• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Finally platinumed the game.

Queen Yharnam was a pushover. Literally every other boss in the final 2 chalices were tougher than her. That half-health dungeon is a dirty trick and I honestly only finished because of the moonlight blade.

Yeah, she wasn't too bad but I thought it was a really cool fight. And I got a Blood Rock for beating her. Is that normal?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I loaded up my character I beat NG with originally and just beelined for the dlc and the first boss was rough holy crap. I was originally playing NG+ dlc as a level 95 character and just getting smeared across the floor. Since I refuse to summon, I eventually just played until I got to the hemlick lane or whatever that place is called so I could grind up to more like 110 and finally took him down.

I really wish they just let you buy bloodstone chunks on NG+ and above. I didn't look up the new weapons beforehand and I found one that seemed cool, used all my chunks to get it to +9, and then 2 minutes later found a better weapon for my build which I now can't use because I can't upgrade it and I have 0 access to chunks since I never bothered with chalice dungeons and am at the 'beginning' of the game =\

In general I wish the souls games were better about letting you play with all the different weapons. Just let me use my bloodstone shards/chunks to forge a +9 emblem that I can attach to any weapons and when I want to change things up swap my +9 to a different weapon or something.

I loaded up my character I beat NG with originally and just beelined for the dlc and the first boss was rough holy crap. I was originally playing NG+ dlc as a level 95 character and just getting smeared across the floor. Since I refuse to summon, I eventually just played until I got to the hemlick lane or whatever that place is called so I could grind up to more like 110 and finally took him down.

I really wish they just let you buy bloodstone chunks on NG+ and above. I didn't look up the new weapons beforehand and I found one that seemed cool, used all my chunks to get it to +9, and then 2 minutes later found a better weapon for my build which I now can't use because I can't upgrade it and I have 0 access to chunks since I never bothered with chalice dungeons and am at the 'beginning' of the game =\

In general I wish the souls games were better about letting you play with all the different weapons. Just let me use my bloodstone shards/chunks to forge a +9 emblem that I can attach to any weapons and when I want to change things up swap my +9 to a different weapon or something.

You can but they cost 30 Insight. Being able to buy them with blood echoes would be great.

Ferr986

Well you helped me to get OoK down with my shitty build so I think we are even haha.

It all boils down to our shitty builds lol

I can't believe I'm thinking on bringing her down to the Chalice rabbit hole again (5th time). FROM is going to kill me with their grind.

slayn

You can but they cost 30 Insight. Being able to buy them with blood echoes would be great.
I read that elsewhere but when I checked the insight shop there were no chunks. I'm guessing you have to progress far enough in the main game that chunks are supposed to be available. That said, at 30 insight per it wouldn't be useful anyway.

Sephzilla

I read that elsewhere but when I checked the insight shop there were no chunks. I'm guessing you have to progress far enough in the main game that chunks are supposed to be available. That said, at 30 insight per it wouldn't be useful anyway.

if you have a high item discovery stat you can grind them out fairly easily from the blue-eyed wolves in Upper Cathedral Ward

They should be there from the start in NG+. And yeah, at that price, they're only worth buying if you have a lot of Insight to waste.

if you have a high item discovery stat you can grind them out fairly easily from the blue-eyed wolves in Upper Cathedral Ward

I've tried this a few times with two Eye runes equipped and came up short. I guess I need more Arcane.

slayn

All the grinding spots also require that you be further in the game. I only want to play the dlc and use the new weapons that came with said dlc. I'm not interested in replaying through the main game just to get to chunk farming spots and then grind those spots before finally playing the content I just paid for.

All the grinding spots also require that you be further in the game. I only want to play the dlc and use the new weapons that came with said dlc. I'm not interested in replaying through the main game just to get to chunk farming spots and then grind those spots before finally playing the content I just paid for.

Well, at least there are a decent amount of chunks in the DLC.

And a blood rock

dosh

Well, I beat O
rphan of
K
os
last night, and I will binge read this thread now that nothing can be spoiled for me.

I will be pretty sad if From never consider doing a sequel. The Bloodborne universe and lore are probably my favorite in a long time: going from werewolves hunting to
Lovecraft horror
was absolutely unexpected, and there are so many little stories and details that contribute to the macabre atmosphere.

Also, I love how they finally went
full Dagon with the Fishing Hamlet
(end of DLC spoiler) :D

myco666

It all boils down to our shitty builds lol

I can't believe I'm thinking on bringing her down to the Chalice rabbit hole again (5th time). FROM is going to kill me with their grind.

Haha! Yeah the Chalice grind isn't great and I would really like there to be some improvements. Mainly just that they removed all material requirements from the 'main' Chalices so that you could just run through them without having to kill every single thing and find every single item everytime you want to do them again.

Well, I beat O
rphan of
K
os
last night, and I will binge read this thread now that nothing can be spoiled for me.

I will be pretty sad if From never consider doing a sequel. The Bloodborne universe and lore are probably my favorite in a long time: going from werewolves hunting to
Lovecraft horror
was absolutely unexpected, and there are so many little stories and details that contribute to the macabre atmosphere.

Also, I love how they finally went
full Dagon with the Fishing Hamlet
(end of DLC spoiler) :D

The turnaround from beasts was really great. Didn't expect it to go the direction it did at all. Yeah the third area of the DLC is so
Dagon
. This is probably best Lovecraft inspired game ever.

RiggyRob

Episode 12, Pimmsy vs. The One Reborn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdxprH9i5k

Pretty simple fight when you know you have to kill the the Bell Maidens first and dodge the bloody drops from above. There was some bullshit in Pimmsy's first go when she got stuck on pots and the wall and ended up dying in the staircase, so I had to cut that out.

I find it really weird how you can roll and break through pots, but you can't just sprint through them. Surely you'd be moving faster while sprinting and cause more force to it?

Also, is The One Reborn supposed to be the nightmare newborn, or is it Mergo?

Lovecraft horror

Being honest, I really disliked the story twist. I wanted Van Helsing/Castlevania stuff and then ended up with what we got. It was a well done fakeout but it left me cold. It's another reason I'm hyped for DS3, to get back to that more fantasy story and away from
Lovecraftian horror

Also, is The One Reborn supposed to be the nightmare newborn, or is it Mergo?

It's Mergo.

Sephzilla

The Upper Cathedral Ward farming spot isn't that much further in the game compared to where you need to be at in order to access the DLC. Plus I personally think the DLC should be saved for near endgame anyway because it's pretty damn hard in my opinion.

Finalow

using MLGS with 40 str and 45 arcane, damage is still pretty shit.

normal attack is around 400 to mobs, around 300 to other players. do I need only arcane gems or something?

addyb

Started the dlc finally last night. I'd had a break from the base game a few months ago so had a bit of a mess around to get my reflexes working again. Anyway got to
ludwig the accursed
and wow what a fight that was. I've only ever beat 2 bosses on my 1st attempt on this game and last night I added to that tally. Soundtrack on it is epic as well.

addyb

Being honest, I really disliked the story twist. I wanted Van Helsing/Castlevania stuff and then ended up with what we got. It was a well done fakeout but it left me cold. It's another reason I'm hyped for DS3, to get back to that more fantasy story and away from
Lovecraftian horror

It's Mergo.

I think it's open to interpretation really. Thinking about it then mergo is a possibility but it's not set in stone.

HORRORSHØW

using MLGS with 40 str and 45 arcane, damage is still pretty shit.

normal attack is around 400 to mobs, around 300 to other players. do I need only arcane gems or something?

well, it also scales with skill. you won't see the most out of it until you raise 3 stats.

the gems also matter depending on which version you're using (regular, uncanny, lost).

my lost moonlight sword has an AR of 1035 or something. the regular, physical version has an AR of 1005. i still prefer the physical version because of the 1h R2 thrust.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lovecraftian horror
Couldn't disagree more. The Lovecraftian horror twist blew my mind and was handled spectacularly, and Lovecraftian horror is just plain badass.

I would love to see their take on "classic" gothic horror (vampires, werewolves, demons, etc.), though, like a Legacy of Kain made by From. That would be amazing too.

addyb

I can't be the only one that's pretty gutted souls 3 is the last souls/bloodborne game they are doing. How I would love another or even a demons remaster :)

RiggyRob

I think it's open to interpretation really. Thinking about it then mergo is a possibility but it's not set in stone.

Begs the question then - who puts the messages down in Bloodborne?

We know Patches does at least one of them, but he can't have done all of them right?

neoism

yeah ive done it a few times but its a shame o ly one enemy in the game drops knowledge... but even at like 300k echo that would be better... the werewolf farming for chunks is soooo boring and it takes forever...

HORRORSHØW

glitched out in the maria fight and brought one of the living failures with me
CVpjg2OWIAEQw_I.png:large

addyb

yeah ive done it a few times but its a shame o ly one enemy in the game drops knowledge... but even at like 300k echo that would be better... the werewolf farming for chunks is soooo boring and it takes forever...

Yeah it does take a while. It's better once you get to mergos loft middle and with some moon runes you can quickly rack up big echoes. Especially with being quick by doing the
pigs vs shadows
trick.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think I've made a huge mistake.

I put the Bloodborne OST CD on my Christmas list.

But... what if they release a new OST with the DLC tracks? They won't be on my CD. So I won't have Ludwig's theme.

Fuuuuu

#firstworldproblems

myco666

Grimløck;188309807 said:

Now that fight won't never be as good as this. Hell From just should put cosmos around all boss arenas because why the fuck not.

edit.

I think I've made a huge mistake.

I put the Bloodborne OST CD on my Christmas list.

But... what if they release a new OST with the DLC tracks? They won't be on my CD. So I won't have Ludwig's theme.

Fuuuuu

#firstworldproblems

How is this a problem? Just buy the new OST also if it ever comes out.

yes I have a problem and I have multiples of the same albums

Finalow

Grimløck;188306270 said:
well, it also scales with skill. you won't see the most out of it until you raise 3 stats.

the gems also matter depending on which version you're using (regular, uncanny, lost).

my lost moonlight sword has an AR of 1035 or something. the regular, physical version has an AR of 1005. i still prefer the physical version because of the 1h R2 thrust.
skill is the worst scaling for the weapon and I'm stopping at 120 or so in order to use this build in pvp, so even if it was worth it I can't level it up.

I read this on the wiki "deals physical and arcane damage both one-handed and two-handed, however the projectile deals only arcane damage" so I guess I'm going with physical gems.

laxu

Finally beat OoK on NG+. I used the single handed +10 Burial Blade with a slight bolt attack gem and moved to two handed for the second phase. Phase 2 needs a lot of luck and knowing most of the moves, the first phase is actually really easy because there are so many parry opportunities and the Burial Blade with bolt seems to stun well enough that OoK takes a few more hits at once. Damn that enemy's screaming is annoying though.

Then I went to beat my sworn enemy from the main game,
Martyr Logarius
. Killed him on first go. Must've gotten good because it took me probably 30+ tries on my first run.

For chunk farming I've got fairly decent luck with the gargoyles at Cainhurst castle. It's kind of weird because sometimes I get a chunk or two on a few runs and then nothing for many more. Don't know how this game seeds the RNG and if Bold hunter's marks give worse chances than going to Hunter's Dream and back.

I also agree that you should be able to buy chunks with echoes in NG+. At that point most players have already seen everything so why not just let them have fun with all weapons since anything lower than +8 is pretty useless in NG+ anyway.

Having done the DLC on NG, I'm going through again on NG+ and finding it way easier obviously. Then I got to Ludwig... fought him about 8 times so far and every time I've completely trashed him up to the point he brings out the huge blast/wave from the moonlight sword. What's the best strategy for avoiding it?

You can see it coming, but you can't be too close as there's the initial AoE - I've tried then running away or going in close but either way I get caught either by the sword itself or the lingering wave which is multi-hit and just finished me off since I'm staggered by it. I was feeling pretty bad ass up to this point too!

G-Bus

Banned
Having a hell of a time with this game on the first level. Made it to the "second" wey point or what ever and I keep getting my ass handed to me. The regular guys are fine but I make the smallest mistake and I'm done.

Get to bugger guys and I barely scrape by with dodging.

Tired of clearing section for 20 minutes only to die and do it all again.

Though I am disappointed it was one boss fight right after another (I don't like when FROM does that; they did it a lot in DS2) -- my goodness,
Maria

First try, got her down to maybe 3-4 hits left, but her flaming blade-swoop took me by surprise and ended me. The battle and the music had my heart racing. Easily one of the most "fair" bosses in the game. It's a really tough battle, but not exactly frustrating like L
udwig
and L
aurence
were. Gonna try again tonight. I can hardly believe she's not the DLC's final boss nor the final area. So worth the $20.

HORRORSHØW

skill is the worst scaling for the weapon and I'm stopping at 120 or so in order to use this build in pvp, so even if it was worth it I can't level it up.

I read this on the wiki "deals physical and arcane damage both one-handed and two-handed, however the projectile deals only arcane damage" so I guess I'm going with physical gems.
yeah, if you want to limit yourself to 120 pvp, then the moonlight sword isn't the best choice.

if you want to use the 2h mode, then nourishing gems would be better because it ups all damage (physical and arcane).
If I wanted to start a new character, at what soul level would the DLC content be approachable?
70-80 should be fine. a little lower if you're okay at the game.

Are you using Nourishing gems? Theyll get the most out of both forms for your stats.

I have a lvl 120 with 45str 35 Arcane and 3x18% Nourishing gems and my MLGS does around 500 1handed to the doll and 550 2 handed to the doll and the beams hit for around 400

Grimløck;188309807 said:

Yeah, when they do that I nearly shocked because they opened the veil to the void and summon Magic, MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best way to farm Chunks IMO is to do co-op in chalice dungeons. That's also the best way to get Rocks from what I've experienced. ~300 Discovery, for what it's worth. I've done the Gargoyle runs in Cainhurst -- if I'm lucky, I'll get one Chunk. I've done the blue-eyed werewolf run in Upper Cathedral and I'll get one Chunk every 2-3 attempts. On average, no method seems to work better for me than another. Takes about an hour to get 1-3 Chunks (on average).

This morning, helped others in Chalice co-op (which is something I've pretty much ignored up to this point) and got a total of 4 chunks between 4 bosses. Each boss went down in 1-2 minutes and the whole session was about 35m.

Best part is that if I die, it simply kicks me back and I can try again without risking the loss of echoes.

gogosox82

If I wanted to start a new character, at what soul level would the DLC content be approachable?

I was watching A German Spy and he worked on the strategy guide for the dlc and he said they are recommending sl 90 in new game with a +10 weapon and decent gems before tackling the dlc. So I take that to mean running through the entire game and farming the dungeons for some decent gems before doing the dlc. You would probably be okay in the first area but I don't think a low level character could beat Ludwig unless they play perfectly.

Arjen

I'm having so much fun with the pizza cutter that I just did AL the chalice dungeons again, even the defiled which I swore never to do again. Defiled Amygdala went down in two tries.

According to the guide, it says 65. I recommend 70 with a +8 weapon at least.

Or enter early and explore for weapons aka Pizza cutter, the explosive pike and the machinegun (dont use the machine gun)

silva1991

It's funny how pathetic and easy the executioners have become after encountering the cthulhu guys in the DLC.

executioners used to make me nervous 8 months ago.

Top Bottom