• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Sullichin

Moonlight Sword at +10 with 20.3%/18%/18% gems has an impressive 779atk with 39str/50skl/30arc. My build is hardly specced for it and it's still a beast, going to bring STR to 50.

Finally platinumed the game.

Queen Yharnam was a pushover. Literally every other boss in the final 2 chalices were tougher than her. That half-health dungeon is a dirty trick and I honestly only finished because of the moonlight blade.

She's kind of just a gimmick battle, yeah. A gimmick you can hilariously refuse to participate in entirely with many of the weapons now in the game.

gogosox82

Queen Yharnam was a pushover. Literally every other boss in the final 2 chalices were tougher than her. That half-health dungeon is a dirty trick and I honestly only finished because of the moonlight blade.

Gotta agree. All of the bosses in Ithyl were a joke compared to half health Amy.

Interesting. I remember watching Brad from Giant Bomb go for the plat and it looked brutal and I think it scared me off of doing it but I'm doing the chalice dungeons for the plat (yep, over 300 hours on this game and still haven't platinumed it) and I really didn't think the cursed chalice dungeon you need for the platinum was all that bad. Yeah, you get one or two shot but I didn't think the bosses were that bad. The boss I died to the most was Watchdog(think he killed me twice). Maybe I'm crazy but I really didn't think they were too bad. I was using Ludwigs so maybe that why but I wasn't hitting for crazy numbers damage wise. I'll post the videos when I done playing so people can see.

Question: for the last chalice I need red jelly and living string. Where do I get these at?

Curufinwe

I love the game but I just can't be fucked doing the final dungeons. I'm not even sure how many I have left and all the things you need confuse me. And I can never get any co-op partners when I'm stuck in Chalice bosses.

Quick question: how much (if any) of the DLC affects the state of the main campaign? Like will I be progressing the night or missing out on quest progression like Eileen the Crow's if I begin The Old Hunters? Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, just trying to avoid inadvertently spoiling myself.

gogosox82

Quick question: how much (if any) of the DLC affects the state of the main campaign? Like will I be progressing the night or missing out on quest progression like Eileen the Crow's if I begin The Old Hunters? Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, just trying to avoid inadvertently spoiling myself.

As long as you do the quests before going to the woods, you should be fine.

Beat
Lady Maria, solo!
GODDAMN I feel like a badass.

The next part is wrecking me like I just started playing the damn game. Much as been said about
Shark Dudes
but fuuuck. That well can stay there forever, I'm never going back down. And then another one right up the hill? Just blitzed past him, nope nope nope.

FHIZ

It took me hours to beat the jerks at the bottom of the well and get that weapon, and it took me one try to beat the final boss of the DLC... go figure.

And then another one right up the hill? Just blitzed past him, nope nope nope.

Hah. Yuuuuuuup. Lantern was right there, screw that. Had a brief moment of panic when it looked like he was going to clip through to me at the lantern.

It took me hours to beat the jerks at the bottom of the well and get that weapon, and it took me one try to beat the final boss of the DLC... go figure.

Hah. Yuuuuuuup. Lantern was right there, screw that. Had a brief moment of panic when it looked like he was going to clip through to me at the lantern.

Seriously, F that. They track for a WHILE, too! That bellyslide is awful stuff.

Meckaj

Neo Member
Farming Arcane radials for the parasite is making me go seriously hollow.

300+ kills of Brainsuckers and Bone Ash Hunters and I've gotten one arcane gem to drop. And of course there's a chance that even if I get a drop it'll be useless.

Anyone interested in the weapon should prepare themselves.

Levito

Banned
Can anyone help me get the final weapon I need in the fishing hamlet? I need help killing those two giant fish men in the well.

DedValve

Banned
Anyone wanna help me take down Ludwig the accursed?

EDIT: Wow, I summoned someone with a sawwheel like weapon and they made short work of ludwig. I barely got 2-3 slashes in before he fell down.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
how do I get more bone blades? I wasted over 100 vials and bullets trying ;___;

or if someone could carry me that would be great too

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
When you farm chalice dungeons, do you have to remake the chalice each time and have the mats? If so, sounds kinda painful.

No. Once you unlock dungeons of specific type, including its variations such as Cursed, Fetid, etc etc, you can just recreate those dungeons of the same type without materials, either by specifying when you create a dungeon or when you enter a glyph code.

No. Once you unlock dungeons of specific type, including its variations such as Cursed, Fetid, etc etc, you can just recreate those dungeons of the same type without materials, either by specifying when you create a dungeon or when you enter a glyph code.
Okay cool, that sounds way better. Off to grind!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
how do I get more bone blades? I wasted over 100 vials and bullets trying ;___;

or if someone could carry me that would be great too
The insight bath sells 'em. Since insight is kinda useless and easy to obtain, you could always buy some there.

I once accidentally spent 99 insight on 99 shaman bone blades, LOL. I pressed the d-pad to just refill my current inventory, thinking it'd take the max of 3, forgetting that it stashes the rest in the box. Oops. (This character is in NG+3 and is back at 99 insight already... lol)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay cool, that sounds way better. Off to grind!

Yeah I need to do this as well.

FROM Software, in its oh-so-infinite wisdom, decides that you can only find 1 Blood Rock in the main game per playthrough (well, 2, now with the DLC, but holy shit it's right at the far end of the DLC), while they gave you like 20 different toys you can play around with.

Not to mention Blood Chunks uhhhrgh. They're not as hard to farm, but certainly can be very boring :(

FROM Software, in its oh-so-infinite wisdom, decides that you can only find 1 Blood Rock in the main game per playthrough (well, 2, now with the DLC, but holy shit it's right at the far end of the DLC), while they gave you like 20 different toys you can play around with.

Not to mention Blood Chunks uhhhrgh. They're not as hard to farm, but certainly can be very boring :(

You can find them in chalice dungeons too

EDIT: but you probably already know that

I may be alone in this, but I also wish there was a respec item in game. Even if it was just1/2 per play-through. I hate having to start new characters try try out new weapons/builds.

DLC should end with him. Lots of people are stuck with that boss still
Fuck
Ludwig
man. I'm ashamed to say that he's the only boss I've had to summon for in BB. Mainly because I wanted to get on with the DLC...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You can find them in chalice dungeons too

EDIT: but you probably already know that

Repeatable Blood Rock drop from a boss is all RNG play and it is always located at the bottom-most level of a dungeon.

It can be a pain :/

I may be alone in this, but I also wish there was a respec item in game. Even if it was just1/2 per play-through. I hate having to start new characters try try out new weapons/builds.

Oh I assure you you're not alone. However, I am way more concerned about the lack of resources required and the necessity to commit pain in the arse farming to play around with weapons tho. That 30 insights requirement for Blood Chunks is just insane.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I actually love starting new builds...

It's really the overall necessity of needing to go to Chalice if you want to optimize your characters over and over and over and over again that really bums me out. Oh how I wished at least gems can be transferred with your storage between characters :(

I am also now officially regretting that I didn't make use of the duplicate glitch back then to amass a huge number of Blood Chunks and Rocks, like many of the streamers of this game have done, hahah.................. :(

Farming Arcane radials for the parasite is making me go seriously hollow.

300+ kills of Brainsuckers and Bone Ash Hunters and I've gotten one arcane gem to drop. And of course there's a chance that even if I get a drop it'll be useless.

Anyone interested in the weapon should prepare themselves.

What dungeon are you using and are you killing the Brainsucker boss. Bosses are a guarantee to drop Arcane gems, provided your looking in the right place. Also you want to use Flat Arcane gems for the Parasite not %up. Use this glyph, 8y2wes5u, and farm the Brainsucker in the boss lever room. Youll get an arcane drop damn near every time if you have the eye runes on.

Anyone who needs glpyhs for gems/runes needs to check out this spreadsheet. Bloodborne Sheets

Meckaj

Neo Member
What dungeon are you using and are you killing the Brainsucker boss. Bosses are a guarantee to drop Arcane gems, provided your looking in the right place. Also you want to use Flat Arcane gems for the Parasite not %up. Use this glyph, 8y2wes5u, and farm the Brainsucker in the boss lever room. Youll get an arcane drop damn near every time if you have the eye runes on.]

Using r67m7z6i for two brainsucker enemies in the lever room for arc % / flat arc + gems and got a triangle arcane gem from ba362b97. The triangle isn't hard since they are very common, but the problem is the radial gems. I could farm the brainsucker boss for a wrong shaped one, but the drop rate on those is as awful. Only got three wrong shaped gems from the brainsuckers during the runs and doing that on a boss is pretty annoying.

As far as I've read around, arcane % up gems are better for the single hit attacks and arc % / flat arc + gems are better for the multihits like L2. So the plan is to have two arc + / flat arc gems and one arc % up for some balance since the multihits do alright damage already but the others feel a bit weak. Just having trouble getting the second radial to drop.

Valus

Just started playing this game for the first time, never played a souls game before and I die so much. I've been stuck on the first checkpoint for like two days now. I know people said this game makes you die a lot but this is ridiculous. Is the cane starter weapon garbage? I do so little damage to bigger enemies, and since I can't stun them the whip form seems totally worthless against them. I just feel like I have to needleprick them to death. I got as far as the sewer area so far, and it just keeps getting harder and harder...

What am I doing wrong?

Using r67m7z6i for two brainsucker enemies in the lever room for arc % / flat arc + gems and got a triangle arcane gem from ba362b97. The triangle isn't hard since they are very common, but the problem is the radial gems. I could farm the brainsucker boss for a wrong shaped one, but the drop rate on those is as awful. Only got three wrong shaped gems from the brainsuckers during the runs and doing that on a boss is pretty annoying.

As far as I've read around, arcane % up gems are better for the single hit attacks and arc % / flat arc + gems are better for the multihits like L2. So the plan is to have two arc + / flat arc gems and one arc % up for some balance since the multihits do alright damage already but the others feel a bit weak. Just having trouble getting the second radial to drop.

Looked it up and yes you are indeed right about the single hit, multi hit stuff. I need to reevaluate my build lol. And yea getting a radial Arcane % is a pain in the ass. I dont know how many times ive been killed by bone Ash Hunters.

Just started playing this game for the first time, never played a souls game before and I die so much. I've been stuck on the first checkpoint for like two days now. I know people said this game makes you die a lot but this is ridiculous. Is the cane starter weapon garbage? I do so little damage to bigger enemies, and since I can't stun them the whip form seems totally worthless against them. I just feel like I have to needleprick them to death. I got as far as the sewer area so far, and it just keeps getting harder and harder...

What am I doing wrong?

You need to look for shortcuts and play cautiously. The cane starter weapon is fine, provided you chose a class with higher Skill. The Strength stat makes heavier weapons do more damage and the Skill stat makes lighter weapons do more damage. Once you start leveling up and upgrading your weapon the damage increase will be noticeable. You do both the house at the dream.

The little counter beneath your blood echo amount is insight. Once you meet a boss or use a Madman's Knowledge youll gain 1 insight. At that point you can use Echos to level up in the dream.

I suggest going back to Central Yharnam and searching that bridge with Werewolves for paths.

Sawneeks

Banned

What am I doing wrong?

My memory may be wrong but I think the Cane is considered the weakest starting weapon. I would suggest the Axe as you can get some stun in there. Besides that it's all down to practice! Learning when and where too dodge helps out a ton. :)

Cane's pretty strong against bosses because it can both serrate and castigate, but the moveset isn't as easy to abuse for dealing with normal encounters. You pretty much have to learn to dodge and parry if you want to make it work for you.

Much easier to just take the Hunter's Axe and spin to win, even if it's a bit underwhelming on bosses. Saw Cleaver's a nice middle ground.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cane's pretty strong against bosses because it can both serrate and castigate, but the moveset isn't as easy to abuse for dealing with normal encounters. You pretty much have to learn to dodge and parry if you want to make it work for you.

Much easier to just take the Hunter's Axe and spin to win, even if it's a bit underwhelming on bosses. Saw Cleaver's a nice middle ground.

Cane's R2 whip form has a surprisingly good stagger power, especially against humanoid enemies.

It has everything: fast, rapid attacks that can stunlock, serrated damage, thrust damage so you are strong against alien enemies like the brain sucker, etc etc, and it can be buffed too. Truly one of the most devastating weapons in my honest opinion, though it requires a bit of time to truly shine.

Top Bottom