• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

MilkBeard

I really wish this wasn't the last DLC for Bloodborne. It feels like a bittersweet goodbye. Hope FromSoftware and Japan Studio team up again soon...

laxu

Finally got Laurence in NG+, solo! Took first half with +10 Pizza Cutter buffed with beast pellets and the second with +9 Bowblade again with beast pellets, just shot at him from afar and ran to the other side of the room when he started clawing too close. Was left with 1 vial and 1 bullet at the end.

Now I only have to take care of OoK but so far his second phase always gets me. Hard to get a hit in because he's either too far away or doing a 3-4 hit combo which usually one shots me.

Got all the weapons and the last trophy. Yay! What's the consensus on the best new weapons? I'd like to change it up from the threaded cane which I've literally been using since March. Moonlight sword seems cool but I can't wield it as my arcane stats are far too low and I'm level 165 so it would take absolutely forever to get to the needed level.

Got all the weapons and the last trophy. Yay! What's the consensus on the best new weapons? I'd like to change it up from the threaded cane which I've literally been using since March. Moonlight sword seems cool but I can't wield it as my arcane stats are far too low and I'm level 165 so it would take absolutely forever to get to the needed level.
Best strength weapon is the pizza cutter.

Shin-chan

For Skill builds the Rakuyo and Church Pick are good fun. I haven't tried the Bowblade yet as it is equally a blood weapon.

Church Pick is like the Lucern Hammer in Dark Souls as its a halberd that does piercing damage, but with a unique and cool 1H sword moveset.

WeTeHa

Killed Witch of Hemwick and Shadow of Yharnam.

The witch was by far the easiest boss fight of the game so far. I don't think i was even hit once. I don't even know what the moveset looks like apart from summoning those black guys and shooting glowing stuff that can be easily dodged.

Shadow of Yharnam was great. Maybe my favourite boss fight so far. Almost got them on my first try but got killed by one of those giant snakes that shoot out of the ground. Had no idea what was happening :p
The forbidden woods is an amazing area. I love exploring dark woods, wish more games had them. Fuck those giant ass snake balls though.

I was really surprised about the cutscene outside the witch house with the carriage to cainhurst castle. Also, I guess I have to re-explore some already cleared areas, as I was running through the tomb of oedon and ran into a crazy hunter that almost killed me when a friendly hunter showed up and helped me. Apparently there's a lot of hidden stuff that can be easily missed.

I also cleared the first chalice dungeon. Maybe I was already overleveled for that area because the Undead Giant/Merciless Watcher/Watch Dog of the Old Lords bosses were all pretty easy.

A friend of mine was watching me play (he already completed the game several times, so he knows it pretty well) and he told me to attack that bloody guy on top of the mill. Man, what a crazy fight. Amazing monster design.

Great stuff so far. Next up: Cainhurst, nightmare frontier (screw frenzy!) and whatever happens after Shadow of Yharnam.

Quick question though: There is a door in the forbidden woods in one of the earlier huts (next to the pit you can/will fall into). How can I get that door open? So far, I haven't found a way to get to the other side.

Shadow of Yharnam is pretty much one of those traditional 3-foe boss battles from Castlevania.

While I maintain that Bloodborne shares plenty in common with Castlevania and aspects of Metroid, if From ever made Castlevania proper I don't know what would happen to me.

laxu

• Pizza cutter is fun against any bigger/slower enemies like bosses. Just so satisfying slaughtering Ebrietas with it before he could barely do anything in his second phase.
  • Rakuyo is great for normal enemies, anything fast-ish really like hunters or Mergo's Loft: Middle Shadow of Yharnams.
  • Bowblade is good against bosses but haven't found much use for it outside those fights.
  • A bit disappointed in Beast Cutter. I wanted it for a crowd control weapon but just can't seem to get enough damage out of it and it is pretty slow. Wish I hadn't put my chunks in it.

I'm still happiest with my Ludwig and Burial Blade. Burial Blade is great against anything but bosses since you can't add a fire/bolt buff to it apart from adding it with a gem - even a slight bolt attack on it is actually pretty great. With my +10 Ludwig with fairly good gems (22-18% physical) when buffed with beast pellets and bolt I took out Celestial Emissary with about 5 hits of the two handed mode in NG+.

laxu

Best echoes farming location still seems to be Lecture building first floor. In maybe 20 minutes on NG+ with all Moon runes equipped I managed to get about 1.7 million echoes by just killing the theater with lots of enemies and then using Bold Hunter's Mark to go again. Alas, all that amount got me at this point was about 5 levels (now I have 50/40/50/50/40/43 stats).

How the hell are you supposed to dodge Maria's super blood beam moves?

Every time they hit me.

Time it perfectly lol

Killed Witch of Hemwick and Shadow of Yharnam.

Quick question though: There is a door in the forbidden woods in one of the earlier huts (next to the pit you can/will fall into). How can I get that door open? So far, I haven't found a way to get to the other side.

That door is just a shortcut from the oil swamp where the guys throw molotovs at you. Nothing important there.

laxu

Every time they hit me.
Stay close so she doesn't do the worst ones and learn to recognize the timing for that blood "ray" attack, it's fairly easy to dodge then and a great time to do some damage.

myco666

Every time they hit me.

By timing your dodges correctly. Not much else to say really. You just need to learn how long it takes her to charge that attack and dodge little bit earlier than she does it. I feel like lot of other bosses have similiar 'delayed' attacks with almost same timing if that helps.

edit.
Ahh you beat her already. Oh well have fun with the next area and boss.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hope the pizza cutter won't get nerfed. It probably should, but it's just so much fun right now.

Well, gotta enjoy it while it lasts at least. xD

Unrelated, but is it just me or does the boss music during the Living Failures remind anyone else of Star Wars music?

My god I just tried to beat her with 2 other hunters.

She destroyed us. This DLC man.
How? She's really tough to solo but I find that coop ruins that fight, trivializes it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I finally decided to do "all" chalices on a character to farm some of those high phys % gems for my Church Pick.

I still like the weapon but my 50 skill, gemmed church pick seems to do less damage than my other character with sub-60 ARC ungemmed kos parasite.

Unless I'm against Celestial Emissary :^)

Levito

Banned
Ok, I'm on New Game +4 and I'm having SOOOOO much trouble with the Orphan boss. Is there anyone here that can help me?

PSN is Levito1

Goddamn I'll buy you a $10 game on Steam to whoever can get me through this lol

Ferr986

Ok, I'm on New Game +4 and I'm having SOOOOO much trouble with the Orphan boss. Is there anyone here that can help me?

PSN is Levito1

Goddamn I'll buy you a $10 game on Steam to whoever can get me through this lol

if you still need help I can help you (don't worry, won't require a Steam game lol)

Draper

So I've been using Ludwig +10 throughout everything. I have it set up with gems for pure physical upgrades: 200+612. Is there a more preferable way to set up this weapon or is straight physical the way to go?

Finalow

at first I thought the password was working for PVP too and I also thought I was invading gaf parties but alas, I was not.
and it really sucks, tbh. could have been fun

I think you get unique dialog after beating
Ludwig
and the last DLC boss also.
I missed the one after you beat L.

just curious, what does she say?

Top Bottom