• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

jonjonaug

For new page, anyone?
You still get insight for finding/killing chalice dungeon bosses, and one insight for killing a boss while summoned yourself. There's a shitload of Madman's Knowledge items in the Nightmare of Mensis past the window on the outside of the buildkng that you can roll into from the broken cage elevator if you haven't picked those up yet.

Really loving this DLC so far. I actually enjoyed the area after Lugwig more than the beginning of the game. Really liked that disturbing imagery and atmosphere.

SkylineRKR

Chalice is ridiculous for power leveling. With top tier echo runes I net like 300k+ by just routing easy alien dudes and the like in Isz layers. I'm on NG+. Chalice give the best gems, lots of items.. its really rewarding once you open up Depth 5 roots.

Best way to farm Chunks IMO is to do co-op in chalice dungeons. That's also the best way to get Rocks from what I've experienced. ~300 Discovery, for what it's worth. I've done the Gargoyle runs in Cainhurst -- if I'm lucky, I'll get one Chunk. I've done the blue-eyed werewolf run in Upper Cathedral and I'll get one Chunk every 2-3 attempts. On average, no method seems to work better for me than another. Takes about an hour to get 1-3 Chunks (on average).

This morning, helped others in Chalice co-op (which is something I've pretty much ignored up to this point) and got a total of 4 chunks between 4 bosses. Each boss went down in 1-2 minutes and the whole session was about 35m.

Best part is that if I die, it simply kicks me back and I can try again without risking the loss of echoes.

I farm the merciless watchers in easy chalice layers. 2 chunks per run on average that takes about 5-10 minutes. But you'll need to be far in Chalice dungons.

For co-op, I was pitted against Amygdala defiled and the guy died. While we both did good projectile damage.

Finalow

Are you using Nourishing gems? Theyll get the most out of both forms for your stats.

I have a lvl 120 with 45str 35 Arcane and 3x18% Nourishing gems and my MLGS does around 500 1handed to the doll and 550 2 handed to the doll and the beams hit for around 400
you can equip only one of them since they're triangular, though?
I do have one but it's not very good. I'm using two 20% physical atk up gems and one 18% arcane atk up gem.

pixxxelz

build and gems used?

im 50skl and 40blt... and only do like 450 max on R2 are you using 3 27% gems..lol

i +10 mine but its still a little meh to use..wish it shot faster and had better range.
I have 25 skill and 50 bloodtinge.
The gems I have are pretty meh, (don't feel like farming cd for good ones) I have a +22.3% atk, +21.6% blood atk and +20.6% atk

it shots fast enough imo the only thing I don't like about is that you can't parry.

neoism

I have 25 skill and 50 bloodtinge.
The gems I have are pretty meh, (don't feel like farming cd for good ones) I have a +22.3% atk, +21.6% blood atk and +20.6% atk

it shots fast enough imo the only thing I don't like about is that you can't parry.

well those are better gems than mine but damn the weapon must not scale good with skill....:/ need some good blood atk gems..

Any tips for defeating Maria? I can get her to the second phase and never take a hit then, she just destroys me and I can't even get remotely close to her to get a hit in.

Any tips for defeating Maria? I can get her to the second phase and never take a hit then, she just destroys me and I can't even get remotely close to her to get a hit in.
Her combos have REALLY long recoveries after she completes the combo, so try to bait the attacks and short/mid range, stay alive, and then go in for some good hits.

Miyazaki has said no more after souls 3. He wants from software to move onto other ideas :(

He never really said anything about Bloodborne. The only series he definitively said he wants to move away from is Dark Souls.

Also, they could easily make more new IP using a similar formula.

gogosox82

He never really said anything about Bloodborne. The only series he definitively said he wants to move away from is Dark Souls.

Also, they could easily make more new IP using a similar formula.

He also said he wanted to do a "lighter" game after DS1 and then put out Bloodborne which is the darkest game they've made so far. I think we're just going to have to wait and see what happens.

He also said he wanted to do a "lighter" game after DS1 and then put out Bloodborne which is the darkest game they've made so far. I think we're just going to have to wait and see what happens.

I think we'll get a Bloodborne sequel in addition to some new stuff. I'm pretty excited.

MrHoot

I'd like a new Armored Core for Ps4 though. Imagine how pretty it would be...

Or something totally new. I recall seeing a miyazaki interview where he'd want to do something way less dark than Bloodborne or Souls, like similar to Ico and i would LOVE an ico like game by him

He said Dark Souls was the last in that series, but earlier also said they may explore other settings for Souls-like games. I don't expect DS3 to be the last Soulsborne game at all. I'm very happy DS3 is the last in the series though, I wouldn't want to see it just run and run that's not my interest at all. I really hope they put their all in to ending the series in style, I really want to see more story allusions to DS1.

Returned to Bloodborne after a long hiatus: fearing this DLC might destroy my now rustic skillset, it completely revitalized the game for me. Recorded my boss fights for later viewing. This playthrough is under NG+.

My thoughts (beware of boss spoiler intro links on #1 and #3, because these were first attempts):
1) First boss
Ludwig
I beat on my first try, but not without burning through my vials trying to learn its movement patterns for the first time. 2nd phase is nothing short of epic, with the sweeping music pumping my adrenaline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXD69NTgF4U

2) 3rd Boss
Lady Maria
felt very DMC-like, died about twice before I decided to test out the pizzacutter. Man is this thing OP (and it was only +8 at the time).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9_pJE8ytyg

3) Final DLC boss
Orphan of Kos
was a frantic battle of reflex: also beat it on my first try. One of the most intense battles in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_2IsVavX9M

4) Optional boss
Laurence the first Vicar
:
This one I died to, many, MANY times. Infuriating camera during lock-on. Must have taken several tries before I needed a break from it, came back the next day and beat it on the first go. I suppose sometimes, when you reach a plateau, a break does wonders so you can open up the battle with a renewed, refreshed frame of mind. My strategy after many failed attempts: treat it like a super version of the Cleric Beast, keep strafing towards its rear and hug it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrmCxzXWS7Y

gogosox82

I think we'll get a Bloodborne sequel in addition to some new stuff. I'm pretty excited.

Hopefully. Though I think Bloodborne is a pretty self contained game with the dlc, I think they could do another game and I'm sure Sony will want them to given how successful was for Sony.

I'd like a new Armored Core for Ps4 though. Imagine how pretty it would be...

Or something totally new. I recall seeing a miyazaki interview where he'd want to do something way less dark than Bloodborne or Souls, like similar to Ico and i would LOVE an ico like game by him

New Armored Core would be nice. I agree that I would love for them to do something totally new and different.

He said Dark Souls was the last in that series, but earlier also said they may explore other settings for Souls-like games. I don't expect DS3 to be the last Soulsborne game at all. I'm very happy DS3 is the last in the series though, I wouldn't want to see it just run and run that's not my interest at all. I really hope they put their all in to ending the series in style, I really want to see more story allusions to DS1.

While that is my feeling as well, I hope they don't totally ignore things that happened in DS2. That kind of the problem initially with DS2, they kind of ignored stuff that was in DS1 and they had to go back in and fix it so that it made sense finally. Hopefully, they have thought of a way to tie all three games together that makes sense.

you can equip only one of them since they're triangular, though?
I do have one but it's not very good. I'm using two 20% physical atk up gems and one 18% arcane atk up gem.

You can get Nourishing radials and Triangles. Idk if youve dont the chalices but you pretty much need to to get the best nourishing gems and really max out the MLGS. Theres a 15% radial nourishing in Mergos near the pigs.

pwmf22gu layer 2 right after the lamp theres a gargoyle that drops 18-19% cursed nourishing radial gems.

For the triangle youll have to beat Amygdala in layer 3 of a cursed dungeon. Check this spreadsheet if your willing to do the chalice stuff

Bloodborne Sheets

addyb

Well research hall was a blag. I got lost a bit but it's all good now I have the key. I'm just looking at a big drop now
boss time?

Downed Ludwig on NG+ finally, actually only took about 10 tries, which is probably on par with what it took in NG but I feel like I really learned the boss this time, mainly in his first phase which I feel confident I could do SL4 (certainly could NOT say that about phase 2!). I was popping beast blood pellets the last few tries and would get to the second phase before it ran out. The last time I managed to completely avoid the giant magic shockwave by getting behind him and he didn't track my movement so I was free to finish him off.

I realised the gun is quite useful for interupting some of his attacks like the jizz spray and some of his forward attacks which I wasn't expecting given his size.

While that is my feeling as well, I hope they don't totally ignore things that happened in DS2. That kind of the problem initially with DS2, they kind of ignored stuff that was in DS1 and they had to go back in and fix it so that it made sense finally. Hopefully, they have thought of a way to tie all three games together that makes sense.
Definately. I wouldn't want them to retcon out or completely ignore DS2 or anything so drastic, but I hope they explore connections to DS1 more since I think it has more left to do so, plus the feels of course! I don't want an 'Old Dragonslayer' type boss, that's not what I'd want to see.

HORRORSHØW

Fuck sake, can't even get past the first phase of OoK, FFS >_<
are you on NG or +? there's a 20 something % kinhunter cursed gem down the elevator before reaching OoK. that might help depending on what other gems you have equipped. otherwise, you can parry his first phase relatively easily.

AHA-Lambda

Grimløck;188332601 said:
are you on NG or +? there's a 20 something % kinhunter cursed gem down the elevator before reaching OoK. that might help depending on what other gems you have equipped. otherwise, you can parry his first phase relatively easily.

NG, unfortunately I was always shite at parrying and have been getting by without it.

I've had enough tonight will attempt again tomorrow, but I fear I may need help from gaffers on this.
Damn my rusty BB skills but this is causing me nothing but grief now compared to the other bosses. I've had to spend time grinding for echoes which I've never felt the need to do in any other Souls game before.

Nameless

I spent the majority of my Bloodborne time over the weekend ringing my Sinister Bell at Laurence, which probably makes me a bad person, but I got totally addicted to PvP again. So many fun 2v1 and 3v1 fights. Stared winning the 2v1's pretty regularly, good Times.

Ferr986

So I did a new Moonlight Sword build and when I finished him... I stopped using him.
And now I'm just upgrading my bloodtinge girl and getting my new skill Rakuyo girl (thanks to myco666) through Chalice dungeon.

I... I think I have a problem with this game.

Grimløck;188332601 said:

If I'm not mistaken OoK is not Kin.

Grimløck;188309807 said:
glitched out in the maria fight and brought one of the living failures with me
CVpjg2OWIAEQw_I.png:large

hope more shit like this is in the sequel, but intentional, of course

Ossom

Returned to Bloodborne after a long hiatus: fearing this DLC might destroy my now rustic skillset, it completely revitalized the game for me. Recorded my boss fights for later viewing. This playthrough is under NG+.

My thoughts (beware of boss spoiler intro links on #1 and #3, because these were first attempts):
1) First boss
Ludwig
I beat on my first try, but not without burning through my vials trying to learn its movement patterns for the first time. 2nd phase is nothing short of epic, with the sweeping music pumping my adrenaline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXD69NTgF4U

2) 3rd Boss
Lady Maria
felt very DMC-like, died about twice before I decided to test out the pizzacutter. Man is this thing OP (and it was only +8 at the time).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9_pJE8ytyg

3) Final DLC boss
Orphan of Kos
was a frantic battle of reflex: also beat it on my first try. One of the most intense battles in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_2IsVavX9M

4) Optional boss
Laurence the first Vicar
:
This one I died to, many, MANY times. Infuriating camera during lock-on. Must have taken several tries before I needed a break from it, came back the next day and beat it on the first go. I suppose sometimes, when you reach a plateau, a break does wonders so you can open up the battle with a renewed, refreshed frame of mind. My strategy after many failed attempts: treat it like a super version of the Cleric Beast, keep strafing towards its rear and hug it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrmCxzXWS7Y

Nice vids. What level are you?

addyb

Downed Maria earlier. That took me a few attempts but it was a great boss fight. The one before it not so much. Fishing hamlet now. Is Laurence the optional boss? If so it's not
that bloody big thing that appeared to be asleep in that church early on in the opening area

Is it?

Top Bottom