• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

2AdEPT

I figured out how far back to run in the tunnel so that when I returned I was facing his back and could get three charge arrows in. Then when his buddy dropped down I was able to connect with a shaman bone and that was pretty much it.

Awsesome! I tried to use the tunnel and the arrows but I couldnt get him in range?!?!? I guess if you engage him first then climb the ladder out he will be in a different spot? Regardless, I just went back to the repeating pistol and BMA and indeed finsied the job with the shaman blade. I hope you recorded your strat. I would like to see it. Here is how I finally did it.

wont let me beckon where I'm at. Weird.

Yeah, not sure what's going on. I tried doing a once-through of the zone after resetting my bell and I'm not getting summoned. Maybe you're too close to the Cathedral? I know it won't let me use my Small Resonant Bell in the room where you would normally fight Shaggy Dog.

LiK

Lol nm, I killed them all.

Thanks for offering to help Imperfected. I did it myself. Thank gawd for a rock in the cave XD

gogosox82

Not really sure I understand why these spells have to go through walls. Isn't it bad enough that the weapons clip through walls no you can to deal with these annoying spells doing it too?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, skill builds really make a difference with Maria. I kind of struggled with my strength (used Kirkhammer then, didn't have enough mats to max out the saw just yet at the time), and my viscerals were doing poor damage so not a very good risk/reward ratio. But now I just solo'd her first try with my Ludwig user (who had 40 skill and 30 strength) and even without Clawmark equipped I was doing double the damage in viscerals, easily. She went down much faster which helped significantly.

In coop she's just sad. I think it's unfair to coop on her now, she just gets stunlocked to death lol. I think I'll just keep soloing her from now on (unless I just want to run quickly through the game to get something or whatever).

cheesekao

Not really sure I understand why these spells have to go through walls. Isn't it bad enough that the weapons clip through walls no you can to deal with these annoying spells doing it too?
What are you talking about? Projectile spells dissipate after hitting walls.

Man, skill builds really make a difference with Maria. I kind of struggled with my strength (used Kirkhammer then, didn't have enough mats to max out the saw just yet at the time), and my viscerals were doing poor damage so not a very good risk/reward ratio. But now I just solo'd her first try with my Ludwig user (who had 40 skill and 30 strength) and even without Clawmark equipped I was doing double the damage in viscerals, easily. She went down much faster which helped significantly.

In coop she's just sad. I think it's unfair to coop on her now, she just gets stunlocked to death lol. I think I'll just keep soloing her from now on (unless I just want to run quickly through the game to get something or whatever).

Yeah, she's the best and most "fair" boss in the DLC, you're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't fight her womano-e-womano.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, she's the best and most "fair" boss in the DLC, you're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't fight her womano-e-womano.

Kos and Ludwig are best because they will probably wreck your shit at least once every time. Maria is too vulnerable to circling early, parrying and stunlocking. If she had her fire blood the whole fight it might be different.

gogosox82

What are you talking about? Projectile spells dissipate after hitting walls.

In
fishing Halmet, the guys the lighting spells. It went through the boards.
I got when he was on top of the house and I was on the bottom. He's wasn't near a hole either so it wasn't that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't been invaded for awhile until tonight.

Least he wasn't a dick and attack me while I was fighting and he backed off to an open field on solid ground. We saluted each other and had at it.

He was using the blades of mercy and I was using the rapier. It was a pretty tense battle and since I was using a skill/blood tinge build (gunning for bow blade) I shot an awful lot. We kept trading blows and healing and I found I either missed or it didn't do much damage. I was out of vials down to one bullet that I had gotten by sacrificing blood and I had 2 hits left. I slashed and as soon as I saw him attack I changed up and busted out the gun at the end of the rapier to his face and vicious attacked him for the win.

I can see how this thing would be super annoying if someone knew he timing for parrying.

Kos and Ludwig are best because they will probably wreck your shit at least once every time. Maria is too vulnerable to circling early, parrying and stunlocking. If she had her fire blood the whole fight it might be different.

I don't consider a Souls boss good just because they are guaranteed to kill you, especially if they're only guaranteed to kill you because of an attack that requires information you don't have to avoid being killed by.

I mean, the optional boss will most likely kill you because RNG will likely have him spam his auto-tracking overhead that has virtually no openings in the hitbox, no recovery, and no AI shackling to keep him from using it back-to-back. I'd still say he's the worst in the entire DLC, even counting the multi-enemy fight.

A good Souls fight never kills you without you knowing why you were killed before it happened. A great Souls fight never kills you without you knowing why you were killed, and how you could avoid it next time if you play it smarter. Maria is the only solo fight in the DLC that meets those standards for me. The entire mantra of "git gud" in Souls only works if you can clearly see what you did that was bad.

gogosox82

Not really liking the bowblade. Don't like the moveset on the sword part and the damage feels a little 'meh'. The bow is awesome but you can't fire arrows all day. Sooner or later you'll run out of bullets. Can't really see myself playing with this as a main weapon. Maybe, switch to it and use the bow but that's it.

I don't see how parrying her isn't fighting her one on one. Its not like she's pulling out poison throwing knives or something. If she's good enough to read her attack and get the parry, then good on her.

Best fights of the DLC for me were Maria and OoK. Ludwig, while an awesome encounter, just pissed me off after a while.

Haven't fought Laurence yet

ahha hell yeah man no other game does this for me...dat feel from killing a boss after 20 tries...<3
Damn right dude, and to make it even more intense I was out of vials with about 20% of his HP to go. Was sweatin' it like woa.

I don't see how parrying her isn't fighting her one on one. Its not like she's pulling out poison throwing knives or something. If she's good enough to read her attack and get the parry, then good on her.

Uh, the person I was responding to said they regretted fighting her co-op, not that they regretted parrying her. I have no idea what you're on about.

Kinda wish she was less susceptible to stun and if you tried to parry her too much she'd parry the shit out of you in retaliation.

cheesekao

In
fishing Halmet, the guys the lighting spells. It went through the boards.
I got when he was on top of the house and I was on the bottom. He's wasn't near a hole either so it wasn't that.
That spell doesn't go through boards. It's literally a homing AOE blast and not a projectile like the skulls. It only looks like it comes from the sky but it materialises slightly above you. That isn't going to change your opinion on the spell but it is what it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm... pretty sure you misunderstood, lol.

Uh, the person I was responding to said they regretted fighting her co-op, not that they regretted parrying her. I have no idea what you're on about.
Yeah pretty much. I should note that I did solo her with my strength too, I just struggled. I helped others as a cooperator though, and did coop as host on another character once, and it just felt bad, lol.

Kind wish she was less susceptible to stun and if you tried to parry her too much she'd parry the shit out of you in retaliation.
Yeah good point.

My apologizes. I didn't read her entire comment.

No big. I'd never bag on someone for parrying, though. (Maybe very slightly if they're parry-fishing at a safe range, but there's no safe range against Maria's second and third phases that I can see.)

I personally say there's nothing that better defines a Hunter than staring a screaming Madmen in a Defiled Chalice Dungeon square in the eyes and putting a bullet between them when he charges in to one-shot you.

Looks like no sword for me.

That's super lame. I feel like they made an honest attempt to avoid having players be able to screw themselves out of getting weapons this time around.
I know I fucked up Simon's quest about as bad as you possibly can, but was still able to double-back on it and get the Bowblade.

There might be some solution that hasn't immediately made itself obvious, such as the sword being on one of the corpses of the principles involved
(Ludwig's head, the Harrowed Hunter in his cell, or Simon's final resting spot in the Fishing Hamlet
despite it being somewhat nonsensical for it to have "bamfed" there. If not, then it's an unfortunate oversight, because I really don't think they meant for it to be possible for you to get locked out of getting it entirely.

That's super lame. I feel like they made an honest attempt to avoid having players be able to screw themselves out of getting weapons this time around.
I know I fucked up Simon's quest about as bad as you possibly can, but was still able to double-back on it and get the Bowblade.

There might be some solution that hasn't immediately made itself obvious, such as the sword being on one of the corpses of the principles involved
(Ludwig's head, the Harrowed Hunter in his cell, or Simon's final resting spot in the Fishing Hamlet
despite it being somewhat nonsensical for it to have "bamfed" there. If not, then it's an unfortunate oversight, because I really don't think they meant for it to be possible for you to get locked out of getting it entirely.

Yeah I reloaded but couldn't find it at the spots. I'm not really mad as this is a new character (got it on my old one lol) but it sucks I guess.

myco666

not feeling the simon bowblade. the blade part is easily the worst weapon in the game, the bow part is cool, but it doesnt do half as much damage at +8 as my repeating pistol at +9 with bone marrow ash. I guess it uses half the bullets but it just doesnt provide the same ease of transfer that the chikage and pistol do. Am I the only one who feels htis way...have seen lots of postive for bowblade so far? I guess the range is also substantially longer?

I didn't like it at first but now that I've used it a lot it is actually pretty decent with 50/50 Skill/BT. R1 Arrows do around 350 damage, R2 around 450 and charged R2s around 700 damage. It needs a high investment in stats though since you need rather high End so that you can get more shots out without depleting your whole stamina bar. Blade form isn't even that bad when you get used to it. It has decent damage and the speed is okay.

How do I do that? Can't even lock on

There's a cliff overlooking the cavern in the well that has a corpse with an item hanging off it. As you might expect, you can get up there later on, and fire down into the well.

You can also dig into your bag of hunter tricks for some poison knives and shaman bone blades, both of which should work well. (I imagine Bolt Paper would also be effective since they're fish and also Kin-related, but there are enemies around there that use lightning attacks, so maybe not...)

gogosox82

Well I'll try to get those dudes in the well tomorrow I guess. That jumping into flailing attack is ridiculous. There's literally nowhere to go if they do that move. Does parrying/bs work on these guys? I haven't been able to try it yet.

Well I'll try to get those dudes in the well tomorrow I guess. That jumping into flailing attack is ridiculous. There's literally nowhere to go if they do that move. Does parrying/bs work on these guys? I haven't been able to try it yet.

On the giant sharks? yes you can parry them

Probably can't parry the belly-flop, but you can parry their normal melee.

LiK

Woohoo, final boss killed in second try. Thanks to two randoms who joined in to help. That guy was no joke. Got all trophies. I can move on. Fun DLC. Too bad there won't be anymore expansions after this.

Top Bottom