• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Facism

Logarius. I get about halfway but once summons start happening it's only a matter of time.

I know not really DLC related but the footage I got was amusing enough that I thought I would sneak it in =P

easy tip to deal with the summon swords: Just target the grounded sword and shoot it once. If you're quick enough you can take it out without a single sword getting summoned.

Voidwolf

Look for bandaged heads on the ground that you can talk to. Hit hem.

Haven't Souls game always been like this? The game is saving almost constantly.

I distinctly remember this game booting you back to the title screen on startup and warning you about the save being corrupted if you turned it off like that.

Arjen

thanks again, another question for you folks ^^" is there any way to open up this locked door in the underground area where you find the monocular in the main game? i mean the room with all the vases in it

No, but it leads to the area where you fight the cleric beast. It seems like it was planned to be used as a shortcut but they decided against it and locked the door for good.

I distinctly remember this game booting you back to the title screen on startup and warning you about the save being corrupted if you turned it off like that.

Oh, I see. If you didn't exit the game before putting your PS4 in rest mode, it just resumed where you left off, which was added in a PS4 firmware update earlier this year (suspend/resume). You would have gotten this message if you had fully powered off the console.

My house briefly lost power when I was playing Bloodborne a couple weeks back and when I resumed the game, I got the message you're describing, because my PS4 was obviously fully powered off due to the outage.

sheaaaa

Banging my head against
Laurence
right now, but couple of questions for other parts of the DLC:

1. Finished the OoK without killing
Ludwig's
head; when I went back to get the sword he's lying dead on the ground? Think it has something to do with the hunter ringing the
soundless bell
, forgot his name. Am I screwed?

2. Tips, my god I need tips, for the couple of bastards in the well. I've read that using a Shaman Bone Blade works? But for that I'll have to grind the harpoon bastard down to pretty low health first, which I cannot do on a regular basis, for the second guy to drop down.

3. Anything interesting that is easy to miss? I haven't done the whole
Brain Fluid
questline so I'll have to get to that; anything else that could easily be missed since the latest update?

RiggyRob

I thought Iosefka didn't get pregnant but that
she stole a cord from Master Wilhem, tried to consume it to enlighten herself but failed unless I'm tripping hard

I don't think she stole it, the description implies Willem was trying to find it but Iosefka did first, otherwise he'd have used it. You're right in that she did try to evolve herself but it didn't work - I wonder where she picked it up from then?

Edit:
Banging my head against
Laurence

Ludwig's
head; when I went back to get the sword he's lying dead on the ground? Think it has something to do with the hunter ringing the
soundless bell

2. Tips, my god I need tips, for the couple of bastards in the well. I've read that using a Shaman Bone Blade works? But for that I'll have to grind the harpoon bastard down to pretty low health first, which I cannot do on a regular basis, for the second guy to drop down.

Brain Fluid
questline so I'll have to get to that; anything else that could easily be missed since the latest update?

If you look closer at Ludwig's head, there should be an arrow sticking out of it, implying Simon put him down.

2. Go from the second Fishing Hamlet lamp down the lift, kill the Winter Lanterns and attack them from there, makes it a lot easier as they can't reach as far from that vantage point.

3. Maybe not relevant to you but as we're playing offline the only thing we've not seen so far is Vermin and everything else associated with it.

Banging my head against
Laurence

Ludwig's
soundless bell

Brain Fluid

The secret to these guys is dodge right. Their attacks hit you if you go left but not if you go right. Then as soon as the other turns up shaman shaft him.

https://youtu.be/U6JB96RXJ4Q

sheaaaa

If you look closer at Ludwig's head, there should be an arrow sticking out of it, implying Simon put him down.

Okay cool, but is there any way of getting the
Holy Moonlight Sword
now?
Simon
and
Ludwig
are both dead at this point, I'm assuming the head doesn't come back to life.

RiggyRob

Okay cool, but is there any way of getting the
Holy Moonlight Sword
now?
Simon
and
Ludwig
are both dead at this point, I'm assuming the head doesn't come back to life.

Errr, if it wasn't there when you found
Ludwig dead
, I don't know if you can get it. Maybe it has something to do with
Brador
like you said, like an alternative method to get it.

sheaaaa

Errr, if it wasn't there when you found
Ludwig dead
, I don't know if you can get it. Maybe it has something to do with
Brador
like you said, like an alternative method to get it.

Ah crap. Not keen on doing NG++ just for the one weapon! Been rocking Ludwig's Holy Blade the entire game and DLC and was thinking of a change, the one weapon I'm actually interested in looks unattinable!

The secret to these guys is dodge right. Their attacks hit you if you go left but not if you go right. Then as soon as the other turns up shaman shaft him.

https://youtu.be/U6JB96RXJ4Q

Thanks! I'll have to give this a shot. Tonight's session will either be immensely rewarding or supremely frustrating, with Laurence and these 2 assholes.

Much prefer the 1 on 1 hunter-type boss enemies myself. Both
Maria
and OoK were tough but really fun to fight; did the latter on my first attempt, down to my last blood vial, wildly slashing the last of his health as his electricity started. Heart was pumping.

Ah crap. Not keen on doing NG++ just for the one weapon! Been rocking Ludwig's Holy Blade the entire game and DLC and was thinking of a change, the one weapon I'm actually interested in looks unattinable!

Thanks! I'll have to give this a shot. Tonight's session will either be immensely rewarding or supremely frustrating, with Laurence and these 2 assholes.

Much prefer the 1 on 1 hunter-type boss enemies myself. Both
Maria
and OoK were tough but really fun to fight; did the latter on my first attempt, down to my last blood vial, wildly slashing the last of his health as his electricity started. Heart was pumping.

The trolls seemed impossible at first as I have a habbit of dodging left for some reason. As soon. As I tried right to see if it made a difference it was a hell of a lot easier.

I also mostly prefer hunter style fights. Creates that dance of death feel I think the game feels designed around.

sheaaaa

The trolls seemed impossible at first as I have a habbit of dodging left for some reason. As soon. As I tried right to see if it made a difference it was a hell of a lot easier.

I also mostly prefer hunter style fights. Creates that dance of death feel I think the game feels designed around.

Yes! Dance of death is a great way to put it. Feels much more like what the game's systems were built to do; camera jerking everywhere when I'm under Laurence is not cool.

He also said he wanted to do a "lighter" game after DS1 and then put out Bloodborne which is the darkest game they've made so far. I think we're just going to have to wait and see what happens.

Yeah, let's not forget Kojima kept sayig "this is the last Metal Gear" since 1. What Miyazaki wants and what From will let him do are probably different things. Soulsbornes print money.

wiibomb

just a question guys, a couple of days back a message popped up before I could load my save, I finished the DLC and a message in the start screen said that the DLC was not detected and I had to download it again if I wanted to use the save data.

I erased everything and downloaded the patch again, now I'm loading the game but the tombstone of the DLC doesn't have the messengers or anything to access the lamps there, I have my weapons and everything, but I cannot access the areas.

since I finished the DLC, I get locked out of it when I finish it? or do I have a problem with the DLC? I fear they locked me out for some reason

myco666

Thanks myco you saved my ass a couple of times with those staggers.

No problem! Played little bit more carefully after being way too ballsy on the first try haha!

Dangerously close to starting fresh as a pure arcane build to eventually use Holy Moonlight Sword. Fun idea or no?

Pure Arcane for HMS is not a great idea. You need bunch of Str and Skill to make it actually decent. If you are going for pure Arcane go for
Kos Parasite

Tuck

Got to Ludwig last night, and he destroyed me. I can get him down to 2/3 but then he seems to start getting more aggressive.

Its super satisfying when I manage to dodge his attacks, though.

Might be on this for a while. I'm nearing the end of the game so I want t get through the dlc first.

Pure Arcane for HMS is not a great idea. You need bunch of Str and Skill to make it actually decent. If you are going for pure Arcane go for
Kos Parasite
So HMS is better with a Skill/Strength hybrid build? No point in taking advantage of the A arcane scaling? That's a shame.

myco666

So HMS is better with a Skill/Strength hybrid build? No point in taking advantage of the A arcane scaling? That's a shame.

Well the stuff that uses projectiles scales only with Arcane. Not sure how much the regular swings when transformed/buffed scale with Arcane but from what I've read that weapon is just a massive investment of stats for it to be good.

I have to say the
Boom Hammer
has a fairly boring move set that doesn't really do enough damage for the amount of stamina and time it costs to swing that thing. I'm loving the
Amylgdala Arm
on the other hand.

Well the stuff that uses projectiles scales only with Arcane. Not sure how much the regular swings when transformed/buffed scale with Arcane but from what I've read that weapon is just a massive investment of stats for it to be good.
Found this on the wiki:

Deals physical and arcane damage both one-handed and two-handed, however the projectile deals only arcane damage.
Cannot be buffed by Empty Phantasm Shell.
Cannot be changed to a different element by using Gems that give Fire or Bolt bonuses.
Weird. So I guess you need Strength/Skill/Arcane hybrid, with Strength and Arcane being the most important (B and A scaling respectively at +10).

My stats at level 114 (I think) are:

Vit: 30
End: 30
Str: 28
Ski: 40
Blo: 5
Arc: 30

With gems, my MGS +7 is 560ish damage total in stats, and I can do about 800 on weaker enemies if I hit them with a swing and beam at the same time. 2H L2 does about 400-500 on bosses in NG+. You definitely need to have a jack-of-all-trades build for MGS to be effective.

Finalow

between the Whirligig Saw and K. Parasite what's the better weapon for a str/arc build? edit. I mean in PVP

edit2. physical gems are useless on the Parasite? I hope not 'cause I don't really want to farm arcane gems, if I decide to go with that weapon.
anyone :'(

My stats at level 114 (I think) are:

Str: 28
Ski: 40
Blo: 5
Arc: 30

With gems, my MGS +7 is 560ish damage total in stats, and I can do about 800 on weaker enemies if I hit them with a swing and beam at the same time. 2H L2 does about 400-500 on bosses in NG+. You definitely need to have a jack-of-all-trades build for MGS to be effective.
Thanks for the info, that definitely appears to be the case. I think I'll shoot for this in NG:

Overall: 80

Str: 25
Skl: 15
Bld: 5
Arc: 25

Voidwolf

When you enter the Research Hall there's a patient with an enlarged head searching the water asking if anyone has seen his eyes. Is there a quest tied to him or do I just kill him?

taybul

When you enter the Research Hall there's a patient with an enlarged head searching the water asking if anyone has seen his eyes. Is there a quest tied to him or do I just kill him?

I kept him alive too just in case but in the end he didn't seem to be linked to anything. Killed him.

Raitaro

No. It was originally going to lead to somewhere (I think the bridge where you fight the Cleric Beast) but it got cut from the final game.

This locked door and the sealed hatch in Byrgenwerth that looks exactly like the opened one after the Gascoigne fight are the two things I definitely had thought (and hoped) that they'd do something with in the DLC, even if it had been them leading to a small additional room with an item (instead of a completely new major area) to make them seem less pointless.

Quite a bummer they left them as is.

Carcetti

KP only gets benefits from Arcane and all your points in Str are useless for that weapon. If you have 50 Arc and care to farm some Arcane gems it is great but otherwise go with Whirligig Saw.

Is there a good chalice for those gems or what? I raised ARC to 65 and the parasite still sucks bad, definitely needs some heavy duty gems.

RiggyRob

It seems like the only significant NPCs in the area are:
the woman trapped in the chair asking for brain fluid and the enlarged heads that just sit on the floor saying splish splash or will I curl up and become an egg.

The rest of them are just normal crazies.

xPhinehas

Does anyone know if the DLC scales with your level? Because I see people beating the first boss saying they're level 50. I didn't do him until level 100 and it was still a little challenging. Just looking for some thoughts.

Well I went and
"accidentally" killed Saint Adeline before completing the quest
. Oh well,
I still have all of the blood from the previous game and good runes.

LobosJr just beat the first DLC boss on NG+7 with fists only! Unbelievable achievement. I think it took him something around 20 hours. Next up is
Living Failures
which should be relatively easy thanks to backstabs.

RiggyRob

Episode 13, Pimmsy vs. Celestial Emissary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsviYUoEaQA

Rifle Spear's thrust damage utterly murders kin enemies, so it's no surprise that this is the shortest video of the lot. It's most definitely her favourite weapon at this point.

For looking quite intimidating, especially with the tendrils out, Celestial Emissary is not all that tough.

I wonder who the Celestial Emissary is supposed to be - the rest of the bosses have specific names but Celestial Emissary is the only one that's generic.

Arjen

Does anyone know if the DLC scales with your level? Because I see people beating the first boss saying they're level 50. I didn't do him until level 100 and it was still a little challenging. Just looking for some thoughts.

No, only increase in difficulty comes from NG cycles.

Top Bottom