• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

laxu

Best way to handle the brain trusts in hamlet?

Be prepared with sedatives, high frenzy resist armor/runes and use Ludwig two handed mode to take them out. Then you might have just enough time to use the sedative or alternatively if you have high enough health you can eat the frenzy while hacking at the second enemy. I've got it down to so that I can take them both out but only get hit by frenzy once.

I never got the parry timing on their grab quite right so I found the Ludwig sword was the faster and better option. Basically you want something that staggers them so they can't do the grab attack.

laxu

Probably can't parry the belly-flop, but you can parry their normal melee.

You can parry the belly flop but it has to be done right before they dive and usually you're too far away to do a visceral. Hard to get right and if you miss it you're sure to eat at least one hit.

Seriously overpowered enemy, they should have half the health bar considering how dangerous moves they have.

laxu

Are there any buffs, armor, elemental damage or specific weapons that are good against OoK? I've so far been using the Burial Blade with a slight bolt buff (just to keep them from doing anything for a moment) but I've only got to phase 2 with it a few times.

Tingle

Are there any buffs, armor, elemental damage or specific weapons that are good against OoK? I've so far been using the Burial Blade with a slight bolt buff (just to keep them from doing anything for a moment) but I've only got to phase 2 with it a few times.

I haven't tried it myself, but I heard fire buffs are good against him.

Honestly, the biggest thing for that fight to me was taking it slow. When he goes into Phase 2, make sure you stay the hell away from the splotches of blood, because they are going to explode. For the lightning, dodge into it twice.

Also, parry him like there is no tomorrow.

I looked around for a vanilla Bloodborne thread but couldn't find a recent one.

Tried to take on the
BSB
by my lonesome for the first time earlier and was doing great until out of nowhere it
chomped on my head
and basically one-shotted me. I lost a ton of xp and time... what's the best way to deal with that kind of frustration?

WeTeHa

I looked around for a vanilla Bloodborne thread but couldn't find a recent one.

Tried to take on the
BSB
by my lonesome for the first time earlier and was doing great until out of nowhere it
chomped on my head
and basically one-shotted me. I lost a ton of xp and time... what's the best way to deal with that kind of frustration?

I'm currently playing through Bloodborne for the first time as well, so I understand some of your frustration. I actually lost about 60k echoes in the nightmare frontier yesterday. To me, it wasn't as big a deal, as I currently have quite a bit of free time. When I was playing Demon's Souls, I only had a few hours every week, and dying repeatedly to a boss (and therefore not making any actual progress) actually made me stop playing the game. I think much of the frustration depends on the amount of game time you have (at least for me). The XP isn't that big of a problem, you can easily farm that. If you don't have a lot of time, I think it's better to just summon some help instead of being frustrated and then not enjoying the game.

However, I think, for a boss, if you have a lot of echoes, it is better to use a bold hunters mark, spend the echoes and then quickly run back to the boss. Due to the level design of the souls games, if you unlocked the shortcuts, it's quite easy to get to most bosses. there's actually a fairly convenient short cut in Old Yharnam right at the beginning that lets you get to the boss in about a minute or so.

Shin-chan

Does anyone have a link to a good lore video for the new content? I just beat the final boss and just have Lawrence to go now. Very curious about how everything here ties into the base game.

LiK

Does anyone have a link to a good lore video for the new content? I just beat the final boss and just have Lawrence to go now. Very curious about how everything here ties into the base game.

i think VaatiVidya did some lore videos recently.

I'm currently playing through Bloodborne for the first time as well, so I understand some of your frustration. I actually lost about 60k echoes in the nightmare frontier yesterday. To me, it wasn't as big a deal, as I currently have quite a bit of free time. When I was playing Demon's Souls, I only had a few hours every week, and dying repeatedly to a boss (and therefore not making any actual progress) actually made me stop playing the game. I think much of the frustration depends on the amount of game time you have (at least for me). The XP isn't that big of a problem, you can easily farm that. If you don't have a lot of time, I think it's better to just summon some help instead of being frustrated and then not enjoying the game.

However, I think, for a boss, if you have a lot of echoes, it is better to use a bold hunters mark, spend the echoes and then quickly run back to the boss. Due to the level design of the souls games, if you unlocked the shortcuts, it's quite easy to get to most bosses. there's actually a fairly convenient short cut in Old Yharnam right at the beginning that lets you get to the boss in about a minute or so.

Thanks for the reply! This is the exact problem I have. Limited hours and major setbacks make me want to stop playing. But I love the world of the game and exploring.

I guess I need to find the Old Yharnam shortcut because I took a fairly long and confusing route to him that first time. When I tried to retrace my steps and run back real quick I got cornered by a mob and died again.

Mephala

Thanks for the reply! This is the exact problem I have. Limited hours and major setbacks make me want to stop playing. But I love the world of the game and exploring.

I guess I need to find the Old Yharnam shortcut because I took a fairly long and confusing route to him that first time. When I tried to retrace my steps and run back real quick I got cornered by a mob and died again.

If you want a hint on where the last shortcut is.
The building where the wolf busts out of the door.

dan2026

I do think they went way over the top with the boss damage in this game at times.

There seem to be many bosses now that can comfortably kill you in 2 or 3 hits.
Or on harder difficulties just straight up instant kill you.

There is a stiff challenge and then there is becoming absurd and unfun.

myco666

you're welcome :) that fight is so fun too coop.

I like that fight too but when you do only 150 damage per hit it isn't that much fun lol.

edit. Now my Arcane build is complete. It is so beautiful. I guess I should go farm some better Arc gems for the Parasite but it actually does 'decent' damage already (around 300 per hit). Anyone have good gem setup for it?

Tingle

I like that fight too but when you do only 150 damage per hit it isn't that much fun lol.

edit. Now my Arcane build is complete. It is so beautiful. I guess I should go farm some better Arc gems for the Parasite but it actually does 'decent' damage already (around 300 per hit). Anyone have good gem setup for it?

Make sure you get Arc percent ups!

The game will lie and say the Arc Atk+ are better, but the percent ones do more damage on every single attack for me.

Ferr986

i dunno about the parasite. Nourishing gems works better for my Moonlight sword though.

This Chalice 8q6pkpqx have two gargolyes just after the second lamp, easy to farm. The best nourishing comes from Chalice Amy, more of a pain to farm....

myco666

Make sure you get Arc percent ups!

The game will lie and say the Arc Atk+ are better, but the percent ones do more damage on every single attack for me.

I have Atk +15%, Arcane Atk +18% and some other one that I don't remember. It is either flat damage or low percentage up. It seems fine at NG but I don't think it will be enough for NG+.

i dunno about the parasite. Nourishing gems works better for my Moonlight sword though.

This Chalice 8q6pkpqx have two gargolyes just after the second lamp, easy to farm. The best nourishing comes from Chalice Amy, more of a pain to farm....

Thanks for sharing! Will check out later.

Tingle

I have Atk +15%, Arcane Atk +18% and some other one that I don't remember. It is either flat damage or low percentage up. It seems fine at NG but I don't think it will be enough for NG+.

Thanks for sharing! Will check out later.

Also, when using the parasite, try to use it like a whip- you don't have much reason to want to get in enemy's faces- poke them with the tip of the tentacles.

The best thing about it is its heavy poise damage- it can make everything flinch pretty easily. Obviously its major downside is how slow it is.

Finally, when searching for gems, keep in mind that it has insanely high durability- its at 600 points, which is roughly 3 times everything else. I use durability down gems with no issue whatsoever due to that.

RiggyRob

Episode 11, Pimmsy vs. Rom the Vacuous Spider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLNOIosGU-g

Pimmsy struggled quite a bit with this fight, summoned Mensis Scholar Damien for quite a few tries until she said fuck it, decided to bumrush her and managed to win. I think she despises add fights as much as I do.

Although I understand why, I wish Vicar Amelia or Master Willem had more to do with the DLC, it would've been nice to see some references when you're fighting
Laurence

Curufinwe

Awsesome! I tried to use the tunnel and the arrows but I couldnt get him in range?!?!? I guess if you engage him first then climb the ladder out he will be in a different spot? Regardless, I just went back to the repeating pistol and BMA and indeed finsied the job with the shaman blade. I hope you recorded your strat. I would like to see it. Here is how I finally did it.

I didn't, but yes I had to go down the well first to aggro him, then run up to the light house lamp. I got killed by the combo of the big guy and the purple skulls a bunch of times doing that before I realized I should start at the light house lamp so I could kill the purple skull Mage first, then go to the well, then come back up.

Ferr986

Well, with my 3rd character running the DLC, I did get the new doll dialogue. I did it the same way than the other characters, so I think it's indeed bugged and doesn't always trigger.

Kurtofan

Is there a bug with the trophies? I've got every weapons from the dlc and it doesn't pop up.

edit: nevermind, there's one you have to buy, got it now.

Ferr986

Btw, is the bow good for a pure Bloodtinge character?

I don't have any SKL more than for wielding Chikage and I know the sword mode is only SKL, but I wonder if the Bow is good enough to level it up to +10 (with 50 BT) .

Norse360

Gonna ring in a sec

If you still didn't got him I'll help too

edit: ringing here because no one summoned at the Astral Clock :/

Thx, but I got disconnected :(. I managed to kill her though. Up until then I hadn't been even close, but suddenly I got everything right and she barely touched me...

Curufinwe

No one fighting Laurence right now. I'll try again tonight.

One last try with a solid partner and he's dead. Just like with Ludwig my buddy died and I had to finish him off on my own.

These sharks are really wearing me out. Probably my only irritating encounter of the whole game. They're the only things holding me back from going into NG++++ cause I am *not* trying them there lol.

It's happened 3 times because where I've got the last one to a pixel left and then it run up and eat me. Instant death.

I thought I was going to pass out from holding in screams.

Anyone to help on Maria? Ringing at her door
NG or NG+? I can prob help out if its NG, perhaps NG+. Lets set the password as GAFHUNT if its either of those 2.

edit:eek:utside ringing the bell.

edit2: been here awhile and noting yet. let me know if you still need help later.
These sharks are really wearing me out. Probably my only irritating encounter of the whole game. They're the only things holding me back from going into NG++++ cause I am *not* trying them there lol.

It's happened 3 times because where I've got the last one to a pixel left and then it run up and eat me. Instant death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wybroWzTQNA

ironcreed

Banned

Sharks? Oh god.

Bowler

You get it from
Harrowed Hunter questline. You need to talk to him near the first lamp of the DLC first. Then he appears next to Research Hall lamp and you need to talk to him and after that he should be near the Lighthouse Hut lamp.
So if you can't find him anywhere you can't get it until next NG cycle.

i talked to him both times at research and opening area, he is know where to be found around the lighthouse. first lamp or lighthouse second lamp?

Just cheese them :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQO-NumVrw

myco666

Also, when using the parasite, try to use it like a whip- you don't have much reason to want to get in enemy's faces- poke them with the tip of the tentacles.

The best thing about it is its heavy poise damage- it can make everything flinch pretty easily. Obviously its major downside is how slow it is.

Finally, when searching for gems, keep in mind that it has insanely high durability- its at 600 points, which is roughly 3 times everything else. I use durability down gems with no issue whatsoever due to that.

It feels like a Str weapon in terms of speed and poise damage which I am already used to. The moveset is just weird though and L2 seems to be only for PVP. It didn't do that much damage against enemies in Mensis.

Wow it has that high durability? Definitely will slot some gems that might have durability down if they have good damage ups.

Grimløck;188128060 said:
damn. are you going pure arc?

Yeah. 30Vit 50Arc and some Endurance so that I can use weapons like Tonitrus. Easily worst build choice when you consider the amount of work you need to put into it. Using Tools is fun though.

edit.
Also Bowblade against Ebrietas is probably most unfair match I've done. 1500 damage with R2 charge to head. No need to buy BMA or have to worry about missing a buffed shot.

NEO0MJ

Did a bit of grinding and I'm doing much better against
Ludwig's first form. His extended drop attack still OHKO me but I dodge it pretty consistently. Second form is my problem now. Gotta learn to dodge him better in it. That move with the giant explosion is a horror.

zma1013

It feels like a Str weapon in terms of speed and poise damage which I am already used to. The moveset is just weird though and L2 seems to be only for PVP. It didn't do that much damage against enemies in Mensis.

Wow it has that high durability? Definitely will slot some gems that might have durability down if they have good damage ups.

Yeah. 30Vit 50Arc and some Endurance so that I can use weapons like Tonitrus. Easily worst build choice when you consider the amount of work you need to put into it. Using Tools is fun though.

So how is that sprayer weapon though with that much Arcane?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Did a bit of grinding and I'm doing much better against
Ludwig's first form. His extended drop attack still OHKO me but I dodge it pretty consistently. Second form is my problem now. Gotta learn to dodge him better in it. That move with the giant explosion is a horror.

The move where he charges up his sword? Just circle behind him and stay there.

myco666

So how is that sprayer weapon though with that much Arcane?

Rosmarinus or Flamesprayer? Still need to get them up to +10 to see how good they actually are but +6 Flamesprayer + Oil Urn with 30Arc against Rom is really OP. You can just burn her to death without having to deal with other phases.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The two inside that cave is pissing me off.
Sneak attack the shark while it's patrolling and back off to the other side of the pillar cutting off line of sight. It'll get bored and go back to patrolling. Sneak attack it again and repeat. When it starts to back off around half health, quickly hit it with the bone blade and the two will fight each other.

Top Bottom