• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Finished the DLC yesterday, feels good being able to read this thread!

Getting the
Rakuyo
was some serious bullshit lol, hate those
fish trolls
... I actually went up the stairs after the second one came down, ran all the way to the second lamp, went down the elevador, killed
the two Winter Lanterns
and attacked the two
trolls
from up the ledge. Here's a video of me doing it.

And then I find out in this thread that I could have
used the shaman blade, let them kill each other
and it would be done in less than two minutes. Fuck my life.

But hey, at least I got my trophy!

Finalow

between the Whirligig Saw and K. Parasite what's the better weapon for a str/arc build? edit. I mean in PVP

edit2. physical gems are useless on the Parasite? I hope not 'cause I don't really want to farm arcane gems, if I decide to go with that weapon.

neoism

END should be sacrificed in favor of your damage stat (STR, SKL, whatever).

END only gives marginal resistance gains past 40. You can still get non-negligible damage gains by taking STR or SKL from (let's say) 50 to 60.

yeah i know... it was at 30 for 2 playthroughs but I just used the 10 and 15% runes.. its 40 now.. I my not bother with 50 on it its def the least important stat.. im
V....50
E....40
St...50
Sk..50
Blt..42
A....40
right now lol im werid even that 42 bothers me right now I like to level and stop at 5s or 0s.. kappa

So ever since they pushed out 1.08 and fixed the bug where people got into the DLC for free I can't log onto the servers and play online anymore.

Plus every time I try to manually close the Bloodborne app the PS4 freezes and I have to put it into rest mode and boot it back up.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any word from From about fixing these issues? Otherwise I just won't be able to play online anymore.

MrHoot

So um just to confirm for an american friend, but the GOTY edition never got a physical release in the US ? That would be a huge shame

Nice vids. What level are you?

I entered the DLC around NG+ Level 150. Ended the DLC with the optional boss around Level 170. I didn't die very often, and if I did, I salvaged my dropped blood echoes which allowed me to cap out my VIT and END at 50/40 respectively.

I fear what NG++ onwards would be like, because going from NG to NG+ was quite a jump in difficulty.

I'm doing a skill build, what's the prefered other skill bloodtinge or arcane, what do they give access to? Thanks

I have a hard time seeing any benefit from an arcane build to be honest. It's hard as hell to find good arcane gems and the phantasm shell barely improves the weapon's power in my experience. I have no incentive to go beyond the 40 points my character has right now.

So I'd say Bloodtinge.

gogosox82

yeah i know... it was at 30 for 2 playthroughs but I just used the 10 and 15% runes.. its 40 now.. I my not bother with 50 on it its def the least important stat.. im
V....50
E....40
St...50
Sk..50
Blt..42
A....40
right now lol im werid even that 42 bothers me right now I like to level and stop at 5s or 0s.. kappa

What's your sl? 200?

pixxxelz

So um just to confirm for an american friend, but the GOTY edition never got a physical release in the US ? That would be a huge shame
Nope
I'm doing a skill build, what's the prefered other skill bloodtinge or arcane, what do they give access to? Thanks
I'll second bloodtinge, arcane is only good if you're willing to go deep into the chalice dungeons for blood gems.

Cycloptis

I need some help fighting
Laurence
- he has kicked my ass at least a dozen times now and I don't feel like I'm much better at the fight than I was the first time around.

I think it's my dodging that's a serious issue. I can dodge his left arm (i.e. his left arm, my right) decently well in the earlier stages by dodging forward as he lifts his arm and then immediately right to circle around him. I can pop off two big swings of the Ludwig Holy Blade +9 and then retreat.

Most of everything else is pain town for me, however. I'll break it down:

1 - Later in the fight his left arm seems to swing down much faster, so I always dodge right into the AOE fire
2 - When he swipes with his right and then left, I dodge into his right arm but then wrap around him too much so that when I try to dodge into his left arm I actually end up right in its arc.

I feel like if I can solve these two issues then I will be able to reliably get to his second form. Would appreciate any tips - all guides and posts in this thread haven't helped me yet.

I'm NG, level 89, 50 VIT, 36 STR, 25 END, 7 ARC, 13 SKI.

P.S. Not sure how necessary it still is to spoiler text about this game but playing it safe.

V....50
E....40
St...50
Sk..50
Blt..42
A....40
LOL I feel your pain. The last few levels have been "well....I got SKL up to 51. Might as well round off at 55 right?"

What weapons are you mainly using?

I can say that STR still scales okay past 50. I still get 1-2 points of damage per stat on my Kirk and Whirli. SKL scales worse but it's still worth the extra damage for BoM. ARC helps a bit too and up to 50 (I think?) it still gives Discovery and some extra damage for weapons that scale with it.

Which is worth it, because some of those fire gems can be game breaking.
Question for ya: how exactly does that scaling work? I've always been confused by how the Elemental from Gems is handled. All I know is that Arcane supercedes Fire supercedes Bol for weapons that are Gem'd for more than one element, but beyond that I don't understand how it works, whether it is for elemental Gems or when applying Paper/Shell.

Even a link would be helpful. All I can find online is forum posts of people like me asking the same question with no clear answer.

I need some help fighting
Laurence
- he has kicked my ass at least a dozen times now and I don't feel like I'm much better at the fight than I was the first time around.

I think it's my dodging that's a serious issue. I can dodge his left arm (i.e. his left arm, my right) decently well in the earlier stages by dodging forward as he lifts his arm and then immediately right to circle around him. I can pop off two big swings of the Ludwig Holy Blade +9 and then retreat.

Most of everything else is pain town for me, however. I'll break it down:

1 - Later in the fight his left arm seems to swing down much faster, so I always dodge right into the AOE fire
2 - When he swipes with his right and then left, I dodge into his right arm but then wrap around him too much so that when I try to dodge into his left arm I actually end up right in its arc.

I feel like if I can solve these two issues then I will be able to reliably get to his second form. Would appreciate any tips - all guides and posts in this thread haven't helped me yet.

I'm NG, level 89, 50 VIT, 36 STR, 25 END, 7 ARC, 13 SKI.

P.S. Not sure how necessary it still is to spoiler text about this game but playing it safe.

Check my uploaded fight here: I also use a Ludwig's Holy Blade. It also took me several tries until I figured out you have to stick to his bum as much as you can.
1) When locking on, don't worry about the camera going berserk on you: just focus on the timing of your dodge (as much as is possible, try to dodge into his melee attacks so you increase your invincibility frames).
2) His right arm (the small one) moves faster than his right, so dodge his right arm quickly (your left) and then delay your dodge a bit for his followup left-arm swipe (your right).
3) Try to dodge in such a way that you end up in his rear by the time his 3rd swipe kicks in.
4) Use the 2H form's L2 attack to strike the head as much as you can, and only after executing a dodge following an attack of his. Enough damage to it will trigger a visceral opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrmCxzXWS7Y

Jombie

I reallllly hate grinding for blood gems. I did a cursed ihyll chalice and had to get passed two fire ball-spamming assholes to get through the damn door. Blood gems remain my least-liked mechanic in the game.

*does Simon's bow blade scale off of bt or skill when in bow mode?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Good job dude. I could only beat him on first playthrough difficulty.
And that was HARD!

Surprised you used the pizza cutter on him. That asshole doesnt stand still long enough to really lay into him.

Thanks man! Yeah he was royal pain in the ass.

Cycloptis

Check my uploaded fight here: I also use a Ludwig's Holy Blade. It also took me several tries until I figured out you have to stick to his bum as much as you can.
1) When locking on, don't worry about the camera going berserk on you: just focus on the timing of your dodge (as much as is possible, try to dodge into his melee attacks so you increase your invincibility frames).
2) His right arm (the small one) moves faster than his right, so dodge his right arm quickly (your left) and then delay your dodge a bit for his followup left-arm swipe (your right).
3) Try to dodge in such a way that you end up in his rear by the time his 3rd swipe kicks in.
4) Use the 2H form's L2 attack to strike the head as much as you can, and only after executing a dodge following an attack of his. Enough damage to it will trigger a visceral opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrmCxzXWS7Y

Thanks bud, I'll give these a shot.

xPhinehas

I'm looking for help with OoK, I'm not getting any responses from beckoning. Is no one playing in that area right now? Or is everone else looking for help too? Haha.

EDIT: Nevermind I got him!

pixxxelz

I reallllly hate grinding for blood gems. I did a cursed ihyll chalice and had to get passed two fire ball-spamming assholes to get through the damn door. Blood gems remain my least-liked mechanic in the game.

*does Simon's bow blade scale off of bt or skill when in bow mode?
Skill in sword mode, bloodtinge on bow mode.

Man I wish the Church Pick scaled a little better. I really like the move set but it doesn't have a great damage ratio. Right now I'm basically rolling Church Pick for regular enemies and Moonlight Blade for bosses and hunters.

I currently have six weapons at +7 or greater. Oops. I don't focus well I guess.

HORRORSHØW

my shot at making what's her face
X8C64HK.gif

Jombie

Grimløck;188359352 said:
my shot at making what's her face
X8C64HK.gif

Much better than mine:
12314426_10206361382126654_240393771531854525_o.jpg

I'm terrible at character creation; all of mine end up looking like the fuck babies of Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers.

Luke_Wal

Alright, Bloodborne GAF. I bought this game on Black Friday at Best Buy and I plan on starting it when I get back from college next week and finals are over. Never played a Souls game before; what do I need to know? Are there character classes? If so, which should I pick as a beginner? Is it really as hard as everyone says it is? I typically play games on Normal, if that's any indication.

Alright, Bloodborne GAF. I bought this game on Black Friday at Best Buy and I plan on starting it when I get back from college next week and finals are over. Never played a Souls game before; what do I need to know? Are there character classes? If so, which should I pick as a beginner? Is it really as hard as everyone says it is? I typically play games on Normal, if that's any indication.
If you enjoy the game, commit to beating it. Use all the tools at your disposal to win (whether you have to go online for co-op help, or rely on certain items for certain boss battles, or grind some levels to make areas easier) and don't give up.

That's really it. Pay attention to what's killing you, learn from it, and don't give up.

see death as progress and learn from your mistakes. Also once you reach a boss, find the fastest route to get to him and avoid the enemies on the way.

Orphan of Kos
is being a real brat right now. I can parry him up no problem for the first half but when he goes all crazy, I barely get to touch him.

The
Lightning
isn't really an issue but all his shit hits SO hard. I need to learn his parry windows but I feel like I'm just firing wildly half the time.

Class wise there isn't really much of a difference for Bloodborne, since it's mostly simplified. There's only 6 stats, two of which are hit points and stamina, two of which are your choice of damage (strength vs speed), and then a stat that affects guns and a stat that affects magic. Regardless of what you start as, you can customize your character pretty easily to what you want as you progress.

Top Bottom