• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

gogosox82

Cane's pretty strong against bosses because it can both serrate and castigate, but the moveset isn't as easy to abuse for dealing with normal encounters. You pretty much have to learn to dodge and parry if you want to make it work for you.

Much easier to just take the Hunter's Axe and spin to win, even if it's a bit underwhelming on bosses. Saw Cleaver's a nice middle ground.

The cane is amazing. It really has just about everything you want from a weapon. Nice moveset, range, can be buffed, and is versatile. Whip mode also wreaks a majority of the game's bosses as well. The screen says its actually one of the lowest damage output weapons and then you kill a boss in like a minute and a half with it and realize that the stat screen isn't telling you everything about the weapon. The only issue is it takes a while for you see that while other weapons like the saw cleaver and the hunter axe you see it immediately.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just started playing this game for the first time, never played a souls game before and I die so much. I've been stuck on the first checkpoint for like two days now. I know people said this game makes you die a lot but this is ridiculous. Is the cane starter weapon garbage? I do so little damage to bigger enemies, and since I can't stun them the whip form seems totally worthless against them. I just feel like I have to needleprick them to death. I got as far as the sewer area so far, and it just keeps getting harder and harder...

What am I doing wrong?
To add to what others are saying (agreed that the cane is badass), make sure you learn how to parry/stagger enemies with the gun. Time the firing of your gun as your enemy attacks and it'll stagger them, allowing you to do a riposte/visceral attack for massive damage. The bigger enemies die really fast with it.

Cane's R2 whip form has a surprisingly good stagger power, especially against humanoid enemies.

It has everything: fast, rapid attacks that can stunlock, serrated damage, thrust damage so you are strong against alien enemies like the brain sucker, etc etc, and it can be buffed too. Truly one of the most devastating weapons in my honest opinion, though it requires a bit of time to truly shine.
I would have agreed with this before tOH came out, but in my new play through for the DLC I basically only used the Holy Blade and everything was a million times easier than when I only used the cane back in March. Holy Blade is wayyyy better, but cane is good enough until you get there.

Then once I killed the fishies I loved the Rakyuko or whatever. Best thing you can say about the cane is that it works really well for parry builds, both Holy Blde and Rakyuko need to be two-handed.

Roussow

What's the best general blood-echo farm zone? I like the Mergo's Loft lap, but the pigs can be a nuisance. Would you guys say there's anything better -- now including the dlc into that equation?

laxu

What's the best general blood-echo farm zone? I like the Mergo's Loft lap, but the pigs can be a nuisance. Would you guys say there's anything better -- now including the dlc into that equation?
Lecture building first floor. Stock up on Bold hunter's marks amd just kill the auditorium guys over and over again. Took me maybe 20 minutes on NG+ to get 1.7 million echoes.

Even though one lap earns me about 100k it's not easy to die and it's very fast to repeat. Just get the enemies in the doorway and kill them with your longest 2h weapon. I use the Burial Blade.

RiggyRob

That is a way to get it.

If you talk to him wearing Church clothing he will also ask you if his legacy lives on or not. You can lie and say "Yes" and he'll give it to you. If you say "No" he apparently goes full-horse and you have to put him down. Apparently, Simon can also show up here and give it to you, though I never had that happen.

Simon doesn't give you the Holy Moonlight Sword per se, it's just that you will find Ludwig's head dead with an arrow stuck inside it, so only Simon could've put him down.

No idea when exactly the trigger for it is, maybe after talking to him in the Research Hall? Otherwise it'd be right at the end of his quest line in Fishing Hamlet.

I'm definitely wearing Church clothing when fighting against Ludwig in my game.

Simon doesn't give you the Holy Moonlight Sword per se, it's just that you will find Ludwig's head dead with an arrow stuck inside it, so only Simon could've put him down.

No idea when exactly the trigger for it is, maybe after talking to him in the Research Hall? Otherwise it'd be right at the end of his quest line in Fishing Hamlet.

I'm definitely wearing Church clothing when fighting against Ludwig in my game.
Probably around when he stands next to it for a while, yeah? Before unlocking the door to the second boss.

playXray

Can anyone give me any advice on Laurence NG+. I'm around level 160, I've beaten the whole DLC and collected pretty much everything there is to find, but I'm still struggling with Laurence. I can get him down to about 1/3 health but his double/triple wipe sweeping attacks just wipe me out. Anyone else find him by far the hardest boss in the DLC?

Darvan

Gaf,

I have the lost version of the Holy Moon Light sword and I need sone suggestions on gems for it my character is currently built to handle ludwig blade ie., Str, Stam am not near the console other wise I would throw my stats up. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions

Received two rage messages on PSN last night. One calling me a newbie and the other saying 1v1 me F*****. One was hilarious, was just taking my time with my friend through the DLC but I was eating, some guy invades and starts spamming taunts around me, my friends off screen at this point killing enemies, he runs back quickly and one shots the guy in the back. I don't get why people are so pissy with 2v1s in PvP. The invaders willingly decided to make life hard for someone else, then whines like a bitch when the odds aren't in their favour...

Can anyone give me any advice on Laurence NG+. I'm around level 160, I've beaten the whole DLC and collected pretty much everything there is to find, but I'm still struggling with Laurence. I can get him down to about 1/3 health but his double/triple wipe sweeping attacks just wipe me out. Anyone else find him by far the hardest boss in the DLC?
Wear flame-resistant cloths and hug his right side? I found him one of the easiest NG bosses in the DLC, but I was really high leveled for NG I think since I went through the Chalice Dungeons.

laxu

Bowblade, makes short work of his phase 2. He has a tricky moveset in both phases and the crap camera doesn't help.

Ferr986

Anyone still get summoned on root Depth 5 chalices with the SRC?

It sucks that it only puts me on progression Chalices now. I used to get awesome gems before the patch, getting summoned on root 5 bosses.

cheesekao

Gaf,

I have the lost version of the Holy Moon Light sword and I need sone suggestions on gems for it my character is currently built to handle ludwig blade ie., Str, Stam am not near the console other wise I would throw my stats up. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions
50str/25arc if you're capping your levels
50str/50skill/50arc if you arent.

The gems you want are nourishing gems that give + Attack Up. Physical atk up gems won't increase your arcane attack. The good ones drop from FRC Chalices. Gargoyles drop them but Rom and Amygdala drop better ones.
The good ones drop from FRC Chalices. Gargoyles drop them but Rom and Amygdala drop better ones.
Rom and Amygdala

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I would have agreed with this before tOH came out, but in my new play through for the DLC I basically only used the Holy Blade and everything was a million times easier than when I only used the cane back in March. Holy Blade is wayyyy better, but cane is good enough until you get there.

Then once I killed the fishies I loved the Rakyuko or whatever. Best thing you can say about the cane is that it works really well for parry builds, both Holy Blde and Rakyuko need to be two-handed.

Hahaha, you're like the opposite of me :) I greatly favor Threaded Cane over Ludwig, because in other to stagger with Ludwig you need to two hand it and that leaves no room for riposte. Not to mention the Whip's range is tremendous and you can basically stunlock humanoid enemies like Hunters since they just love to dash around and the Whip just hits them regardless no matter where they move.

In fact, I find it a lot easier to traverse through Bloodborne with Threaded Cane than I was with Ludwig.

Anyway, anyone routinely attending Bloodborne threads already know that I am such a big fanboy of Threaded Cane, hahah. I would love to try maining something different: the Beast Cutter looks so appealing to me due to its similarity to Threaded Cane and my God the overhead slam is tremendously satisfying.

Hahaha, you're like the opposite of me :) I greatly favor Threaded Cane over Ludwig, because in other to stagger with Ludwig you need to two hand it and that leaves no room for riposte. Not to mention the Whip's range is tremendous and you can basically stunlock humanoid enemies like Hunters since they just love to dash around and the Whip just hits them regardless no matter where they move.

In fact, I find it a lot easier to traverse through Bloodborne with Threaded Cane than I was with Ludwig.

Anyway, anyone routinely attending Bloodborne threads already know that I am such a big fanboy of Threaded Cane, hahah. I would love to try maining something different: the Beast Cutter looks so appealing to me due to its similarity to Threaded Cane and my God the overhead slam is tremendously satisfying.
The cane is still definitely very good! Especially against humanoid enemies as you said, but I was pleasantly surprised that all of the enemies that I had trouble defeating with the cane pretty much became easy mode with the Holy Blade.

The cane is great for the forest too, snakes can't do shit.

J Jizzle

Hey guys, what level is best when entering Old Hunters DLC for the first time on a new game?

I bought the GOTY edition last Friday and binged on it all weekend. I think I'm close to the end of the vanilla game (just beat ROM) and I'm level 70, stats below;

VIT: 36
END: 20
STR: 25
SKL: 25
BLD: 7
ARC: 7

I'm using Ludwigs & Cleaver at the moment.

KeRaSh

Slowly getting back into it on my NG+ Lv 120ish. I roamed around a little bit after beating Father G yesterday. I might have to look up what I have to do in order to access the DLC, though. Ideally I'd like to skip any boss I can but will that leave me underlevelled?

myco666

Hey guys, what level is best when entering Old Hunters DLC for the first time on a new game?

I bought the GOTY edition last Friday and binged on it all weekend. I think I'm close to the end of the vanilla game (just beat ROM) and I'm level 70, stats below;

VIT: 36
END: 20
STR: 25
SKL: 25
BLD: 7
ARC: 7

I'm using Ludwigs & Cleaver at the moment.

That should be more than enough to start the DLC. If you are feeling it is too hard just go farm echoes and up your Str and Skill.

edit.
Slowly getting back into it on my NG+ Lv 120ish. I roamed around a little bit after beating Father G yesterday. I might have to look up what I have to do in order to access the DLC, though. Ideally I'd like to skip any boss I can but will that leave me underlevelled?

120 should be fine for NG+ depending on your stat distribution. Just buy Hunter Chief Emblem from the shop and go fight VA for fastest way to get to DLC.

J Jizzle

Thanks for coming back to me myco666, onwards to Old Hunters I go!

Yeah I was working on getting my VIT to 40 before moving onto other stats (as a souls noob, I find myself making a lot of mistakes memorising/dodging enemy patterns so the more health the better!).

More skill followed by Bloodtinge are my next priorities after VIT. Hopefully there is a weapon similar stat scaling wise as Ludwigs in old hunters.

Ferr986

Yeah I was working on getting my VIT to 40 before moving onto other stats (as a souls noob, I find myself making a lot of mistakes memorising/dodging enemy patterns so the more health the better!).

More skill followed by Bloodtinge are my next priorities after VIT. Hopefully there is a weapon similar stat scaling wise as Ludwigs in old hunters.

If you're not using a Bloodtinge weapon you better not level it at all.

myco666

Considering you have already invested lot into Str and Skill I wouldn't bump Bloodtinge at all as of now and would concentrate on Str and Skill. Bloodtinge is only worth it if you go for Chikage and guns and you need to bump it to 50 for it to be actually worth it IMO.

KeRaSh

120 should be fine for NG+ depending on your stat distribution. Just buy Hunter Chief Emblem from the shop and go fight VA for fastest way to get to DLC.

VIT: low-mid 40ish
END: mid 30ish
STR: 50
SKL: low 20ish
BLD: sub 10
ARC: sub 10

Already bought the emblem. I'll look up how to get to VA. Do I have to fight other bosses to access the DLC or will that do it?

How does the summon NPC mechanic work exactly? Can I only summon them at specific points when I get a message that says I can summon help at this point? I got one of those and got Father G after ringing the bell but the next time I came back to the same spot the message didn't appear. Do these appear randomly? I'd feel so much safer with an NPC scape goat and I have tons of Insight to waste...

myco666

VIT: low-mid 40ish
END: mid 30ish
STR: 50
SKL: low 20ish
BLD: sub 10
ARC: sub 10

Already bought the emblem. I'll look up how to get to VA. Do I have to fight other bosses to access the DLC or will that do it?

How does the summon NPC mechanic work exactly? Can I only summon them at specific points when I get a message that says I can summon help at this point? I got one of those and got Father G after ringing the bell but the next time I came back to the same spot the message didn't appear. Do these appear randomly? I'd feel so much safer with an NPC scape goat and I have tons of Insight to waste...

Those stats are very good for the DLC. No other bosses required just remember to touch the skull after the bossfight.

NPC mechanic works so that you need to find the red mark in the area and summon the NPC. They are in pretedermined locations and pretedermined NPCs so that you can summon NPCs to boss fights everytime.

J Jizzle

Considering you have already invested lot into Str and Skill I wouldn't bump Bloodtinge at all as of now and would concentrate on Str and Skill. Bloodtinge is only worth it if you go for Chikage and guns and you need to bump it to 50 for it to be actually worth it IMO.

Oh ok. Do I get the same gains out of Strength and Skill on Ludwigs? I was under the impression skill effected visceral attacks but not strength (maybe I'm wrong there!)

I was going to pump bloodtinge to use Evelyn which I just picked up, I was keen to replace the same pistol I've been using since the start.

myco666

Oh ok. Do I get the same gains out of Strength and Skill on Ludwigs? I was under the impression skill effected visceral attacks but not strength (maybe I'm wrong there!)

I was going to pump bloodtinge to use Evelyn which I just picked up, I was keen to replace the same pistol I've been using since the start.

If I remember correctly Str scales with 2Handed mode and Skill scales with 1Handed mode so both are equally good to level up in my opinion. Viscerals scale with Skill and your Blood Level so there are little bit more benefits to get Skill up than Str.

If you were just going to get BT up so that you could equip Evelyn I would advice you to not do it. It is basically the same weapon but with higher damage but you won't really see that damage unless you have high BT and highly upgraded Evelyn. I would try Blunderbuss or Ludwigs Rifle if I wanted something different from the starter Pistol.

KeRaSh

Those stats are very good for the DLC. No other bosses required just remember to touch the skull after the bossfight.

NPC mechanic works so that you need to find the red mark in the area and summon the NPC. They are in pretedermined locations and pretedermined NPCs so that you can summon NPCs to boss fights everytime.

Awesome! Currently unsure if I should try to get VIT to 50, boos SKL for even more damage (Ludwig's +10) or if I should add a little more END.
The Holy Moonlight Sword scales with ARC, right? It looks awesome but will probably be a huge damage drop off compared to Ludwig's Holy Blade considering my stat distribution, right?

myco666

Awesome! Currently unsure if I should try to get VIT to 50, boos SKL for even more damage (Ludwig's +10) or if I should add a little more END.
The Holy Moonlight Sword scales with ARC, right? It looks awesome but will probably be a huge damage drop off compared to Ludwig's Holy Blade considering my stat distribution, right?

I would go for Skill since your Vit and End are both already high enough. I am not sure how the damage is if you have low Arcane but since it has A scaling I would assume you need lot of Arcane to make it out perform LHB with your current setup and since your Arc is so low you would need huge investment into it before it is good.

Ferr986

If I remember correctly Str scales with 2Handed mode and Skill scales with 1Handed mode so both are equally good to level up in my opinion. Viscerals scale with Skill and your Blood Level so there are little bit more benefits to get Skill up than Str.

Transformed mode should scale with both too. I use it with my 25str/50skl. That doesn't mean that maybe it gets more gains with STR, I dunno about that.

Mephala

Well Orphan is easily the most challenging boss so far. I much prefer fighting Maria, that was actually cool. This guy while tough is kind of irritating and I hate his screams and sounds.

I'm getting much better at dodging everything. Just need to stop being greedy. His lunge looks like it can be ducked under, I've been trying to get a sneaky back stab in from it but haven't managed to get the timing down. The few times I successfully dodged the attack going forwards I was too far away. Completely whiffed my R2 and ate two quick hits into death for it. >8(

Then there his second form. Gods, I don't even know where is safe any more.

laxu

How does the summon NPC mechanic work exactly? Can I only summon them at specific points when I get a message that says I can summon help at this point?

Usually there's a summon point near the bosses and for some of them you need to have a specific rune equipped and of course some insight to summon. For example to get Valtr you need to have the Impurity rune which you get by talking to him in the Forbidden Woods where the shortcut comes back to the first lamp. Not all bosses have a summon point and you need to remember that bosses get more health if fighting with a companion. Still might be worth it for bosses like Ludwig that can be difficult to deal with solo. I had to summon Valtr for Ludwig before I could take him down.

Based on your stats you should be ok for the most part, might want to get stamina up to 40 and vitality to 50 as soon as you can, many enemies hit pretty hard so it might be worth playing the main game at least until you unlock a few of the best echoes farming locations. Witch's Abode to Hemwick Charmel Lane is the first one, the second one is Lecture Building 1st Floor. With all Moon runes in NG+ Witch's Abode route gives you about 150k echoes but Lecture building gives about 100k for just clearing one room full of easy enemies. That said, the Witch's Abode route is great for practicing your parry against the executioners.

KeRaSh

Usually there's a summon point near the bosses and for some of them you need to have a specific rune equipped and of course some insight to summon. For example to get Valtr you need to have the Impurity rune which you get by talking to him in the Forbidden Woods where the shortcut comes back to the first lamp. Not all bosses have a summon point and you need to remember that bosses get more health if fighting with a companion. Still might be worth it for bosses like Ludwig that can be difficult to deal with solo. I had to summon Valtr for Ludwig before I could take him down.

Based on your stats you should be ok for the most part, might want to get stamina up to 40 and vitality to 50 as soon as you can, many enemies hit pretty hard so it might be worth playing the main game at least until you unlock a few of the best echoes farming locations. Witch's Abode to Hemwick Charmel Lane is the first one, the second one is Lecture Building 1st Floor. With all Moon runes in NG+ Witch's Abode route gives you about 150k echoes but Lecture building gives about 100k for just clearing one room full of easy enemies. That said, the Witch's Abode route is great for practicing your parry against the executioners.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll work my way past Amelia and give the DLC a shot and if I get my ass handed to me I'll go back to the regular areas and farm for a while.

I've been playing through the DLC on NG+ for a while and I just made it to the Hamlet. Is there some strategy to fight the giant shark monsters that doesn't involve them sliding into me and flailing their arms at me to death?

Can you be part of the League and the Vilebloods simultaneously?

Covenant loyalties are based solely on what covenant-based Caryll rune you have equipped. So you can "be part" of them both at once in the sense that you have both of their runes, but you still need to switch back and forth between them at the workshop to gain their respective benefits.

owlbeak

Read a lot about people having a hard time on
Maria
, but I got it on my first go (NG++, threaded cane+10). Parry, visceral. Rinse, repeat. Seemed pretty simple. But I had a hell of a time on the first boss of this DLC, so probably just got lucky.

Loving the DLC. The setting, atmosphere, visuals, and story are all amazing, just like the main game. Can't get enough.

myco666

Transformed mode should scale with both too. I use it with my 25str/50skl. That doesn't mean that maybe it gets more gains with STR, I dunno about that.

Hmm might be just that it scales better with Str but also scales with Skill. I used LHB on my first character only so don't really remember that well how the gains were. Investing into both is good idea though IMO if using LHB.

Haven't played the game in more than 6 months, what does beast blood pellet actually do?

It makes you go into 'beast mode'. You get that bar that fills up everytime you hit an enemy and the higher the bar goes the higher the damage boost you get from it. Downside is that your defense rapidly decreases as well so it is basically glass cannon build stuff. Works really well with Whirligig Saw and BoM.

Ferr986

I know it's a little selfish cause you don't get anything but I wonder if someone is willingto help me get the Rakuyo in a character I have. She's too low (60) for me to handle them and I don't have any long range weapon to cheese it :(

myco666

Finally got all the trophies for the DLC. Fuck those
15 foot tall land-sharks.

giphy.gif

I know it's a little selfish cause you don't get anything but I wonder if someone is willingto help me get the Rakuyo in a character I have. She's too low (60) for me to handle them and I don't have any long range weapon to cheese it :(

Sure why not. Are playing now?

Top Bottom