It is so fascinating in souls series to see one gamer's tough boss is another person's easiest and vice versa. Always amazing to see. Now I am getting my ass handed by Laurence's second form. I am still stumped what strategy to employ lol.

Just got my shit handed to me by NG+ Ludwig, dude has too much fucking health. I'm not far enough into Forbidden Woods to have Valtr and Henriett doesn't know how to leave anything alone on the way to Ludwig's room.

The cannon ogre is facing away from the path to the lantern, so you could probably just backstab him before you summon her, eh?

Endo Punk

Interesting. Yeah Ludwig was fine in the second phase in hindsight but I was getting my ass handed to me in the first phase. I was in NG+. OoK I got in my second. Maria in my third and Living Failures in my first. Ludwig though.. I think over 20 tries at the minimum lol. It is so fascinating in souls series to see one gamer's tough boss is another person's easiest and vice versa. Always amazing to see. Now I am getting my ass handed by Laurence's second form. I am still stumped what strategy to employ lol.

Damn son. I died 20+ times on Orphan, Ludwig, 10+ on Laurence, whom I ended up just spamming arrows and arcane skull magic in second phase. And 5+ deaths on Maria and Failures.

GorillaJu

My guess is that there was something weird going on with the network. Maybe you were given a glyph code that someone else already used, or you created your dungeons at the exact same moment and got into someone else's defiled chalice.

GorillaJu

Damn son. I died 20+ times on Orphan, Ludwig, 10+ on Laurence, whom I ended up just spamming arrows and arcane skull magic in second phase. And 5+ deaths on Maria and Failures.

Your weapons and level make a huge difference. I died once or twice on Ludwig, none on failures, once on Maria on my lvl 75 Chikage character. Doing enough damage to stun enemies or put them in v. Atk positions (or outright killing them in the LF case) makes a huge difference. My second character through was level 38 with a +6 whip using only a fire gem. I died about 30 times on Ludwig before beating him. I had to be absolutely perfect to do that one.

Pro-tip for Henriett: don't go for the free blood vials at the gate. Run straight to the boss. At worst the witch will get taken care of

The moment you start swinging at the corpse for the vials I think the AI assumes you're trying to clear the area

Yeah, liked it so much I went back to destroy all the baddies and bosses in the base game. Need more chunks for my church pick and beast hunter saif too. I'm loving their movesets, as well

Personally I found it to be a big let down. The moveset feels off. It lacks the sense of power It should be giving off . No blood buffing like the Chikage also was super disappointing. Gehrmans Burial Blade felt just as good when attained as showcased in the boss, but even better. Don't know what they were thinking here...

Despite all the complaints about his second phase, I didn't have any problems with it. I'm guessing most people are trying to fight him more cautiously at mid-range, or aren't getting that when he does his big charge-up you just need to sprint full-on in whatever direction offers the most room to run. That, or they weren't favoring Arcane resistance, maybe?

I found that staying close to him in his 2nd phase works well. It's super easy to dodge his attacks and when he tries to charge, I usually have enough time to stagger him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I guess I should've used a comma:

people learned to counter it better,
patches came out,
and other weapons became more prolific
Patches are still irrelevant, the BBS was never adjusted in any way in patches.

So, yeah. When the game first got rolling, it was widely used by more than "noobs [who] think that its high damage output per hit makes it good". Not saying it's still OP, but it wasn't always (er, it has never really been) "trash-tier unless you make an extremely specific build for it".
Actually it is trash-tier without a very specific build for it (using high magic stat + insanity catalyst and LW, it's useless without LW), and with the specific build, it quickly became mediocre.

However, if you weren't able to experience that period of time due to jumping into the game later, that's fine. Just thought it was odd hearing someone say it was a bad/limited weapon.
Sure I wasn't on day 1, but I was still pretty early into the PvP meta and played for quite a while, and I can assure you that the BBS was never really competitive.

Personally I found it to be a big let down. The moveset feels off. It lacks the sense of power It should be giving off . No blood buffing like the Chikage also was super disappointing. Gehrmans Burial Blade felt just as good when attained as showcased in the boss, but even better. Don't know what they were thinking here...

I can see that but it's a 1 stat weapon and no other. Straight skill stat nothing else. So every hit may not hit really hard they are fast and hit a bunch.

I found that staying close to him in his 2nd phase works well. It's super easy to dodge his attacks and when he tries to charge, I usually have enough time to stagger him.

Yeah. You have to strafe-dodge a bit because he likes to do the sword-smash that hits in close in front of him, but even if it hits you it honestly shouldn't kill.

Roussow

Any hot tips for getting the most out of your Bowblade? I really, really like it. But I can't help but just getting lazy and thinking, my Moonlight Greatsword / Whirligig is probably more practical. I never really used firearms more than just to get a quick parry off once in a while, so using bullets as a primary weapon is fairly unfamiliar with me.

The Burial Blade's two-handed L2 moveset is so damn great. It's the ultimate boss killer. Damage, range and hefty stagger capabilities. I adore it.

I just wish I was around the different versions available in the CD's back before I +10'd it. That bloody Waning slot. Letting the team down, yo!

wiibomb

I just thought of something... where the hell is supposed to be
Fishing Hamlet
geographically? When we go in front of the
astral clocktower, that clock
is supposed to be the one in front of the great cathedral no? I never saw anything in front of the the cathedral, let alone whole
fishing town

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
wooo beat blood-starved beast and vicar Amelia on second tries for both, had them down to like 1/10th hp left on my first tries too

Top Bottom